Yes, I will submit and error............thanks

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I am through with propagation and size only for the O's

added one description
turned in a couple of errors
Don't have in database
Optimara Little Apache Girl
Optimara Teressa

Optimara Little Apache Girl and Optimara Little Apache are the same plant. We have an entry for Optimara Little Apache, so that's fine.

See if you have an entry in FC for Rhapsodie Teressa. Plantcrazii notes in her description that it is from the Rhapsodie series, so it should have Rhapsodie in front of the name, not Optimara.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Gail, Optimara Little Apache Girls is an alternate name for Optimara Little Apache. The AVML has it listed as Optimara Little Apache, but the Optimara website has it listed as Optimara Little Apache Girl, so we put both on the PlantFile entry.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

OK...........I will look in the Rhapsodie group for Teressa...............off to the post office........and I will wait for further instructions from Snowrose.................as to where to go..........

edited to say that Teressa is in my database..........will add her description as soon as I get back...........

This message was edited Aug 28, 2007 11:19 AM

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Joan, there was some confusion over another AV's name... 'ChantaSpring' seems to be an un-registered but recognized named variety (hybridizer unknown). On a couple of websites (Violet Gallery, for instance), it is listed as 'Chanta Spring'. I put the two word spelling down as a synonym on the entry for "ChantaSpring," but please let me know if I should have handled it differently. I didn't know how to do the "aka" notation that I see in the entry for 'Optimara Little Apache (Girl)'.

Here's the link to the PF entry for 'ChantaSpring' aka 'Chanta Spring', http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/154779/

Thanks!

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I put the info on the other thread..............I think you read it critter.................

1:03 PM

Post #3910160

Edit
Chantaspring -$7.00- Very unique! Single, yellow, bell-shaped little flowers, bloom in clusters above medium green, pointed foliage. This miniature trailer makes a great little show plant

*****Chantaspring (one word) came to me with 3 distinct crowns..........she was part of the order that got baked by UPS........but she is coming along fine now.......she is on his catalog under miniature trailers

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Gail. That's the Lyndon Lyon description I used when adding a note to the entry. I'm still uncertain whether to treat the mentions of "Chanta Spring" as a mis-spelling or as an "aka" or "synonym" for "ChantaSpring" (also "Chantaspring" -- I've seen it both ways).

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Jill, you had it in the synonym field of the entry. Since it's an additional cultivar name, rather than a genus/species synonym, it goes in the additional cultivar field, typed in like this (aka Chanta Spring) Use the parentheses around it also. I've corrected the entry, so you can go and see how it looks now.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Joan, that makes sense, and thanks for setting that field straight. However, I didn't see an "additional cultivar" field when I was entering information... where do I find that?

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Look here http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/add.php and you'll notice that it's underneath the submit button, in the optional information place. That's when you are adding an entry from scratch.

If it's an entry that's been created by someone else, then you will have to submit it as an error report. We need to do that.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

OK, thanks! If I come across anything like that again, I'll submit it as an error report.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

This is an interesting note..........I emailed Paul Sorano at LL...............about Chantaspring

Sorry, no. All we know is that it came from England.

LLG
----- Original Message -----
To: info@lyndonlyon.com
Sent: Tuesday, August 28, 2007 4:07 PM
Subject: Miniature trailer Chantaspring

I ordered this plant from you and can't seem to find the hybridizer.........Do you know by chance?
It is a wonderful AV mini trailer.
Thanks
Gail

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Gail, thanks for following up on that and posting his response.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Gessiegail...thank you for your contribution on the O's details. You got that done 1-2-3. There is very little left to do now and I am thrilled to say that well over 1,000 african violet Plant Files have been done. If you are reading this Joan, what was the total number of AV entries in PF again?

I am astounded and amazed with the phenomenal results from our AV Forum team. Truly, almost unbelievable.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Right now we are at 1730 Saintpaulia entries. We started with 1750, but we've located some that were duplicates and some that were mistakes.

I'm finally home after a day full of running, and won't be working any tonight. I only made it through Optimara Little Pueblo before we left today, but I'll finish up the rest in the morning. I'll be up quite early, so I'll have time. :o) Just didn't want y'all to think I'm slacking! ;o)

I, too, am truly astounded at how quickly this has progressed! It has been an amazing team effort! :o)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

So, when all is said and done very soon now, all 1,750 will have been gone through and completed one way ot the other. That boggles my mind, Joan!

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Yep, with everyone working pretty steadily, it's going along quite rapidly.

It was on the 20th that the team coordinations started, so it's only been 8 days!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Hey, I've just discovered that Mystic has been hitting the C's and entering some descriptions as notes... thanks!

I'm up to 'Cool Blue', and I'm calling it a night... I'll get there, bit by bit! :-)

Crossville, TN(Zone 6b)

Progress Report:
I worked quite a bit yesterday. I will do a few today and finish up Thursday.
Linda

The O's are complete from 'Optimara Little Cheyenne' to the end.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Critter - how nice of mystic! That should help you a lot. You'll be done with the C's before you know it. Thanks!

RDT - I'm excited. Can you believe we are almost there? Yipee!

Raingazer - Great going. Thank you as always for everything. Thrilled..

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Actually, I think she just popped in with a few descriptions... but that's fine, as it's actually really quick to just put them in as I go along. I have FC open anyway as I work, since it's easier (to me) to switch between windows than to keep scrolling up and down while adding the details.

I may not finish them off in one fell swoop, but I'll get them done. :-)

Crossville, TN(Zone 6b)

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/155196/
Which of these colors should I mark for dark lilac?

Blue-Violet
Violet/Lavender
Purple

linda

I'd probably go with Violet/Lavender, Linda. Someone, can't remember who, said that was the best choice for Lilac.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I've been marking more than one color when I wasn't sure which best described the bloom. Some "coral" blooms look very pink to me, for example, so I've checked both "coral/apricot" and "pink" for those... I figure they should pop up when somebody searches for "pink." And if a description says "rose-pink" I check off both "pink" and "rose" for that one.

Just use your best judgement and keep the searches in mind... think of if you would want this plant to come up when you searched for "purple" or for "violet/lavender"... I do think that "violet/lavender" sounds like the best choice for "lilac," but if you find a photo that looks really purple, then check that one off too. At least, that's my thought on it! :-)

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

each and every picture of the same plant looks differently than the one before...........that is why we follow the descriptions that AVSA gives us.................that is my humble opinion........some pictures put in the FC are so doctored by editing they don't even look like the same bloom I have at home.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

You're right about photos being unreliable, and even the same plant can bloom with different shades of colors at different times. But color descriptions are also subjective, and one person's pink can be another person's rose or coral... Either way, we're setting up the PF entries so that the main color of the bloom is what's searchable, and that's what's important. :-)

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

I would think if you were doing your search for pink, you would do the search for rose and pink and coral anyways. I hope you're not suggesting going over all the african violet entries again just for that reason.

This message was edited Aug 30, 2007 12:04 AM

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I'm not suggesting that at all -- that would just be nutty, LOL. I'm just saying that where I wasn't sure which one color to pick for the Bloom Color description, I checked off more than one if I thought that gave a better indication of the main color of the flower.

There are going to be some minor differences in how we enter details, both now and in the future when we add AVs to the PF. But I think we're all generally on the same page now, and that'll make the AV entries more consistent and useful.

For Bloom Color, I think the important thing is that we've collectively decided that it should describe the main color (sometimes colors plural) of the bloom and not minor colors like edges, fantasy markings etc. Whether or not we check off more than one box to describe the main color is going to depend on our own judgment at the time, especially when it comes to hues like "wine" or "lilac" that aren't specifically listed.

Crossville, TN(Zone 6b)

I am finished with my portion of the O's. Let me know if I can do any more.
Linda

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I'm working my way down the second page of the C's... almost there! I've found it's something I can do with a sleeping kitten on my lap, since it's mostly mouse-work other than the error reports... :-)

(Zone 1)

Congratulations, Ladies! 1750 plants in 8 days! Y'all are AMAZING!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

... aaand bringing up the rear, coming round the final turn... will she make it? Yes! From 'Cabbage Patch' to 'Cypress Swamp', the C's are done, both descriptions and details added & verified.

:-)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

RDT!!! Thank you! Now we can mark those O's completed. We are so close now to the finish line.

Critter, as soon as you are done with the C's, we will all have a Celebration as the entire african violet Plant Files will have been done.

I am overjoyed!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

CEL-E-BRATE GOOD TIMES, C'mon! dah dah de dum dah dada dee dum!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Critter - we were posting at the same time. All I can say right this minute is Hallelujah! What a fantastic accomplishment. I am practically speechless. Thank you doesn't seem enough for all the work done by everyone. Cheers to all!

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

In 10 days no less! Congratulations everyone. You have done a tremendous job here. :)

Yay!!! What great news!! :o) I am so thrilled!! A big thank you to everyone who worked so hard!!! :o)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.