Do You Have A Favorite Watering Can?

Waterville, VT(Zone 4b)

I don't know if this topic has been addressed before, so forgive me if it has. I could talk all day about watering cans, people think this is weird, but I would think that fellow gardeners might understand. I was wondering if anyone else is as passionate about their watering can as I am. I have had many watering cans in my lifetime, but the one that I go back to more often then any other can is the Dramm 2 liter. In my opinion there is no better can in the world (I own three). It is to me the one that has the perfect balance to water ratio. It does not ever rust if you leave water in it unlike my $50 Hawes can. The spout is the perfect length for getting between tight leaves to get the water where you want it. It almost becomes an extension of your hand, and allows for pinpoint accuracy. My stupid 1 Liter Hawes can has a curve in the spout, which never allows you to know when or how fast the water comes out. The Dramm has a detachable rose for fine seedling watering that comes apart for cleaning. The Dramm is made out of a soft plastic that is almost indestructible. So if you drop it from 100 feet it will not break unlike cheap hard plastic cans. I will however caution that tip is susceptible to cats chewing on it so you might want to keep it in a cat free zone. It is available in lots of great colors that make spotting your can easy.

All of those benefits for $12-$14 seems like a bargain to me, and no, I have no affiliation with the Dramm company. A good tool especially one that is used as frequently as a watering can makes all the difference in taking care of your plants. I probably own 10-12 watering cans from three gallons down to 1 quart - keep in mind that I also spend three hours per week taking care of the plants where I work, but the 2 Liter Dramm is the one I use 80% of the time. Many times I will pour from the three gallon can into the Dramm just because it works the best. I will now stop here, because like I said before, I could talk all day about watering cans.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4a)

Hoya_24,
I don't know that I have ever discussed watering cans, but I too have some definite likes and dislikes. One dislike is a can I own that, if you fill it to within 2 inches of the top, sloshes water out the spout as I walk. I think that this had to be designed by someone who didn't ever try to use the can. Another complaint is the cheap plastic ones that have a small, hard plastic ridge left over from the mold, and when it is heavy with water, cuts into your hand. Duct tape helps with this. A watering can should have a straight spout, and the spout should be a large enough diameter so if a dried leaf gets stuck, you can poke something down the spout to dislodge it. Also, the opening into the can where you add water should be large enough to get your hand in there, so you can retrieve that dead leaf you poked through the spout.

I will have to look up the Dramm can. That is quite a recommendation. I don't know the make of my favorite one, but it is functionally quite good, a softer plastic, but unfortunately is white, so smears of fish emulsion leave ugly brown stains.

Thanks for bringing up this topic.

Susan in Minneapolis

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Great topic...and it's funny because I think I just found the perfect one a couple of weekends ago.

It holds 2 gallons so it's heavy (which is it's only drawback) but the great thing about it in my opinion is that it's hole for filling is on the side near the top, rather than right at the top, and it's a large hole.

I like that because I can put Tillandsias right into the can to soak then easily retrieve them, and I can also put a few small plants mounted on cork and fernslab into the can to soak.
This is the first one I've been able to do that with.

I have several watering cans...different ones for different purposes (big ones for big plants, small ones with long thing spout for hard to reach places, etc..) and this is really the first 'favorite' one I've owned.

Waterville, VT(Zone 4b)

A picture is worth a thousand words: My Dramm Two Liter. This is my oldest one, and is probably 15-18 years old. They last.

Thumbnail by Hoya_24
Waterville, VT(Zone 4b)

This is a great can for those "larger" watering jobs. It is a 10 liter and has a push button on the side. I don't know if it is made any more, but it works great. When you are watering a large pot and the top of the pot is full of water just let go of the button and all water stops coming out instantly. When you want to resume watering, push the button. This stops you from having to tilt the heavy watering can from horizontal to vertical all the time.

Thumbnail by Hoya_24
Waterville, VT(Zone 4b)

This is my three gallon can. For such a large can, it is very well balanced, but it does take some strength to use it on a hanging basket!

Thumbnail by Hoya_24
Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4a)

Hoya_24,
Wow! The orange one is exactly the same as the white one I mentioned above, except mine is white and doesn't have the name on the side, and is probably more than 30 years old. I will check the brand when I get home. This is a testament to good design and durability.

Susan in Minneapolis

Waterville, VT(Zone 4b)

Susan,
If it looks just like my can, that is problable what it is. Dramm's are made in Switzerland, and are hard to beat for design and functionality. While just doing a google search on my push button watering can, I found out that it is made in England and is available in many models. In order to get one now, I think that is where you would have to buy it from and have it shipped. That could bring up a whole different topic. Why do the English have so many great gardening products that are not available here? While looking for gardening solutions, many times the only answer is to be found on UK only sites. I have got to think that gardening is more of a passion with the English than the Americans.

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Interesting!
I've noticed, too, that often when I go to search for coveted plants, they're only available from UK sources, and that many of the good houseplant related books are also from UK sources.

I like that push-button feature!

I'll try to get a photo of my new one tonight....my family willl think I've completely lost it! LOL!! (Ü)

Waterville, VT(Zone 4b)

Nan, Don't worry about the family, mine knows that I "lost it" a long time ago LOL! But all kidding aside, people do look at me strangely sometimes when I start talking about some gardening topic that really interests me like, for instance, watering cans. That's what is great about these forums; you can find like minded people that don't think that you are crazy.

The English have very long gardening traditions that go back hundreds of years. Even many of their murder mysteries take place in gardens and conservatories. I think that I read somewhere that even gardening shows on TV are very highly rated, and it may be the number one hobby in England. They are obviously on the right track.

Doug

(Zone 1)

Well ... Ladies and Gents: I have been searching for a good & inexpensive (I know those two don't go together) watering can for so long. I had a large 3 gal plastic one that lasted for many, many years and finally sprung a leak about a year ago, so it went by way of the recycling bin. Right now I have this pink plastic, cheap thing I bought at Wal-Mart ... you've heard the expression "you get what you pay for" .... well I got it. This isn't the greatest but works for a few things:

Thumbnail by plantladylin
(Zone 1)

This is my main way of watering most plants:

(Zone 1)

Now, I do have this little guy, but it doesn't hold water .... it's a watering can bird house!

(Zone 1)

And .... I do have these little metal watering cans, but they usually hold little potted plants:

One of these days I will break down and spend some serious money on a good watering can like that
Dramm can. I would love one with a long nozzle like that.

Harrisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Hey, found those cans on Amazon.com for $12 plus shipping; bought two. I am convinced!
8>))
Larry

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4a)

I will send pictures of my OLD white model, possibly older than 30 years, and used continuously. It still looks the same to me as the red one. I looked at the bottom, and found this (more or less; it is in script, so a bit hard to read):
Stochli netstal Modele Depose

I don't even know what language it might be.

Susan in Minneapolis

Thumbnail by smkennedy
Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4a)

... and the dorsal view...

Thumbnail by smkennedy
Waterville, VT(Zone 4b)

Susan,
That is definitely the Dramm Two Liter. There is no question about it. Mine says exactly the same thing in the center on the bottom of the can. If that isn't a testament to the cans absolute durability, I don't know what is. 30 years and still watering strong - Wow!!

Larry, you won't be sorry you ordered those cans. If anyone loves plants, this is the best investment that you will ever make.

Plantladylin, all your pictures made me laugh! I have that exact pink can in green - I hate it. I inherited it from my father, but never use it. Even when you use a hose for most watering, occasionally you want to fertilize your plants and need a can. Take my advice, buy a good can; it makes the watering chore so much more pleasant.

Doug

(Zone 1)

Yep Doug ... I do need a good can! I had a choice between the pink and green and since I'm sometimes a girly girl and love the color pink, I got that one! :) My husband just looked and said: "A Pink Watering Can?" ..... and laughed! He has never liked the color pink. I think it dates back to the early 70's when I did one of our bathrooms all in pink!

Yeah, it does help to have a can when fertilizing! I usually mix my fertilizer up in a one gallon water jug for inside Gessie's and house plants. Outside I like having a two or three gal size can ... just cause I'm lazy and with so many plants it takes forever to keep filling a small size can! Now when I feed the orchids, I just fill a real large tub with water and plant food and dunk them one by one! I really like the looks of those Dramm Two Liter's .... might just have to order one of those when I get back from my trip to visit my sister!

Y'all have a wonderful weekend and Happy Gardening! I'm not playing in the dirt at all today ... off to get pedicure & manicure with two of my friends! Girly stuff! Of course by tomorrow the manicure will have been for naught ... I'm sure I will be out messing with plants again before I leave for my trip!

Medford, NJ

Here is my delux watering can, holds lots of water, convenient easy grip handle, goes well with the rest of my redneck decor. Unless you read the label, you would never guess about it's previous life as a pancake syrup container. I highly recommend it, totally free if you know someone who works in a restaurant, or want to go "dumptser diving" in the diner parking lot after hours.

Thumbnail by Bhavana34
Waterville, VT(Zone 4b)

Bhavana, If that is your only honest to God watering can, I feel for you. I've plant sat for people who used a similar watering system, and it pretty much sucks. When watering hanging baskets, you can't get the spout between the dense vines and leaves so water pretty much ends up everywhere. If you try to pour very slowly and carefully, the water pours back from under the container wetting the floor, sill and your shoe. Maybe you were only kidding about the syrup container, and you have a closet full of great watering cans. I can only hope.

Doug

Medford, NJ

Doug, thanx so much for your concern but watering hanging baskets for me usually involves taking them down and to the sink, where I can also get a good look at them and do some grooming, and maybe give them a little shower with the hand held nozzle. I do the same with the smaller plants. It's all good.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.