Pictures of your Gardens

Cypress, CA(Zone 10a)

With Spring having arrived and Summer starting to take over there should be some nice things happening in the garden.....Like palms springing back to life after the killer winter we just went through.......Post some pictures of your palms coming to life......
Curt

This message was edited Jun 19, 2007 11:37 AM

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

Well I didn't have so much damage to my palms this winter like a lot of other Southern Californians, but the damage this foxtail sustained is visible in the spotted leaves. But I can see a very healthy spear and hopefully a new frond will be opening soon. Perhaps in another month, maybe quicker if it stays warm like it's been lately.

Thumbnail by FondOfFronds
Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

Foxtails, the "cute" palm. =-)

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

You talk about a palm coming back to life. I call this Kentia "Frankenpalm," b/c i truly thought it was a goner this last freeze. I had been admiring this Wody down the street from me for years when all of a sudden this last January's freeze, it turned mostly brown overnight. I dunno if I took pics back then, but here it is today and amongst all the brown, it truly is pushing a bunch of new green fronds. hooray, i think it's gonna make it. I bet the owner is glad.

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

hard to see the new green growth amidst all the death, but "it's alive! it's alive!"

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

Half brown, half green frond. Interesting.

Cypress, CA(Zone 10a)

I had to take back the large Foxtail I had to HD....I wanted it to live but it had only pushed a half dead spear 6 inches since the freeze and it had no fronds left, so it looked like a stick.....and I got sick looking at it. So I pick up another that I had been looking at for the last few months that was out in the sun, it will like it's new home. My computer has been getting the blue screen of death now for the last month and the rolling back to another restore point is taking about 3 hours......so I will have to format the system.....
Curt

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

Might as well take advantage of that good 'ol HD guarantee.

dang I hate that blue screen of death when that happens. Oh that's right I have a Mac. :sillyme:

http://www.apple.com/getamac/ads/
pssst, click on the "computer cart" one.

Cypress, CA(Zone 10a)

FOF.........I am back on for the moment.....Thank God I have been building computers since 1987.....first was an XT running at 6 MHz in turbo mode.....lol......A 20 meg Hard drive cost 350.00 back then........ I eat apples when I build PCs...........did I say that.....

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

ah well you're a techie it's all good. My first puter was a Mac IIci, a whopping 8MB of RAM (the upgraded model LOL) and 80MB hard drive. With a 13" color monitor and Quark XPress thrown in it came to $5500! Oh yeah i think that it came with an HP Deskwriter C, the first HP color inkjet. those were the days.

Here's another casualty of the freeze of '07, a fishtail that is just now coming back to life. I thought it was a goner too... back then. It was totally brown.

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

I've been thinking about this tree and the Kentia ever since January, wondering if they were going to make it. Trees I see all the time as I drive by. Can you guys tell me what variety of fisthtail this is?

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

loooks like a weather beaten C gigas

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

thanks palmbob.
it was beautiful before January hit.

Cypress, CA(Zone 10a)

My little C gigas lost it's spear...it pulled out and all there was, was a gaping hole.....almost thru it away but I used some of the Tropical grow on it and it is pushing a new spear.......wow.......My computer is still on and off for now.....could be the power supply, memory, motherboard or even the harddrives.....I have a pair of WD Raptors that run at 10,000 rpm in raid 1 mode. I wrote 0's (low leval format). so if there is a glitch in one it will throw it all off.....So I am not loading all my programs until I find the problem.....so no Pic's from me for a few......FOF glad to see your gigas looking happier
Curt

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

whoops I never said that was my gigas. it was one of the ones in my neighborhood that I've been watching this spring to see if it's coming back. I have a fishtail but it's not a gigas. I think its a C. mitis? Not sure. It's not a single trunk but a three groups of three smaller trunklets. I got it at Rancho Soledad Nursery prolly back in 2001.

Big Pine Key, FL(Zone 11)

some of my garden...C. Borhidiana About 3 1/2 foot tall

Thumbnail by keysgreg

A grouping of a pair of Zombia with about 4+ foot of wood

Thumbnail by keysgreg

A grouping adjacent to the entry to my home includes a Pelagodoxa Henryana, a Phoenicophorium Borsigianum and one J. Altifrons which use to be a cluster of three till two feet of salt water visited during hurricane Wilma

Thumbnail by keysgreg

Here is a view looking down at the P. Henryana

Thumbnail by keysgreg

I have a pair of Gastrococos Crispa. One is approx. 3' tall.

Thumbnail by keysgreg

The other G. Crispa was 3' until Feb. when it took off. It is now approx. 8' and going strong. Off to the right is an Acrocomia and to the left a Satakentia.

This message was edited Jun 27, 2007 9:47 AM

Thumbnail by keysgreg

Here is a close up showing the thorniness

Thumbnail by keysgreg

Perhaps unimpressive in a photo, especially one this small, but my Carpoxylon Macrospermum is one of my favorites. When I put it in the ground a year ago it was but a two leaf seedling.

Thumbnail by keysgreg

The winds in the Keys tend to beat up a frond but when the new one unfurls on my Verschaffeltia Splendida it is something to see. One is getting ready now.

Thumbnail by keysgreg
Ventura, CA(Zone 10b)

Cool pics. It's great to see varieties of trees not common/planted in my area. Although relatively new to palms, I've been doing a lot of research of what palms will go into my yards using extensive websites of nurseries (in Orange & San Diego counties) that have similar weather conditions to mine. Funny thing is, I don't remember coming across any of your palms.

It's refreshing that there are soooo many palms available, and we can all have such different plants. As I drive around local residential areas, 95% of what I see are sagos, queens, and kings in peoples' yards. And that's what I started out with, so I'm not complainin'. I came across a yard with a huge Kentia, Shaving brush, and a bunch of others that I couldn't identify, but know they didn't come from the big box stores. One of these days I look forward to stopping by and talking shop with the owner. Like I said, refreshing.

This weekend, HGTV ran a Landscaper's Challenge for a house in Hawai'i. It was so cool the extensive use of palms and other tropicals. And, of course, the winning designer used a decent sized Renda next to their front door!

Oh, by the way, the wifey misplaced our camera, so that's why I haven't posted any pics yet.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Hey Keysgreg- you know the local vet, Dr. Mader? He has some interest in palms and is a friend of mine.. you should invite him over sometime and show him your collection. You have a lot of nice palms there, all which I am familiar with, but none that can grow here for me... Be glad for you wonderful climate... if it weren't for hurricanes, it would be near perfect.

Palmbob, I'll give Dr. Mader a call and extend and invite. You are right about being perfect here but for the hurricane problem. My C. Rendas are still in recovery mode from Wilma. My Bismarkia is a good 16' tall and the fronds are just now getting back to their correct size. For the last 20 months they were stunted in size. On the plus side though, when you loose something it is a good excuse to go and get something new you didn't have room for before.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

That's what I say when a freeze comes along and wipes out my palms.. only the new ones take 10x as long to look like anything than I bet they do for you.

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

well this was a nice thread and why not keep it going?
Here's my little Chambey hookerii growing a very nice new spear.
It will take quite a while I'm sure before it opens, prolly a month or two. Hope it's red.

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

here's that foxtail again, only the new frond has completely opened on this one!
The are so pretty when they open. So fluffy.

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

by this time last year it had already pushed open two new fronds and was going for three. This is the first this year. I think the frost of January held it back. It's going good now though.

Cypress, CA(Zone 10a)

FOF that is pretty seeing your foxtail kicking it in. Remmeber my large foxtail that defoilated to the spear.....Took it back to the HD and got a nice healthy one to take it's place....I'll take a pic this weekend....it's pretty too......Hope we don't get another freeze for the next 15 years.....

Mission Viejo, CA(Zone 10a)

Well, this looks like a good time to jump in and introduce myself. :-) I've been referring to Davesgarden for a few years but just recently signed up.

Here's my Chambeyronia Hookeri, new leaf was two weeks ago. A Rhopalostylis can be seen bottom right.

I've just been reading the horror palm thread here on Davesgarden of this past CA winter (I'm glad I wasn't reading it at the time). I'm in Mission Viejo, 10a-10b. We were lucky. No palms lost due to freeze. We have three chambeyronias (two Hookeri and one Macrocarpa), lots of wodyetia bifurcata, a Roystonea Viiolacea (it might be the only surviving Violacea in California) and couple of Regias, a Rupicola hybrid that is my absolute favorite and two other Rupicolas (not hybrids), C Gigas, a couple of 6-year-old jubaea seedlings I propagated from seeds gathered in Mission Bay, parajubaea, sabal uresana, butia, brahea, bismarckia, pritchardia hildebrandii, A myolensis, A purpurea, A beatrice, way too many Ravenea rivularis (how long does it take for these guys to start growing trunks????), cycas revoluta and cycas circinalis, dypsis decaryi, three livistona chinensis triplets (I would like to replace with decipiens)... and more.

Looking forward to hanging out with fellow palm nuts :-).

Jackie

This message was edited Jul 9, 2007 8:52 PM

Thumbnail by jackiescompost
Mission Viejo, CA(Zone 10a)

Another shot of one of our flame throwers (I shoot far more pictures of these new chambeyronia leaves than all our other palms combined). Oh, that's the wee "Palm Pirate" in the background. He just destroyed a Red Hot Poker, the little criminal.

Thumbnail by jackiescompost
Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

thanks for the great pix of the flamethrowers! That "show" is why I bought my three Chambeys. Truly spectacular. Welcome to the site and glad you didn't have a lot of casualties in the freeze.

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

here is one of my Livistona chinensis that I overwintered in the ground this past winter. We had at least 5 nights at 17 degrees and I wrapped it on those nights, and it is in a very sheltered spot-but considering that I am zone 7b, I think it came out ok. There are a lot of new leaves coming up.

Thumbnail by tigerlily123
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

looks perfect... that species tends to grow better (faster) in your climate, with some humidity, than here in So Cal, and looks happier in summers... .but you sure live in the marginal end of its range.

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

I sure do! so much so that I didn't think it would live-but it seems to handle some cold better than I thought-and rebounds well. This was just an experiment that is doing ok so far-whether it will do ok thru the ensuing winters is questionable.

Ventura, CA(Zone 10b)

Welcome Jackie! With your list, sounds like you got summore picture posting to do!! Keep 'em rollin.

Ventura, CA(Zone 10b)

Ok, this is only my 2nd try at posting a pic, so I'm hoping it works. Here is a raised planter in the backyard. Queen to the left of the sago. Got the bromeliad a few days ago at the 50% off rack at Lowes.

Thumbnail by Venturan

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.