Tree seed wish list

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Soon it will be time to start the yearly trek of gathering seed. I know I and others come across a lot of trees, but unless it one I am particulary gathering I usually pas s them by.

Thought it might be nice to start a thread wher e folks who are lookign for particular seeds or have ones on their wish list could start posting so that when those trees are spotted the seed could be gathered for ya.

So what ya wishing for?

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

This is a great idea! And of course, shrub seed would be included. So what are you looking for, Starlight?

I found a local source of Carpinus caroliniana, and I know I am kind of picky, but I still want wild seed of:

Dirca palustris (Leatherwood) - upper midwest seed source
Gaylussacia baccata (Huckleberry) - upper midwest seed source
Viburnum rafinesquianum (Downy Arrowood) - upper midwest seed source

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

There's a few US conifers I'd be interested in cones (preferably verified wild origin) for my herbarium, if anyone can get them - ones that spring to mind are Abies amabilis, Abies balsamea, Abies bracteata, Juniperus virginiana subsp. silicicola, Larix occidentalis, Pinus albicaulis, Pinus clausa, Pinus glabra, Pinus pungens, Pinus resinosa, Pinus serotina, Taxus canadensis, Taxus floridana, Torreya taxifolia.

Can get seeds of various UK/European trees & shrubs, provided they are species that the USDA will let you import.

Resin

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

I'm looking for more Mexican Buckeye seeds. Sorry forget it's scientific name off hand and no tiem to google. Other than that, I neve r know I want somethign til I look at all the photo's folks start posting and then the wish lists start.

Leftwood... was doe s upper midwest mean? We don't have alot but do have a few wild Huckleberry trees down here. Don't know if they the exact one s ya looking for.

Resin.... Will ad d Pinus clausa and Pinus glabra to my list of collecting. Already gonan be watchign to collect those and a few other pines for some Dg folks.

Quoting:
Sorry forget it's scientific name off hand

Ungnadia speciosa
Quoting:
Will add Pinus clausa and Pinus glabra to my list of collecting

Super, thanks!

Resin

Orwell, VT

Hello Resin,

I can supply you with Pinus resinosa.

And to all others I will happily collect anything I come across while I collect for our local native plant nursery. I'm most interested in visiting oak species when gathering but will happily collect from a host of species.

David

Upper midwest = Minnesota, Wisconsin, Upper Michigan, North Dakota, South Dakota, Iowa, northern Illinois.

Starlight, Huckleberry trees? Oh my gosh! No, these are low bushes, like blueberries.

Resin, what would be the time to collect Abies balsamea? Can I wait until the cone has a bit of brown on it, or would I need to collect it completely green so it doesn't shatter? Hopefully, I'd be able to gather wild cones of that, P. resinosa and possibly Taxus canadensis, all from northern Minnesota.

Quoting:
I can supply you with Pinus resinosa

Super, thanks!
Quoting:
what would be the time to collect Abies balsamea?

Also, thanks! While they're still green (well, purple!) so they don't shatter. Soaking in alcohol or glycerol before sending also helps, if that's feasible (it's how I keep Abies cones permanently).

Resin

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

I have Juniperus virginiana subsp. silicicola everywhere here. I have never even looked for the seeds.

Quoting:
Juniperus virginiana subsp. silicicola

Thanks!!

Resin

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

Resin, which month would I most likely find mature seeds on them (Juniper)?

I'd guess late September or October, but don't know for certain.

Resin

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

I know this list is huge, and some of these are so rare it is not funny but this is the dream list of seeds I am looking for. Several of these are rare here but all native to my area. I really dont care if these are wild or garden sources just dreaming here trying to help several local public gardens get better trees then the bradfords they want to plant....

I am looking for -
Quercus beaumontiana,
Quercus burnetensis,
Quercus carmenensis,
Quercus chihuahuensis,
Quercus depressipes,
Quercus glaucoides,
Quercus graciliformis,
Quercus guadalupensis,
Quercus hinckleyi,
Quercus intricata,
Quercus robusta,
Quercus tardifolia,
Quercus vaseyana
Quercus arizonica
Quercus arkansana
Quercus beadlei
Quercus buckleyi
Quercus bushii
Quercus caduca
Quercus capesii
Quercus drummondii
Quercus emoryi
Quercus falcata
Quercus fusiformis
Quercus gambelii
Quercus havardii
Quercus hemisphaerica
Quercus incana
Quercus lyrata
Quercus marilandica
Quercus mohriana
Quercus muehlenbergii
Quercus oblongifolia
Quercus rugosa
Quercus shumardii
Quercus toumeyi

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Mitch... What a list and lots of Oak that I neve r even kne w existed. When I get some time gona google that list to se e what thos e ohe r trees are.

The only one s i know of that I can try and collect from are Q. muehlenbergi, Q marilamdica, Q. lyrata, Q incana and Q shumardii.

if we don't get some rain her e and soon, not gonan be anythign to collect from. I dug a hole thre e feet deep the other day and it so bone dry. The nuts of f my Hickories , especially pecans and Oaks are fallign off the trees all green. Hate to see them fall offf , but woudl hate to se e thes e trees die. Usually all ya have to do is grab a bag and scrub aroudn on yoru hand s and knees pickign up nuts off the ground there so many. Thsi year got a feeling it gonan be climbing up into the trees to find them before the squirrels do a s they losing ther e food too.

I know what it was I wanted. A couple of Kentucky Coffee Tre e seeds. The few I have found are way to yougn to produce and I tried to root a couple of cutting s, but they didn't take. So if anybody gets a couple of them to share would appreciate it.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Thanks Starlight, I have the other problem here... I have had to move my seeling pots to high ground and there is flooding near me already. Too much rain too fast.

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Mitch.. Oh boy, I feel for you and all them other Texas and Oklahoma folks going under water. hmmmmmmmmm .... Wonder if I got enough Pvc pipe inthe backyard that could strech from her e to there and ya could just let it all flow this away. : )

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

lol - I wish..

The old timers have told us for the last two years of drought that the olny way to break the droughts we get ever 50 or so years is a flood... well we got the flood.

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

Mitch, I know that you are looking for seed, but have you tried contacting the Texas Forest Service? There are two regional state tree nurseries that sell seedlings depending on the region you live in. I believe your county is included in the West Texas Nursery county list. The first link will take you to the Texas Forest Service. The second link will take you to the two nurseries. The third link will take you to a tree selector.

http://txforestservice.tamu.edu/main/default.aspx
http://texastreeplanting.tamu.edu/ExpressSelector.aspx
http://txforestservice.tamu.edu/main/article.aspx?id=1165

One thing to consider is Oak Wilt. It appears to be present in your area. You need to find out how long since a case of oak wilt has been reported in your area. I've read that oaks may be planted with some degree of safety if no new cases have been reported. I just don't remember what that time period is.

I noticed that your list contains red oaks. Red oaks are very susceptible to oak wilt. They would be trees to avoid. White oaks will get is also, but they are not as susceptible and take longer to die. This last link show where oak wilt was found as of 2003

http://sickplants.tamu.edu/oakWiltFAQ-Ident.asp?menuName=oakInfo

Consider looking through the tree selector and looking for trees that aren't as likely to cause oak wilt problems in the future. Do you know why the city wants to plant Bradford pears? If the city wants flowering trees, you might suggest a better choice.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

They want bradford pears just to be quick growing... I am looking for the long term.

Red Oaks are a must - I know about Oak Wilt, but the park is in Red Oak, and several trees will be planted in or near Red Oak Hill. I am going to try at least.

Thanks for the help - will keep looking Mitch

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

Quoting:
Red Oaks are a must - I know about Oak Wilt, but the park is in Red Oak, and several trees will be planted in or near Red Oak Hill. I am going to try at least.

Make sure to space them widely apart, so hopefully the oak wilt couldn't spread via the roots (if in the area).

Fair Grove, MO(Zone 6b)

I would like to have seeds or something of Kerria Japonica 'Pleniflora" this shrub is sooo pretty in bloom. The late freeze got the one I planted last year.

Quoting:
I would like to have seeds or something of Kerria japonica 'Pleniflora" this shrub is sooo pretty in bloom. The late freeze got the one I planted last year.

That would need to be cuttings, as it doesn't come true from seed (actually, it is sterile and doesn't even produce any seeds). Personally, I think the normal wild-type single Kerria japonica is much nicer ;-)

Resin

Starlight, I do have many Kentucky Coffee tree seeds from last season, ready to go. They are from my tree, grown from seed from a local tree (but not a wild one). Who knows where that original tree came from. However, If you could find a seed source from farther south, I would think that would be better. But, if you'd like some of mine, send me a D-mail.

Fair Grove, MO(Zone 6b)

Resin
Is the "Pleniflora" the double blooms? I discussed this with another gardener and she said that the "Pleniflora" was miss-labeled where I bought mine. Please straighten me out. I want the one with double blooms.

Peggy

Fair Grove, MO(Zone 6b)

My shrub list is getting longer but the ones I really want today are, this list may change tomorrow.

Blue Muffin Viburnum ?
Caryopteris
Mountain Laurel
Daphne

Trees
Harry Lauder walking stick

I don't know which ones have seeds and which ones I want cuttings of, I think I need cuttings of the walking stick.

Quoting:
Is the "Pleniflora" the double blooms?

Yep. Watch out, the flowers are rather messy-looking, the single ones are much neater and better-looking.

Resin

I must agree with Resin about the messy looking vs. better looking comment.

Fair Grove, MO(Zone 6b)

I will try to check out both of them. Thanks

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Leftwood. Thanks you for the offer. Will dmail . Also is this the one s you wanted.
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/742361/

Dilancgc. I know where the Mountain Laurel is around here but will have to check, the seed s may all ready be gone as it was flowering way early this year, but will check.

Manning, SC(Zone 8a)

I've just discovered the Lilac Chaste Tree. A neighbor has a large one growing in her front yard, and I thought it was a buddleia for a while, til I took a closer look. It's so pretty!!! Does anyone have experience growing it from seed? Is it difficult, would I be better off finding a nursery that has the tree?

Fair Grove, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks Starlight, I believe we had this discussion earlier in the year about you getting me seeds. I am still looking now.

rhinelander, WI(Zone 4a)

jack pine seeds , the squirrels
got most of the acorns, lately
tried planting a pot inside an
old bird cage. jaws

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Jimwil.... LOL.. Sure hope the bird cage works. If it does may try that myself. Lots cheaper and eaier finding old one s at the fle amarket to use than trying to cut and twist and make cage s from chicken fenching.

Wil have to hunt up the scientific name. Neve r heard of Jack Pine before.

Quoting:
Never heard of Jack Pine before

Pinus banksiana. A subarctic tree, from a loo-o-o-o-ong way north of Alabama!

Resin

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Oh dear!!!!!!!! While the idea of visiting a subartic climate right now sounds great with the heatwave going on, I just know as soon as I got there I would be a mass of goosebumbs and shivers and longing for warmth again. Also, while I am adventurous that a just a tad... just a tad... to bit far for me I am afraid.

Sure hope somebody else can fidn them for ya Jimwil22.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

They sure look good.. but no such tree down here.

Sorry - I keep looking for when I can help someone on here with some seeds too...

rhinelander, WI(Zone 4a)

the old bird cage is working, got jack pine and swamp chestnut oak to
seedling stage, maybe i can find some cheap animal cages that someone
threw away, those squirrels have an intense sense of smell ! jaws

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

Hey Jaws, good to see you here!

1" chicken wire works great for protecting small trees and shrubs from the "critters". Just make sure you use tall enough CW so it will stay above the snow line in the winter (I've lost a few plants due to the bunnies walking across the snow and munching on the tops of the plants - used 24" CW, which is WAY to short.)

I actually have a garden of fencing with plants thrown in as an accent. (:o)
Mike

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I have some Wintersweet Shrub seeds (Chimonanthus Preacox) from last summer. I have had this shrub for about 7-8 years. It was about 12" tall when I got it--grown from seed. Took about 4 more years before it bloomed. It is a L-O-N-G wait!

This year there won't be too many seeds to gather. We had this weird warm winter (January) when all kinds of blooms popped out too early. Fruit trees, Cherry Trees and Magnolias, and then a lot of cold weather and frost later that killed all the flowers.

Please D-mail me if you are interested. These seeds are very large. About the size of a black oiler sunflower seed.

Gita

Here's a picture of the shrub in full leaf.

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Here are the seeds just picked from the pods.

Edited to say I have posted a lot of pictures of this Shrub in the Plant Files.

This message was edited Jul 16, 2007 6:34 PM

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.