New puppy photos

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I finally figured out how to outsmart the software, which wouldn't let me use the same photo twice in order to spell her name right.

Try this one.

Thumbnail by hart
Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

I GET IT! That's great!

Shenandoah Valley, VA

LOLOL I guess I should have explained. Did you think I was stark raving nuts to be putting together closeups of paws and noses?

Chantell, Baby is such a pretty dog.

Oh, a cute thing. I've been teaching Jello to sit and shake. The other day, she came up out of the blue, sat down next to me and held up her paw. That was to let me know she was hungry. Isn't that cute?

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Don't cha' just love it when it finally "clicks" with them...like ah ha...that's what you want me to do!!

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I guess I should explain in the photo montage I posted a few posts above this one, it's not just random body parts. I used closeups of her tail, nose, legs to spell Jello's name.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

LOL - the second pic' was very clear and I got it right away.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I got it when you re-posted with the double "L"... with the first one, I thought maybe I was supposed to guess which parts belonged to which pup... but none of the pics looked liked Java's coloring, LOL.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Wrigtie got it rightie - Chantell was clueless...very sad...

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

me too, clueless.
:-)
Pups learn so fast when you can be one on one with them. That doesn't happen much here. I've got a visiting 6-week old for the weekend, a four- month, two-six-months, and an 11-month old mixed with 21/2to 16 year old dogs. I'm tickled that the pups sit (even on a signal for some), know out, off, and bedtime. I can't imagine teaching sweet things like that in this mob.

I can tell you are really enjoying her, hart. :-)

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Yes, I am. :>)

Y'all, what Laura does is wonderful. She takes in these homeless dogs, takes care of them including medical care and so on and then finds good homes for them. She's a one woman dog rescue group.

Sit and shake is easy, Laura. At least with pitties, who will do anything for treats. Just hold the treat above their nose and tell them to sit, then shake their right paw and tell them "shake." Then give them the treat. They catch on pretty fast.

I don't know how you do that with a mob, though. LOL

I'm now teaching her to come when she's called outside. She has to come to me and sit (she automatically shakes LOL) and then she gets her treat. You have to be sure to use the same command every time, not come one time and come here the next.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

And of course one of the main keys to the command "come" (try to get this thru to folks sometimes is difficult) - never, ever call them to you to do a correct. They should always associate "come" with a positive experience.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Good point, Chantell. If you need to clean ears, clip nails, or anything else that is "unpleasant", you should go to them, not ask them to come to you.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

yep, when our golden retriever was in the doghouse, it was "bad dog! get over here right now!!"

I also think it seems to help to reinforce the command word with the praise... "That's a good dog, to come when you're called! Good dog!!"

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

As long as we're on this topic, which is near and dear to my heart .... here are a couple of thread for those who have an interest:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/770327/

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/771399/

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Praise of course goes without saying. I guess I thought everybody knew you should have a little praise party every time they do something good.

Good point on not using the come command for something unpleasant, Chantell.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Even works well on the teens....LOL Althought they'd prefer a treat. :)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

LOL, Chantell! And yes, praise goes without saying... I was just commenting on reiterating the command word as you praise... "Good dog to COME when you're called!"

Our older cat was a lot more responsive to praise and scolding than our new kitten... but we're finding other ways to get his attention. Yelling "No" has little effect, but wrapping him up in a towel (or the bottom of my shirt) for a mini time out has an impact, as does tossing him into the bathroom (the downstairs one, with no food or toys) for 10 minutes. He doesn't get let out of the bathroom if he is complaining about it, because I don't want to encourage him to yowl, so I set a timer in order to remember he's in there. :-)

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

OMG - I'm embarrassed to admit the times I'd forget that I put one of the kids in time out...LOL. Luckily they were fairly good at "reminding" me....LOL

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I did forget about Eliot the other day, and I think he was in the dark bathroom, all alone, for nearly an hour. But there was no recurrence of the biting behavior the rest of the day, and he did get a little extra lovin'. (He's teething, but he is expected to take it out on his stuffed animals, not on my hands.)

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

I'm big on positive reinforcement-my dogs "will work for food," some for hugs.

Spinner was adopted today. It seems a perfect match. She has an older brother, 2 1/2, a 5 year old boy, and two adults on a flat, fenced acre. This is Spinner.

Thumbnail by 4paws
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Oh, lucky Spinner! I hope her new home works out beautifully for her. How wonderful that you were able to turn her life around and give her this chance... :-)

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

:-) It's cool when it works out, which is most of the time, each in their own time. Spinner had been with me only since July 4. Daphne, who was adopted two weeks ago, was here since late May '06. Corky's been here since January.

Fredericksburg, VA

we picked this one up 2 weeks ago at th SPCA he is 6 months old and has clubs for paws lab-hound mix

This message was edited Sep 24, 2007 1:20 PM

Thumbnail by mosbyone
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

What a charmer! I love his big pink tongue... bet he gives lots of sloppy doggy kisses!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

OMG Laura....that pup is gorgeous!!!

mosbyone - what a cutie!!! Did you go to the Fred'burg one?

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

mosbyone, that is a pretty dog!
Chantell, she is - and she settled in with her new big brother ( a long haired shepherd) perfectly well. :-) Her brother was adopted on Tuesday, but I took in another pup the same day, so, it keeps going. :-) Placed 3, took in 1; let's see...that makes 9 dogs and a cat-I'm right at my carrying capacity. Two left on this page, the little one will be added next week when it's updated. http://dogrescuers.org/Dogs/private%20adopt%20dogs/laurasdogs.htm#weaver

Hart, sorry to take your thread to the dogs... :-)

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

OMG - those are too cute...that Corky...she'd be great for Baby who drives Amber and Wolfie nuts with her wanting to play...if I win the lotto and get house I'll be calling you!!!

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

She's really a kick, that Cork. She tries so hard to be good, but her desires to be touched sometimes overwhelm her, so she jumps, and she's quite strong, but not so big. She's very smart. I'm surprised she hasn't been adopted, but then, it's hard to tell how long it takes. Her brother was adopted within a few days of being posted on the site. He matched the new owner's best friend's dog...lol...'cept different breeds.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I'm happy to see this thread go to the dogs. LOL

Spinner is so cute and has such a sweet face. I can't imagine you'll have a hard time finding someone to love him.

Mosbyone, your puppy is beautiful. That is the pinkest tongue I've ever seen. LOL

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

:-) Spinner was adopted on Sunday and she's fit right in. Now I have Faithful-no photo yet-another shepherd cross.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

That great! How's Duke doing? Corky is so cute and I love those big ears on Weaver.

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

Duke is fabulous. He's not really big yet, 20-25#, with elephant feet at the end of long legs. The sound of his step is very recognizable. He's really pretty, with so much extra skin on his forehead it wrinkles up like he's concentrating when you talk to him. He's generally quiet and easy going, learns easily but first his attention has to be taken away from the other dogs. He loves to play and loves other dogs! This is different, because most of them focus on me first. It's a bit of a relief, ina way. Probably has to do with the giant abcess he had and me draining it three times a day for a couple of weeks. Not fun for him, I'm sure.

I love 'em. :-)

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

4paws- Those on the page are all charmers and your descriptions are very helpful. Very nice to read!

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

Thank you.
Someone is coming to meet Duke tomorrow. First dog, renter with fenced yard and lots of enthusiasm.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Ooh, I just found this, and my fingers are crossed for Duke to find a wonderful forever home. How did the meeting go?

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

The person didn't call back. I gave him lots of things to think about in being a dog owner. However, Weaver is coming back and Duke is going to the same home for a trial. Weaver was too aggressive with their younger male puppy and freaked them out.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

hart, just catching up on a few of the threads in the forum and realized I never commented on how cute Jello is! When you first posted the photos (like wrightie), it was difficult for me to look at them - was still feeling sorry for myself after losing Flopsy and even more sorry for myself because we hadn't found a puppy to replace her :( Now that Phoebe has joined the family, the "gloom" has passed so I wanted to come back and comment. Would love to see photos for an update - I'm sure Jello has grown alot since August!

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Jello has grown like a weed. She's about half Java's size now and still running me ragged. I wish I had that energy. LOL I'll try to get some new pictures soon.

Java had surgery yesterday to remove a lump on her hip. It's been sent off for a biopsy. I'm worrying myself crazy about it.

She's doing well after the surgery but absolutely despises the Elizabethan collar she's having to wear. It certainly didn't affect her appetite. She had her cheeseburger and the cheeseburger we got to take home to Jello (we got another one for Jello), three/fourths of my order of french fries and two ice cream cones after we picked her up. She was groggy but hadn't had anything to eat since the night before because of the surgery.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Poor Java! I'm sure she's getting lots of sympathy and extra loving. *Hugs* to you and her, and hopes for an all-clear report on the biopsy!

I know this is a puppy thread, but speaking of "growing like a weed," look at Eliot. He weighed in at 6 lbs, 7 oz at the vet this week... he doesn't look like a kitten any more, he looks like a little cat!

Thumbnail by critterologist
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

hart, I'm hoping for a positive report on Java's biopsy. I know the feeling, our other dog, Summer, had a tumor on his back foot that was removed and biopsied - fortunately cancer free, but when Rick took him for surgery I worried myself silly that I'd never see him again. He made it through the surgery just fine, although they had to remove two toes :( He did just fine, didn't slow him down a bit, but we lost him two years ago - old age (15 yrs).

Critter, Eliot is "maturing" beautifully :) Used to have a yellow tiger named Simon, he was the silliest cat! We had a Springer Spaniel (Alex) who used to "play" with him, we'd come home after work and see Alex standing in the driveway with Simon hanging from his mouth!!! The first time it happened I was shocked and the tears started immediately, thought Simon was dead! Then Alex would just drop him and he'd go running off - what a pair!!! LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.