Is this a purple passion plant?

Hometown, IL(Zone 5a)

I just bought this plant at a local grocery store. It's an Exotic Angel plant, labled "purple passion" (gynura aurantiaca) Is this a relative of the purple passion vine, or a totally unrelated species?
Here's a pic of the plant.

Marsha

Thumbnail by Machikoneko
Hometown, IL(Zone 5a)

Here's a pic of the tag that came with it.

Thumbnail by Machikoneko
Hometown, IL(Zone 5a)

And one last picture, to show the undersides of the leaves. (Sorry it's a little blurry.)

Thanks for any help!

Marsha.

Thumbnail by Machikoneko
Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Marsha,I just Love that plant.Gorgeous color!I don't know anything about them personally but here is a link to one like yours in plant files.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/2570/

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Your plant is definitely not gynura (Purple Passion).

Nan, what is the name of what Machikoneko has?

Round Lake Beach, IL(Zone 5a)

In Hawaii we had purple Passion Fruits, I don't think it's the same. They had leaves like a maple on vines.

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Whatever it is....I love it!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks, cedarnest. We were typing at the same time. I was just going to find a photo of gynura.

Hometown, IL(Zone 5a)

This explains my love/hate relationship with EA plants. Sometimes I find something I haven't seen before, and half the time the ID's wrong. Sheesh. I'd rather have a NOID, than an incorrectly identified plant!

Marsha.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Here is gynura aka Purple Passion...

Thumbnail by Snowrose
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I think what you have is commonly called Purple Waffle Plant (Hemigraphis). I know what you mean about mislabeled plants. Very frustrating.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Does this look like what you have?

http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/50789/

Hometown, IL(Zone 5a)

Snowrose,

That's the one I have! Thanks to all for the help. I was sure that it was mislabled.

You'd think that a company that bothers at all to ID plants would at least get it right!
(I checked the others to see if this one was mis-labled, but they're all labled the same.)

Thanks again,

Marsha.

in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Waffle plant http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/52982/

Opps I didn't see Snowrose id the plant. Great plant.

This message was edited Aug 8, 2007 4:49 PM

(Zone 1)

Looks like a Waffle Plant to me!

edited to say: Ooops .... might help if I read before putting in my two cents - someone already told you it looks like you have a waffle plant there!

Great little plant, I had a huge one years ago but haven't seen them around in awhile! And, you got it at your local grocery store?! Wow! Guess I will have to check out the plants at my grocery store next time I'm in there! :)

This message was edited Aug 8, 2007 5:50 PM

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

You are most welcome. Glad you know now what it is you purchased. It is attractive and I hope you enjoy growing your new hemigraphis.

Hometown, IL(Zone 5a)

Lin,

I've found some of the hardest to find plants here at the grocery store. (Specifically Dominicks, owned by Safeway.)

I found both fireflashes I have there when the cultivar was relatively new. I also found a curly leaved Liriope (sp.?) named "Cassidy" there. They also have great prices on various orchids right now. I never pass the plant section by; you never know what oddball is stuck amongst the Pothos and the Phils...

The only caveat is that I really look the plants over before I buy them; who knows what they might be carrying, with all the stress the've been through before they get to the shelf.
(I guess people think I'm crazy- I check the plants I buy much more carefully than my food. I can't tell you how many times I've had to take cheese that was moldy back, because I just grabbed a pack without looking. Never gotten one infestation from there, though!)

So you never know where you'll find your next new plant- ain't it great? :D

Happy Plant Hunting, (do we ever stop...?)

Marsha.

(Zone 1)

:) hee hee ..... I love it .... checking the plants out more closely than we check our food! I know there are a few of us like that Marsha!! I just wish our grocery stores carried more plants.

Phelan, CA(Zone 8b)

I just won one of these on ebay. Can't have it shipped right now though (its hovering around 105 here for the last few weeks). I'll have to wait at least until the end of August, according to the forecast, before having the guy ship it. Luckily, he's agreeable to holding it for me. They like TONS of humidity, from what I hear, so keep misting that baby! They are just beautiful plants -good luck with yours!

Randi

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.