Arrowhead Vine

De Soto, MO

Can anyone tell me how to get starts from an arrowhead vine? The one I have is one from my sons funeral, and it has gotten VERY LEGGY! I am afraid I am going to lose it!

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Condolences on your loss...

Can you provide a photo of your plant?

Typically, any plant that is vining in habit, can be cut back to the second or third node, and will regrow from that point. You can also take the cuttings and put them in water... have at least two nodes, three is better... with the lowest node under the water level. Roots will form there, and leaves will form from the top node(s).

Good luck and blessing to you...

Karen

Phelan, CA(Zone 8b)

I don't know how long you've had this plant, but I think these syngoniums tend to decline after several years. Whenever I get a new one, it is compact, bushy and very attractive. Over the next 7-8 years though, it gets leggier and leggier, and less attractive because there tends to be more vine than leaves after this much time. I have tried cutting them back, but so some reason it doesn't seem to solve the problem. For me personally, getting a new plant and starting all over every 5-7 years (depending on how the plant looks) seems to work out well. Also, as Karen suggested, try rooting cuttings. Much cheaper than buying a new plant. I have found the beautiful Allusion series on ebay in the past, (they come in quite a few beautiful colors, including pink and plum) and while they are normally quite small plants (in 4" pots) they grow rather quickly into nice hanging plant specimens. I also have a French Marble Syn that is just stunning, but then again, I'm really "into" anything variegated!

Randi

Now here's where I differ, I really prefer when they get their mature leaves and the vines get really thick and they vine all over the place!

Susan

Waterville, VT(Zone 4b)

These plants are extremely easy to start over again. I have done it many times. Take several cuttings that have three to six leaves on it, and take a couple of the lower leaves off, and put into a basket with a moist good quality soiless mix like Promix. Cover the basket with a clear plastic bag for about three weeks; put it in a bright spot out of the sun - I prefer a flourescent light, and voila you will have a brand new Syngonium. I also prefer the look of these plants before they send vines out everywhere. I start mine over about every 12-18 months.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Arrowhead vine grows and roots well in water also...................just take some cuttings as people say and leave several sets of leaves on the top and just root in either water or soil-less mix.......................
I am truly sorry that your son is no longer with you . You are a brave and faithful person to keep up your hopes. If, by any chance, you want more vine, I have so many kinds and would love to send you extra if you wish.
If you mix it all together (what you do have and extras) it will get giant..............

June: My condolences also on your son's passing. That is one of the hardest thing to lose a child. Take care of yourself!

Susan

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.