Dwarf Chenille (pendula)

Phelan, CA(Zone 8b)

I want to get a chenille for an indoor plant. I think they are amazing. I have a north window and I'd like to hang it there. I have low humidity though, even though I mist daily. Would a pendula be the best choice, since I don't want a giant plant. Or would hispida be better? I've never had a chenille before. Any chance of it blooming indoors? Even though its a N. window, it gets a bit of sun, and here in S. Calif. we rarely have a cloudy day. There are so many types that I'm not sure what would be best for my situation. I don't want to get a type that is particularly fussy. Or all chenilles fussy? Thanks.

Randi

(Zone 1)

I've never grown this plant but it sure is pretty! Plant Files says it's suitable for growing indoors, so if you find one, you should try it!

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/3308/

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Chenille plant (acalypha hispida) is a woody shrub but should be a good houseplant (mine died indoors though which I think was due to the dim light).

Strawberry kittentails / foxtail / firetail / pendula (acalypha repens) has always come back for me after being indoors for the winter despite going dormant or semi-dormant. I let a very large container of it outdoors this winter and just brought in a small pot of cuttings for insurance. Late this spring the large pot left out all winter started sprouting new shoots. Now I know I do not have to worry about keeping this plant indoors.

Here is the large pot in early July.

This message was edited Aug 27, 2007 2:34 PM

Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Concord, CA(Zone 9a)

I have this plant as a houseplant. I had it in my kitchen but it got so big and the fuzzy things reminded me of caterpillars and gave me the creeps(lol) so I move it into my office. Mine will completely wilt if I forget to water it and come right back when I do. It gets lots of light and some direct sun in the morning.
Linda

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I have pendula... I have had it outside all summer, and it has done well. I will bring it in for the winter. It took very bright light with some sun to get it to make catkins. I'm not sure a north window would give it enough light.

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

VA_Rose,

Leave half of your A. repens outside for winter. Not sure how much colder your winters are than ours, but it's worth a gamble.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i think it is Plant Delights that says the pendula over-winters in surprisingly colder zones. i've forgotten now what zone they are (somewhere in the carolinas) but their's comes back and mine is outside and has survived frosts and light freezes. mine is in a concrete pot and only gets morning and a tiny bit of afternoon sun. it never stops blooming. there is a cedar tree close by that protects it from intense sun. the only thing i don't like is that it quickly outgrows a pot and needs watering constantly.

Phelan, CA(Zone 8b)

It does get down to 15F here occasionally in winter (being the high desert), but if you're in zone 7b, and yours comes back, I bet mine would too. I have an area though, that gets my unrelenting summer heat and dryness. Its fenced, to keep my plant eating dog out! There is no other area I have that isn't dog safe. Believe me, it gets to 115 here sometimes for weeks on end, with humidity about 15%, so that is why I was wanting to keep one as a houseplant. But if it won't bloom in a north window, I guess I'll have to come up with a plan B. My west window is already CRAMMED with plants!

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

This is another one that I have. The smaller one.
;) Donna

Concord, CA(Zone 9a)

Here is a picture of the one I had hanging in my kitchen. It blooms constantly
Linda

Thumbnail by LindaCA
Phelan, CA(Zone 8b)

Oh, Linda! I'm sooooooooo envious! That is one show stopper of a plant!

Randi

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

this thread made me finally un-pot mine and put it in the ground, so thanks! it is so happy.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.