What is this plant?

El Paso, TX(Zone 8a)

Hi everyone. Does anyone know this plant, by any chance? My neighbor gave it to me and a I love it, but have no idea what it is. On the Plant ID forum it was suggested that it may be a cissus striata or a tetrastigma, but it doesn't seem quite the same as either of those. Has anyone got any suggestions?
Thanks! Melissa

Thumbnail by Drinnian
El Paso, TX(Zone 8a)

Here's another image.

Thumbnail by Drinnian
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I wish i could help you...............but I'm sure that some knowledgeable person will mosey along in a while..............pretty leaves..............

El Paso, TX(Zone 8a)

Isn't it pretty? I really like it. Thanks Gail.

in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

This website may help with Id. http://www.southerntropicals.com/galleries/Ivy/index.htm

This message was edited Aug 11, 2007 8:30 AM

El Paso, TX(Zone 8a)

I think it must be some type of cissus, because it sure looks similar to the pictures on the site and others. Now I just need to figure out which type. :)

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

what a neat site...........another bookmark

(Zone 1)

May be this Cissus: Grape Oak Leaf Ivy: http://www.rhapisgardens.com/cissus/

(Zone 1)

Check out the last photo in PF:

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/54583/

Your plant is really healthy looking .... Lovely Plant!

(Zone 1)

Or ... maybe it could be Chestnut Vine:

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/55365/

(Zone 1)

Was just googling some plants and came across this site .... scroll down to the sixth plant from the bottom .... it's called Parenthocissus Strictra - looks a lot like your plant!

http://www.angelfire.com/oh3/customecos/tropicals.htm

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

thanks for this site , plantladylin!!!

(Zone 1)

You are welcome Miss Gail! I meant to see if they were in Garden Watchdog ... must go check!

(Zone 1)

Just searched .... not in Watchdog. I might just have to place a little order to check them out!

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

i bookmarked it as it is a great site!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! add it to Watchdog

El Paso, TX(Zone 8a)

My thanks are definitely added and I've bookmarked the site as well. :o) You know, I'd been thinking it was the cissus striata, but it looks a lot like the parenthocissus strictra. Thanks for helping me find that!

(Zone 1)

You are welcome but I can't really take any credit. I had given up and just happened to see that plant as I was scrolling through that website. And, it sure looked a lot like your plant!

Wonder if any other DG'ers have done business with this company? If I do end up buying from them I will definitely add it to the G'Watchdog list with my comments.

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Good call Lin!
I *thought* that looked like an EA pot...but never imagined it would be a parthenocissus, since they're fairly hardy, and hadn't imagined them growing indoors (we have an uncontrollable monster of one type growing outdoors).

EA has it on their website....it's P. *stricta* (the other website spelled it wrong.)
http://www.exoticangel.com/Varieties/ShowCategoryDetails.aspx?categoryid=50

I couldn't get the photos on that other site to load, but they do certainly have some things that aren't 'run of the mill', don't they!

Well, I was in the right family with my guess of C. striata, too!
Tetrastigma is much, much larger than the plant pictured. I'll have to get a photo of mine.

(Zone 1)

Oh Yes Nan .... Please post a photo of your Monster!! I have never heard of this plant before and really like the looks of it. Maybe we could do another trade and you could send me a cutting of yours!! I would have to keep it as a container plant down here .... if it's uncontrollable in Wisconsin, it would probably take over the State of Florida! LOL.

....... I can't really take any credit for the ID ... just happened upon the photo when I was at that site looking around and remembered the pic that Melissa had posted!

El Paso, TX(Zone 8a)

I'm giving credit to everyone who answered. Ya'll make things way too easy for us newbies. ;o) I'm still learning about plant families and all those things. I'm pretty sure I have another C. striata. It's a miniature grape ivy.
Lin - I'm trying to start a cutting of this plant for Flicker. It's only the second cutting I've ever started, so I'm not sure how well it'll go. I managed to get a cutting from my variegated ornamental sweet potato vine to take, but I'm not sure how much of that was luck. lol Anyway, If you'd like, I can cut a bit more off and try to start one for you as well.

~Melissa

(Zone 1)

Oh Melissa .... that would be wonderful, or you could send me an un-rooted cutting and I could root it! Tell me what kinds of plants do you like? I would love to send you something in trade! Anything special you've been wanting? I have many, many plants .... I might have something you'd like to try!

(Zone 1)

Nan: I just linked to the EA site you gave and read about this plant. Realted to Virginia Creeper which grows WILD down here in Florida! I have Virginia Creeper Vine growing all over my fence in the backyard and climbing up a tree ... a nuisance plant in some instances. It is really Beautiful in the fall when those leaves turn colors! I will go out tomorrow and take a picture and post it here!

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

That's what I was talking about that we have growing outdoors against the house too, Lin.
It grows up through the deck, along the brick, and some years, when kept in check, provides a little bit of shade for some of my plants back there (during the summer). I, too, love it's fall coloring. That and the way it looks growing against the brick in the summer are the only reasons i don't try to totally eradicate it!

I do have the Tetrastigma growing indoors, though, and will try to get a photo of that to show you how big the leaves are. I wouldn't mind sending you a cutting, but I have to tell you that I've found it hard to root....though you may have better luck with the constant warmth and humidity in FLA.

Good luck w/your rooting, Melissa!
Sometimes, in the spring I've been successful rooting Cissus (same family) in water, but ithat method often doesn't work for me in the fall.

I note that the EA site states to keep this plant warm, but my Cissus seem to prefer cool temperatures and very little water indoors during the winter, so it'll be interesting to see what really works with this one.

El Paso, TX(Zone 8a)

I'll let you know if I manage to keep it alive. LOL Like I say, still very new. Every day that my plants are still thriving is a day that I'm happily surprised and gratified.

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

OH...something I forgot to mention about Cissus, anyway, is that during the winter they seem to go dormant.
I would think that Parthenocissus, indoors, would do the same....not sure.

They have a lot of leaf & vine loss which might lead you to think that the plant is dying, but don't give up on it.
Just allow the soil to dry quite a bit and give them only enough water to prevent the roots from dying.
You'll be pleasantly surprised in the spring when they begin regrowing nicely!

El Paso, TX(Zone 8a)

Thank you for telling me that! I probably would have thought that I'd accidentally killed it. I'm so glad that I found DG. I shudder to think of all the mistakes I'd make without the things I'm learning here.

(Zone 1)

This is the Parthenocissus I have growing in my backyard - Virginia Creeper Vine! It's much larger than the one you have Drinnian. I think the one you have that you sent me cuttings of is the one that stays small and is good for terrariums! This large stuff in my yard takes over everything as you can see by the photo of it growing along my fence! Here's the Plant Files link: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1695/

Thumbnail by plantladylin
El Paso, TX(Zone 8a)

That's gorgeous! I may have to check whether that will do will in my zone. I'll be looking for vines to mix with honeysuckle for the trellises we're putting against the walls in the backyard.

(Zone 1)

Yep ... this will grow in your zone! It grows from Zone 3a to 9b!! I could always send you some to try! I'm not sure how well it will travel but at least we could see. I am ALWAYS pulling this stuff up from my yard .... it takes over everything. See this pic where it's growing up a little hot house. It's trailing all over the ground back there too. Let me know if you want me to send you some of this to try! I'd be glad to get rid of it! It is really beautiful in the fall .... the leaves turn gold and reddish before falling off. It does go dormant in the winter but comes back quickly every spring!

Thumbnail by plantladylin
El Paso, TX(Zone 8a)

I'd love it, if you wouldn't mind sending something again so soon. :o) You've already about doubled my indoor collection. LOL Do you think it would be okay potted for a couple of weeks. I'm not planting anything in the yard until mid-september. It's been so darn hot here!

(Zone 1)

If it doesn't live in a pot for a few weeks I can always send you more or if you want I will wait until Mid September to ship it? Like I said, this stuff is taking over parts of my backyard! We have pulled it up and thrown it away many times over the years ... it travels along the ground, up shrubbery and trees and as you can see, along the fence! It's very invasive here if we let it go! I've just never taken it all out because it is real pretty especially in the fall.

El Paso, TX(Zone 8a)

I'd love it! I know I'll be putting honeysuckle on the trellises, but I wanted to combine a couple of different clinging vines. I think these two will look very pretty together.

(Zone 1)

They really would look great together! Years ago I planted this one plant I got at Wal-Mart called Cape Honeysuckle: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1758/ That stuff took over our backyard .... had to finally hire a guy with a bobcat machine to come in and get it out last year! It was beautiful when in bloom but really grew up into the trees along the fence as well as out into the grass. It actually took over an area 15' out from our fence into the backyard in some areas! We cut and cut and dug and dug and just could never get a handle on eradicating it all ... so we finally had to hire someone with a machine to dig it out! There is still some of it growing in some jungly area on the outside of the fence! I am watching it closely so it doesn't come back into my yard! I will try and see if I can get some of that too if I don't have to go too far into the overgrowth! I am deathly afraid of snakes and we had two deadly coral snakes in our yard this past spring! Hubby killed one but the other one got away. Our next door neighbors had two pygmy rattle snakes in their yard and those guys are deadly too! I don't like any snakes but the poisonous ones really scare me! There's some major construction going on at a church down the road and all the critters are running this way from all the land clearing!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.