Prince of Orange Philodendron

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I'd like to propagate this just not sure what method to use? I just up potted it and may give it a little more growth time but I really love this plant and would like to be able to share starters with others.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Holly,

I would give it more time to grow. It's too nice to start cutting. When it gets leggy, then you might want to do it. If you do decide to cut it, I've had lots of luck rooting those in a pot of moist Perlite.

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Mmm mm, Holly! Very nice.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks, I saw one of these at the Conservatory in Baltimore and just had to have one. It was just gorgeous.
Your right HC I do want it to get bigger and fuller. This was just a very little 4 in pot. But how do I propagated it when I'm ready? There are quite a few root like nubs 1/2 to 2 inches long comming from the main stem. Do you just cut the top off? That really would be bad. Will it develop more plants along the side comming from the roots?

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Yes if you cut it, it will produce new shoots at a lot of the nodes but they will be so much smaller (best to cut these later and start new plants on their own roots). Last year I cut some of my leggy philos and put them all in a glass pot full of Perlite and water was then added. They rooted very easily but there is a caveat on this method - if a rainstorm pops up and washes a lot of the Perlite out then the excess water is prone to souring and causing rot. A pot with drainage would be better but that means keeping the medium moist (every day). Many, many years ago I had a Red Princess that was over 6 foot tall and I pruned it back to a foot or so and stuck 12 inch sections in Perlite - they all rooted but then we got so much rain for a week or two that I wasn't paying attention and a lot of rooted sections started to rot.

Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

Another method is to let it get leggy while laying down on the soil medium so it roots all along the length of the stem. After you are sure that nearly every node has roots in the soil, you can begin cutting between the nodes. The sections will already be rooted and can start budding right away. I'm doing this now with a large Philodendron maxima, but it is too soon to see a bud starting. I made just one cut to see how it works, but in the case of Philos with longer internodes, you get more propagation possibilities. But to get the hang of it, you too might start with one cut and then go from there.

LariAnn

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks LariAnn, I'm getting more and more interested in propagation. Up till now most of my propagation skills amounted to throwing cuttings in a jar of water and crossing my fingers. I just got back from a rather long trip and although some of my house plants are looking a little rough the Prince of Orange is in great shape. I up potted it just before we left and boy has it grown.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.