Have we done white?

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

This is a silene, white campion, don't quote me on species, but anyway, it self sows for me in shady yucky (maple-rooty woodsy fringe) places and has small pure white flowers to brighten them up. Then there are cute cup like seed pods.

I noticed recently someone 'wanted' it, so I sent seed and got five packets of poppy seed in return! A great generous trade. Next spring is P. somniferum heaven here.

Thumbnail by sallyg

the pod.

Thumbnail by sallyg

Here's what got me excited about white. Only the Lonely flowering tobacco. This gal is in the corner of a nice new bed and obviously loves it cuz she's just shy of six feet tall, like someone else I know
: ^)
I'll have a zillion seeds from this.

Thumbnail by sallyg
Brunswick, MD(Zone 6b)

Sally, glad you started whites. One of the first things I discovered when I started gardening was that my favorite color purple that I was choosing for plants get's lost in the shade. So whites have become one of my favorites! Here's an astilbe, lost the cultivar name.

Thumbnail by miatablu
Brunswick, MD(Zone 6b)

And here's my Clematis 'Henryi'

Thumbnail by miatablu

so so pretty! Who else?

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Sally, could you save me some seeds from your flowering tobacco? I love nicotiana sylvestris. I had it in my flower bed by the garage for several years, it kept self sowing and coming back. But it hasn't returned the last couple of years.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Sally: I love the picture of your son taking a big whiff of Nicotiana. It's amazing how tall that variety gets! Don't you love how it perfumes your garden in the evening?

miatablu: White flowers are wonderful in the garden because they you can see them at dusk, they 'jump' out from the garden bed, instead of being hidden or recessed, plus they are a great foil to use between brightly colored flowers that might otherwise clash.

Here's an Oriental Lily, 'Casa Blanca'.

Thumbnail by Shirley1md

Another Oriental Lily

Thumbnail by Shirley1md

Clematis, 'Lemon Chiffon'

Thumbnail by Shirley1md

Bradford Pear Tree in bloom during the Spring.

Thumbnail by Shirley1md

Climbing Hydrangea

Thumbnail by Shirley1md

Phlox paniculata, 'David'

Thumbnail by Shirley1md

hart- sure thing! I could supply all of mid atlantic!

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Great! Excuse short reply. Keyboard died and using online keyboard.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

sally, that Nicotiana is one healthy plant!!! I just found a few seedlings a couple of weeks ago when weeding - they're not in a good spot but I left them anyway because I really like the plant. Maybe I need to save some seeds to put them where I want them next year LOL

Here's Bottlebrush Buckeye blooming earlier this summer

Thumbnail by rcn48

hart- already in a packet-smile- plus two more plus a good supply for myself. mail them?

rcn- so they self sowed for you? from last summer? with all these seeds, I was wondering if it will for me. I would rather pull too many than do the planting, given the choice. And the bottlebrush buckeye!! I got one about three years ago without researching ahead. LOL. I then read it would be 'sublime' like yours. Mine is rangy and I think I will head back the long stems. Have you pruned yours at some point? This is an early spring pic after I moved it.

Wonderfully cool this morning!!!!!!!! still need decent rain but this helps.

This message was edited Aug 11, 2007 1:42 PM

Thumbnail by sallyg
Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

'Ballerina White' Datura....

Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose

Plumeria 'White Clouds'... (my very first bloom on my very first plumie!)

Now how'd that "weed" get in my planter???

LOL! (Her name is Remy...)

Snow-On-The_Mountain from my mom's garden... (I dearly love this plant!)

love that Remy picture. Love Siamese anyway~~~

Mount Laurel, NJ(Zone 7a)

just discovered your white thread...I was hoping someone would start white! This is Lilium Longiflorum “Easter Lily"
I have them planted along our front porch path. You can find them for a great price after Easter :)

This year we had the most trumpet blooms ever ~ it blooms from mid June to early July in our area

Thumbnail by wind

Gardenia jasminoiodes “Chuck Hayes”
supposedly this is a winter hardy shrub!!! at least I hope so, we just added two this year and this will be our first winter. It is supposed to be even hardier than "Kleims hardy". It is fragrant and has double blossoms which is nice.

Thumbnail by wind

Remy looks so sweet...are her eyes really as blue as they look in the picture? I've never seen a cat with eyes that blue!

Yes... her eyes are that blue. She's a real mess!

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Going to try this again - tried to send and lost everything!

sally, heck the seedlings of Nicotiana I've found in the garden are from the original plants I haven't had in the garden for 5 years! If I'm lucky enough to get my husband to refrain from "weeding" them I might just end up with one as large as yours one of these years LOL

I know what you mean about the Bottlebrush Buckeye. We haven't pruned ours but were fortunate to find nicely branched mature plants when they were purchased. We have two planted in the landscape and the first one is an area which unfortunately receives very little attention (i.e. watering or weeding). This is the second one (waiting to flower) which receives a little more attention - at least the bed is weeded to keep out the competition. I've seen landscape photos where this shrub is planted as a hedge and it's stunning. However, like all Buckeyes, by August the foliage is disgusting.

Thumbnail by rcn48

That second buckeye pic is very nice. Reminds me of oakleaf hydrangea, being sort of distinctive foliage and the white flower.
I got lucky with my big Nico. Biggest of my seedlings, planted in a new lasagne-type area. All of the others are suffering from the drought etc.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Who isn't suffering from the drought, including us! LOL Lots of miserable plants here - we're fortunate that our water comes from a well, but friends who live in the "city" have just about given up with some of their plants, just too darned expensive to try to keep them alive :( The last decent rain we had was on June 29th!!!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Wow, Such beautiful plants. I don't have a lot of white but I have a few. Actually when I thought about it I have more than I realized.
Sally, Love that shot with your son. He is such a cutie.
miatablu, Love that white astilbe and clematis.
Shirley beautiful flowers.
WildRose, Is that a cat nip growing in that planter? LOL
Guess I'll start out with my white butterfly bush. As you can see, I had a little trouble getting a good pic of the flowers themselves. LOL

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Here is one of my Dat's, this one opens at night.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Found this one in my old photos, from earlier this year. Elderberry.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Not the best pic, but my Caladiums are going great this year. I really hope the bulbs store well for me. Hopefully I can get a decent shot of my New Dawn Roses for you, a new group of buds are just about ready to open.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Mercy Sally!! Now I know why Nicotiana 'Fragrant Cloud' (I have plenty of seeds as well) was suggested to me with regard to space. Whew - gorgeous!!
Here's the bloom of 'Fragrant Cloud' - easily one of my all time favorites for scent!!

Thumbnail by Chantell
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

This was id'd as Sweet Autumn Clematis...came home from vacation to a zillion blooms!! Very nice scent as well.

Thumbnail by Chantell
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Gardenia 'Shooting Star' - also said to be cold hardy (finger's crossed)

Thumbnail by Chantell
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Daffy from spring time

Thumbnail by Chantell
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Found moonflowers amongst the sea grass while vacationing last week...

Thumbnail by Chantell

even though it's the end of the season we are still awaiting our nicotiana sylvestris, sweet autumn clematis, and moon flowers to bloom here in Mt. Laurel, NJ

our dog, Holly, in a field of daisy flebane
one of the last undeveloped parcels of land up the street here

Thumbnail by wind

Lovely photo wind!

Welcome back, Chantell! Hope your vacation was splendid!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.