American Goldfinch

Louisville, KY(Zone 6b)

Thanks pelletory,

Love your pictures too!!!! Post more.

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

Betty, that is one incredible picture!!!!

Louisville, KY(Zone 6b)

Murmur,

Thanks, but it does not come close in comparison to your picture. I will start looking for the picture in the mail in a few days. I am still so excited!!!!

It's almost on its way - it was supposed to go out the door with me this morning (it's already in an envelope), but guess who left it on the kitchen counter??!!

Louisville, KY(Zone 6b)

Murmur,

I will take a picture of it framed in my living room and post it on your D-Mail. I am trying to think of something nice to do for you in return!!!

No need, Betty - just you asking has warmed my heart considerably!!

Louisville, KY(Zone 6b)

Thanks Murmur, You are so nice!!!!!!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

We've only been here 3 years so I was so excited when I put my finch feeder up after receiving it for Christmas, attracted finches right away. Had a purple finch show up also..can anyone tell me why they are called purple when they are red???

Resin, my gosh - I missed your image somehow . . . what a glorious bird your Goldfinch is!!!

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

coming late to the party- the goldfinches LOVE my annual rudbeckia.
The thread caught my eye because I'm noticing one(or more?) goldfinches flying over the yard, singing as they fly, but it has a question an answer kind of rhythm to it. like ---chir cheep cheep cheep? Cheep chirp chirp chirp. alternating the two phrases. Is this typical?

Marlton, NJ

Mine do that here.Not sure whats typical for them.

Cedar Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

We only see the gold finches down here in the winter. We really look forward to their arrival. They arrive with pine siskins. Most have their winter colors but an occasional male will still have a hint of brighter yellow.

I've tried, for years, offering thistle in the summer but have no takers. In fact I just mixed in some other "finch" seeds with some thistle hoping to catch the attention of the house finches but they are ignoring it. The gold finches and pine siskins flock to thistle.

My mother, who is no longer with us, lived in Shelbyville, Ky, 30 miles east of Louisville. She fed hordes of gold finches using the "upside-down" finch feeders. I don't know what the status of finches is now in the area.

I was visiting Nashville Tn a few weeks ago. They have some sunflowers in their front yard and near the road (older neighborhood; small front yard). Two male finches, in all their summer glory, were hanging out on a pole line near the sun flowers. Sure was a rare treat for these eyes.

gg=alice

Louisville, KY(Zone 6b)

geekgranny,

I have two goldfinch that visit my yard daily for the past month or so. They are always together and they are always going for my Zowie Zinnas. They are so fast and I snuck up on them and got this shot. Not very good but the best I could do considering I was far away and do not have a great zoom on my camera. Still I am proud of the shot because I took it.

I have been to Shelbyville---=lovely place. We love Kentucky--except for the heat right now!!!! Gardening is not fun during these hot days of August.

Thumbnail by BettyFB
S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

not the most clear picture, but cute

Thumbnail by debi_k
Louisville, KY(Zone 6b)

Great picture debilu---looks like he is posing for the camera!!!!

or talking to the moose

Louisville, KY(Zone 6b)

Hi sally,

Blind me I did not even see the moose, I was just focused on looking at that beautiful shot of the Goldfinch. Yes, you are right he looks like he is talking to the Moose. Now I like that picture even better!!!!

"excuse me, sir... have you seen any thistle around here?"

Betty, you did good!!! I'll bet you were about dancing for joy!

And, Debilu, that's adorable!!

I had a lot of Goldfinch visiting today - here's one rather sweet image, I think.

Thumbnail by Murmur
Louisville, KY(Zone 6b)

sallyg,

So funny---LOL!!!!

Murmur---also too funny!!! LOL, I am sending you a card today. I love my picture so much and look at it often. I finally got a picture of a goldfinch but nothing to compare to all of these. My camera does not have a great zoom as yours does. I just love the goldfinch.

That is neat that you cross on a ferry to get home each day. That brought back childhood memories. I was born in Ghent, Ky.---population 400 and our house faced the Ohio River and we often crossed on the ferry to get to ViVi , Indiana and I remember as a child thinking it was so much fun.

Thumbnail by BettyFB

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.