Lipstick plant rooting from cutting?

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Hi- I got my oil changed yesterday-bear with me, this is getting to a plant- This place had gorgeous plants all over, surprisingly. Anyway. I asked for a piece from a hanging basket which looks just like the Lispstick plant Crispa in plantfiles. It's in water, two pieces of vine with about three sets of leaves each. Keep it in water, put in soil or...? Easy or hard?

The Heart of Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

Fairly easy plant to grow... not too much water...I'd root it in moist seed starting mix or spaghnum moss...I wouldn't try rooting it in water, but who knows you might be able to do one that way...

MsC

(Zone 1)

I got some Lipstick plant cuttings in a trade a month or so ago .... I decided to root a couple of pieces in soil and one piece I put in water .... it has roots also, but I'm gonna plant it up in potting soil today. I'm afraid if I leave it in water too long, it won't survive when I pot it up ... very fine watery roots.

Thanks. I'll see how it's doing and switch to soil.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Sallyg, I too love this beautiful vine, year before last I purchased a basket. It did wonderful for me outdoor in shaded area. Overwintered them and they suffered some fungal attack, the vines were badly damged. So I went a purchased a new one. I treated the old one, and it's coming around. :-)
They're making flowers buds as we speak. As far as rooting them, I'm surprized that it even root in the water, since I afraid to do that due to its "semi-succulent" in nature? Lin; but if you've success doing that I'll try some and see how it turns out.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

A better pics. of last year's performance....

Thumbnail by Lily_love

some lovely hanging plants there--as well as I can see some nice gardens in the background too!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thank you, Sally. Noticed when you keep this outdoors. Keep them in indirect sun, they will bloom just fine. Wherever, you can grow Impatient well. This will do well too. Too much direct sunlight will scrotch the leave-margin. Indoors? Not sure if they would get sufficient light source to bloom well for us.

Phelan, CA(Zone 8b)

Oh my, what a lovely plant, Lily Love! Its just huge, and so many beautiful red blooms.

Randi

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Randi;
On Valentine, instead of Roses, try to give this vine to your sweetheart. She'd love it. :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.