Japanese Iris in Massachusetts

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Sunday is the Japanese iris show for our local iris society and I promised to bring some. I hope I have some new stalks for a clean bloom. I'm in peak now of course!

Close up of DBP.

Thumbnail by boojum

Ocean Mist.

Thumbnail by boojum
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Boojum, I hope you post pictures of the arrangement that you are doing with the JI as well as anything that you snap at the show. Your pictures are always stunning. I have just had a couple of them bloom so far. Here is one starting to open 'dirigo cloud nine' It was a lot bluer than I thought it was going to be. Good luck with the show. I wish I had felt well enough to drive up. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd

I wish you felt well, period. How are you now? Nice one there!

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

boojum, those are wonderful. I can not grow Japanese Iris to save my soul. I think my ground has too much lime to their taste. (I have limestone out croppings all over the place).

Please keep posting pictures of yours...

Will do!

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Boojum, you have Dave mail.
Good Luck at your iris show with your arrangement. That would be a treat to behold.

Maxine

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Great photos, boojum! Beautiful flowers.

Thanks, Pirl. Means a lot to get compliments from you.

I'm the one in awe of your gardens!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd say it's mutual admiration, Pirl!

So for my contributions at the JI show:
Dirigo Blue Plate-3rd place
Nikko-2nd
Vermillion Sunset-2nd
Rose Queen-3rd
Prairie's Edge-2nd
Prairie Twilight- Honorable Mention
Prairie Glory-1st
Chilled Wine (sib rebloom)-1st
China Spring (sib cross rebloom)-1st and 3rd runner up for Best in Show.
Arrangement-2nd place.

Heavenly Reflection won BinS.
1st Runner Up-Nikko in the Youth Division
2nd RU-Ole Man River
3rd RU-China Spring
Best seedling-Andrew Wheeler seedling

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Way to go girl. But for me it is the pleasure in the garden that counts the most. And your garden is pleasure at its very best. Grand Prize for sure. Patti

Hurray for Boojum! You must be thrilled. Congratulations.

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Ahem, pictures please. :)

I second that!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Pictures yes!

And many congrats.

Ripley, MS

I would also love to see some pictures of the winners--great job
Congrats
Sandra

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

So I want to see the reluctant arrangement that won a 2nd prize. Patti

can you believe I was too busy setting up, getting lunch, selling irises, cleaning up and educating the public that I didn't have time to take pics? Okay, so you don't buy that. So I forgot my camera dashing out the door being slightly hysterical that they would get murdered on the drive...and I called my DBF to bring it and he did but without the card in it!!!
Luckily for Patti, I took a pic yesterday of my first ever arrangement.

Thumbnail by boojum

So very elegant!

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Boojum, you are such a talent. Did you take any of those rocks from your rock circle? The vase is great. Is it a drilled rock or ceramic? Dear D is in the dog house for forgetting the card. Which Iris? Too gorgeous. Feeling better today. Here is a new kid, but I think it is not what I thought it was. Could it be 'Oriental Eyes' ? Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Ripley, MS

That is a wonderful arrangement, you should have gotten 1st place for that.
Sandra

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Very nice. I cannot do stuff like that. I don't have the eye for it or the patience. I'm so glad you can and then we can all appreciate yours! :) (and the effort that went into creating it!)

Thanks for your support, Pirl, Sandra, Ticker, and Patti! I really didn't mind getting second, but you are definitely making me feel great with your comments.

The larger rocks were from my rock circle, Patti. The smaller rocks were mostly collected in Maine long ago and live in a pottery bowl. The rock vase has a drilled hole and the base it sits in is ceramic. The iris is Dirigo Blue Plate. Glad you are feeling better! That does look like Oriental Eyes! Nice one.

We gave a bunch of the irises to a nursing home but I took a few home that I liked for their more species form or their intense colors.

Thumbnail by boojum
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Make sure you put those big ones back in the rock circle.(that should be their forever home). That was a neat arrangement of special elements that you already had. Thanks for the ID. I had planted a Oriental eyes, but I thought I had planted it somewhere else. . That big one from the ones that didn't make it to the NH looks more like a TBI, Blueberry blish than an ensata. What was it? Off to bed, tired. Patti

The rocks went right back, Patti! The ones in the vase are a spuria hybrid (yellow), some ensatas and a Louisiana in front. Don't know any names.

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

Most excellent arrangement, Boojum.

Quoting:
Very nice. I cannot do stuff like that. I don't have the eye for it or the patience.

Don't be so sure, Ticker. Remember that arrangement I posted on the perennial forum ( http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/737735/ )? Honest, it just happened that way.

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Nah, I still couldn't do it. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.