Botany Quiz: Which of the following is an example of a monocot?

There are a total of 379 votes:

Apricot
(48 votes, 12%)
Red dot

Cycad
(47 votes, 12%)
Red dot

Daylily
(146 votes, 38%)
Red dot

Fern
(47 votes, 12%)
Red dot

Ginkgo
(24 votes, 6%)
Red dot

Oak
(15 votes, 3%)
Red dot

Pine
(20 votes, 5%)
Red dot

Rose
(0 votes, 0%)
Red dot

Tomato
(13 votes, 3%)
Red dot

Waterlily
(19 votes, 5%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Lilesville, NC(Zone 7b)

I am the 2nd one to do this...WOW don't know if i am right so i guess i will wait and see what everyone says.

Char

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Char, you are correct.

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

I got it right, but I have to confess, I looked it up. And it wasn't easy to find the answer. But I don't feel like I cheated, I feel like I learned something today, and that is a big part of what I like about Dave's. I learn something about plants and gardening every day.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I knew for sure half of them were wrong, but choose the wrong one remaining.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Well, I don't know if I'm correct ~ but I don't know if you are either. lol

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

oops I suppose I have never grown a daylily seed before so i didn't know. You learn something new every day.
Martha

Berkeley, CA(Zone 9b)

Darn it. Daylily was my first answer, but I changed my mind to gingko and voted that.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

lol i still belive its the water lilly

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

HA! Pure guess and I got it right! I must have seen that info somewhere and filed it away in the shallow dark recesses of my brain.

Warren, PA(Zone 5a)

I thought "monocot" was just an uncomfortable bed for one, as in "Grandpa and Grandma, we'll put you in the guest room, and Cousin Larry, you'll be sleeping on the monocot."

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I learned this in college biology, and (somehow) I retained it for the 25 + years since. I don't exactly know what it means, biologically speaking, but I can tell a monocot from a dicot. Usually.

xxx,
Carrie

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

LOL, Bdale

I partially cheated, I googled the word and the first thing I read was that when a monocot seed sprouts, the first leaf up is a single stalk, like a blade of grass. So I stopped reading and went back and guessed. Just luck that I was right. LOL

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

32% so far got it right! We've got to brush up on our skill. lol. (I was wrong btw).

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

And I was SOOOOO wrong. Just goes to show you that I have a lot to learn!!

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Since I'm a "see it in the nursery.....think it's pretty....deer won't eat it....buy it....plant it....wait and see" type person, I thought it meant "one seed" and chose the "dummy answer": apricot! :-)

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

darn, wrong again. i know that palms are monocots so i picked cycad, even though cycads aren't palms. foiled again.

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

I fell into that trap too. Ginkgo had me wondering as well.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

these "traps" are feeling like quicksand lately. from my answers, you'd think i've never picked up a book in my life! LOL

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

LOL BDale60!

I cheated and looked it up first. I agree with Grampapa - it's not so bad if I got an education out of it. I had no clue otherwise!

Harper

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

I looked it up and was still corn-fused...the definition I read said it included lillies and some ferns, and I come back to our list, and there are daylillies, water lillies, and ferns....so I didn't vote. I just came here to see what the answer was. LOL

Good one, Terry!

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

I read the def. 4 times and I still don't have a clue.

Durango, CO

yeah i completely have no idea... i almost picked apricot haha.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

I will go out on a limb (every pun intended) and say that every plant with parallel veins running straight up and down the leaves are monocots, and those with spreading, "tree" shaped vein structures in the leaves or which have leaves made up of leaflets (like the arrangement on a cycad leaf) are dicots. I await the debate from the botanists and other experts to provide the exceptions to that rule so that we can all continue to learn.

Jeremy

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
32% so far got it right! We've got to brush up on our skill. lol.

Things are definitely improving, and doing so fast . . . it's up to 43% right now, 11% better in just 4 hours!

At this rate of change, by the end of the week, there'll be 250% correct answers!

Resin

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Jeremy, that's what I took home from college 25 years ago. But then how do grasses fit in? They hadn't invented grass yet when I went to college.

xx, Carrie

Carrie, grasses do have parallel veins in each leaf blade. A full lawn is a few billion plantlets.

Zen koan:

"Take up a blade of grass and make it your sixteen foot golden Buddha."

Ponder upon that, Grasshopper, or chew on it, if you prefer. LOL

Jeremy

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Yep, grasses are monocots.

Note that parallel veins doesn't necessarily prove a plant is a monocot, nor vice-versa – conifers have parallel veins but are not monocots, while arums have net veins, but are monocots.

Resin

Thanks, Resin. I knew there must be some exceptions to the "rule."

Jeremy

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

My eyes are crossed.

Osmosis Makshi. Maybe we can absorb it by osmosis.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

or by charmin? did i say that?

LOL ~ guess you know I got this one wrong : /

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

I'm with makshi--still tryin' to uncross my eyes! And undot my t's...

Raeford, NC(Zone 7b)

Ah... I thought the lily might be right, but ultimately, I liked the word gingko, so I chose it. Oh well!

Those college ag classes pay off once again. ; - >

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I, too, looked it up first, but hey, this a cheap way of getting some education.

Traverse City, MI(Zone 6a)

I had to look it up, and even doing that I found one that was definately right and another that seams to be partially right. My brain hurts time for bed :)

Denver, CO

So, what is the most recent categorisation for Ginkgo?
There are gymnosperms and angiosperms, is ginkgo a regular-sperm?
Protoconifer?
Plain ol' freak?

About all I know about Ginkgo biloba (http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/337/) is that it was around in the time of the dinosaurs and has not changed its structure since that time, that it is dioecious (has male and female plants), and that I greatly want a good sized seedling of G. biloba (hint! hint!) for my Jurassic Park Garden made up of plants like this that were food for the plant eating dinos.

Jeremy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.