Tree seed wish list

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

I'd like to have either of these: Quercus muehlennbergii or Fagus grandifolia.

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Gita... What a nice looking shrub. Never heard of it so I gooled and it says it has a really wondeful fragrance. Something pretty to sniff early in the season.

Escambia... I have about 50 of the Fagus grandiflora seed s iif you want to giv ethem a try. I gathere d them up when they droppe d this past season and they been in a baggy in the fridge ever since. Supposedly the seed s good for a year. Nevr got aroudn to trying to germinate any cuz the seed coat looke d tough as nails. Your welcome to give them a try if ya want, and maybe somebody els e wil have some more seeds too or I can collect some more this year. Thes e came off a big old, huge tree.

Got the leaf in the bag too. Here a pic I took of them this morning and they back in the fridge.

Thumbnail by starlight1153
Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

Starlight, if you get any fresh ones this year I'd feel safer trying those. I think they're like acorns, ya gotta plant them as soon as they fall. I tried some last year that I bought, but I don't think they had a long enough dormancy period. I think the sink test works for beech nuts. If they sink they will be viable, if they float they are no good.

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Escambi... Ok I can do that. : ) Will be a few month syet probably for the fresh seed ready, but wil grba ya up a bagy full. They just get racked and trashed where they at.

Got it added to my don't forget to collect list. : )

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Starlight,

Yes, the Wintersweet bloom is very fragrant, but you almost have to stick your nose in it to smell it. However, if the whole bush is in bloom, you can smell it from several feet away.

The bloom is tiny and right on the stems of the shrub. Seems there are several types of this bush as I found out when I went to PF to check out the ones posted there.

Here's my bush in bloom this Spring. As you can see, it is a deciduous shrub.

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Here's a real close up of some blooms. They are barely 12"-3/4" across.

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Escambi... I think you are right. Since I gonan collect ya fresh ones from the tree I decided to give your theory a test. I dumpe d them all in a Mason jar of water. One sunk to the bottom. It now 2 hour s later, which think is what I read how long to soak them and stil only that one sittign at the bottom.

rea d on oen of the site s wher tryign to get viable seed from this tre e is not easy, so will grab ya several baggies full to try.

Gitagal. That is really beautiful and delicate looking. Thanks for sharing your photo. : )

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

I am bringing this back up since what trees survived the abnormal heat and drought down here this year are ready. tree and shrub seed from the south gonna be in limited quanities from the weather and everybody gonan be doin mass scramble s for them, so if ya need something for me to keep my eye open for ya if it grows aroudn here, ya better speak now.

In case somebody wants to add to it. The Oaks are all starting and some are ready and I wil be gatherign seed of different things over the next coupel of months.

Escambi.... Your Fagus grandifolia are almost ready. been checkign every week but the seed not ready to pul off the tree yet.

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

Hi, I'm ignorant about trees other than some of what I have here. I have lots of dogwood, couldn't tell you the specific type, likely the CA native. They are dropping red balls of seeds all over, so I'm happy to send them to anyone who wants them for postage, but please let me know by dmail with your address. :-)

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Anyone want any seeds from Britain?

Have to be ones that APHIS will allow in.

Resin

Huntsville, AL(Zone 7a)

I am a newcomer to Dave's so help me out if I am in the wrong forum. My neighborhood prior to development about 60 years ago had lots of natural growth Black Walnut trees. Our yard has two left and only a few neighbors still have them. The trees in our yard are tall and straight with the branches starting at about 35 feet. This year we had a late freeze so we did not expect much of a crop of walnuts. But I have been surprised. One tree has put out huge walnuts in great numbers while the other has much smaller but equal in number. The trees spring up most everywhere since the squirrels love to hide them in the ground. Not sure how to send the walnuts but if anyone is interested I would be glad to try. Also, have a large natural growth Magnolia tree that has put forth lots of seed pods.

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

4paws, it sounds like your Dogwood with the red ball seeds is a Kousa Dogwood. It seems to bloom every other year here in Illinois. When it does bloom, the flowers last a whole month. It's my favorite tree in the yard. Do the flowers look like the attached drawing?

Thumbnail by pastime

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.