The Heidi Chronicles: The Story Continues

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

baby feeling threatened again, mom checking me out, oblivious to baby's problems.

Thumbnail by DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Now THIS is the next to last in series. The raccoon on the right is Fraidy. Mom is GONE!!!. That's right Britaney has FLED the scene. She is in the forest somewhere!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

The baby took a few minutes to notice that he had been left behind. Then he ran around the back area for a minute or so trying to figure out where she went. Here he is leaving. By now she has been gone for a few minutes.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Boy -- wouldnt it be something if another "mom" adopted the lil guy.

got to admit... Britaney is a perfect name.... totally oblivious to her child... or just doesn't give a crap.
Hopefully this "mistreatment" will just make him/her stronger.

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

I know nothign about racoons, but I wonder since Brittany only had the one, instead of a passel full hanging to her tits all the time, could it be that she is doign this kind of behavior to make keep the baby from thinking she needs to get more milk and to start forging on her own?

Seems when ya have a bunch of children ya always got oen or the other hanging from your skirt and you never seem to get rid of them. Lot easier to wean a single kid.

Is it that the others are tryign to teach the new baby the food grabbing chain order? Wondering if yoru gonna have to fee d it by it'self for a bit liek Fraidy then eventually instead of the racoons hangign by mom they gonna be hanging onto your shoe laces and night dress. : )

How long doe s it usually take for the others to recongize the babies and sorta let them into the fold?

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Terese, when I watch them, sometimes it seems like she wants to get away from him or wishes he'd stop following her around everywhere. But, yes, he does seem especially aware of his surroundings, other raccoons getting too close, etc - for his age, probably because he has to be.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

starlight,

We are venturing into new territory here. Last year (the beginning of the Heidi experience) Heidi was the ONLY raccoon coming to my yard, so when she brought the kids there were no others around. How things will go now that we have multiple adults and multiple mom/kit combos is something we will all be learning together (almost) in real time. The changes this year may also effect how long if takes for Heidi to bring her kids to the buffet.

This may not be Diva's only kit. Last year Fraidy didn't show up for quite a while, so I was sure Heidi had 4 when she really had 5. Diva may have others back at the den or, as Ruth pointed out, given her behavior she may have already lost the others to predators - hopefully not.

It would be great if the little fella could find a better mom, but I wouldn't bet on it. It's got to be difficult to raise 3 or more babies at once and by yourself in the wild. Heidi will want to concentrate her resources on making sure she gives her babies the best possible start in life, and if she has 5 like last year that will be a tall order. Frankly, given Juliet's rather nasty temperment, it remains to be seen whether she is any better at parenting that Brittaney, and that's not to mention that Juliet has already established a pattern of snarling menacingly at Brit's baby. Juliet shows no inclination to co-parent the little guy.

I can't help him either right now - other than to fuss at Juliet like I did the other day to avert the brawl. I've only seen Diva a time or 2. I don't think she's one of Heidi's. Anyhow, she stays well away from me. If you notice all of the pics of her and the baby are on the other side of the pool. The baby is learning from her; since she's not comfortable coming up to me, he probably won't do so either, at least not until he's older.

On the plus side, the baby seems to be doing a pretty good job on his own of watching for others getting too close to him and of keeping his distance from them. The other night when he and Juliet got into the worst shouting match and I broke it up, the baby was actually either posturing or threatening to fight if necessary - he was trapped against the side of the pool with Juliet spitting and snarling in his face. Also, it looks like Brit is only bringing him around late at night, usually after most of the others have gone.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Oh, BTW, OT but Friday when I got home from work and went to the back door (French so I can see out), my new resident bunny was actually sitting at the edge of the patio! When I opened the door he sat there. When the dog went out he hopped away to the hide in the veggie patch. Ahhh!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

As I mentioned, nothing going on last night. Heidi's afraid of lightening. Juliet stopped by. I didn't realize a storm was on the way until I started noticing a strange background "echo" following my camera's flash series. I only got a few fairly lousy photos. I was sweating. The camera was sweating so bad I couldn't keep the "fog" off the lens. Here is the photo of the day for Sat. Juliet, of course. It's hard to see for the weeds - and I'm not about to go out there in "Hades" to clear them before Oct - but check out her back/bottom legs which are spread out and pointing in opposite directions, getting very comfy.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

With all of the discussion surrounding Diva Brit and her new baby, did anyone happen to notice how good Heidi looks in the recent photo I posted of her - from Friday night, I think. For a while there during the pregnancy and nursing I was pretty worried about her. She really looked rough around the edges and, well, old. She and Juliet were there tonight - and no one else. I was noticing how gorgeous Heidi looks now. Her coat looks so silky, shiny, and beautiful - even despite the heat. Her color is fabulous, and she looks young and oh, so healthy! In fact, Heidi's coat looks much better than Juliet's. (Juliet has some split ends and fizzies, and her coat doesn't shine like Heidi's.) Heidi looks healthier than any of the others now. (Here's the photo: http://davesgarden.com/forums/fp.php?pid=3843211)

Recently I read that raccoon's tails are used to store fat. Well, that explains it. Has anyone noticed all the big, pouffy, boufant tails in the photos lately! Judging from the way they all look when they sit back and let it all hang out (and over) and the size of those tails, I'm not too worried about these raccoons making it through winter - such as it is here where winter is the last week of Jan and the 1st 2 weeks of feb.

Tonight when I went out I sat down and called Heidi. Just like that she appeared on her limb, giggled it a bit while jostling into position to check me out, and then hopped down to come to eat. It's like feeding any pet these days. I must confess the I love to see her climb up a bit on the limb in order to see me, love seeing that look of recognition on her face and then seeing her rush down the fence moments after.

I was sitting on my bench when she came down. I hadn't put the food in the dishes yet. She came down and started looking in the dishes. I got up, walked toward her, and filled the dishes. As I approached, she moved away a maybe 4ft from the dish. Then as I was filling it, I called to her and looked at her, and she came back to the dish. She was still eating at her dish as I walked over and filled the other one nearby and then walked back past her to sit at my bench.

It might surprise you as it does me to know "how" they eat the kibble from the dish. When my dog eats he digs into the middle somewhere and just eats. There doesn't seem to be a plan. The raccoons are amazingly neat and dainty eaters. When eating cat food from a dish they always start on the side near them and eat backward toward the other side - in a very tidy manner, almost Monk-ish - always eating on the almost knife edge they've made as they eat their way across the dish of food clearing the plate as they go. Where ever they are in the process when they stop, they will leave a spotlessly clean portion of the dish and an untouched portion - that is, assuming they don't eat it all. If they eat 1/2 of the food, they will leave 1/2 dish without a single speck of kibble, and 1/2 dish with kibble, with a very neat line between. It's cute to observe. (Ms Manners would not approve, I'm afraid, but it's cute and most unexpectedly neat.)

Edited to add photo link

This message was edited Aug 13, 2007 2:31 AM

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

LOL What a fascinating observation! Wonder why they do that? You could become an expert on raccoon behavior, and in addition to the children's book, you can write a nature book bestseller, too! Hmmm....raccoon science.

Lyndonville, NY

I wonder if the eggs have anything to do with her shiney coat! I am sure they do with all the protien. I bet all those good nutrients and fruits...along with the extra water available are really giving her that "glowing girl" look!

I see a hair commercial in her future! LOL

Debbie

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Well, KyWoods, if nothing else I'm sure learning a lot about how they really behave. It would be great if some of that information could help others and most of all the raccoons. In so many ways they are different from what I would have expected.

Hey, if I keep hanging out with them long enough will I be like the lady who went to hang out with the gorillas - Jane Goodall (sp?); or, eh-hem, that guy who spent time with the bears? Hopefully, not the latter; that didn't go so well.

Today Juliet was sitting down, slumping again, and shoveling the food in with both hands, cupped and working like a shovel. Still, she kept to the rule of eating from one side to the other - really fast, but still tidy.

Hmm. I wonder if there's a little OCD in the raccoon genetic code? Just a smidgen, not the full blown condition, not enough to be problematic, just enough to be methodical with attention to detail and such. Hmm.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Debbie,

LOL RE glowing girl and shampoo commercials. I'm getting a picture of Heidi doing something outdoorsy and tossing her raccoon-next-door tresses in the air. It works for me.

I concentrated my feeding efforts on Heidi more than anyone else. For a while she got high protein, high calcium kitten food while the others ate dog food. Then there were the eggs and peanuts. Where as the others ate sporadically, missing days, I fed Heidi every day except the rare stormy day when she would not venture out. Also, Heidi generally thumbs her nose at everything except cat and dog food, eggs, and peanuts. So she's had the best overall nutrition, highest protein and calcium, and most consitent vitamins. (If I dare go out there with scraps but no dog/cat food she will protest; there will be no doubt as to her dissatisfaction.)

As to water, I cleaned the pool and put a few inches of water in it saturday. Saturday night the storm filled it almost to the top with rain water; so today I didn't bother to change the water. Although Heidi did drink some, she, none the less, clearly expressed her unhappiness with day old water. She's getting so spoiled now that she expects clean, fresh water daily - none of that stale stuff. (See, she's still training me.)

I really was concerned about her earlier. I'm so happy to see her looking so good/healthy. I never would have expected it though. For a while there she was looking rough; I was afraid she was on her last leg. I guess bearing and nursing 3-5 babies at one time takes a temporary toll on the system.

Edited to fix spelling error and add commentary.

This message was edited Aug 13, 2007 2:28 AM

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I'd say the good diet and lack of stress.

stress wrecks such havoc on the system... that certainly would make her look a bit 'rough around the edges'.

maybe now that the kits are getting bigger, there is a lil less stress... i'm sure all the nursing took it's toll too.

glad to hear she's looking so much better.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi, Terese

I'm especially glad to see her look so healthy. I really was worried about her. Ruth kept trying to tell me that nursing is hard on the coat. I believed her. I just didn't realize how big a difference it could make.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Tonight I went out 10 minutes before sunset as predicted at weather.com. Juliet showed up a few minutes later. By the time she had finished her all of the food in her dish and moved over to Heidi's dish, Heidi still had not arrived. It was dark already. I hadn't seen Heidi the night before - because of the storm - so I was getting a little anxious. I know she can take care of herself and has been for many years, but it still bothers me a little when she doesn't show up for a few days.

After Juliet had eaten a few bites from Heidi's dish, Heidi appeared atop the fence. Juliet started growling and snarling, then ran over toward the fence as though to attack. About 2 feet from the fence Juliet stopped short, quit bluffing, turned around and went back TO HER EMPTY DISH - leaving Heidi's dish. Heidi came down the fence and began eating.

Wow, that was something to see for several reasons. First, there were times, especially when Heidi wasn't looking so healthy, that I wondered if Juliet might take over. To see Juliet vacate Heidi's dish pronto like that and go back to lick the crumbs from her own dish instead really seemed to answer that question. Second, I'm really surprised to see that they have some concept of your dish and my dish. But it was hard to interpret what happened any other way. Juliet spent the rest of the evening searching for kibble on the grass (and fishing for the extra handfuls I tossed to her in the pool later).

HRH showed up just after Heidi. He went around through the veggie patch and came right up beside me to eat from the dish I'd put there for Fraidy. The dish was just one foot from the arm of my bench, but he just walked right up there as if we were old pals. When he reached the food he looked up at me as if to ask politely if it would be ok. I said, "it's ok" and with that he started eating. He was so close that when I cast a glance over my shoulder I could only see him from the shoulders back unless I dropped my shoulder and tucked it back straining to see his head. Wow, up close he is a big guy - and such a sweetie. He doesn't see so much taller than the others, just wider. He's built like a bull dog.

I had to keep rubbing my arm to keep the mosquitos at bay and even had to reach beside HRH and over his head to get my box of food from the tractor scoot. Sometimes he would look up at me briefly then just go on eating.

Just a little while before I left, I heard one of the "craziest" sounds yet coming from the area around the Heidi tree. This time it sounded like 3 small children screaming and laughing together. The sound was loud, high frequency, and brief. It was otherwise difficult to characterize. This was yet another new vocalization that I'd not heard before - clearly it came from the raccoons.

A long time and many threads ago Ruth answered someone's question by saying that raccoons have a large vocal range. That's for sure. So far I've heard a grumble, a 1/2 dozen different growls, a snarl or 2, a spit, a bark that sounds just like a small dog, a whiperwil (sp?) along with several other exotic bird calls, a martian, a teletype machine, Flipper, a Native American signaling with animal-like calls, and now a group of sreaming lauging children. I just wish that you could hear these incredible sounds. You just would not believe it. Many of these sound don't seem like anything that could possibly come from such an animal, but they do.

Ooooh, maybe that WAS the sound of screaming laughing coon children--finally???

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Cheryl... sounds like a nice lil moment with HRH. that is so neat that he too fully trusts you,,, and even "asked" if he could eat from Fraidy's dish. How awesome. What a precious lil man.

and i had to laugh (literally) when Juliet did her "bluff" then gave up Heidi's dish..... it's still Heid's kingdom after all. YAY.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

KyWoods -- Oh, wouldn't that be so very nice!

Terese -- It was incredible to see Juliet give up Heidi's dish even before Heidi's feet hit the ground!

But tonight really told the story about who rules...

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

I did some shopping after work so by the time I got home, unloaded everything, picked up the mail, and got out back to feed the raccoons, it was almost dark. As soon as I walked outside my glasses began to fog up. I couldn't take them off because my hands were full, so I arrived at my bench virtually blind from the combination of foggy glasses and the extreme low light of dusk. I sat down, unloaded my stuff, took off my glasses to clean wipe them and there was Heidi standing there looking right at me - clearly visible once I removed the frosted glasses. I hadn't realized she was there, hadn't made any attemp to avoid her or walk lightly around her or move slowly so as not to frighten her.

I put down food for Heidi and for Juliet who arrived moments later. Then I sat down on my bench. It was just another evening - the usual, Heidi and Juliet alone eating. The mosquitos were eating me up, sweat was dripping off me, and I had to remove my glasses altogether because they just kept fogging up as fast as I could clear them. All in all it was a pretty miserable evening out. I had delivered the food, had filled Fraidy's dish just in case, tossed a carrot over into the veggie patch for the bunny rabbit's breakfast and placed a dish off to one side for Snowball -containing his favorite - chicken - a broiled chicken half with only the breast meat removed. I had done the important stuff, and was thinking about going back inside...

Suddenly a little fella appeared atop the fence. Somehow I knew it wasn't Diva's baby. The little guy emerged from the foliage and started down the fence post. I looked to see if Diva would follow, but instead I saw another baby and another and another..they just kept on coming - 4 in all. I looked at Heidi, and even before the 1st one made it to the ground - they were queued up on the post, all coming down together - I knew they were hers. I could tell from the look of mild apprehension on her face as her ears went back to a 45deg momentarily.

They were small, smaller than Diva's baby, the size of kittens that are at that early, playful stage. Not infants, 1st graders. They ran as a unit over to Heidi. It was such a different picture from the one of Diva and her baby. They ran over to mom, climbed on her head and all over her while she was trying to eat, and she was so patient with them. All 4 of them crowded around her on all side and shared her dish. I couldn't get another dish over to them without scaring them, so I tossed several handfuls in the grass around them. The 1st one scared them a little, but once they saw that mom was ok with it, they quickly learned to enjoy the food and ignore me. The were positively adorable. I just wanted to run over and scoop them up and hug them.

Then I remembered that I'd brought some grapes in case I got a chance to see Fraidy. Also I was eating a banana and still had 1/2 of that left. I tossed some grapes to them and some into the pool. I broke the remaining banana into pieces and tossed those to them as well, and tossed some cat food into the pool.

They LOVED the pool! All 4 of them got in together. They chased the kibble that was floating on top of the water and fished for grapes off the bottom. And OMG they played! This was a 1st for me. In all the time I spent with Heidi's kids last year, I never saw them play. In fact, except for the incident at the bird feeder last year, I'm pretty sure Heidi's kids were a bit older when they started hanging out with me.

They were like kittens in the pool. One hopped up on the edge and managed to balance there for an incredible length of time. My goodness they are so agile even at that age. He stood on his back feet on the rim of the pool and scooped kibble off the top of the water as it drifted by in the current created by all the others playing elsewhere in the pool. At one point, he started to loose his balance and I watched as he tetter-tottered a bit trying to right himself. I just knew that he would "fall" into the water, but, no, he actually managed to regain his balance and continue fishing for a while before he finally hopped back down into the water.

Another kit hung over the edge and began mock fighting with the pool edge in a manner reminiscent of cats. A few minutes later he leaned over the edge and found the "end" of a roll of lawn trash bags I lost some time ago. It was just that one, maybe 2 last bags rolled tightly into a "wand" or "stick". He leaned over the edge of the pool, picked the "stick" up and began wrestling with it, pulling it into the pool with him, dragging it around in the water. The others tried to grab the other end and a game of tug of war in the pool was born.

They played in the pool for quite a while. They got out and climbed on Heidi some more. They played on top of the old bale of pine straw beside the compost pile, the one I've been meaning to remove and now am glad I didn't. To the kits it was some kind of jungle gym beside mom's dish - I think I can afford to leave it a little longer. They were always close by Heidi. She didn't wander off nor did they. When they ate together they all stood around the dish facing each other like a happy, well-adjusted family. It was wonderful to see.

While the tiny kits were playing in the pool, Juliet was eating beside the pool. Even when some of them made their way down to the side near her, she never uttered a quip much less a snarl or a growl. Suddenly, all my fears about how this would work out were quelled. Heidi didn't need to interceed now. She had made her point long ago, and Juliet clearly understood that she had better not bother those kits, and so it was that the same raccoon who had threatened Diva's baby never uttered a sound to Heidi's. Later when they got out of the pool, one of the kits walked over to Juliet. The little fella just seemed very curious. I cringed as he approached her. I just knew she would attack him, but she actually left her dish and went into the veggie patch. It was as if she felt she had to get away from the kid before Heidi came over and pummelled her; so she left her food and returned only when the kit had gone back over to his mom. : )

A little later, when Heidi heard the neighbors dog, she took herded the babies back into the safety of the forest. They all left as a group - just as if they had been holding hands - all climbing up the fence post at the same time one behind the other with Heidi waiting at the bottom until all of the kits were headed up the fence before she started up with them. And that was it; they did not return.

I so enjoyed watching them play. Now I realize that they have been coming out there for a week or so. Recently I noticed that something had dug a small hole in the freshly composted pine straw just below the bale. The hole had grown a bit over time. About the same time the "end" of the trash bags showed up, having been excavated from the compost by "something". Of course, now I know that the fresh compost had been repurposed as a "sandbox" for the kits. The toy "stick" was just a bonus they found while digging.

First thing tomorrow I must take some toys out for them. I have lots of dog toys. Widget has tons of toys so he can share a few - I realize they won't survive but that's ok. Some of the toys Widget doesn't like might be great for them. He has a set of big, plastic "keys" on a ring. They are made for teething puppies. They jiggle on the ring. I think I'll put them out there. Widget doesn't like any of his rubber toys, so I'll give all of them to the kits along with one or two of his least favorite stuffed toys. Maybe a ball or 2? I'm taking suggestions, the more the better. Help me brainstorm fun stuff for them to play with while they are little.

Did I mention that they LOVE the pool. That was SO obvious. That pool had already paid for itself many times over in the enjoyment the adults get from it....but the kids, now it's priceless!

After Heidi and the babies left, Fraidy came down and ate a bit. Then Diva and her baby arrived, followed by HRH. A fight broke out and Fraidy was frightened away. HRH came and took her place. I was tossing a few handfuls of food over to Diva and her baby (and this didn't bother HRH beside me). I was tossing the food underhand. On the 3rd throw, as I took the handful of food and dropped my hand down at my side for the toss, I was startled to see Fraidy out of the corner of my eye. I had to stop short of in the process of swinging my arm back - otherwise I would have smacked her as she was standing at my side (opposite side from HRH) with one paw on the side of the bench and her nose up apparently thinking I was giving her food. I dropped some food on the ground for her and she ate there for a while. After she'd eaten her fill of kibble, she grabbed the 1/2 chicken I'd put out for Snowball, taking the entire thing off into the shrubbery to eat it.

It was a super night. I must take out my camera from now on - and some toys and fruit and peanut treats. OMG, they really, really do exist!!!

The pool, BTW, was almost full, having been filled by rainfall. The kits were so small that at 1st I feared the water might be too deep for them, but although it came up high on their chests, that didn't seem to bother them at all.

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

Wow!!! I remember watching your thread last year for quite awhile, but lost it somehow. I'm delighted to find your ongoing story again - and you are a fabulous storyteller!!! Please share pics of Heidi's babies as soon as you get some!!!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Thank you so much, Murmur! Glad to have you back with us! You can be sure that the minute I get those little tykes on "film" I'll be tripping over furniture to get them uploaded to show everyone those little cuties. : )

Valinda, CA(Zone 10a)

Interesting that this batch seem to have gained something from Heidi's interaction with you over last years group. They seem to be comfortable with you from the beginning. This promises to be quite a lot of fun.

Valinda, CA(Zone 10a)

I wonder how Heidi will react to Diva's baby when her little ones are present? Maybe Diva's little one may observe your interactions with Heidi's brood and gain some confidence and be able to react with youl

This is going to be interesting.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Cheryl, what a long awaited magical evening!!

Glad to hear Juliet behaved herself.

it would be nice if Diva could actually 'learn' from watching Heidi and the new kids ..

but -- there are obviously humans that should not be mothers... it may be possible that there are animals that too, just should not breed.

Rosemont, ON(Zone 4a)

I am so happy to know that Heidi's babies are real, and happy and healthy to boot! I'm just sitting here with a big smile on my face. Thank you!

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

I am so glad you finally got to se e and interact with the babies. Makes all those dark scary night s and mosquito bites worth it, doesn't it.

LOL.. Looks like you be getting les s sleep now, if the kid s coem and play for awhile. : ) I would have had to sit on my hands. The urge to pet them would have been so great.

So glad ya shared the kids story, today wil be a day of walkign aroudn with a big smile and a happy feeling inside.

Can't wait to se e what thy look like. : )

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Woo hoo! Babies - how exciting! I look forward to each day's story - thanks for sharing. Can't wait to see their pictures.

I think you're going to go broke feeding them all.

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

I know... I was thinking the same thing. was wondering if ya would Dmail an addy so I could send ya alittle somethign to get them some snacks too?

YAAAY!! So that WAS the sound of screaming, laughing coon children out there--how exciting to finally see them in person! Congrats on having four um, grandcoons?

Hillsdale, NY(Zone 5b)

Great news, Cheryl! Can't wait to see them. And how are you feeling? Any better? - Julie

Lyndonville, NY

Ohhhh the babies! I am so happy to hear they made an appearance and I can't wait for pictures...and more stories!

Now opening Sculters Coon Care & sitting services! LOL

Debbie

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

I have an idea for a great toy for the babies. How about one of those puzzle balls they make for dogs that you can hide treats in? The one I had was a square blue one with a hole in the top, as the dog rolled it around on the floor, kibble or whatever I had placed inside would fall out. The kids will have a great time rolling it around to get whatever goodies you hide in it.

LOL, great idea--I can see them now! We used to sell those in the pet store where I worked. The toughest ones were made by the Kong company.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi George -- You know, I hadn't thought of that, but you are right. Last summer when the kids came down to eat with me, Heidi was also coming down to eat for the 1st time; so her apprehension would have been apparent to the kids. This year the 07 kids are learning from the start that Mom is comfortable around me.

Some weeks back Heidi started clearing the yard to make room for her babies. At that time she announced to all concerned that no one - except Juliet - is allowed in the yard when she (Heidi) comes to eat. On very rare occasion she tolerated brief visits by Fraidy and HRH as long as they stayed over on the other side of my baracade. As a result, Diva never comes into the yard until after Heidi leaves; so I doubt the kids will spend much time together until they are older. Once Heidi arrived very late and, hence, after Diva and her baby were already there. Heidi wasn't mean to Diva's baby, but she did grumble at it once in a very benign manner. Anyhow, since Heidi has taken a stand against allowing the crowd into the yard when she is eating - probably because the group had become to large and chaotic to be safe around the kids - I doubt there will be a lot of interaction.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi Terese,

As mentioned in my above post in response to George, Heidi doesn't allow Diva (and hence the baby) to eat with her (and thus the kids). Heidi and Juliet are 1st shift. Everyone else is 2nd shift. If others arrive while Heidi is eating, they peep over the fence and then disappear to return later.

...more on the Diva situation later.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Thank you, June! Imagine my glee as the cute, little fur balls started down the fence right before my eyes! After waiting so long, at first I couldn't believe it was real.

PS. I've been waiting to see more pics of the kids at your house. That photo of the one baby hanging off the edge of the feeding platform was the best ever. Hope you and Mother-of-Six (is it 6 or 4, can't recall) are getting along better.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi starlight,

The urge to pet the little darlings was tremendous; but the urge to keep my fingers (and other appendages, organs, etc) in tact was even greater. Momma Heidi trusts me a great deal, but that doesn't mean she's willing to let me touch the little ones. She is extremely protective of those little tykes. I suspect I'd be better off trying to pick HRH up than messing with Heidi's babies. ; )

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Thanks, goldfinch

Glad to hear that you are enjoying the ongoing saga.

Feeding the babies isn't too expensive; they don't eat a lot at this stage. Back before Heidi ran everybody else off and I stopped staying out so late, I was going through the cat/dog food at a very rapid pace trying to feed all of the adults that had begun to frequent the raccoon buffet, especially back when I tried to make sure they all got their fill. Not to mention that when I wanted to give Heidi or Fraidy some peanuts or grapes I had to give them to everybody; we went through a 32oz bag of peanuts and/or a few pounds of grapes in one evening. (Luckily, grapes are in season right now so nice, sweet ones are dirt cheap. On my recent trip plump, juicy seedless, red grapes at peak perfection and tasting like sugar cubes were only $1/lb - and they are SO good that tonight I was eating one from time to time while tossing them to Fraidy; then I got carried away and started eating more than tossing; I came to my senses, 1/2 of a grape at my lips, and saw that Fraidy was starring at me in disbelief, apparently wondering when it would be her turn again. Oops!)

The biggest problem was trying to transport all of that food here. For a while there I was really getting my exercise lifting heavy bags (several per trip) in the store to get them in the cart, in the parking lot to put them in the car, and again to move them from my car trunk to the garage - only to see that the last one was 1/2 empty a short time later, requiring a repeat of the whole process. Does anyone know of a good (bulk) dog/cat food delivery service? (I think this year I'll start stocking up in winter 07/08 for the following spring.)

It has slowed down considerably now since most nights I only see Heidi and Juliet - and put out an extra dish of food for HRH and Fraidy. (But, honestly, I miss the rest of the group and enjoy those nights like last night when I get to see some of them.)

The wild Muscadine grapes that line the trees at the forest edge are ripening now. Both the raccoons and the cardinals LOVE them. Last year the baby raccoons ate the ones they could reach and the cardinals ate the ones that were too far out on skinny branches. (Last year I watched Trouble - a kid at the time - climbing around in the trees in daylight, sitting like a little koala bear, and eating grapes. It was funny to watch him trying to walk out on some limbs that were too small to hold his weight. BTW, he didn't get hurt and he got lots of grapes.)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.