Plant Files Progress Report

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I am happy to let you know, the entire188 african violet Plant Files beginning with the letter 'B' have all been gone through with the official AVML descriptions added and glaring errors reported. I will go back through them again and add more details from the checklists if they apply, send error reports as needed, and so on.

I have also started on the 'A's and have the first 60 (of 242) entries completed as far as official descriptions added.

Yay!! *much applause and cheering* How wonderful, Snowrose! :o) Congratulations on your accomplishment!

Gail and I are plugging right along with the R's, too. She's ahead of me on the descriptions, but I'm checking those boxes as quickly as I can and submitting error reports where needed. mystic and Joan have really been on the ball with correcting the errors, too. We'll get it all fixed yet. :o)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Have you seen enough Rebel's yet? How about Rhapsodies and Rob's?

I'll tell ya, I've seen enough Aca's and Buckeye's to last a while :-)

I agree, Mystic and Joan have been right there.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Well, hello, ladies.......................Snow, you are working so much longer periods than I am.........I never want to see the word Rebel again (LOL)............I have only put the descriptions in of 120+ and you have done both sides of the page. It is really fun but I don't have as much self discipline as you, my friend.....................take a break to get some ice tea..........take a break to put the clothes in the dryer.............take a break to see what Judge Judy is dong, etc...................................................I bet you do have a headache by now.........

i was sleeping while you worked until 3:30 this morning................good for you...................I have found quite a few reports to make...............haven't check my own uploads...........will let whoever is doing those letters of the alphabet....................since i don't even know what I have uploaded.................

By next week I think we will have a lot of people working.................has anyone talked to jannich........last I heard she was sitting on the floor changing wires (LOL)

****edited to say...............do you have to remind me of the rhapsodies and Rob's..............

This message was edited Aug 21, 2007 4:37 PM

I'm not even through all the Rebel's yet!! I'm pretty sure I don't ever want to see another! LOL I know I'm in for it when I get to Rob's though! Whew! LOL Quite satisfying, though, isn't it? :o)

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

now, let me see, why did Rain pick the R's???????????????????

Because I'm a glutton for punishment and had every intention of dragging you right along with me!!! LOL

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Hey, I found a plant i have to have........Rebel's Splatter Kake................starting my want list......
I will go dragging down with you all the way, Rain..........laughing instead of crying..........

Is that not awesome???

Misery loves company you know! ;o) Just kidding! I'm actually having a ton of fun with it!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Oh no, we're going to have a Rebel's rebellion on here! Maybe you'll change your minds about never wanting to see another one when you get to all those Rob's gremlins. You guys have done a lot!

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

yea........................through with the Rebels.......................but certainly found some i would like to grow..............

None of my family or friends would believe me even if i told them i was doing 'book work' for Dave's site.......................Book work is a nasty word around this house...........but this is fun compared to bills, etc..................

Ewing, KY(Zone 6a)

I have to say I'm impressed with all your work. The reports are rolling in like crazy and we are trying to keep up with them. I cheated today I worked on them some from work. I may not always be able to do that. But we will get to them as fast as we can. I want to thank all of you for your work and following through with helping to correct PF. We really appreciate it. That's why PF is what it is today it's all of us working together to make it the best.

Keep up the great work.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Snow and Rain......................I'll wager that you two are sitting in computer cozy chairs!!!!!!!!!! I have the arm chair from my dining room......................think I will go get a good computer chair...........My bottom is sprung (LOL).............but at least I am through with the Rebels and now into Rhapsodies!!!

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I'll just ditto what Peggy said. You all are doing SO great! I cheated today too. I didn't even go to work. I was going to be off this afternoon for a dental appointment anyway, so I decided to just take the whole day. Like Peggy said though, we may get behind at times, but we'll do our best.

Keep up the good work everyone. Soon you'll have the Saintpaulia's up to par. :)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks again Joan and Mystic. We'll be keeping you hopping for a while to come.

Okay, gessiegail. what's your wager?

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

oh no..................are you getting tired of sitting, too.......................I just knew you would have a fancy chair for the computer!!!!!!!!!!! Do I lose the bet?????????????

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

You LOSE the bet, Gail. I am sitting in a straight back wooden chair but it does have a seat cushion. Might add another.

Thank you, mystic and Joan! You've caught up with me now...but watch out! I'm at it again! LOL

I actually have a pretty decent computer chair - padded, leather, high back, with arms...but I'm piled up on the loveseat right now, using the older, slower computer. LOL I'm doing fine! ;o) My dogs are home now and one of them is right beside me, so I'm good! :o)

Off to rebel with the Rebel's! LOL

Ummm...Rebel's Frilly Dilly just completely disappeared before my eyes! I clicked it in the list, got the page that said the plant couldn't be found, clicked the back button, and Poof! It's gone! Talk about a rebellion...

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Ok...............i can see i am missing out on the fun....................back to work...............can't let you catch up with me.........my job is quicker than yours..................sooooooooooo sorry, Amy (LOL)

Nah, don't be sorry. I'm enjoying my job! :o)

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I could find no information on a cultivar by the name of Rebel's Frilly Dilly other than here on DG and on Zipcode Zoo (which isn't always a good resource). It's not in the AVML, no information is available, and I couldn't even find where anyone had it for sale, so I removed the entry.

Sounds like a good decision to me, Joan. :o)

Andalusia, AL(Zone 8b)

J's and K's are done with the descriptions.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

They are done, Jannich??????????????????? I am just now starting page 6 on the R's...........I think i am slow, too..................

Wow Jan! You're moving fast! Great job! :o)

Gail, I do believe there were a few less in those letters than the R's. I bit off a HUGE chunk for us. You're welcome! LOL

I've just finished adding all the details and submitting error reports for page 1 of the R section. This is gonna take a while... LOL There are a very few that didn't have information available, but as soon as Gail gets her updated CD, she'll get the descriptions put in and I'll go back and complete those. I'm making a list for you, Gail!

Thanks to everyone who is helping!! :o) It's really coming together!

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Since I will get through sooner i will come back and help you with the harder part.................I don't know why I am up this late...............it is 1:00 in Tenn isn't it?????????????

Did I miss putting in the descriptions anywhere............just tell me when I make a mistake, Rain.......................my job is easier than yours..............

I think the ones you missed were ones you didn't have descriptions for. I'll send you a list in the morning. You haven't made a mistake that I've seen. You just didn't have the info on your CD.

Yes, it's 1 am here. I am finishing up the last two Rebel's cultivars and I'm off to bed. I just couldn't face anymore Rebel's tomorrow! LOL I want to start fresh! :o)

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

good.............send the list.................and I will then have it to go back...............some of the hybridizer's dates were not on my master list..............for some reason.................

Will have it to you first thing in the morning. It's on the other computer or I'd send it right now. That new CD will solve a lot of these issues, I think. :o)

Nite! :o)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Gail, only registered plants will have dates noting when the plant was registered. Lots of the cultivars listed in First Class 2 are not registered, therefore no date or registration number.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Wow, things are really humming!

I didn't start a new organization & sign up for a letter thread last night because I was so tired by the time I got on that I was afraid I'd miss something while trying to summarize for the new thread... and now I'm throwing things in the car, trying to get on the road...

Snowrose, if you or RainGazer could please start a new organization thread, that would be great! I think this thread is doing a great job of keeping things on track for the folks who are already in this effort, but as Joan suggested a new organization thread would make it easy for others to jump in and help by signing up for a letter section.

I did accomplish something last night at least... CJ, I Dmailed you... the descriptions are either verified or added for the "D" entries. That was something I could do, even half-asleep, LOL. :-)

My FC is also out of date. If anyone has descriptions for 'Decelles' Julie Belle' or 'Delta Frog Prince', please post them or Dmail them to cjolene. Thanks!!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

My FC is completely up to date and neither Decelles' Julie Belle or Delta Frog Prince are listed. I have come across quite a few obscure entries myself as I was going through the files.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Okay, as of now, all 430 african violet Plant Files 'A-B' have been gone through and the AVML official description has been added or checked for accuracy if present. I think I can safely say that at least that part of the A-B files is trustworthy.

Error reports for plant details have been sent (thank you, admins) on many but basically details from the checklists all need to be gone over and either checked for accuracy or completed from scratch.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I just got home from running errands all morning...................all plants have to be watered (the reservoirs that is)..............nap time and then I will hit it late this afternoon.

I messed up on some...............so glad Amy is following me so she can point out where I copied and pasted but didn't hit send (LOL)

I also came across some that didn't exist on either my database or Joan's more updated database..................

see you all later on this afternoon...............

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Hi Gail! Yes, some may not be in the database. For example, I've been growing for years now a chimera trailer 'Hawaiian Trail'(Japan) that is not in the AVML database.

Do they *have* to be in the database for them to be on the PF?

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

No, they don't have to be in the database to be in PlantFiles. If they are sold and available for purchase, or if there's information available about them, that works too.

Great, because it seems like I've seen some nice ones that couldn't be found on the FC cd. Can't remember what they were, of course... LOL

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

It's when we can't find any information on them that we start thinking that the entry might have been made in error, and remove it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.