Got tomatoes?

There are a total of 612 votes:

Yes, we've been enjoying juicy fresh tomatoes for several weeks!
(212 votes, 34%)
Red dot

Not yet, but we're getting close!
(238 votes, 38%)
Red dot

We don't have any tomato plants, but we're enjoying locally-grown produce now
(71 votes, 11%)
Red dot

Yuck! I'm a mater-hater, so no tomatoes here!
(33 votes, 5%)
Red dot

Other?
(58 votes, 9%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Newport News, VA(Zone 11)

Planted two tomatoe plants in April, one in the ground, one in a container, then got frost...figured they were gonners, forgot about them till June when I spied a shiny red spot which was a huge ripe tomatoe! Only one. Checked the container and there was another. My yield to date....two very determined tomatoes.

Toledo, OH(Zone 6a)

I voted soon, but I've had some. Only the cherries and not enough to make a salad. I expect a big harvest any day now!!!

Warren, PA(Zone 5a)

A pretty little Sungold was just making the transition yesterday. Once ripe, it will be the first "official" tomato of the year for our garden. The other tomatoes are more in the heirloom category (Pruden's Purple, Amana Orange, Speckled Roman) and while they have good looking green tomatoes (actually pretty robust in some cases) they aren't ready to turn just yet. We haven't had many of those super hot days this summer and things seem to be taking just a little longer than the norm.

Savannah, TN(Zone 7a)

We planted two grape tomato plants in a big pot on the back deck late in May and we've already gotten at least 3 quarts off of them and I'm starting to trim back the new flowers some cause it's just getting out of hand...:) But they sure are good!!!

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Tomatoes are a winter crop in Florida.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I have only 2 nice size ones in the vine right now but don't know if they will make it. Our weather has been very weird this year.

Toledo, OH(Zone 6a)

Who hates tomatoes????

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

actually had the first better boy this weekend and a bowlful of cherry maters.

london England, United Kingdom

I'm growing 'money maker' but haven't had any flowers yet!!

First ripe tomato from our vines is sitting on the counter, to be enjoyed at our mid-day meal!

I started 50 (assorted varieties) from seed in mid-April. 45 were for my son's large veggie garden out in the country, and I just planted 4 in our (DH and me) smaller veggie garden.

The plants are loaded, this year with baseball and larger, sized fruits.

No visible problems with the plants so far this year, even with all the rains we've had.

I cage mine, son lets them sprawl on the ground.

Sasha

Toledo, OH(Zone 6a)

Just wanted to add, my favorite subject!!!

(GayLynn) Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Have had many handfuls of cherry 'maters and have one big one on the vine just about ready to pick. Yum, yum..... can't wait to grab the salt shaker and eat that first one! No more tough skinned maters from the market!

Fernandina Beach, FL(Zone 8b)

Did not have tomatoes for several weeks yet, only since last week. At least the ones the bugs left over...

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

I have plenty of green ones and can't Wait until they're ready! I only do them in pots w/ much luck. This year I'm growin' yellow pear tomatoes ~ymmmm...really good for snacks! :D

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

This year I have 4 better boy and 4 brandywine in large containers in the front yard. They are in front of the garage and on the concrete so they get plenty of heat and light. I've got about 50 or so tomatoes just getting bigger and bigger, but not getting ripe yet. Would you believe I sold my excess plants at a yard sale?

Greensburg, PA

I have 4 Big Boy and 1 Sweet Million Tomato plants. Actually I have been taking the little red tomatoes for about 3 or 4 weeks already. They are very sweet. I have about 50 medium to large still too green tomatoes on the 4 Big Boys combined. I can hardly wait for them to turn red !!

Thumbnail by kidgarlic
Beachwood, NJ(Zone 6b)

Have had red tomatoes since about one and half weeks ago. Lots of cherry and grapes. Also early girls and now some beefsteaks. Yummy blt time!!!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I was pretty late putting things in so I just have some green stupices and some green sweet 100's and sungolds. I have a total of 5 cherry tomato plants and 9 large tomato plants. Our growing season is short, but I will certainly get a lot of cherry tomatoes and stupices. I have two or 3 Cherokee Purples and an Omar 's Lebanese (first time for me), a Prudens Purple, and a Caspian Pink. All are tried and true for me except the Omar's Lebanese and a Black Cherry.
And who hates tomatoes? Would you believe my husband? I was absolutely shocked. I grew up in New Orleans where a Creole tomato is considered one of the finest jewels on the planet. I had no idea someone could hate tomatoes.
Twenty years after our marriage, my husband will eat tomatoes in some forms, but never, never, never in Marinara sauce or raw. I feel sorry for him, but it is very hard to change a person's food preferences.
Actually, when I met my husband the only veggies he would were spinach and green beans. He has branched out a lot since then, but he has a way to go.

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

Voted not yet. Have actually had a few. 1 or 2 every other day or two.
When they do start I'm sure I'll be swamped with tomatoes that need canned right away. and I'll be giving them away. But that is ok as my cucumbers are comming on right now an that gives me time to pickle those that we can't eat fast enough.

Waxahachie, TX(Zone 8a)

Well, it's good to see I'm in the majority! I've got 1 mater plant here at work and it's had 1 green one on it for about 2 weeks. It's had several blooms, but only one fruit. I guess I need some more plants for pollenation. Has anyone ever heard of plucking all the leaves from mater plants for higher yield and better fruit?

Wayland, MA(Zone 6a)

we have had a few tomatoes they are just starting to ripen up, but the zucchini omg! I am giving it away and people are staring to avoid me for fear I will give them more ! I do love the fresh tomatoes there is nothing like a BLT with fresh t!
laura

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

got 'maters here... but they are soon to play out with the heat!

Waxahachie, TX(Zone 8a)

Bolino, my wife is a mater hater! Last year, I grew maters and made her eat some. She said they were good but she doesn't like the texture. I think it's a mental thing. Her family's wierd like that, her brother hates strawberries!

Toledo, OH(Zone 6a)

I can't imagine hating tomatoes, Why, it's like hating ice cream!!!

I know, I know, there are folks who don't like ice cream. I can't understand it, tho!

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I posted other because we have had tomatoes all summer.............even with all this rain the plants still produce big wonderful tomatoes................

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

broncbuster,
I have never heard of removing all the leaves from a tomato plant for higher yield and better fruit and I suspect doing so would do a lot more harm than good. The leaves are where the plant turns sunlight and minerals into plant food. Without them, you can forget getting tomatoes.
As far as pollination is concerned, tomatoes don't need another plant to produce fruit. I would check to be sure the plant has good soil and enough sunlight and water before I would even consider removing a single leaf. A good mulch around the bottom of the plant would probably help, though.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

I got the plants in late, so we don't have ripe tomatoes yet. My aunt says that my cousin's son doesn't like tomatoes. I don't like cherry tomatoes, but I like the regular ones.

Waxahachie, TX(Zone 8a)

Pajaritomt, this is where I got the idea. http://www.joyfultomato.com/ Just in case you were wondering how I could think such a thing. Is this guy for real?

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

broncbuster....................we spray the flowers with a retardant...........don't ask me why but then the plant produces great big clusters of tomatoes................

Broncbuster, I don't know about Poland, but here, a tomato plant need to have leaves to protect the fruit from sunscald. It's an interesting theory, though.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Thanks Broncbuster! I knew I had read it somewhere and we stripped off all the leaves for the bottom 2' of all tomatoes in the vegetable garden but not for the cherry tomatoes. I'll go out, when the rain ends, and strip one but not the other and we'll see what happens.

New Hampshire, NH(Zone 5b)

Not enough sun to grow tomatoes. This is the only time I dislike all the shade I have. I grew up on home-grown tomatoes and nothing can compare - even the locally grown ones somehow don't taste as good as one plucked from the backyard vine!

It seems that the tomatoes my dad grew in PA tasted better than the ones I grow here in CA. I don't know if it's the weather, night temperatures, the soil, the variety, or what. Here, it's hot and dry and we have to irrigate but the nights are coolish, the soil is alkaline, and I'm limited to nematode-resistant varieties. In PA, it's humid and rains a lot (or at least it did when I was growing up), the nights are warmish, the soil is acid, and I think my dad usually planted varieties with Boy in the name. Or maybe middle-aged tastebuds are not as good as young tastebuds.

-South Central-, IL(Zone 6a)

I can't grow tomatoes. I've tried everything. Other stuff will grow for me, but not tomatoes. SO... some patio tomatoes volunteered in my front 'focal' flowerbed, and there they are. I decided if they wanted to grow by themselves, I'd try and help them. I've been eating from them for about three weeks. I'm so happy to have them!

FlowrLady, I had a lot of trouble growing tomatoes until I discovered that I needed to use nematode-resistant varieties.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

broncbuster,
I have serious doubts about this guy's knowledge. How can one keep from having tomatoes from getting enough fresh air if they are grown outdoors? I can understand failing to water them enough, that would be a real problem, but removing the leaves on the plant seems like a very bad idea.
And as for air circulation, I had my tomato garden once on a windy mesa. No matter what I did, the tomatoes I grew there got diseases and had poor crops.
I guess the only way you could prove the guy wrong is to try it, but I wouldn't waste a perfectly good tomato plant on that theory. I would show this ad to your county extension agent and see if he has ever heard of this. I am sure you will have a good laugh together.

North Tazewell, VA

Got German Johnson, Better or Big Boy (I can't remember which), a cherry tomatoe and something else. All are doing ok at this time although the rabbits have pushed the plants over (not staked, just ground cover). Some big ones, some big clusters and some looking kind of rough. All still green but, getting close. It's got to be the soil cause I'm a first timer.

free

Richmond, VA

Two weeks of 95 degree days, ripened my Big Boys three weeks ahead of schedule. Not that I'm complaining, they are delicious. Cherry tomatoes are coming in a few at a time.

Houston, United States(Zone 9b)

"Other"

We're resorting to the almost flavorless and certainly bruised baseball variety supplied by the chain stores for now. A veg garden is a project in the works for next year and we can hardly wait til!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.