AHHHHH... it's finally starting.. What A Joy

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

Well..such beauty..and it's just beginning... I don't know if I can stand all of the beauty this year.. I'll just breathe deeply and take it all in.. Luckly I can't even see it all at one time.. let alone photograph it all together..
here's a few of the vinning ones... as they begin..
This spring I got mother a new Mandivilla... and it's been wonderful for her .. a lovley pink.. but it wasn't available here .. so I looked about and found a double pink... all excited i got it home and then recognised the type as one I'd tried last year... to almost no flowers... disaster... but I uprooted it from the old place the other one was ... and gave it a bit more sun... and it started to bud up nicely... the buds developed for it seems fforever ... and now finally blooms... it shot right up out of it's pook rateing of last year... to a spot near the top... and with piles of buds awaiting their time... A favorite.. already... here she is...
OH YES.. this is ONE BOUG FLOWER.................Gordon

This message was edited Jun 30, 2007 12:14 PM

Thumbnail by GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

OK.. another vine... I'd started a blue picotee morning glory from seeds I got here... and some from seeds I got from Japan... here's the Japaneese Blue picotee morning glories.. just starting to blast away... Gordon

Thumbnail by GordonHawk
Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Nice Pics Gordon hows your Roof Garden this Year? Paul

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

another blue morning glory from Japan... starting now... this one is Keiryu and has a lovely dark color... Gordon

Thumbnail by GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

and another of Keiryu

Thumbnail by GordonHawk
Saint Petersburg, FL

Hey Gordon, Wow, that's stunning(!!) absolutley fabulous, my wife says a must have for us. I can't believe that living down here in Fl.( a mandivilla Meca!) that we've never seen or herd of this fabulous double(!!!) we have every other variety, the pink, the red, the yellow, and even a white. Ok, so where can we get one, where did you get your's, and if you picked it up locally we'll make it worth your while(in trades) to get us one!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We grow lots and lots and lots...of Tropicals and exotics and will trade just about anything for one of those dbl pink Mandivillas!! Also there is a local nursery that specializes in the rare and expensive Plumeria's (could get a list for you) would purchase
one of there's in trade for you and still send some trop's too. We do grow Brug's but so far only the Equidor Pink and Charles Grimaldi, and just got two big cuttings of a lg Dbl White, and I know those are some of the most common brugs. Now I do know someone who collects Brug's and she has a huge flowering White Brug that the flowers are about 18 to 24 inches long(!!!) supposed to be the longest brug bloom of any. ( it's cool!)
Well, let us know, thanks, Happy Gardening, Terry.

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

OK Terry..
i'll look about for you.. what a good reason to visit the high end nurseries again.. If I could only remember which one... I'LL JUST HAVE TO REVISIT ALL OF MY SPRINGTIME HAUNTS..
just before I posted the picture I went looking for it's name... but didn't find it's card.. might be somwhere out there though.. maybe it doesn't do the heat real well is the reason you don;t seee it there... I do know it does like the sun though.. last year it was in a shadier spot and didn't do well at all.. SO in tryng it again.. I gave it my best full sun location.. where it gets sun from 5 AM to 8 PM.. and it has piles of buds now... that had one bud that opened up... I'm awaiting a cluster of maybe 5 buds together to open... I bet it's a pile of doubles the size of a basketball.. when they do flower..I think it was about a $50 item.. in a big pot...standing about 6' tall... when their vines were unwrapped from the silly trellises they wrap them about..
I'll let you know iif I do recover the name... and if I find one it's yours..[ and I'll surely go out to look..] ..get ready.....get a spot cleared for it..
as far as a trade goes...MMMMM oh the Brugs with the 2' long flowers sound great ... but I'm about bruged out now... with perhaps three dozen up and comming.. and a dozen around the edge as it is... and the plumeria are so out of hand here... I can't even get the last few up and through the hatch to the roof garden as it is... and there are a few dozen that have made it to the garden as it is.. my only hope is getting a fungus that eatsss plants.. or a big bag of catapillars.. Gordon
OH..Phil.. the garden is great.. even if a bit overplanted.. but it does prolong the bloom of an area... Pictured here is a climbing rose.. New Dawn.. and old timmey one.. with a lovely big flush of blush pink roses in the spring ... here it is in it's latest flush of blooms...94 by actual count.. and red.. inter species genetic splicing .. no not yet.. it's a single bee balm planted in the planter above it.. and growing through.. in a few weeks the garden will be really kicked into gear here.. we're behind you down there... but will catch up soon,,,Thanks Gordon

This message was edited Jun 30, 2007 8:43 AM

Thumbnail by GordonHawk
Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

Hi Gordon.

As usual your photos are just beautiful. I love the double pink Mandivilla...

Betty

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

Well Hi Betty.. I was missing you being about... I hadn't seen you posting lately... although I read alot and not have much to say .. sometimes.. OH..I was amaised... I had two clumps of the horsetail reed/rush you gave me.. come up for me... I've burried it back in the shade.. as when it came up... before the planting was really started... it saw the sun and withered away... I blocked the sun with a bucket and it came back.. and is now about a foot tall.. I was so amaised it made it... I'm sure yours are three ft tall alrerdy,, now everything is shading it some,, so there are two clumps.. growing nicely and your georgeous peacock fern... I split it in 1/2... and sent 1/2 to the bronx... where it's doing great... I have about a 1/2 " square in a pot that still lives.. but it does still live... and sits by the kitchen sink.. so I can spray it whenever I'm there... [I'd written pray at first... and I'm sure that's what's keeping it alive for me ] but I found one for sale at a nursery here... so I have a pot underneath a Japaneese maple.. that shields most all of it's sun and it's holding it's own.. how's your paradise there... are you getting plenty of rain.. Mother is needing some more where she is.. driest in decades there... All the best... Gordon
oh Betty..post some pictures for us.. lets have a no reply without a picture policy.. especially if it's the piles of hummming birds there.. or your peacock fern...now that one will be more difficult to show to it's spleandor..than the hummers

This message was edited Jun 30, 2007 8:50 AM

This message was edited Jul 1, 2007 11:04 AM

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

Terry... I think this is the item... maybe you can find it easier now you know who does it and it's name... http://www.monrovia.com/MonroviaWeb.nsf/0a83b0ead1fe053a8825716c0073637d/236d87955fa249c68825724200091e02!OpenDocument
Go Get em... Gordon
gee...............zones 2-12..looks like a great one for everyone..OH..that's heat zones ... looks like it spends the winter trellised to the walls of the hallway forme

This message was edited Jun 30, 2007 8:54 AM

This message was edited Jun 30, 2007 8:56 AM

Saint Petersburg, FL

Hey Gordon,
Thanks very much for the Imfo I looked at the Monrovia pic’s and there even nicer than your example(!!) that flower is awesome! We’re not even sure what to
Compare it to…(kinda like a big, but pink, gardenia flower..??) anyway, it’s the coolest flowering vine we’ve seen in a ling while. Now the only problem we have
Is there are no, ( I know this may sound crazy ) no nurseries in central Florida that we’ve come across that stock and sell any Monrovia plants…None!! I don’t know if there just too expensive for most, or if the majority of there stock is so geared to the more Northern states that it’s not worth the costs and effort to bring in??
So I’m back to searching for Monrovia buying friends…( hint hint…) I have on or two trader friends that would oblige but both are in very rural areas and don’t have
many nurseries to choose from and the one’s they do go to have very little to choose from. So, I have a few other ideas to work on, and if you do see one keep
us in mind, I’ll be sending 50bucks and a bunch of cool Trop’s off so fast(!!!!!) Like Zeus throwing a lightning bolt!!! ( Sssssssss Bamb!!!) and it’ll be there!!! LOL!!
Thanks very much for the “Stuff that dreams are made of” Happy Gardening, Terry.

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

OK Terry.. I'll look about for you... yes... my flower picture was the first one open..I'm sure their site had multiple flowers open on theirs.. send me a phone # by D-Mail and when I get it we can talk about how much dirt I should remove before boxing it up to you..
OH a better picture of Blue Picotee.. paradise indeed...Gordon

Thumbnail by GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

OK Terry.. I got it / you got it ... awaken Zeus... [don't know if the younger folks about might not know who he is ] we're ready to pink tango
Paul...here's a better cityscape with the Bee Balm ..speaking of Bees...God..I used to have piles of honey bees .. then they had the massive helicopter west nile spraying... all over the neighborhoods here.[ OH NO IT DOESN"T HURT THE BEES.. it just polutes every flower the next day... now they are quite scarce... one did drop by today though... happy day.. Oh I've plenty of sweat bees...bumblebees..carpenter bees.. OH this beedecline was evident before the last two bee disasters...[starting right after the spraying]... the mite infestations and the leaving the hive behavior of late...
Gordon

Thumbnail by GordonHawk
Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Gorgeous blooms, Gordon! Especially luv the double mandeville! The beebalm looks huge and healthy! What a view you have.
:) Donna

Saint Petersburg, FL

Wow that was fast!!! Awesome, awesome, awesome, I'll D-Mail ya now, and awaken
Zeus!! ( stand back!! he's not as accurate with "bolts"as he used to be ) tanks again.
Terry.

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

Donna.. Well thanks.. yes I love it all myself.. I just water mostly.. I know who to thank for it..
OK Terry...here's what yours looks like.. they had only a smaller one.. but much better for shipping in it's smaller pot.. it's about 2' tall..and has three main stems.. all are budding and one is about to brust into flower..which I imagine it will do after it's out of it's three day night ..in shipping.. SO lets get this ball rolling. this photo is .it it looks like a winnner of a trip to FL. you can see how happy she is...Gordon

Thumbnail by GordonHawk
surfside beach, SC(Zone 8b)

Gordon

You give a new meaning to "A tree grows in Brooklyn"

Your pictures and plants are awesome.

Saint Petersburg, FL

Ok Gordon here's another favorite, just love this blue! Blue Ginger ( a Tradscanthia )

Thumbnail by rose_hip
Saint Petersburg, FL

This Walking Iris has little yellow orchid like flowers, always in bloom and is a garden
staple for us!

Thumbnail by rose_hip
Saint Petersburg, FL

Oh Gordon, check out this large variegated Tradescanthia, new and very cool!

Thumbnail by rose_hip
Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

Babe... guess you'd prefer to be called that for short... rather than scale... well thanks... we're pretty wild growers here... you'd be amaised... stop by for a local tour... and complementary beverage
Terry. HA HA HA great photos... and that blue Ginger ... well enough can't be said about that one.... Gordon
OH.. here's one of my favorite blues for this year... Japaneese picotee MG..

Thumbnail by GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

Well before this thread goes to rest.. I thought I shoud wrap it up for anyone other than Terry and myself who followerd it.. I sent off the plant to Terry.. he said it arrived in great shape.. and was flowering when it was opened...
Teryy now... sent me the cash for the operation... as he had said... now this is were it gets going... he also sent a gigantic box of rooted cuttings/plants.. over a dozen of great unusual many varaigated items... what a guy he is... to say he was delighted.. my .. he must have loved the ease of getting it.. and for doing the service of secureing it for him... as with many of daves folks.. a pleasure... I needed this plant /eago boost...
I 'd had a few set backs of my plant relationships...as I sent out two cuttings last week to ones begging for cuttings for postage... got one reply of arrival... and a promise.. and from the other ...nothing at all.. not even accknoledgement of it's arrival.. and I'd a street planting of a bunch of vines going from a street planter box on strings up the building.. and someone came by and cut the vines and strings down.. about 4" off the ground.. a real set back for giving to the community.. also... but O'l Terry helped restore my joy of giving.... ...what a joy... to help..
Gordon

Saint Petersburg, FL

Hey Gordon,
Thank you very much for the kind words, we do love the plant so much!
But even more we love the fact that you love all the goodies that we sent,
Giving/sharing is half the fun of gardening, especially to someone who
Appreciates it!! Let me know if you have any question about any of the plants
We sent. Thanks again for the wonderful Mandivilla (!!) and going to all the trouble
To help someone out. Thanks again, Happy Gardening, Terry.

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

Terry.. so how did your Tango Twirl do.. that flower I postd first you saw ...was the last flower I had on it... although the leaves were well developed and the vine long and climbing.. Everything else has beeen flowring explosively.. but now Tango Twirl has set it's second flower.. this is the same behavior I had on that type of mandy last year... and I had bought this not recalling the one that was so bad... and I had such hopes with it's early first flower....
write back Terry.. and tell me yours was a knockout all summer long.. and the poor thing works somewhere... here's it's new bud... can you believe it.. Gordon
most everything you sent... is being a joy... and is adapting nicely.. Thanks
Gordon

This message was edited Sep 16, 2007 10:56 AM

Thumbnail by GordonHawk
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Oh my! That mandevilla is GORGEOUS .. If it ever sets seeds and you want to share PLEASE let me know!!!

X

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.