Plant Files Progress Report

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I would say no because think of all the violets from foreign countries that are not affliated or registered with the African Violet Society of America (AVSA). FC2 only reflects plants that have been either registered or submitted as named varieties.to the AVSA.

Someone might want to submit one of these as an entry to PF but we would have no way to verify accuracy if it isn't in the AVSA -Master Variety List- (the AVML on FC 2) at least not within reason.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I agree with Joan in that some are just listed as a name with no info added at all and do appear to be bogus or so obscure no information can be found on them. So, I do agree they should be eliminated.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

ready to go today..................have to start with the mistakes Rain gave to me...............

Andalusia, AL(Zone 8b)

The L's are done with the desriptions.I can;t find any info on the following,if someone with a updated first class could help me with them please.

Little Alex
Little Diamond
Look Twice
Lua
Lyon's Party Parasol.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

jannich, you are making me feel sooooooooooooooo slow...................on page 6 and only 2 pages to go on the R's.........................yeah for Amy and me................she must be working and I am playing right now............

Andalusia, AL(Zone 8b)

LOL.Gail theres not many in the letters I'm doing.I cheated and took the baby letters:) You need to play for awhile,you've been working hard

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I haven't been working very hard, but I take a lot of breaks.................think I need some iced tea right now............coffee is getting cold in the cup................be right back

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I have to go back to work...............where is Amy.............mighty quiet...........my oldest daughter called and talked for 40 minutes.................what a shame...............now I am getting out of the mood to work..............may start again in the morning..................

I'm back! Had to run to the store. :o)

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I was thinking about quitting.................but i won't...................I only have an hour or two left............

Go ahead and quit for the day if you'd like, Gail. There's no way I'd catch up with you tonight. :o)

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Laughing at this old lady who didn't get her 'nap' today......................I'm gone..............but I just have 1 1/2 pages for the R's left.....................

How many entries are you showing for the R's? I show 311, but only 4 pages.

Ewing, KY(Zone 6a)

That would depend on how you have your preferences set. I show 6 pages for the R's I have mine set on 60.

Oh great!! That means I'm further along than I thought! LOL I figured once I got to page 4 it might give a list to go to pages 5, 6, etc. Whew! :o)

All the details have been inserted and error reports sent for the Rhapsodies now. I'm moving along... :o)

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I am not working but just checking on you, amy (LOL)...................mine is set up with 8 pages and 40 to a page...................what is yours Amy???

100 per page, I guess, because there are 311 entries, and there are 11 entries on the 4th page.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Ok.................they are set up a little differently..............i am at the bottom of page 7 so I have about 50 left to do.................will do it in the morning..................plants can wait until this weekend..............lots of babies asking to be potted up........(LOL).................

I'm done with the second page of R's, which ends, for me, with 'Rob's Blueberry Patches'. That means I've only got 111 left! Yay!! I'm also done for the night! LOL

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Rain, I feel your pain....you too Gail. You two are the dynamic duo.

I managed to get the E's and I's completely done despite getting a darling little11 week old puppy this evening. She's sound asleep from her big day.

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

What are you guys putting under "leaf texture" if the description says nothing about it? Hairy? lol Or just leave it be?

Also...are we sending in a report to remove "winter interest" comments?

I'll just go with the flow on both issues. lol

Cheryl

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Hi cjolene...If the description says nothing for leaf texture like glossy, hairy, etc., then just leave it unchecked.

I would send in an error report for winter interest.

Thanks...

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

One more...what about when the size is already filled out...they say 6-12 inches. Do anything about that? Someone may come along later and fill them back in anyways....

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I do send error reports on minis and semiminis if the height has been checked off as 6-12" which I have found plenty of. Maddening it's so silly ;-)

I ask for it to be deleted.

On standards I don't bother if someone has checked off 6-12" even though the whole height thing is so irrelevent to violets.

You're moving so quickly, Snow! You might not, however, move so quickly today, what with your new family member and all. ;o)

cjolene, I posted the guidelines we're following for filling in checkboxes here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/762864/ I think that will answer most of your questions. :o) Good luck and please feel free to ask anymore questions you have. It's important that we all work with the same ideas in mind. :o)

On the height issue, I feel that an empty field invites people to fill in *something*, even if it's not correct, simply because it looks incomplete. In that post I mentioned above, I gave a way to fill out all the fields we possibly can, so that it at least looks like we tried to complete it all, not got distracted halfway through. LOL We don't want to insert incorrect information, of course, but if the field is there, we can have a standardized way of filling it in so there's consistency throughout all the letters. :o)

'Rob's Lucky Charm' does not have the word Chimera in the description, but it does say sucker propagation only. I looked it up at violetbarn.com, it is on the Mini Chimera page, but again, he doesn't give specifics. I'm thinking that one is foliage Chimera, not bloom Chimera. Am I right?

I've just finished 'Rob's Toorooka' and it looks like that is where Gail has gotten to up to this point. I talked to Jan and she's happy doing descriptions for now, so I'm going to move over to J, K, L, and M and fill in details on the ones she's done.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Oh my gosh, you all stayed up again all night.......................I am going to work a while and see if i can finish the R's...................as soon as i get another cup of coffee (LOL)

Nope, I got 5 whole hours of sleep! That's a long night for me! :o)

Don't push yourself, Gail. I know you've got babies crying to be potted up! ;o)

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Amy, Snow everyone................I am finally through with the R descriptions and hybridizing dates turned in..........or reported as errors.............

Let me take some time off and be back this afternoon for another letter...........Amy..........waiting for you to tell me what letter we are going to tackle...........you are doing the hard work on the left hand side..............

And, of course, we have Snow who is doing both sides and did 400+ ones...............i don't think she ever slept (LOL) laughing but mean it!!!!!!!!!!

I have finished filling in the details for all of the J and K sections. I will return to the R section and finish those up. Later. Because I'm selfish and very much desire to retain the ability to walk upright, I'm going to get up and go do something. LOL

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

dmail me when yu can move, also.................i am working around the house so let me know...................

You know, it was bound to happen, but I've done so well so far that I was thinking maybe it would continue peacefully throughout the rest of this process. That was not to be...

I'm minding my own business, working on the PF, looking for a picture of 'Rob's Zinfandel' to see just what they're calling burgundy-red. I clicked a link for one on eBay. No big deal, but it takes me to a list of all AVs posted on eBay. Again, not a problem - I'm not shopping. However, as I'm scrolling to see if 'RZ' is on there, WHAT should I see but 'FRUIT FLY'!!!! OMG!! I've wanted that one for ages!! So, genius that I am (and yet, not wanting to buy anything right now), what do I do but search for Senk and there are a bunch of his on eBay!! If you're in the mood for shopping for Senk AV's head on over to eBay!

I'm going to slink back to my corner and work some more!! LOL ;o)

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

feeling sorry for myself............think I will have a pity party today................i still can't shop on ebay because it is too much trouble to clear my -2 rating (LOL)

I'm telling you, just create a new name!

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

AaHaaa!!! Amy's gonna buy somethin'... Amy's gona buy somethin'... nah, nah, NAH!!!

(let me know if you see 'Spin Art'...)

ROFL No, I'm not. I'm going to be strong, I'm going to resist... *walks off muttering*

OK I had to go check to be sure I knew what I thought I knew, but it's OK because I just received leaves of Senk's 'Merlot' yesterday from a precious DG member! Yipppeeee!!! :o)

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

shame on you.................I think I know from where it came!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You better grow a good plant to give me leaves of that..................

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.