Indoor Plant Census

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

This has been the subject of interesting discussion on another forum...

How many houseplants do you have??? This would include plants you place outside for the summer, but must come in during colder weather. If you are brave enough, give us a list!

I'll start... Now keep in mind I live in an apartment, but I have alot of window space and great light now. Most everything does summer out on my 8x12 balcony, and this list only includes those plants that I will definitely bring in and "save" by keeping indoors. This list does not include summer bulbs that can be lifted and stored, pots of annuals, or the few potted perennials that winter over on the balcony. Also if I count (1) of something, it could be a whole pot of it. Also doesn't include cuttings, seedlings, etc... just established plants.

10 Phalaenopsis orchids, 9 episcias, 7 Maidenhair ferns, 6 african violets, 4 spider plants, 4 peace lilies, 4 Crown of Thorns, 4 Sinningia, 3 Begonias, 3 Philodendron, 3 Gloxinia, 3 Plumeria, 2 Oxalis, 2 Boston ferns, 2 Maranta, 2 Baby's Tears, 2 pitcher plants, 2 calathea, 2 monsteras, 2 streptocarpella, 2 Ginkgo bonsai, 1 China Doll bonsai, 1 Fukien Tea bonsai, 1 jade, 1 succulent mixed bowl, 3 other unidentified succulents, 1 pony tail palm, 1 schefflera, 1 chenille plant, 1 heart-leaf ivy, 1 rabbit's foot fern, 1 gardenia, 1 purple passion plant, 1 HB with 3 types wandering jew, 1 plectranthus, 1 alsobia, 1 tree philodendron, 1 mixed elephant ears, 1 plumosa ferm, 1 asparagus fern, 1 oncidium orchid, 1 jewel orchid, 1 desert rose, 1 staghorn fern, 1 heart fern, 1 Night-blooming Cereus, 1 Patchouli, 1 Skyflower, 1 Rain Tree, 1 Mother of Thousands, 1 brugmansia, 1 norflok island pine, 1 christmas cactus, and 1 tillandsia wreath.

Whew!!! Next???

(Zone 1)

Oh My Goodness .... You do have quite a collection don't you Va_Wild_Rose?! I can't begin to imagine how many plants I have .. it will take me so long to do inventory that I will have to wait for another day! I'm doing yard work today. Just finished mowing, edging and sweeping the front and came in for a lunch break ... now I'm off to do the backyard. Maybe next week I will take inventory of my plants! ...... Scary Thought as to how many I have!

Harrisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

I counted 112, now I could be off 1 or 2.LOL Amazing and as you stated you did not count everything. How do you have the time to take care of so many? 8>) I have about 25 and that is more than enough!!

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Last count I had around 500 potted plants so I don't keep an inventory. I need to get rid of a bunch of them one of these days.

I just counted 215. That is counting each terrarium as only 1, any pots that have multiple types of plants as 1, basically, that's how many pots or containers I have. LOL I did not however, make a list of all the types or how many of each type. I'll do that soon and let you know. :o)

The Heart of Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

Well, I kinda took a count... but I kept getting interrupted and loosing my place so here's what I came up with:
2 Phalaenopsis orchids
2 huge Cymbidiums Orchids
8 shelves X 15 Av's and gessies per shelf= 120
2 full size tubs of Av's 15 each =30
50 or so Terrariums w/plants
1 Variegated pothos ivy
3 streptocarpella's
1Codonanthe
1Lipstick
1 Pink Princess Philo
2 Red Queen Philo
1 unknow Philo

100 various houseplants outdoors....

So I'm guessing about 300 total give or take a few....

Not too bad for a small garden...

MsC

Right now it is difficult to take the time needed and give them all the attention they need, as they have been renovating the apt buildings in the complex where I live... so my plants have gone in and out, and in and out, and in again off the balcony! Nerve-racking, inconvenient, and just plain painful for someone with a back injury.

Last night, hubby and I brought EVERY SINGLE THING in, one more time, to include the indoor/outdoor carpet this time! They are doing the final painting of the outside of our building, to include the balconies, and should be done by tomorrow (I pray!) My living room looks like some kind of horticultural disaster area!

I will be so glad to have everything back in place. Quite honestly, I have lost a good number of plants this summer already, due to having to move stuff around and in, and then the plants doing without sunlight, lack of regular water 'cause I can't reach something, or being drafted by AC, etc...

I love my plants though... and it is so rewarding to have them all around me, when everything is in it's place! LOL!!!

Yes, I love my plants around me too...kinda like a private jungle..

Be sure & show us a pic whne you get them all settled after the painting is done..

MsC

Thank you... I will. I plan on doing a little "before and after" with photos...

(Zone 1)

One day next week I will get a legal pad and take inventory!

Lin,
You have a beautiful bunch of plants.. you should just post all of them in pictures...my treasures you sent are doing fabulously!

Thanks
MsC

(Zone 1)

Oh, MsC ... I'm so glad everything is doing well for you. Yeah, it would be soooo much easier to just post photo's instead of trying to make a list and count everything! But, it would be kinda neat to see in writing exactly what I have .... probably a bit of a shock too .... but fun!

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

As of today:

Amaryllis (9 currently)
Christmas Cactus
Cyclamen
Dendrobiums
Equitant Oncidiums
Nepenthes Pitcher plants
Nerve plant
Nun's Orchid (Phaius tankervilliae)
Oak leaf Ivy (Cissus Rhombifolia "Ellen Danica")
Oncidiums
Paph orchid
Philodendron "Moonlight"
Poinsettia
Sheffelera
Snake plant
Sundew D. Adelae
Sundew d. Carpensis
Tillandsia (various)
Thanksgiving Cactus
Vriesea "Annie"
ZZ plant

Subject to change without notice!

Tom

Tom,
You grow one of my favorites ....Nun's Orchid (Phaius tankervilliae)
I love them but can't keep em alive to save my self...

I agree it's alsways subject to change...plus one or more...lol

MsC

At least 200 give or take, get some, lose some

Some succulents(most have no names) 3 large jade trees, large crown of thorns
Sans
Cane begonia
rhizo begonia
hoya
spiders
dracaenas
syngoniums
philos
pothos

etc

DC metro, VA(Zone 7b)

*cough* MsC, did you say FIFTY terrarium type things? lol......

Uhmm... yes I did say 50... there might be a few more but they aren't all planted, yet...that's not counting the empty ones...lol

Hey everybody has to have a wee lil addiction..:)

MsC

DC metro, VA(Zone 7b)

Quoting:
Hey everybody has to have a wee lil addiction..:)

yeah, just ask me about the number of seed/starter pots I have.... lol.

You are the MASTER of the seeds!

MsC

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

It just so happens that I did an inventory of my plants about 3 months ago. I took down the names by location, i.e. plants in bedrooms, living room, e.t.c. I too live in an apartment, but have plenty of space and good lighting. So, last inventory was 155 plants. I don't know how many I've purchased or gotten in trade since then, so that figure has gone up some and I've probably lost a couple too. Okay, here goes:

Phals 4
Paphs 3
1 Oncidium('Sharry Baby Sweet Fragrance')
1 Oncidium Alliance hybrid
1 Zygopetalum('Jumping Jack Big Beans')
1 Mini Catt (Apple Blossom(?)
Amaryllis(9 varieties)
AVs(9 and only 2 are named!)
Alsobia(1)
Episcias(12- includes cuttings)
Columnea(2)
Nematanthus(2)
Aeschynanthus(1)
Begonias(12- rhizos, rexes, canes)
Philos(28)
Amorphophallus Konjac(4 or 5 bulbils)
Pregnant Onion
Aglaonema(2)
Anthuriums(2)
Dieffenbachias(4)
Monstera(2)
Syngonium(5)
Epipremnum(4)
Homalomena(1)
Spathiphyllum(2)
Hoya(8)
Tradescantia(8)
Ferns(3)
Sansevieria(18)
Maranta(2)
Orchid Cacti(3)
Schlumbergera(11?)
Easter cactus(1)
Jasmine(1)
Peperomia(5)
Plectranthus(1)
Cliva(1)
Dracaena(1)
Chlorophytum(4)
ZZ Plant
Oxalis(2)
A small collection of C and S

Wow, it was exhausting to even write the short form! I'm sure I forgot someone. LOL

GH
Edited once again after looking at cjolene's list and seeing that she listed a plant I have but forgot to mention! LOL

This message was edited Jun 28, 2007 8:21 PM

This message was edited Jun 28, 2007 9:35 PM

Isn't this FUN??? It lets me know that there isn't "something wrong with me"...

It's like being known as the "cat lady" across the hall, or down the street, or whatever! Except we're all known as "the plant people"!

LOL!

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

LOL! Exactly- we're known as the plant people! I had someone from my old job email me today at my new job asking about what's wrong with her Jade plant!!!! OMG!!!! LOL Talk about a surprise? Ha! I hope I can help her....I remember how much she adored that Jade plant.

GH

Yes... I also, am the go-to person at work... too funny!

(Zone 1)

hee hee ... I am also known as the Cat Lady ... we had 5 but are now down to 4. And, I used to be known at the University where hubby teaches as The Cookie Lady because I used to bake cookies for our Basketball team, the Cheer Leaders, The Pep Band, Fans at the games and also for hubby's students! One time we flew to Denver with the team for a tournament and one of our players said the plane couldn't take off unless cookies were on board. I baked for 4 days and took shopping bags full of cookies - 72 dozen! to be exact! The pilots heard the BB Players talking about cookies and they wanted some too. They were a big hit! Alas, that was before 9/11 and now Security is so tight that you cannot take any food or drink through the security gates .... you have to buy food and drink after you get to the gate area. The past couple of years our teams have been eating healthier and I don't bake for them as much, but still during the season bake cookies/brownies for the band, cheerleaders and a few fans!

So, I guess you can call me Plantladylin, Cookieladylin, or Catladylin!!

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

202 and 11 av leaves down (some are noids).

I'm really not sure if I could write them all down like you all have been doing, but I'll give it a shot-

Spider plant
begonias (5)
oxalis (3)
Rhoeo Spathacea 'Variegata'
Christmas cactus
Thanksgiving cactus (4)
dracaena (2)
av babies- noid (14)
named avs- including duplicates (16)
noid avs- including duplicates (11)
chimera
episcias (13) and babies (24)
other gessies (22)
string of pearls
tillandsia (4)
bromelaid
pothos 'Marble Queen'
variegated wandering jew
nerve plant (2)
satin pothos
ceropegia woodii
phal orchid 'Uniwai Blush'
rubber tree (3)
cacti (7)
succulents (23)
philos (3)
peperomias (2)
hoyas (3)
shrimp plant
prayer plant
cissus (2)
terrestrial orchid
alocasia
syngonium (3)
azalea
can't remember the name of this plant...it'll come to me...
stromanthe 'Tricolor'
baby tears
calathea (2)
wandering jew (3)
yucca (2)
mandevilla
pineapple
orchid cactus (3)
turtle vine
scilla pauciflora
brugmansia 'Frosty Pink'
asperagus fern
preg onion

North Augusta, ON

I was reading this thread to Hubby and he just had to get up and count....115.....he came back with such a shocked look on his face I didn't have the heart to tell him about the dozens of seeds I have germinating and the plants due to arrive in the mail.....and the ones I'll probably pick up this weekend...hehehe...he notices all the plants I have, just never struck him how many til he counted...poor man :)

edited to add the dozen or so Mom is holding for me until I can blend them in.....

This message was edited Jun 28, 2007 10:27 PM

Too funny!!! I can see the look on his face now! LOL!

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

Mscritterkeeper,
Mine grows in a west bedroom window. Soil is kept moist. Fed every 3-4 weeks with half strength miracle grow.

Phelan, CA(Zone 8b)

I have a little over 100 house plants, and a cactus garden ( with about 20 cacti ), a small iris area, and my "desert garden" in front of my house. Its about 40'X8.'

The inside plants consist of:

Several philos (including Prince of Orange, Black Cardinal, Moonlight and Autumn)
Several Syngoniums (including Neon Tetra, Plum Allusion & French Marble)
ZZ plant
3 spiders (common spider, Bonnie and Fireflash)
Pony Tail Palm
Two plumeria
wax begonias (bronze and green leaf - yes, they are inside!)
Six Rex Begonias (Tornado, Savannah Pink, Iron Cross, Albuquerque Midnight Sky, Capricorn)
Two gasterias, among several other succulents
Several pothos
Yellow mandevilla
Nepenthes
several crotons (including Mrs. Iceton)
several airplants
a few scillas
Neanthe palm
a few draceanas
Flame sword bromeliad
Azalea
hibiscus
several hoya
goldfish plant
Maranta
lipstick plant
three calatheas
variegated benji ficus
variegated pumila ficus
epiphyllium
jasmine
variegated shrimp plant
boston fern
Oh. . . and about 40 assorted orchids

Whew! Had to jump up from my seat about 50 times to cover them all!

Phelan, CA(Zone 8b)

Forgot about my two Christmas Cactus and two Sanseveria! (Knew I'd forget something!)

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Christmas cactus
unknown houseplant that we have had over 20 yrs
spider plant
jasmine
african violet
some kind of varigated palm
wandering jew- 3 or 4 diff ones in one pot
amarylis
haworthia
vine rooting in water
aloe
Had pencil tree and starr cactus but those just up and died on me awhile back.

That's it. One of each.

(Zone 1)

Oh Pepper, you should post a photo of your unknown plant of over 20 years ... I know someone on here could ID it for you! And, I would love to see a pic of your variegated Palm Tree ... I've never heard of a variegated palm! I bet it's really neat!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I will try to remember to get pics tomorrow. Depends on whether my dad has the camera or not. lol.

(Zone 1)

Look forward to seeing them!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.