New puppy photos

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Finally got some decent photos of Jello, who is growing like a weed and running me ragged. LOL

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

Yes, she's been digging in the peonies. Note the telltale dirt on the tongue. LOL

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

She loves to plow through the pink evening primroses and lavender next to the garage.

I posted a bunch more photos of her in my diary if anyone wants to see them.
http://davesgarden.com/journal/d/t/hart/3650/

Thumbnail by hart
Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Precious!! How old? Isn't it like bringing a new toddler into your house, that doesn't wear a diaper?

Shenandoah Valley, VA

She's almost 11 weeks now. Growing like a weed. At the rate she's going, she'll grow into those paws in no time.

It's exactly like having a really rambunctious toddler. Without diapers. LOL She's doing really well with the potty training though.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Oh, she's just gorgeous!! What fun to imagine her leaping all around your place.... :-)

please, what's 'well' at this age? getting her outside for about half the times?

cute diary pictures! cute name!

This message was edited Aug 10, 2007 9:39 AM

Shenandoah Valley, VA

LOL Quite a bit more than half, which has surprised me. She has even gone to the back door and whined to go out when she needed to pee a few times, which astonished me. Java was a lot older before she started doing that. I think pit bulls are easier to train than a lot of dogs, though. They'll do just about anything you ask for praise and would jump through hoops of fire for treats.

A lot of people think pit bulls were bred to be fighters. They were actually bred to be people pleasers.

She and Java have started playing with each other, which is cute as the dickens.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

She's as precious as can be! I enjoyed viewing your journal photos too. Looks like Java & Jello are becoming fast friends.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Thx Shirley. Other photos at bottom are Java when she was a baby.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

OMG, Diane...she's gorgeous!!! Ohhh running thru the lavender...bet she smells purty!!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Pit bulls were actually bred to fight bulls. Then were bred for fighting. Check out the history info....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pit_Bull
http://www.bulldogbreeds.com/americanpitbullterrier.html

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Most dogs were bred for specific traits/duties i.e. Bull Mastiff the gate keeper's dog etc. But that was a long time ago...thankfully now we can just enjoy them as the exceptional companion/family dogs that they are. Some of you have seen this pic already...but here's one we had many years ago with my son as a toddler.
As you can see when it comes to actual temperament testing http://www.atts.org/stats1.html they score higher then (more passed) many including beagles.

This message was edited Aug 11, 2007 9:49 AM

Thumbnail by Chantell
Shenandoah Valley, VA

PLEASE don't turn this thread into the usual anti pit bull debate. Those of us who have pit bulls have heard it all including a lot more about the history and breeding of the breed and, frankly, I don't want to take the time to detail the rest of it.

This is why I only posted about the puppy here and now I'm sorry I did.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Hart, I haven't seen any negative posts so far, and I also hope we won't see that debate here.

I know any pup you raise is going to be friendly and well trained and just wonderful!

Jello is a cutie! How are your peonies holding up? LOL

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I'm sorry y'all if I'm oversensitive. Been there and done that with too many people who have their minds made up and don't let things like facts get in the way.

The peonies are tough and her claws are tiny, so far, luckily. I don't know why she loves to dig in that one spot under the peonies. As small as she is, she isn't exactly digging holes, more like scratching the surface around a little. LOL

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

My step son (who you all know lives with me, although he is 30 and well employed, sigh) has a beagle basset mix (who bites) and a pit bull. Both were rescued, one from the humane society, but the other, the pitt, Jeremy found in the Arkansas woods wandering as a tiny puppy. She was starving and had been badly burned. (She still is badly scarred over her entire back.) She was infested with maggots and smelled terribly of rotting flesh.

But the vet got her healthy and Jeremy, who was not looking for another dog, felt he had no choice so he kept Callen.

She is an amazing and very kind dog. But the funny thing is that Jeremy has allowed her to become a lap dog. He didn't want her on the furniture, so he let her sit on his lap. So now she wants to sit on everyone, even at 4 years old. And she is huge -- she really doesn't fit at all!

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Happy , What a sad story with a happy ending.
(Assuming the injury was caused by a human not a natural forest fire) I can't understand how mean people can be when it comes to animals. I just reprimanded a young man who thought it was fun to hunt rabbits with a baseball bat. The neighbor banded him from playing baseball in his lot for a week, I guess it made him feel like a big man in front of his friends.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

We think the injury was intentional. The puppy was wrapped up in an ace bandage when she was found. I have heard, but do not know if it is true, that dogs are intentionally burned when they are prepared to be fighting dogs, to bring out their viciousness. Callen is very sweet, so she may not have shown the desire aggression. But this is entirely speculation.

She was so hungry when she was found that she was eating rocks. To this day, she likes to eat rocks.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Hart, didn't mean to insult anyone, sorry. But when you mentioned that people think they were bred to fight, I wanted to show why people think it. I realize any dog can be agressive but as long as they're raised correctly and socialized as a puppy you typically won't have a problem.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Please don't apologize, flowerjen. I'm sorry I'm so testy on this subject. I'm ticked off at the people who think all pit bulls are ravening beasts and I'm ticked off at the irresponsible and even cruel owners too. Happy, your son is a gem.

Let's all just enjoy cute puppies of any breed. :>)

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

hart-what a sweetie!
Here's the latest pit cross pup in my family (looking for a home)-don't they have similarities? :-) He's Dinky Duke, age 15 weeks.

Congrats on your new family member.

Thumbnail by 4paws
Shenandoah Valley, VA

What a pretty dog, Laura. I hope you find a good home for him. His brindle coloring looks closer to Java's. Jello is a blue brindle with gray where Java is black and tan where Java is gold.

Java has that longer snouted face like that and not so bully looking as a lot of pitties. He sure does have shiny fur. Must have a nice foster mama who is feeding him all the good stuff. :>)

Here's a picture that shows Jello's coloring better.

This message was edited Sep 17, 2007 11:35 PM

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

Hmm, that's still darker than her actual color. Here's Java as a baby. Maybe you can see from these that the regular brindles are much darker.

Thumbnail by hart
Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

:-) That's a fun one - it looked like he was playing with a pillow - I was surprised to see a fluffy cat. :-)

I've never looked much at brindles until recently. Pretty coloring.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Gus thought he was Java's mama and would grab her face between his paws and give her a thorough face washing. They're still bestest buddies. Now Java holds Gus and washes his face. Gus loves it.

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

Absolutely wonderful. Duke is getting regularly cleaned by the older dogs - he had to have his face slit open because of a giant abcess when he was only 5 or 6 weeks old. They keep it clean for him. He's got to be one of the most socialized critters around.

So handsome, Java and Gus.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

OMG what sweet pics, Diane!!! I love brindle coloring!!!
4paws - Duke almost looks like he's got a little Fox or Jack Russel Terrier in him too. Good looking boy!!

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

Word is he has heeler in him, too. His nose is starting to stretch.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Poor little Duke! You'd never know he went through all that to look at him now. I'll bet he's enjoying all his face washers taking care of him.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Hart, she's *gorgeous*. I couldn't even open this thread when you first posted it because it was too soon after losing my own dog. Anyway, I wanted to pop in and tell you how adorable she is. ... and gotta love that dark brindle flavor, just like someone else I used to know! *smile*

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Aw, Wrightie. I'm sorry about your dog. Sending you a big hug.

Java is the dark one. She's a grown dog now, that was a baby picture. Jello is the baby and she's the lighter color. She's lying behind me now napping and snoring after managing to get hold of a bag of mesquite chips for the barbecue and scattering them from one end of the house to the other. Rascal is keeping me busy.

This is a more recent picture of Java.

Thumbnail by hart
Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Whoops, I saw the photo of Java's puppy back and just assumed that it was attached to Jello's cute face. I couldn't make out the lighter brindle pattern. LOL

... and I'll take that hug and raise you one more backatcha.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Okay, I'll take that hug and send you puppy chin licks from Jello. LOL

The back photo is Jello. The one with Gus the cat is Java when she was a baby. Sorry for the confusion. It's hard to get a photo that shows how light Jello's coloring is. She's gray and tan where Java is black and gold.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

I remember them this way: Jello=white blaze and around the nose, Java= 3/4 black mask Cuties - BOTH of em'
(((wrightie)))

like she said--
(((wrightie)))

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

LOLOLOL - I'm OKAY now, but I wasn't a month ago!

Momma's got puppy fever and I'm reading everything on training that I can get my hands on.

((((Hugs Back, my Sistahs)))) lol

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Hey Wrightie if you realllly need a fix...I can send Baby your way for a week or 2...despite being 3 she behaves like a pup.

Thumbnail by Chantell
Shenandoah Valley, VA

Here you go.

Thumbnail by hart
Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

LOL - I'm holding you to that, Chantell. She makes me miss my "Madison," a Rottie boy that I had back in the 90's.

Hart, I dig that montage o' puppy partz!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.