The Heidi Chronicles: The Story Continues

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi KyWoods,

It just may have been baby raccoons playing that night; by the time I read your post that night, I already knew about the arrival of the babies but didn't want to give away the secret too soon. I had to chuckle though when you said maybe it's Heidi's babies - and it was!

LOL - grandcoons!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi Julie,

Thanks for asking. I'm feeling good today and am very, very hopeful that I may be getting better now. The tests finally revealed something serious but very treatable which would appear to explain some of my symptoms, particularly the extreme lethargy and daytime sleepiness. While I had certainly hoped for a less serious diagnosis (but am still quite thankful because it could certainly have been much worse), I was oddly happy to have a diagnosis period.

Although I had mentioned my situation to you guys just to explain why I sometimes could write, I hadn't really stressed the gravity of the situation. The effort to stay awake, to get through a single day, let alone to function in any meaningful way had become an exhausting and often insurmountable daily hurdle, and one which I was having more and more trouble scaling as the problem was actually growing worse. I was missing way too much time from work, even taking considerable time off without pay, and getting little done when I was at work, or at home for that matter. I knew I couldn't continue much farther down the path I was on, and it seemed like I needed an illness in order to get a treatment, get better, and get on with my life.

As if all of this weren't bad enough - and down right scarey to be honest - quite naturally as more an more tests came back negative and I continued to complain of an inability to get out of bed and/or stay awak, the inevitable question of "could you be depressed?" was bound to pop up sooner or later; but I knew quite emphatically that I was not depressed, just very, very sleepy. I kept trying to tell everyone around me, "I have lots of things that I enjoy, look forward to, and want to do - as soon as I take a nap." (LOL, because it's important to always keep a sense of humor.)

So, thankfully, we have finally gotten to (what we believe is) the bottom of the problem. (We know it's a problem, and I'm hoping it's the only one.) Upon relaying the diagnosis, my doctor said "I know you say you feel bad, but most people who have this don't realize how bad they really felt until they start to feel better" - as if to imply I actually felt worse than I realized. I could barely hold my head up and keep from sliding out of the chair in the waiting room; I couldn't image actually feeling worse than I thought I felt. : )

I'm guessing, BTW, that you can probably relate to much of what I'm saying. In my effort to find a match for my symptoms I considered (and researched) Lyme Disease since I've been bitten by several ticks each year over the past few years. The symptoms of Lyme, particularly if it reaches the latter stages before it's treated, look quite scarey and many of the symptoms are similiar to those I've described. Just the other day, in fact, I was thinking of you and wondering how you are doing. Are you doing ok?

On Thursday of last week I began treatment, including both medication and lifestyle changes, better nutrition, etc. Initially, my medication made me so ill that I actually felt worse - and couldn't eat at all. By the weekend I could barely drag myself out back to feed Heidi; you might recall that for several days I didn't stay out with her; there was no news, etc.

I'm very, very happy to announce that yesterday (Tuesday) I appeared to turn the corner. Tuesday I was wide awake at work and feeling good for the 1st time in so long I can't remember. I didn't need to prop myself up with copious quantities of caffeine. I was able to concentrate! The day was not 200hrs long. After work I went for groceries instead of hurrying home for a nap. That night I slept well and awoke the next morning (Wednesday) before the alarm went off feeling alert and ready to start the day! On Wednesday I was down right industrious! I felt as though a thick, grey fog had lifted. All day I kept wanting to sing that "I feel good!" song.

Fingers crossed! I feel great. Thanks for asking. I do hope that you are doing well, too.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi Debbie,

LOL, Scutler's Coon Care & sitting service! Don't I wish Heidi would leave the little furbies with me while she's out shopping, doing the town, hanging out with the girls, etc! (How's Izzy? Hope I spelled it right. Is she still letting you use the pool?)

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi tetleytuna,

Oh my, that IS a great idea! I bought one of those square (with rounded corners) ones just like you described. Mine was red; I think that might signify size difference as mine is 3-4in. I'm pretty sure it's still around here somewhere, probably in the toy box. Widget doesn't like it. I think it is too big for him, not to mention that he's too spoiled to be willing to "work" for treats that he can get for "free" already (The kits are smaller than Widget, but a lot tougher, so it's probably not too big for them.)

Actually, now that you mention it, I have a number of other similiar products, including 2 or more of the Kongs (Thanks for that idea, KyWoods). When Widget 1st arrived her - he was flown in from TX - he was about the cutest little thing I had ever seen - and he was driving me crazy!!! I bought him everything I could find in an effort to entertain him for 2 minutes. I think he had ADHD and needed doggy ritalin. Anyhow, as a result, somewhere around here I have one of every type of treat dispenser, kong thingy, doggy "puzzle", chew toy, doggy teether, etc on the market. (OMG, I was just remembering that I used to have one of those giggle balls, but I gave it to the neighbor because it was too big for Widget.)

Great idea. I'll look for those treat balls tomorrow. Thanks!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Tonight (well, actually last night now as it is after midnight) I packed a goody bag with some awesome grapes (described above), peanuts, cat food, and the camera.To that I added the following toys: a big, yellow, rubber frog with squeaker and with tongue that unrolls when you squeeze it (I floated it in the pool; I just know the kids will love to play with it); the teething keys which I also put in the pool where they lay on the bottom to be discovered and fished out; a velvety soft plush teething ball-like toy with multiple knotted, fabric "strings" of various textures protruding from both ends; and a furry hedgehog toy with rope legs and big furry plush feet attached to his head. I put the latter 2 plush toys beside the pool in the areas where I had seen the kits play the night before.

I went out just before dark. Heidi seems more willing to let the kits out after dark. I filled Heidi's dish extra full so there would be enough food for her and the kits. Almost as soon as I filled the dishes and sat down Heidi came down the fence with 3 babies in tow. I was so ecstatic! I spoke to them gently and softly -- and instantly my neighbors dog responded by barking and barking and barking...for the next 45 minutes. Heidi quickly sent the kits back over the fence to safety. She stayed long enough to scarf down a measure of her dinner and then left as well. As you might expect, when the babies are with her she is extra cautious. Alone she can get away from trouble much faster than she can corral and shepard a pack of babies to safety, so it makes sense that she doesn't take any chances with the kits.

I waited and waited and waited. Juliet came to dinner. Fraidy and Sugar came to dinner as did HRH, but Heidi and the babies never returned while I was out there. It was HOT, around 100F. It was WET - humidy at 100%. Our atmosphere was a fluid. Everything around me was wet, ground, grass, foliage, my bench, the shrubs and trees, everything. I had to remove my glasses because they stayed fogged up no matter how many times I wiped them. The mosquitos gnawed on me like a pack of pyrahna. My mosquito candle went out. When I tried to re-light it - with the book of matches I'd used to light it earlier - the damp matches and striking pad having absorbed moisture from the air just slid past each other producing "mush" rather than spark.

After about an hour I gave up, deciding I'd just have to wait for another day. Maybe tomorrow. Below is the only photo I took. It's Fraidy. After I took this photo I just turned the camera off and quit. I present it to show the effects of moisture on the lens - which I'd already wiped a few times. (I'll bet you are all running out to book a trip here right away!)

Thumbnail by DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

I couldn't resist, so here's the close up (of the "wet" photo). The thing in front of the pool is the hedgehog toy. The thing in the pool in the above pic is the rubber frog. (The kits left as soon as they arrived so they never made it into the pool.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

I just came back from taking the dog out.

All of the toys have been moved! The keys are out of the pool now and about 2 feet away. The stuffed hedgehog is a foot or so from where he had been - and his nose is gone and there's a gaping hole in his face. (Ahhh! Aren't they cute) The floating frog is on the opposite side of the pool, and the teething ball is missing altogether!

It's hard to say "who" played with them. I was thinking that Heidi might return with her kids at some point (but could only wait so long). On the other hand, I neglected to mention that Fraidy kept "messing with" the hedgehog and the frog. She didn't play with them while I was there. She kept touching her nose to the frog and she picked the hedgehog up once. I wasn't sure if she was just curious about these new things or maybe smelling Widget on them or if she was checking for food (probably not as she could smell food) or if she was actually interested in them for play.

But one thing is for sure. Somebody (or bodies) played with them! How exciting! I hope I can get a pick of the kits playing with them, especially the floating frog. I think that would be hilarious.

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

I am so glad you got a definitive diagnosis! Sounds like you are feeling better. Was it Lyme disease like you thought? Is there anything we can send you to make you feel better?

Lyndonville, NY

Our neighbor had West Nile Virus, which is transmitted by mosquitos....he was so sick for months, like you.

Please take care of yourself, there is so much out there now one would never suspect.

Debbie

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Cheryl,

so glad to hear you had a diagnosis and the meds are helping.
nothing like 'not knowing'

..... and to finally get a good nights sleep!! and be able to stay awake at work.

Regarding Lymes Disease.... it does seem more are getting diagnosed with it.... I think i've seen 3 folks on Daves alone that have it.
[I'm sure there's more, but just in threads i've been following.]

I'm sure Heid and the lil tykes came back when all "was clear" and played with the toys.
Hopefully Widget wont mind all the toys he took a pass at, have now become coon baby toys.

When there was a ball or something that Buddy didnt like and i let the neighbors dog have it (big 'ole chocolate lab) Buddy would always want it back. (for some reason, the neighbors do not buy 'Rocky' any toys.... so if i gate is open, he will run in and grab something... which Buddy hates, since it's his yard)

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

Scutler, so glad you got a diagnosis and are feeling better!!!!!!!!

Is that humidity normal for your neck of the woods? I can't even imagine it!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Thank you, tetleytuna

I am feeling SO much better. I sometimes still can't believe it is real, keep fearing that this is just an anomaly and that tomorrow I will be back to the "normal" tiredness and fog; but each day I seem to feel better than the day before. For so long, no matter what "emergencies" were on my todo list, I would go straight home from work and promptly fall asleep. I was unable to force myself to run the simplest errand on the way home. Today on the way home I took a "frivolous" detour to treat myself to a little something special - just on a spontaneous whim. It's been a lifetime since I felt good enough to do that.

No, I don't have Lyme. Although Widget's doctor tells me that Lyme has been confirmed here, it is not so prevalent here as it is in the NE - yet. Due to our longer growing season, we probably have more ticks so if it does get a good foot hold here that will mean bad news. I think there is some difference between the either the type of deer or the type of tick there vs here.

Yes, please keep sending the prayers, good wishes, happy thoughts, and friendship. : )

(As many of you may have noticed, spelling is not my thing, so I'm trying out the google spell check. While I'm learning to work with it, don't be surprised if you see some humdingers due to erroneous autofixes. For instance, when I double checked this post it began "Thank you, tetleytea" having been auto "fixed" by googe.)

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Thanks, Debbie,

Sometimes I am not so good at taking care of myself. When I was well (before the onset of this illness) I was inclined to work long hours and skip doctors visits. By the time I was sick enough to know that I needed medical help, I was almost too exhausted to find the energy to seek it out and follow through long enough to get to an answer. Thankfully, a friend - my customer actually, realizing my dire circumstances, just kept "nagging" me each step of the way until I got a diagnosis. I am very thankful to her for not allowing me to fall by the wayside. I was like the person with hypothermia who just wants to go to sleep, and she was like the person who keeps shaking them, talking to them, and doing whatever it takes to keep them awake until help finally arrives.

(Unfortunately, I do get more than my share of mosquito bytes while outside with the raccoons. I think next summer I may buy a machine to attract and eliminate them.)

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi Terese,

LOL at Buddy and Rocky! They are so like children, aren't they? Actually, like adults, too. Widget is jealous of the raccoons. When I'm going out there he gets a toy and tries to entice me to play with him instead. If that fails, he'll try to escape when I open the door so he can run ahead of me and scare them all away. I have a 40 some inch storage bench (with child safe lift top) in the great room. That's his toy box. I leave it open most of the time so he can access his toys, but when needed (like for company) it can be closed to resume its duty as seating. It is actually full of toys. Last night when I started digging out the things he doesn't like, he was not happy. He did not want to share with Heidi's babies at all. When he goes out there alone again, I fully expect that he will try to drag those toys back into the house again - just like Buddy.

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

LOL about the tetleytea! We don't mind misspellings--we can always tell what you meant, and that's all that matters.

And it's obvious that you don't wish to tell what this mystery illness is--perhaps you don't want to worry us. You did say it's treatable, so we can pray that the treatment works quickly. It sounds like you're doing better already, which is a good sign. I am praying for your continuing and complete recovery, Cheryl. And yes, please get a mosquito zapper.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Thanks, Murmur

Last night was a particularly bad night in terms of humidity, but, yes, high humidity is the norm here. It's about 85% right now (almost 1AM my time). When I get out of the car or exit a building (all of which are necessarily air conditioned and hence have both lower temp and lower humidity), my eye glasses instantly fog up so badly that I have to remove them for 10 minutes or so. If I have a camera with me the lens, LCD screen, etc will all "cloud" up instantly as well. When I go out to photograph my flowers in early summer I have to wait 10 minutes before I can start taking photos to allow the lens to clear. In summer you can pretty much forget about just running outside to catch some once in a lifetime action shot; it will likely be over before the fog clears. When the humidity gets really, really high as it was the other night, it's almost impossible to keep the camera lens (or eye glasses) clear.

The high humidity here makes the effective temperature here - in terms of what you feel and the time it takes to reach heat exhaustion - much higher than the actual thermometer reading, such that 98F here can translate to 110-120F. Wildfires are rarely an issue here, but mold is a constant threat and roses are plagued by black spot requiring constant biweekly spraying. When I was lighting my mosquito candle the other night I was thinking how there was pretty much no chance the used match would cause a fire even if it fell on the ground (not when the grass, ground, and even AIR were soaking wet)

Bet you really appreciate your air now. We can almost "drink" ours. ; )

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

I do indeed appreciate our air out here!!! And it was probably only 70 at the most today, right now it is 57 and the humidity is 72%. I don't do well in heat so don't know if I could ever get used to the temps and humidity that so many folks are having around the country.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Tonight it was very late (relative to normal feeding time) before I got out to feed Heidi - around 10PM. When I got out there no one was there. I waited for quite a while because I really hated to leave without feeding Heidi - that's starting to feel the same as not feeding a pet. Finally, Juliet showed up followed closely by Heidi and 3 kits.

Although on my way out I had gone back to my office to retrieve the memory card, i still managed to forget the camera. Hopefully, tomorrow night I will be able to get the camera and the kits out there at the same time.

I'm running out of time but I'll try to hit the highlights. Juliet behaved herself again. She loves grapes. I had given her a few before the kits arrived. Later when I tossed lots of grapes over to the kits, she made no attempt to get any of the grapes.

I actually had the opportunity to watch one of the kits play with the big rubber frog in the pool, using both "hands" to spin it in the water, wrestle with it and eventually drag it out of the pool and across the lawn to "fight" with it. A 2nd kit joined in part of the fun. I tossed peanuts to everybody. Fearing the kits might not know how to open them, I sat shelling some and tossing them to the kits. Then, silly me, I saw one baby sitting upright on the lawn and munching on a giant peanut in the shell and handling it much like the adults do. silly me.

Recently the idea was raised that I might become an expert on raccoon behavior. I must admit that I am no expert here. It's true that I've learned a lot - mostly because I knew so little to begin with - and I do hope that some of my observations may prove helpful. spartacusaby, BTW, has been our resident raccoon expert. She has experience in raccoon rehab and thus has raised many of them. She has provided a lot of insight and guidance with Heidi and the others.

I mention that I'm no expert because I have to admit that I may have been wrong - again. Tonight, after we had been out there a while, Diva and the baby showed up. As usual Diva let the baby run all over the place unattended - and, eh-hem, for a while it ended up over there with Heidi's kids! So, while I try to keep my observations accurate, you can take my opinions with a grain of salt so to speak because, for instance, wasn't it just yesterday when I was insisting that the kits were unlikely to spend much time together blah, blah, blah...Well, so much for that. LOL!

When Heidi's kids wondered off a bit she kept looking up with a look of mild concern apparent on her face. By contrast, when Divas kit wandered off she paid it no attention whatsoever. To get past Heidi, Diva (and thus the kit) came around beside me in search of food. I tossed peanuts to them. I had to be careful to toss Diva's peanut 1st; otherwise if I tossed one to the baby 1st, she would turn around and take the peanut away from him. But we managed to work it out so that everybody got fed.

Fraidy also showed up near the end. She stayed over in the weeds, but I saw here looking out and I tossed peanuts to her as well.

One of the kits left Heidi and the group and wandered over toward me - eating his way over. He came to about the 2.5ft area. I would not have expected that to happen so soon - I think he might be my new "Trouble".

Off to get those z's. Good night, Everyone.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Oh Boy!! Babies...finally. Can't wait to see pictures!
Glad you're feeling better. I know how debillitating being tired all the time can be...I'm there now and considering a Dr visit.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I'm glad to hear that Diva's kit and Heidi's were able to "hang out" together with no disruptions or would that be eruptions
[spats, hissing, spitting, etc from Heidi -- and i'm sure Diva payed not attention what so ever]

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

Oh, what fun to see the kits playing with that toy! Would love to have seen that--how cute!

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Have really enjoyed reading your threads. Very glad to read that your medical issues may be getting resolved and you are feeling better.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Thanks, KyWoods.

Murmur, your weather sounds fabulous right now. Do you have room for Heidi and the kids and me? (LOL, kidding, of course)

Thanks, Floridian, if you're feeling tired and it has lasted for more than a week or so, please go to the doctor and beg, plead, demand (whatever it takes) to know why. Above all, don't stop until you get an answer.

I didn't get to this state overnight. At first - a few years ago - I was feeling very rundown. I thought it was burnout, but no matter how long I rested I couldn't seem to bounce back. I kept cutting back my activities to get by. By the time I sought help I was often too tired to get up and go to work and even too tired to care (enough to get up) about the consequences. At work I wasn't just tired anymore, I was quite literaly fighting every minute of the 8 hour stint at work just to hold my eyes open. It was as though my eye lids weighed 300lbs each and it was all that I could do to hold them at the 1/2 way point. At home on the weekends the last few weeks, I would fall asleep again every time I sat down for a minute.

If you are tired all of the time for no legitimate reason, please go now and find out why. Trust me. There is no benefit to waiting - and we all want you to have the energy to take more of those great wildlife shots like the ones of the snowy egrets. ; )

Terese, you know Diva all too well, I see. When the kit was over there eating with Heidi's group, Diva was some 15ft away on the other side of a row of shrubs stuffing her face and wearing a look that said, "What kit?"

KyWoods, Watching them play, I feel as though I've received a very special gift indeed. These are wild animals. That they let me hang out with them while they eat is incredible enough. Now to see them really relaxing around me, letting their bellies show, kids playing with toys, etc almost defies belief. I am blessed to have such an incredible opportunity to share a little part of their world.

Thank you, nanny_56, so very nice to have you with us.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Late this afternoon I went out to clean the pool. When I saw the partially decomposed straw nearby, I just had to smile. (Since I'd left last night) the kits had dug a furrow through the top of the straw and had left all 3 of the remaining toys on this their little "sandbox". It was so cute just because it looked for all the world (except for being compost not sand) like a (human) kids play area.

Below is a pic of the play area. You can see the hedgehog toy exactly as they left it. Originally it was in front of and on the far side of the pool so they moved it quite a distance and took it to their "sandbox". Ahhh. The yellow frog and the keys were also on the sandbox, having been relocated their from the pool where I left them. Together they made an adorable picture. Unfortunately, after I refilled the pool, I put the other toys back into the pool - before I thought about taking the picture below.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Tonight Heidi and Juliet came by as usual. Heidi's kids were in the branch of the Heidi tree. I couln't actually see them per se - but I could see them jiggling the branches and Heidi glancing over there repeatedly to keep an eye on them as any good mom would. I believe that Juliet's kids were also in a nearby tree. I say this because after she had eaten about 1/2 of her food, Juliet cast a glance toward the trees and then ran for the forest, leaving her food behind in a manner that Juliet just doesn't do. Heidi waited a minute or so and then followed her. Then there were some inexplicable noises emanating from the trees. It seemed as though something was going on with the kids.

After they left, Diva and her kit dropped by. Below is a pic of Diva in the pool, but the real reason I'm showing it to you is to show you the yellow frog. (those are apple slices in the pool along with green grapes)

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

I thought this was a cute pic of Diva and the baby pool side. She still forgets him, but they do seem to be hanging around together a little more in the pics.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

I thought this was a cute pic of Diva's baby at the pool

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

After they left, Winnie the Pooh, aka HRH, showed up and got really comfy. Since none of the ladies were around, he loosened his belt and let his tummy hang out to really relax.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

As everyone knows, you're not really relaxing until you kick your feet up.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Boy, this is the life.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Huh? Did you say something?

(He was just maybe 3-4 ft in front of me and so kicked back. It was SO cute.)

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Diva and the baby coming down the fence.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

a few quick pics of Diva's baby. Isn't he/she a cutie?

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

one more

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Diva in pool

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Something just told me to keep waiting...

... and then Heidi returned. A few mintues later, these guys showed up!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Close up. The guy back left is grabbing the keys - yellow ring under water is key ring. The one in the middle chose an apple slice. The one front right is still deciding - and has that look on his/her face like a kid in a candy store trying to pick one piece.

(LOL, I just knew I had to show all the other pics 1st. Once you saw the kids, nothing else would register.)

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

playing with the keys

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Everybody say "auhhhh"

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hey, Mom, Mikey has a grape. I want one, too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.