Jasmine sambac

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I have a pot of Jasmine sambac that is getting ready to bless me with the best blooming since I've had this plant (at least four years).

I just wanted to share with you all. Can't wait 'til the blooms open! It's gonna smell heavenly out there on my balcony! I just hope the peak of bloom isn't while I'm on vacation.

This photo was taken four days ago...

Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose

And this is from this morning, looking down on the plant...

Thanks for letting me share...

Karen

Covington, LA(Zone 8b)

Beautiful plant. I never could get mine to fill out. It bloomed for several years but was a stick. Wonderful smell, though.
Johanna

It started blooming when I was gone on vacation, so I missed the first blooms.

This is what I came home to though... my balcony smells heavenly!

Close-up of bloom...

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Just beautiful. Looks so healthy. How do you overwinter your jasmine?

Hi Snowrose! Thanks!

I just bring it in the house and give it a bright location. I had it under gro-lights last winter, and it continued to bloom almost all winter. I've moved to an apt with a southern exposure now, so I'll probably just sit it in a sunny location.

It has been ssooo hot and dry (but terribly humid) here this summer. It is getting about six hours of super-hot sun where it's at right now, and seems as happy as a lark! I've been giving it a good bit of MG when I water, and I haven't let the soil get dried out.

Our heat index here today is 113!!! I have to admire my balcony from the sliding door (closed!) now! I just can't take that kind of heat anymore!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

You are having the same weather we are. Man is it hot! Thanks for the growing information. You have encouraged me to give it a try.

Another pretty bloom up close... (smells so nice! wish it wasn't 100 degrees on my balcony!)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Beautiful photo. I stopped at a local nursery yesterday to see if they had jasmine. They did have one but it was unlabeled so I didn't know what variety it was and so I didn't buy it. The one they had looked as if it would grow as a shrub with a woody structure. Is that how yours is?

Yes... mine is cut back time and time again.

Just a sec... I'll go snap a pic...

Sorry... that took a little longer than I expected...

This is looking up under the plant, at the stems...

That is just beautiful!! A DGer sent me one of those one time. It bloomed once, enough to get me hooked on the fragrance, and then it died. I was heartbroken! You've convinced me to try to find one again. It's a beautiful plant and you're doing a fabulous job with it! Thanks for the pictures! I wish you could dmail the fragrance to me! LOL

Me too! I have this jasmine and my first ever plumeria blooming right now! They both smell so nice!!!

I just have to show off my plumie bloom... hope you all don't mind. (They will have to come indoors for the winter!)

That's beautiful! I have never smelled a Plumeria, but everyone says they're heavenly. Is it difficult to grow?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the information about pruning your plant back and taking the time for a photo of the stems.. The one I saw at the nursery was blooming and the fragrance was so nice and sweet. So now, I might just go back and see if it's still there. See what you started!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I didn't see your plumeria till after I sent the last post. Gorgeous. Excellent photo. Love the dark background. That would be beautiful framed.

Thank you! I have taken so many photos of my flowers this summer. I will probably work on some this winter, when I need a pick-me-up... matting and framing them!

Amy... I've had good luck with the plumies I have so far. This is my first year growing them, and I bought three! (I am ssoooo bad!!!) They are picky about drainage... they simply cannot stay wet, and they don't like cold. They have enjoyed this super-hot weather. I still have to over-winter them, and I know they will drop their leaves and just look like sticks... I have to be very careful about water during the winter... I hope they will survive and come back next year!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

My sister has a plumeria she puts out every summer and stores in the basement over winter where it loses all it's leaves. A sorry sight. But...when she puts it out for the summer, her ugly duckling leafs out and blooms so pretty. She's had hers for several years now and it started as nothing more than what looked like a small thick stick. She fell in love with them while visiting in Hawaii.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.