Coffee filter method for starting seeds

Concord, CA(Zone 9a)

Does the coffee filter method work for small seeds? At what point do I transfer seeds to potting mix?
I have some small ginger seeds and how about really small seeds. Bigger seeds seem to root easy but I'm just not sure about tiny seeds. Any advice is appreciated.
Linda

Pretoria, South Africa

I used it to start my Aquilegias. As soon as the roots appeared I used a sharp pointed knife to help me get them on the soil without damaging the roots. Covered them with vermiculite, and they are really doing great.

Hope it helps,
Elsa

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

The problem I had with coffee filters is they don't seem to hold much water. I really haven't had much trouble using a good paper towel, not the dirt cheap ones.

Pretoria, South Africa

I second that. I forgot to mention rather using paper towel, and the roots isn't that big a problem. If need be, plant a piece of paper towel as well...

Concord, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks,
So far so good, I started my seeds in the coffee filter, this was before you told me about the paper towel,I will do that next time. Anyway some germinated fast and others are still in the coffee filter, I got them transfered to pots and so far so good.
I like the idea of being able to move a piece of paper towel in case the tiny roots stick to it.
Linda

Pretoria, South Africa

What I like about the coffee filter / baggie method is that you can keep an eye on the seed's progress. I have a whole container filled with plastic bags, and it takes up a whole lot less space than pots would. At the same time I can see if and when the seeds plant to grown into a plant. Before I'd end up with all this pots not knowing if anything will come of the seed. This way I feel like I have a bit of control.

Good luck,
Elsa

Pass Christian, MS(Zone 8b)

Can you start any seed using the paper towel or coffee filter method? I've started 30-40 different seeds and only 5 or so have come up. :( I didn't put plastic over them because I live in a hot and humid area and the germination directions didn't tell me to. Most of the time the directions tell me to. Maybe that's where I went wrong? Should you always plant and then cover with plastic until they come up?

Thanks,
~Megin

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

What are you trying to start? Different seeds need different conditions. Most will work with the paper towel.

Elmira, NY(Zone 6a)

Last year I started 75 different groups of seeds with the paper towel method. They all sprouted except I think three, which appeared to be DOA (they rotted). Norm Deno, who popularized this method, has started literally hundreds of different seeds this way. One thing he describes that for me has been very helpful is putting them outside in a shed or unheated garage in winter. The fluctuating temps really help germination of tough perennials. Also, like another poster said, I like the idea of how little space they take and how you can plant out just the ones you want. I had all 75 groups in a little box. I could just go out to the garage and flip through the plastic bags to check on germination. Imagine the PITA that would be with seeds in soil. Not to mention that I have noticed that many seeds just germinate better in paper towels. I don't know why that is, but it sure has been my experience.

I'm trying mostly tropicals and some other house plants. Do you guys nick canna seeds when you use the paper towel method or do you just take the fuzzy stuff off?

Thanks,
Megin

Pretoria, South Africa

Megin, I started some canna seed about 6 weeks ago by nicking them. I was reading about lots of different ways of starting different seeds and for some reason mixed them up with the starting of Amaryllis if I remember correctly. Anyway, I left them in glasses of water, changed the water daily, and eventually when I realized my mistake I had lots of seeds with little roots protruding. I planted them in pots, and since then have moved them to my garden where they are getting bigger by the day.
I assume the baggy method will work just as well.

Good luck,
Elsa

Okay, I started several seeds this weekend using the coffee filter method. How easy! I checked them this morning and the filters are still damp and some of my seeds have some small roots. Do I need to pot those seeds now? Just a small root is all I need to see, right?

Thanks,
Megin

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Could someone kindly post some pics? How exactly the "method" works? I guess I'm a visual-learner. Please purdy please.
Kim

Well I did some research after I posted my question and it looks like you can transplant as soon as you see a root or wait. I'm gonna transplant this weekend. I can't believe how many have roots already! I'll try and put some pics together this weekend. Life is a little hectic, so I may not succeed, but will try.

~Megin

I found this picture. My seeds are not quite this far along but they are getting there!

Thumbnail by MzzPool
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

By jorge! you just let the seeds on top of a wet towel? Misting frequently? how do you keep them from drying out?

HAHAHA Nope. I marked a ziploc bag with the name of the plant, date, and germination information. I moistened a coffee filter, put seeds on the filter and folded in half and then half again. Then put the coffee filter and seeds in the baggie.

However, this isn't a picture of my seeds, but mine are close to this stage. This person opened their coffee filter and snapped a picture so you can see what they look like during this process.

~Megin

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Megin! Thanks so much for sharing the info. LOL, I feel so dense some time. Got to get some fresh air. lol. I'll try some with my False Indingo seeds for experimentation. :-)
Kim

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

That works well for most seeds. Quick too. Some seeds are a pain, here's what I had to go through with Cassia leptophylla seeds. tried germinating them for three months and nothing worked. This is what worked in the end.

Sanded the end off the seeds with a dremel tool.
Poured simmering water over them and let them soak for 36 hours.
Potted them up and sure enough that did the trick. About three days later so five days total and the seeds started to sprout. You also have to have them over 75 degrees which was no problem since it's over 75 outside every hour of the day right now.

This message was edited Sep 20, 2007 10:22 AM

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the tips on cassia's seed. I've a handful of Prize of Barbados' seeds, since they're big and have tough coats. I guess the same procedure will work for them as well? Oooh, canna's seeds as well?
Kim

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

I would give it a try if your having problems.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Yes, I did, potted the cannas' seed in June without any treatment. Needless to say = no cannas!!!! arghhh!

Concord, CA(Zone 9a)

I have some coffee beans I just started in the coffee filter. It took a while but they have a root. Yes! I also started some ginger seeds I am very excited. Patience seems to be required with some seeds, like the coffee. Its so much fun to go check and see roots. I am going to try cannas next.
Linda

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

You have to drill or nick canna seeds till you see white... If you just plant them without doing this they can take 5 years to germinate!

Concord, CA(Zone 9a)

I am very excited about this. Now I want to try all types of seeds. Where do I get some Pride of Barbados seeds? I don't even know what a cassia is and I want to try them. lol
Just like me to jump in with both feet. lol
Linda

My coffee filter propagation is going very well!! I had to transplant tons already! I bought 50 six-inch pots from Home Depot on Sunday. That's all they had and I have 6 left. I'm gonna have so many plants to put in my gardens this spring!! Woohoooooo

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

CoreHHI - what was your germination rate with your Cassia seeds when using the simmering water method? That is my current project, to see which germination methods work best for me with the Cassia (as those in the MidSouth forum know!).

jltbaw - I know that LazLo in Austin was offering Pride of Barbados seeds for either trade or SASE yesterday . . . Here's the thread http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/773945/. . . couldn't hurt do see if he has any left!

This message was edited Sep 25, 2007 10:03 AM

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

I only got 50% but you have to realize I tried a few different ways with a few seeds at a time. 4 of the seeds simply sat in pots for 3 months or so. If I started from scratch I'm sure I could get over 50%. Also be careful nicking them, I think I over did it with the dremel tool on a couple of them. Never tried it so it took a minute to get the hang of it. My seeds were very hard BTW.

Concord, CA(Zone 9a)

Syrumani

Thank you so much for the link. Lazlo has kindly offered to send me seeds for a sase. I am so excited! I would never have known if it wasn't for you, So Thank You, Thank You.
Linda

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

I may be totally ignorant, but it seems that simmering water would kill them...LOL

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

I thought it was strange until I thought about long leaf pine. They like nothing better than a forest fire once and a while. The next season little pines will be coming up all over the place. I think that may be the way I killed a couple. Nicked them to deep and the hot water got them.

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

CoreHHI - I also got about 50-60% germination with the nick and soak method. I did notice though that after soaking the Cassia seeds, they preferred to be set in the sun in their pots . . . did not like the dome at all . . .

jltbaw - glad to be of help.

yardqueen1948 - Cassia seeds are very hard . . . I have noticed that when you nick and soak hard seeds in warm water, it really does help. I have not tried the simmering water, but if there is a chance it will improve germination, I am willing to give it a shot!

San Angelo, TX(Zone 7b)

I got excited when I read this. I have a box of coffee filters that were the wrong size. When I read this I got some seeds to try.
Coleus,viola,sweet william, and snapdragons. Anyone tried any of these? How do I know when they will be ready to plant?

Any help will be alot of help:)
Elizabeth

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

I have nicked, even drilled (canna) seeds, and soaked... but I just did not understand how simmering water would not kill them.... Live and learn...

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

One thing is after the soak you need them in a warm place. I put mine outside since during the summer our low is around 75 f and highs around 95 f. If your trying to germinate these tropical, sub tropical seeds you need to have enough heat. Last winter I used a large platic contianer with a lid, filled with 6 inches of water and used a fish tank heater to keep the water at 80. I used a wire rack that fit in there with my potted seeds on top of it out of the water. Put a little bleach in the water so it didn't mold over and watered the pots a little bit if they looked dry. They really didn't dry out much since it was a closed system. I did open the lid and fan in some new air everyday, not sure if you need to do that.

Easy set up I'm sure they're are many ways to keep the pots warm.

Cambria, CA(Zone 10a)

Though I've meant to try this method, still haven't. But I did save this handy dandy site:
http://www.robsplants.com/seed/baggy.php

Charlevoix, MI(Zone 4b)

I used the coffee filter method to germinate:

aquilegia
petunias
tomatoes
peppers
squash
pumpkins
melons
jacob's ladder
geraniums
dianthus
impatiens

and several others that I can't think of now. I love it! So easy.

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

If I may suggest, if you don't have a heat mat or something, the top of the refrigerator tends to work very nicely.

Okay, I just got some Kona coffee beans - didn't occur to me try it this way, but now I shall - wish me luck!!!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

MsKatt,

On your Columbines you rooted this way (WHEN did you do this?), what did you do with the germinating seeds after the Coffee Filter thing?
I have some Columbine seeds from Sally that I would like to grow, but have now procrastinated away and it is too late to do so and have them bloom next year. My dilemma!!!! Never doing things when I need to do them. It is always--Magnana!!!! Magnana!!!!

Gita

Charlevoix, MI(Zone 4b)

Gita, I just put them in newspaper pots and when it was time to plant outside, I stuck them in the ground.

Michelle

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.