swedish ivy has brown, shriveled leaf tips

Williamsburg, VA(Zone 7b)

I have a swedish ivy that, up until about 2 weeks ago, was thriving - dark green leaves, new growth, etc. Within the last 2 weeks, there are brown, dried leaf tips and the plant doesn't look as healthy green. I haven't moved it to a new location nor have I changed when I water it. Does anyone know what is wrong with it?

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

can you let us see a picture by chance..................mine drinks a lot of water..............I have a big basket of it...................

**********just remember that is by chance it is diseased or something and you can't save it...............it roots so easily..............I put 5 cuttings to a 4" pot of the av soil-less mix with 1/2 perlite and put it under a dome.........in two weeks time you could have a full new basket again...............the roots take over in two weeks and fill the little 4" pot.

It is in my office at work...I'll try to send a picture tomorrow.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

well...................that is the problem...............they like high humidity and can't get it indoors.............i can't even bring mine in over the winter............too dry inside........why don't you go ahead and bring it home.............take cuttings and start all over...............

We can think of a better plant to have at the office..................

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I agree with Gail... it sounds like the air is to dry in you office.

Phelan, CA(Zone 8b)

So now I know why I can't keep Swedish Ivy (we call it Creeping Charlie in CA) alive for long where I'm living now. The first one I ever had was in Long Beach, and of course, the ocean humidity was probably doing it a lot of good. Here, the leaves get soft and semi-wilted, and the leaf tips turn brown. Then the plant slowly declines until doomsday. I have a very dry, hot desert climate here, yet keep even rex begonias and nepenthes happy in my house. Of course, they have pebble trays, and I couldn't do that with a hanging Swedish Ivy. I love their smell though - its unlike any other smell I've detected from a plant, and I'd know it anywhere! These plants are very dear to me, and if I can figure out a way to keep one happy and thriving, I'd love to have one again some day.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Have you tried misting it regularly? That's how I deal with houseplants that don't enjoy low humidity.

Turlock, CA(Zone 9a)

Another cool way to add humidity is to get an indoor fountain. I love the ones that have that 'fog' effect! I knew someone that had a few of those and a couple of fish aquariums and she had beautiful plants!

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I have both swedish ivy and creeping charlie..................the only difference I see in the two is the size of their leaves..............creeping charlie being much smaller leaves than what i am calling swedish ivy?????????????

All my grands are in...later I will post a picture of each one...........

Phelan, CA(Zone 8b)

The one that I know of as Creeping Charlie has a very distinctive smell, especially when touched, and scalloped leaf edges. The leaves are maybe 1 /2 - 2" wide. Yes, it would be great if you could post pictures of each!

Randi

I had a warm air humidifier running over the winter as our office was extremely dry and we were getting shocked by anything we touched. With the beginning of spring and then summer, I turned the humidifier off since we are so humid this time of year. Prior to the humidifier, I misted the plant. I guess I shouldn't have stopped!

How often should I mist?

Thanks everyone! Lisa

P.S. Or should I take it home and hang it outdoors? I don't want to lose it!

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

i haven't been on DG.................had company.............
Here is a pic of creeping charlie (mine is in a big basket)

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Here is another hanging basket I call Swedish Ivy
They both live outside on the porch or in terrariums...........

Thumbnail by gessiegail
San Antonio, TX

gessiegail

I agree with your the pic you posted is what I identify as Creeping Charlie and Sweedish Ivy is a thicker larger leaf.

Incidentally you wouldnt be willing to trade some of your creeping charlie for postage would U?

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I wouldn't mind a bit if i can jot this note down...................promised two people packages last week and haven't even sent them out...............I will put it in my drafts so I can remember..............the hanging basket is drooping down plenty so lots of good cuttings..............
going to put it in my drafts right now so i don't forget..............email me with your address and that also reminds me of what I have promised.........

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.