Best rebloomers for zone 6

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Nu-uh I'm good honest! It just most of the time it's the addiction talking... ;-)

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

Nice work Dee. Verrrry nice work.

Sure wish you needed a trial spot in the frozen North.....

'Blueberry Tart" will occasionally rebloom for me.

M.

Edited to add: sometimes it skips Spring altogether and just blooms in late Summer

This message was edited Jul 31, 2007 11:14 AM

Athens, OH

Has anyone had any luck with getting Little Blue Eyes to rebloom?
ROX

Athens, OH

See above.
Has anyone had any luck with:
Hemstitched
Be Happy
Plum Wine
Best Bet Constant Companion?
ROX

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Plum wine have been inconsistant with me. I have had it 5 years and seen it rebloom one time and that was last year

Lebanon, OR

Plum wine reblooms here every year....also July Yellow, Blueberry Tart, Bolder Boulder.

D

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks, everyone this will help on my Wish List.
Teresa

Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

This is my first year with reblooming Iris, Thanks to Mitt. I did what he told me to do, water at least once a week, and now I'm starting to get blooms. This one didn't bloom for me in the Spring, so I'm excited to see it bloom. It's taking its good old time, LOL. This iris is called Anxious, and I am ANXIOUS to see it bloom.

Thumbnail by cbrandenburg
Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

This row of Iris are all reblooming, I'm hoping to see more blooms. I sprayed messenger on everything this morning, hope that helps.

Thumbnail by cbrandenburg
(Sue) South Central, IA(Zone 5a)

You will LOVE Anxious.
she has never rebloomed for me, but then I can't afford to water either with time or money!

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Two whole years to wait for Splashed Silk. You had better start a list now Dee. Some of us have memories like heffalumps. Truly an ultra TDF iris.

inanda, planting away merrily.

Lebanon, OR

Inanda

Well hopefully it will be out in 2009! along with about 5 others....
snap it up, kick up your skirts, reach for the sky, grape blitz and caramel something....

Hopefully more to come. Several are broken colors.

D

enjoy planting., that is what I am doing today, planting all the ones I got.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Yes, I especially enjoyed your seedling, dee. But what does TDF mean?

Lebanon, OR

TDF if not mistaken states for "to die for" if not correct please correct me.:)

D

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Kerrecto mundo, Dee. First heard used by Kathy Guest.

BTW, Does anyone have a start of Queen's Circle for trade or sale? I want. More--- I crave.
inanda

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Thanks for translating the lastest web acronym for me! LOL! I thought it was an iris term! No matter how fast I run I am always behind in web talk!

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

I wish that you all had said where you have bought your rebloomers from. I have dealt with Nicholl's a bit and they seem to be very honest about what reblooms in their zone 6 Virginia nursery.
There are 6 they listed that do well in cold climates: Billionaire, Certainly-Certainly, Cross Stitch,G. Percy Brown, Northward Ho, and Zurich.
What has your experience been with them? What other re-blooming iris nurseries do you recommend?
BTY, they also said Rosalie Figg got Excellent Raves.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I don't use a reblooming nursery, though quite a few of mine are reputed to be rebloomers. Haven't seen it though. Only Romantic Evening has rebloomed for me. I almost passed out.

LOL, pass the smelling salts. You must up in the mountains to be in zone 5. So, did you get all your irises from trades?

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

No, in fact this is the first year I have traded iris. I got all of them before this buy buying them from many of the major iris houses Schreiners', Cooleys, Aitkens, Superstition Gardens, and from local nurseries. Unfortunately many of the ones from local nurseries didn't turn out to be what they said they were. Well one nursery is always right, another is not. Locally, I only buy blooming iris -- that way I know what I am getting.
I haven't tried to get rebloomers. I just ordered the iris I wanted. Some of mine are rebloomers but have never rebloomed for me. I am up in the mountains and have a short growing season so that is probably why they don't rebloom.
I did buy an Immortality this year. I understand that is one of the most reliable rebloomers. Maybe that will work for me. I also have some other rebloomers including Sugar Blues, which has yet to bloom the first time for me. Maybe next year.

You might try the 6 I listed from Nicholl's. We'd love to hear results next year. My season isn't quite as short as yours, but it is usually cool, rarely above 80 deg. So I am going to try those six if it is not too late to get them.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I probably won't be ordering any new iris this year due to the fact that I have already bought way more than I have any idea where to plant. Right now, I am planting them temporarily in my veggie beds which have overhead watering. That's because I already ran out of 1 gallon pots to pot them in.
I have the addiction bad.
The good news, plenty of my new ones are rebloomers. As I figure out which ones, I will observe them for reblooming.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I'm in the same boat:) I got my first ever order of named iris from langbr's co-op and have those 12 potted up in the back. This week I received 2 other orders and one company was so generous with the bonus iris! I ordered 13 iris and ended up with 29! Some that I ordered were on the small side so I got 2 of those but some of the iris are double fans and 8 were strictly bonus, which is cool regardless of the size of them:lol: Plus I bought from two other co-op besides these. Truly an illness;)

Boy, I have looked in the Plants Files and in Google and have not found several of these. Namely: Guinivere's Kiss, Splashed silk, and Over and Over.
Anyone ever bought from Land Fair Gardens?

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

No, but I just went to look at their site and they appear to be closed. It must be temporary or just for a season since the site is still up. You could email them and inquire.

I was really happy with my recent order from Wild Iris Rows. The iris were a decent sized and I got more than one if the iris was on the small side, plus a very generous amount of bonus. The bonus that I loved best was Blueberry Bliss and it's a big one:) I just emailed another order. Greg will reserve them for you until your check gets to him. He also is great about getting back with you in case something is sold out.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Sorry for the confusion... I don't think Guinivere's Kiss is a rebloomer, it's just one that I picked up at our local sale and hadn't found any info on. (*slaps hands* for going O/T on a thread)

If 'Over and Over' survives, I should have it available in a couple of years... if you can stand to wait... :-)

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

http://davesgarden.com/journal/edit/viewentry.php?rid=93540

Guinevere's Kiss from my journal. But from the Spoon's Winterberry Gardens 2006 catalog, "37" ML ruffled maroon self with self beards tipped mustard deep; velvety sheen; great branching"

Thumbnail by Elizabethtown
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

but it's not a rebloomer for you, right?

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Nope, not a rebloomer. Not even listed in the catalog or in the AIS checklist as a rebloomer.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

It's a beauty, though!

I just planted out a bunch of newly acquired irises, and I found myself grouping most of my new rebloomers together at one end of the bed... made me wonder... Do you folks put reblooming iris in their own section (for maximum impact), or do you scatter them around so that rebloom is a nice surprise here & there in the garden?

Does Wild Iris Rows specialize in rebloomers? I saw another site, called Nola's, that has reblooming irises.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

They don't specialize but rebloomers are noted in the descriptions.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

From looking at the catalogue, I would say Winterberry specializes in re-bloomers. They sure have bunches of them.

Brewster, MA(Zone 6b)

I have Immortality. Should it be re-blooming now?

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Immortality usually reblooms during late Sept/early Oct for me.

Thanks polly

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

You're welcome. Too bad Winterberry doesn't have a web site.

It's my first year ordering from them, but they have good reviews.

I counted the TB rebloomer section as 300, the TB historic rebloomers as 50, Then the intermediates are listed by category, like SDB, but specifies which are rebloomers.

It's also nice that they say what zone they are expected to rebloom in.

There was also a 2 page article in the catalogue about reblooming irises, even getting into the hybridizing of them.

They talk about all season bloomers, such as Midsummers Eve, and Twiggy, that send up bloom stalks each month during warm weather in the more southern states.

They also have a listing for rebloomers by color.

The catalogue says it's 5.00, but I contacted them by email last fall, and they sent out last years catalogue, and then this spring the new one, for no charge.

Oh, by the way, Winterberry is the one that hybridized Daughter of Stars, which is the first picture on this thread.

This message was edited Aug 14, 2007 8:45 AM

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

And you can find no one better to deal with than Ginny and Don Spoon
They are great people
:)
A

so how do we contact them?

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Click on the link to go to their watchdog page and click on the link to send them an email

http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/1420/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.