How much time do you spend mowing?

There are a total of 833 votes:

I have no grass, or almost no grass, so no time at all!
(104 votes, 12%)
Red dot

My property takes less than a half-hour to mow
(93 votes, 11%)
Red dot

I spend about an hour when I mow
(223 votes, 26%)
Red dot

It takes several hours to mow this lawn
(245 votes, 29%)
Red dot

I don't mow, I brush (or bush) hog my property
(14 votes, 1%)
Red dot

I pay someone else to mow it (how long does it take them?)
(103 votes, 12%)
Red dot

Other?
(51 votes, 6%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

The landlord pays for it, one of my few fringe benefits for being a renter.

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

Lawn grass is an invasive weed! I left a strip of grass about 4 ft wide by the curb, the rest of my 1/2 acre is becoming planting beds with walkways between.

Jeremy

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

I chose 'pay someone else'. they send a crew, so it takes them about 15 min. one guy does the mowing while someone else (sometimes 2 guys) trims around the beds and edges. I used to be stubborn about mowing myself because I kind of enjoyed it, but DH pointed out that I could spend the time doing other gardening stuff that I like even more, so I caved in.

Plainfield, NJ(Zone 6b)

It used to take me an hour and a half to mow my 3/4 acre with a ride on mower. The edging, weed whacking, raking, sweeping and blowing rarely got finished before it was time to mow again. I work 7 days a week and 2-3 nights, so the time was precious and scarce. I treated my self to a pro-mow for Mother's Day 3 years ago and haven't started my tractor up since. Manuel and the amigos zip through this yard work in 35 minutes. One mows, ones blows, one edges, one hauls and they are here and gone in 45 minutes. It is such a pleasure to come home to a neat trimmed lawn after a hard days work. Now I have time to weed and plant and enjoy the ever growing beauty of my gardens.

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

I enjoy mowing my lawn - however , I'd love to pay someone to do it so I cn spend more time enjoying it- what ever happened to teens asking if they can mow for you? Maybe when I'm older I'll ask the nieghbor kid if he wants some spending money.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I like to mow, but I also have a small lawn and self propelled mower.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I haven't mowed in 2 yrs. My dad loves to mow so much he won't share the mower. lol. We mow our place which takes about 1 1/2 hr for just under an acre and my grandma's place takes 2 hrs on a zero turn for 5 acres. May be less time than that.

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

I voted 1 hour....mowing is part of my mental therapy. I also have weed-eating therapy, edging therapy, hedge trimming therapy and gardening therapy. I save the tree-limb-trimming therapy for the days that I really feel the need to growl at someone!

No one gets hurt, but the yard looks really good when I'm done!

Sharon

Toledo, OH(Zone 6a)

I live in an apartment, so...

I mostly grow my garden in earth boxes on the patio.

Harrisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Mowing takes about 2 hrs, mainly, because I take it more slowly now(senior and all)LOL. So I voted 'other'.
I, also, do hedge trimming that takes about 3 hrs. I, guess, that is a type of therapy, too, plus the benefits of exercise!

Larry

This message was edited Jul 16, 2007 7:49 AM

Blyth, ON(Zone 5b)

It takes about 2 hours to mow and weed whack our property - mostly because there are a lot of garden beds to mow and weed whack around :-) Slowly but surely I'm reducing our lawn size every year in favour of more gardens. I hope to end up with no more than 1/2 hours mowing work by the time I'm finished.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

My DH mows and it takes about an hour.

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

I only like turfgrass on golf courses. Lawns are very impractical, especially when there are so many other interesting plants to be grown! :-)

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

I love mowing my lawn. I won't let hubby do it because I just like to do it. He does the edging. We have the greenest lawn in the neighborhood, which makes me feel good because I work so hard on it. It really makes my day when a neighbor stops and says "you work so hard on your lawn and it looks so nice". :o)

New Hampshire, NH(Zone 5b)

I'd be happy to replace all the grass with gardens - maybe even a small moss lawn. But DH likes grass and he likes to mow. It takes him about an hour.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Normally it takes my DH about an hour to mow the lawn, but it's going to take longer this time! Our back yard turns into a swamp when it rains, and it hasn't stopped raining long enough to drain enough for him to get back there for a couple of weeks. Yikes! At this point we need a herd of sheep wearing waders to get it under control.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

i have a 72in mower deck on a zero turn lawn mower(landscape style) and it takes me around 3hrs to mow everything!!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

That's a lotta mowing notmartha.

We mow our lawn every other week at home and pay the opposite weeks so we don't wear ourselves too thin. It takes just under an hour but I also bag the grass.
At the cabin I do all the mowing every week, couldn't afford to pay someone to do it as it takes several hours to finish and that is on a riding mower.
I don't mind as it is all just part of being able to be outside.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I answered other because i try to do the mowing which takes about 2 hours working without stopping on a riding mower................then I hire a man to do the weed eating.........it kills my shoulders to hold that heavy thing.........I don't really have grass as such...........live out in the country and have to mow lots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The younger grandchildren always want their parents to take them on a ride on 'Nana's mower'

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

A herd of sheep wearing waders? Wouldn't do much good in parts of eastern England, some gardens need a herd of Manatees . . . they're the only ones able to dive deep enough through the floods!

Resin

Benton, KS(Zone 6a)

Until we get the back portion of the property fenced for a few calves we pull out the brush hog to keep the property under control. We have some friends with kids that like to ride their dirt bikes back there and keeping the grass down helps them. Closer to the house we use the riding lawn mower to get as much as possible....then pull out the push mower and finally the weed eater. Yup....it's a chore.....takes about a day to get through it all but it looks so nice when it's done. But the time it takes isn't because we're slow.....we're actually grooming several acres of property! I can't wait for the calves!!! hahahaha

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

Takes me about 10 minutes with my push mower to do my "patch". Next year it will be garden! I just started doing my neighbors front yard while I'm at it - good exercise! He put in the lawn himself and it is as bumpy as an old mattress - so the push mower does a good enough job. LOL.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

The mowing part of the yard takes about 30 minutes. The larger area takes a tractor/bushhog and I only do that part once a month. Not too bad.

Anyone want to borrow my mower?

Thumbnail by podster
Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

I haven't really timed the DH but I am assuming about 2 hours..maybe less. We have 2 acres although I am doing my part to reduce the grass

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

A herd a manatees! That would be perfect, Resin! Thank you. Now I need to find out how to order one... Do you suppose there are any suppliers listed in the GardenWatchdog yet?

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

Why must we weekly mow the lawn
Regardless of a lack of brawn?
Why not dwarf Kentucky Blue,
Growing just an inch or two?
My fancies are just dreams, alas,
But t'would be such a coup de grass!

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

Don - my yard is zoysia - you are welcome to take plugs before I kill it all next summer. It is as tough as nails, I never water or fertilize it and it can go 2 weeks between mowing. Just d-mail me.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

LOL Don!!! That was great. :-)

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

We have about 3/4 acre of grass and we pay someone to mow it. It takes them about 45 minutes to mow and edge and blow things off.

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

Usually 45 minutes or so...but with this dry weather I have not mowed hardly at all this year. The only people that I see mowing are those that water often. I don't mind not having to mow but I would rather have a thick growing lawn to choke out weeds. Plus I find that a nice green lawn really sets of my garden beds...not this year!

- Brent

Central Valley, CA(Zone 9b)

There is a perfectly useless lawn where I live, the landlord pays someone to mow it, it takes about a half hour. I don't believe in lawns; if I had one, it would be alfalfa, or clover, and I'd have livestock "mowing" it, and bees enjoying it, otherwise:)
I've begun digging up a section that I really hope my landlord doesn't notice, for herbs, fruits, veggies, and such. If the landlord objects, I'll reseed it, but I don't think they'll mind, since my veggie beds have flowers and flowering herbs dotting them, they're actually decorative, and brighten the place up.

Central Valley, CA(Zone 9b)

PS...Donshirer, I loved your poem..
(Smiling over the "Coup de grass.....)

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

I pay a company (2 guys) to manicure the front and side yards. I take care of the backyard cottage garden which has only a small patch of grass. The guys do their work while I'm at work so I really don't know how long it takes. When I used to do the whole yard, it took me about 30 to 45 min to mow and a total of 3hrs per week to trim hedges, edge walkways, mow, and clean up, but I didn't do the job anywhere near as well as the guys do - and they also edge around all beds and foundation and trim the trees in cute shapes, something I didn't have time for. I have plenty of other gardening chores to do, so I don't regret turning the front yard and most of the grass over to them.

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

I have lawn because it is expected, and it was there when I moved in just over a year ago. I'm slowly taking over the green with flower garden, though I never will entirely. A swath of pretty green, unnatural though it may be, is a nice element IMO.

Burlingame, CA(Zone 9a)

I chose Other because my DH mows the lawn. I'm not allowed to touch the mower! It takes him about and hour to mow, edge and clean-up.

Berkeley, CA(Zone 9a)

A lawn instead of plants, flowers, and veggies? Not on my property!

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Quoting:
DH mows the lawn. I'm not allowed to touch the mower
Eat my heart out!

Nice prose Don ~ always look forward to them.

Brigidlily, I agree a swath of green makes the perfect path to walk and admire the herbs and posies.

Waxahachie, TX(Zone 8a)

Well, it usually depends on how many smoke and lemonade breaks I take, but I'm usually out there half the day. It's only an acre, but I'm a perfectionist so it takes longer than it would a normal person. In the spring, I mow with a push mower and bag it all, but nowadays I use the lawn tractor and pick up the wind rows with the push mower. Sometimes, if I'm lucky, I'll have my helper.

Thumbnail by broncbuster
Selma, AL(Zone 8a)

Between Mama's yard and our yard there are about 3 acres, so Charles (Donnie's brother) usually cuts Mama's yard and Donnie cuts ours. Yesterday, Ken, Mama's companion, cut all the grass, not much from no much rain, with the bush hog. I think he just needed an excuse to play with his tractor ( his toy) LOL.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.