AUGUST THREAD 2007

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Well, it August and it time so fast until Summer over, Kids going back to school soon!

In 2 week, I going on road trip and my g-aunt got in car aciddent 3 weeks ago and she doing good I hope...

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Rusty...Can't believe it is August already. Hope your Aunt continues to recover. Where are you going to visit her"

Pepper...When your Clematis recovers will you be putting them in the ground in the Fall? I have two Sweet Autumn in pots and I want to plant mine in the ground this fall. They have done so well and I'm hesitant to change anything but this fall will be OK won't it?

AuntB...I went to that website and couldn't see your water feature or pond....I wanna see!!

Have a great month...Rose

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Happy August MWDG'ers, August already..... Oh, well, there's still lots to enjoy in the garden. Where's the road trip to, Rusty? I like road trips. I want to look in plant files for those clemmies. I have a SA and one I haven't identified, yet, but nothing special. I did order a little blue bell like rambler one...I will try again with the link, Rose.

Scroll down, bottom left, Koi spitter fountain.

http://www.amanandashovel.com/

Pic of "pond" Sideways! Sorry, I don't know what's wrong...

Thumbnail by AuntB
NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Wasn't sideways after all! I thought I was posting it correctly. Got tons of rain yesterday, filled the little "pond" up.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I going to Eureka, Illinois for Family Reunion... (near Peoria)

I just love to see the water pond but my work is not done in my house paint yet!... So, I have to get some rest for the trip....

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Awww AuntB that water garden is so cute! Love the froggy laying down. The best I have is a huge pot (about the size of the whiskey barrel) with a bubbler on it. At least it gives me the soothing sounds. Next year I'll try adding some plants to the mix.....the thought never occured to me this year...figured it was too small. I have noticed water evaporation is really high in it these past 2 weeks. My deck is covered so it only gets "filtered" sunlight on it. Anyone know if there are water plants that would do ok with that little sunlight?

Can't believe August is here already! Enrolled all 3 kids in school yesterday. First time I had to go to 3 separate schools (elementary, Jr High and Sr High schools). My babies are growin' up. Son will be a senior this year ..... it's so unbelievable to me. The youngest starts kindergarten.

Time to start giving some serious thoughts to fall bulb planting and what I want where. Gosh knows the catalogs have been pouring in here for weeks. Need to start a list so I don't repeat buy things like I did one year. lol

Everyone stay cool today.....looks like it's warming up again. The break in temps was nice while it lasted.

Happ - can't believe you haven't gotten any of the rains. We came home from the airport Sun nite and caught rain around Edwardsville.....you must be further north. I hope you get some soon being on a well especially.

Thumbnail by langbr
NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Nice Lily Shot! BEAUTIFUL! You can get the miniature water lilies, there are some that are supposed to flower in shade. I had the barrel below the deck until this year, an old pump running into it, didn't get as much sun and I still grew lily pads (and a few blooms, but I don't think it was a shade tolerant lily)...and I had water iris bloom in less sun. Then, I haven't seen any water lily blooms yet this year, and I've been feeding them regularly....

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Thx AuntB ..... I'll give the lilies a try next year. Do they overwinter if you bring them indoors?

A clump of Purple Pinwheel daylily blooming through spirea just starting to bloom.

Thumbnail by langbr
NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Love that color! Yes, I've heard they do. Some will overwinter in the bottom of a pond if deep enough... (I've never managed to bring mine in for winter, always so much other stuff, I forget about them. There are hardy and tropical ones. Go see some at (bonniesplants.com) - (not me-I'm just Bonnie) I think she's in AL., I've ordered from her before and am pleased.

It's August already, time does fly too quickly when you're having fun!!

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Oh AuntB I love that little Koi spitter and the koi barrel. I hope to try that next year too. Thanks for the link again...Rose

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Boy! It's so hot today it hit up to 97*....

My van A/C quick working any more gezz I drive in hot day to check on my other rental house what it need roof installed so I let my ex-husband and his son fix for me (also paint, too!) so, I don't have to work that house while I go on trip.... Also water was running so high now that somewhere is leak! oh geezz washer room water value leak! Got turn off quickly! Tentant never told me about that water leak!... :(

So, Hope it work for me that my ex and his son do good job...

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

It got real hot at work today also. We also found out that we broke all attendance records there last month. I forget the number of people we had here. I know for this month we are hoping for 150,000 people because of the butterflies. We have the Blue Morph here from Costa Rica. Saw them for the first time today and those things are HUGE!! And gorgeous!! And very friendly!!! lol.

Dell, I do intend to transplant this fall if they survive. I really hope they do make it. I spent big bucks on these plants and the Syliva Denny I don't think I will be able to replace this year if I lose it. It is a double petal clematis.

Links to PF: www.davesgarden.com/pf/go/122406/

www.davesgarden.com/pf/go/125139/

www.davesgarden.com/pf/go/129722/

Those are the clematis that I bought this year. I also have Sweet Autumn which I got from my grandma. That will make 4 all total so far. lol.

Gravois Mills, MO(Zone 6a)

I have had a real bad deer problem this past month and i am not going to play with Bambi. Neighbors are all up in arms as well. They are goint go go one way are the other. I wonder what is the use. Last night they ate a good part of a very fine polar moon that had a lot of hot pepper on the leafs and was just sprayed with a egg/garlic concoction the day before. The herd has just exploded around here. they better have a special hunt because the deer no longer fear man at all.

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Talked to my sister last night (I am in Oklahoma City on buisness) and my Mom was setting up. Today they are going to start walking her....can't stand to see her in pain so I am feeling somewhat guilty cause I am sort of glad I am here. I know she is in good hands tho.

I live about 1/2 way between st. joseph and kc, and still no rain. The other day I drove home and in Smithville it was raining but it was nice and sunny at my house! Left my DH in charge of watering all of the pots, usually I gather them all up in one place but didn't get home in time to do that before I left so I hope he finds them all.

Once I get some more rocks laid around the waterfall I will post pictures, I am excited about getting back and working on it.

I have 5 tomatoe plants all bearing tomatoes and none turning red, anyone have any ideas? 3 are heirloom and 2 are not.

Joyce

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Oz, I'm not sure what a polar moon is, but try Irish Spring soap bars, I've seen it work. My ex drilled a hole in one end and tied it with baling wire to a lower branch on the tree. He did this with many trees, Bradford Pears, sweet gums, maples and they leave them alone. They still come through the yard, but they don't nibble. Joyce, it is heart wrenching to see someone you love in pain. It's nice you can be there and visit. Thanks for the links, Pepper, I want a few more clems. I have sweet autumn, my lavendar is E. Markham I think, and I have Pink Champagne.. They just seem finicky to me. I just need to develop my relationship with them I guess. lol I know they take a couple years to establish, and I'm a patient person, maybe I can find a bargain ....I've been looking at hosta......
Joyce, I think there is something organic to help tomatoes ripen, maybe post on a tomato/veg forum.. I noticed all the green tomatoes in someones garden on my way to work... Loads of em' big and green and just hanging there.

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Joyce - Try epsom salts around yr tomatoes. I've only gotten 3 tomatoes off of 2 plants so far myself tho.

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Joyce, sorry I was confused, I thought you were with your mom.,... your sister is.... I was thinking it was epsom salts! Is it nitrogen it puts back in the soil?

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

I'm really not sure what it is AuntB but it might be manganese. I think tomatoes need lots of it. I *could* be wrong tho. That was totally a guess.

AuntB--- I have done that. I have never ever seen a time when a egg concotion and red pepper did not stop them. Louisana hot sause works also but it has salt in it and you need to find a brand with very low salt. The one I am using is only 4%. It is not a lack of forage for the deer, it is a preferance for Hosta and tender flowers like my long Impatient beds and several giant pots filled with Begonias I have. I suppose if it continues I am going to have to do something else. I threw a old blanket over the yard deck rail on the side of the house they are coming thru to create a blind just for that purpose.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I plant Elephant Ears which I got from Iowa RU (brought at Earl May Nurseries) Sure it growing fast here!
I water it everyday to keep moist...

Here's pic:

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I final got all my succulents alive and it been over a year in attached garage (all were from Califorina which I lost good big old agave with alot of pups that first frost killing it that I left in garden shed! I lost about 10 of good old agave and aloe some orchid cactus...

I have now aloes and some other plants:

Thumbnail by JuJu55
NE, KS(Zone 5b)

I wish those big agave were hardy here in the midwest. They are so neat looking. Rusty, sorry for your losses, looks like you have quite a bit left... Oz, I'd try cutting Irish Spring bars into 4ths and toss them here and there around the beds to see if it has any impact. That is so awful to see your pretties being munched on. So now I need to see what hosta polar moon looks like, I may want one!

Oz, get a dog that won't quit barking. That's the only thing I can think of. lol

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Langbr - Nice Purple Pinwheel blooms colors...

Yesterday,I has just sprinkle rain and I notice I go to other side of town it raining! Werid Weather!
It like circle around and middle of just full sunshine!

Other house I final got plumbing fix and oh boy! In Kitchen cabinet have to get out that pipe just lose to draining down and full of water flood! So, I have find someone know about this kitchen under the house!

I get busy today!

Pepper----- We got a big lab next door that does that. she can bark her head off on the deck are from in the house and they got it all figured out. I can guarantee you a mixture of eggs garlic and red pepper will stop them in their tracks prayed on the plants. I got a notion I might have used a weak solution are else used it to soon. the egg part of the soluytion has to age a about a day at current temperatures. I had 4 eggs 1 Tbs of Garlic and 1 Tbs of gound red pepper in in 2 gals of water. I think the pepper needs to be stronger. It is hard however to put it thru a regular garden sprayer because it wants to seperate. I also mixed the batch I used just a short time before I applied it. I ahs 2 new ones i mixed yeasterday and they will make 4 gals. But this time I got some louisana hot sause called Texas Petes Hot Sauce. The reason i used that brand is it is only 4% sodium that will amount to almost nothing mixed with 2 gals of water. It is also very fuild and stays free in the mix. I used 4 tbs of that in with the rest of the stuff. So lets see what that does when I spray it today. They did not come back last night. I was waiting after dark and before daylight to see them.

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

I really sympathize with you Oz. Hope the stronger concoction does the trick. I'll put your recipe in my garden ledger for future reference. Does it work on bunnies as well? (I picture you sitting on the porch in your robe and boots just waitin'!) lol
Joyce hope your mom is improving.. We had hard rain at my house yesterday afternoon, while I was at work. Not so hard to do damage, and no watering last night. Foggy this morning and the windows were all steamed up. Gave me the inkling that Autumn is just around the corner...... (there's still lots of time for our pretties, though) The weather has been weird this year, started with the late spring freeze and rain has been isolated and scattered. Big 18th birthday for my "baby boy" tomorrow - small gathering planned and hope the burn pile is dry enough to torch.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Final, It raining here now and it pourdown so fast! lol...

Rusty lying down and watch raining!

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Ahhhh! The rain.... way to go Rusty, That's what I would do if i could!

Cleveland area, OH(Zone 5b)

Epsom salts is mostly magnesium and sulphur. Supposedly it helps fruit production and overall vigor. But I haven't heard of using it to help ripen the fruit. My tomatoes are also very slow to ripen!

Brenda

Mine are just now ripening and I have new ones trying to form also.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I paint on front porch today and sure it look good color like sand in desert...

Thumbnail by JuJu55

Looks great!!

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Rusty...what did you use to paint your porch and how did you prep? I need paint my front porch and I love your color...think it will look good with my native Mo. rock house. Thanks...Rose

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Here's the pic of paint you can see the label and name of paint from Lowe's...

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Label:

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I use the paint brush 2" and shur-line for to smooth out the cement... First clean out the dirt with hand broom then paint along the edge & sides also corner... Use shur-line heavy paint to smooth out and if you see the like black spot (holes) use the heavy paint 2" brush then let it dry for an hour then smooth out with smooth roller...

I have to paint 1 more coat (2 coats cause see the paint little color blue...

As on Tuesday to Thursday --- Excessive Heat! Stay inside and stay cool also drinking alot of waters....

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Thanks for all the info and pics Rusty! I think this will be a nice project and really improve my front porch. It is old cement and needs something badly. We are not that far from where you live and the weather has been soooo hot. This next week is supposed to be in the mid to upper 90's. I am not a fan of hot weather and try and get the outdoor chores done in the early morning.

Thank you again and stay cool.....Rose

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Finally got rain yesterday and alot of it, in fact so much that my new waterfall slid, pulled the liner away from the top of the waterfall and almost all the of pond water was pumped out onto the ground! My DH went around to feed the fish about 8:00pm and found the pump just running with not one drop of water.....the little fish didn't die because I had dug a small hole in case just a thing happened.....so back to the drawing board on my waterfall, instead of a slope I think I will dig some cutouts. Waterplants in +90 weather with no water...well....they may not be as lucky as the fish. This is the stuff memories are made of right...LOL

My Mom is doing better, for being 83 she is doing great.

Joyce

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Oh Joyce, how frustrating. Sounds like too much rain, too fast. So glad you could save the fishies, wise planning on your part. The plants ... I bet they'll be okay, maybe not pretty, but alive. You guys were out there probably till after dark.. Grrrrrrr. No rain in site for us, just hot and humid. Glad your Mom is doing better and hope she is not pain, or as much pain. Hope I do as good as her when if I make it to 83!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.