creeping jenny, inside plant?

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 6a)

Has anyone ever grown creeping jenny as an inside the house plant? I know most of the time it is invasive if planted outside. Alot of people use it in outside planters. Can I re-pot it and move it into the house for the winter and will it survive as a housplant?

Medford, NJ

I live directly east of you but in NJ, and I find this stuff comes back every year, both in outside planters and when planted in the ground. I have brought it into an indoor but unheated atrium and it has done ok, but doesn't look as attractive as it does when it comes up in the spring and summer. It may be like some annuals that although they survive, they really need to start over fresh every season to look good.

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 6a)

Bhavana34, thanks for your answer. Does it have to be in an unheated location? I would think creeping jenny would prefer the heat.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

It's hardy to zone 3 so I'm a little confused why you're bringing it in for the winter? In your zone even in a container it should be fine for the winter.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

just a guess on my part, but if i intended to bring Creeping Jenny into the house for the winter, I would put her in a big vase of water...............then when spring time rolled around i would start taking cuttings for new plants..................they just love being outside here near and in water................

Medford, NJ

When I brought it indoors, it was into an atrium that is very bright, but is not heated. It is attached to the main house on three sides so stays pretty comfortable in the winter, but never as warm as the house. The Creeping Jenny did fine, but like I said, it was never cold in that room unless the temps outside were unusually low, and that is pretty infrequent here.

It must not mind very cold temps though, because like I said, it comes back every year, even after rough winters, where I have it planted in the ground and sometimes even in planters.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

It's hardy to zone 3, so unless you live practically at the Arctic Circle it will make it through the winter outside and doesn't need to be brought in.

Medford, NJ

I think the poster wanted to bring it in because they want to grow it indoors as a houseplant, not because they were concerned about it surviving the winters....No worries though, this is one hardy plant!

I have no idea how it does long term indoors, or if it is as invasive and vigorous as it is outside, I only brought one plant in one winter that had some of it growing at it's base. After the winter it went right back out, like most of the tropicals do.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Did it retain its' color when indoors?

Medford, NJ

Actually it got a little darker indoors, but only because outside I had it in full sun, and this plant gets alot lighter in full sun.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

I got my first one this summer and love the golden color. I guess the sun is doing that... thanks ~ pod

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.