Heidi: Just Hanging Out, Kids In Nursery

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

great shot of who ever that is at the pool. it's like you can see her watching you with the camera.
very cool.

**edited to add

I've heard/seen you mention your association (neighborhood police)
wont they do anything about the noisy neighbors?? your association seems pretty rigid.

This message was edited Jun 24, 2007 8:40 AM

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Thanks, Terese,

That's Juliet (forgot to label it in post) from last night - note all that watermellon everywhere. I was so sure (when I went out yesterday afternoon) that I would get great pics of everybody holding the little watermellon pieces and eating them (like little people). I neglected to mention it, but on top of noisy neighbors, shy raccoons that didn't show up for dinner, and insects harpooning me, I entertained myself for the hour plus wait by trying out various camera setting to try to figure out how to better utilize the night photography features, and (lol - although it wasn't that funny at the time) by the time that Juliet finally showed up I could no longer get the camera to function at all. While I was "playing with it", experimenting and changing setting in the DARK (I'm so brilliant some times!) I managed to "loose" the ability to see and focus in the dark via the camera. Whereas the camera will normally illuminate the subject such that no matter how dark it is outside, seen through the lens the subject appears as though in daylight. Last night - after I played with it for an hour - all that I could see through the lens (or on the LCD) was total darkness; so I was reduced to pointing the camera into the darkness, snapping pictures and hoping (1) a raccoon was within the area photographed, and (2) it was somehow magically focused. That one photo of Juliet going over to get a drink was the only such "gift" that showed up during download. (It was just one of those nights)

Last night demonstrated what I said earlier that despite the fact that Juliet is not comfortable around me - she almost never comes over to my area - she is more tolerant of neighborhood sounds like neighbors and dogs than any of the others including Heidi; so it made sense that when it finally got dark out she was the one who came out even though the neighbors were noisy. Except for water breaks, she stayed over there behind the compost pile because even she was uneasy about the neighbors. Oddly, even though she stays to herself and doesn't otherwise interact with me, when alarmed Juliet is comforted by the "it's ok" phrase. When she 1st arrived last night it looked as though she might run away due to the sounds but was ultimately comforted by a few rounds of "it's ok." (I find it odd that she doesn't trust me enough to come near me like the others, and the whole time she eats she eyes me nervously - like in the photo - yet when other things scare her she listens to me when I tell her not to worry. Like I said before, they each have their own unique combination of what is and isn't scarey and to what extent the are comfortable with me.)

So all of the above explains why she is lurking behind the pool and eyeing me suspicously while drinking. The noisy neighbors have her on high alert and she's not all that comfortable with me to begin with.

As to the "noisy" neighbors, although they could have been quieter I wouldn't say that they were loud in the sense that they should have been reprimanded by "authorities". The problem arises as a result of the fact that because we live in the city our houses are, frankly, too close together. When I 1st moved here I had a very hard time getting accustomed to having their house in my yard. To further exacerbate the problem,the spot where I entertain the raccoons is near the border between my property and theirs, closer to that neighbor than the one on the opposite side.

In addition, they have a single story house that wraps around the patio in back. The design is perfect for outside entertaining and for grilling out. They have a huge grill hooked up back there and cook dinner on the patio most nights, but, naturally, tend to spend more time out there on the weekend. Last summer they erected a huge (though as tasteful as possible since it's made of redwood) "jungle gym" thing for the kid who is about 6.

I don't love the jungle gym and its proximity to my otherwise peaceful cottage garden, and sometimes they can get a little loud out there when entertaining, but then I don't suppose they particularly like having my wildlife haven replete with its compost pile, small brush pile, rabbits, oppossums, raccoons, and the occasional copperhead so close to their kids play area, not to mention what I imagine must be the terrifying sounds of raccoon arguments. "Those who live in glass houses..." Neither their jungle gym nor my purple pool and raccoon buffet are likely within community standards.

In the end living so close to others is a balancing act. While they are noisy by raccoon standards they aren't really so noisy that I think they should be reprimanded, and they aren't out there all of the time - otherwise this thread would be 1 post long. I don't recall them being out there when the kits were around last summer. I'm thinking (and hoping) that by the time Heidi is ready to bring the kits with her the swealtering heat will have driven all sane people inside in search of modern comfort.

The HOA although annoying at times is not as strict as many in the area. They are mostly strict about things which effect the appearance of the front yard especially for those of us who live along main routes where our houses/yards directly effect vistor's impressions of the neighborhood and thus home sales. (There is a vast different between the appearance of my front and back yards! My front yard is manicured to the hilt; this morning I awoke to find watermellon rinds on my back lawn.) Lastly, when I mention the neighbor's barking dogs, noisy kids, fireworks, etc, remember that I have numerous neighbors. The dogs are on the other side. The fireworks are across the street. It's not like this one family is just totally annoying. ;-)

By spending some evenings outside - with yummy food no less - the neighbors, do serve to demonstrate the answer to one question that has plagued us all since the beginning of the Heidi Threads: do my activities unwittingly put the raccoons in danger by causing them to be more trusting of people and more likely to approach others? Since the raccoons won't even come out to see me when other humans are around and since they will run away leaving me and their food behind when other humans are heard nearby, clearly they have managed to make a distinction between the trust they've gained in me and their trust in people in general - which is a comforting fact.

The cookouts and gathering over there mostly threaten the Saturday night raccoon buffet. That still leaves 6 nights to entertain our furry friends. I guess I could also postpone the start of the Saturday night buffet until after the neighbors go inside - and stop experimenting with the camera so I can still take pictures after dark. ;-)

Juliet eating behind compost bin - for some reason her tongue is alway partly exposed in pics (last night's pics going downhill from here):

Thumbnail by DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Tonight was pretty ordinary. I took out the usual plus green grapes (seedless) and a large slice of 12 grain bread which I tore in half. Visitors were Juliet, Heidi, HRH, and Fraidy in that order. Juliet ate lots of grapes - I'm trying to show her that I'm not a big meanie, after all. As is often the case, Heidi was only interested in the cat food. Fraidy came down, grabbed 1/2 slice of bread and then ran off with it before I could get a photo of her eating it. I shared some of the grapes with HRH to make amends for "stealing" his plate the prior evening and then tossed the last handful to Fraidy when she returned. After I'd run out of space on my memory card, HRH climbed out of the "tub", picked up the last 1/2 of the bread slice and sat down to eat it in a sprawling position reminiscent of Gentle Ben or Winnie the Pooh.

Here is Heidi getting a drink. Note that unlike Juliet the other night, Heidi is not only comfortable getting into the pool but also quite willing to drink with her back to me.

Edited to add that not long after Heidi gave birth I noticed an area of red-brown fur at the base of her tail. I'd never seen it before, but didn't know if it was actually new. In this photo it looks as though it may actually be a "sore" area of some kind, perhaps from fighting? Fleas?

This message was edited Jun 24, 2007 11:01 PM

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I did assume that was Juliet in the pool, as you mentioned that she was the only one to show while you were there.
You have assumed that she has had her babies already, right?

it will be interesting how the mom's react when the kids start showing up.. though obviously Heidi's will be first.
How likely is it that she will share? or could Juliet just bring her kids after Heidi and hers are gone for the evening?

though you'd just be guessing too, since this is your first year with more than 1 mom with kids - right?

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Yes, I'm all but certain Juliet has had the kits. She is much slimmer and is able to move around and handle the fence with ease now.

To avoid attracting rats I don't tend to leave a lot of food out. Also, with HRH and all of last year's brood hanging around still along with Snowball and who knows what other critters, food doesn't last long out there. So the Mom's, both Juliet and Heidi try to be 1st to dinner.

It's hard to say what they will do when they get ready to bring the kits along. I'm concerned that it may not go well. Both Heidi and Juliet have become most combative since conceiving. Heidi STILL walks around grumbling a lot to make sure everyone knows she's not taking any static; and lately Juliet leaves her food to run over to the fence (like in that one video) to attack anyone she sees coming down the fence even some 30ft away. She usually doesn't mess with Heidi, but tonight she even ran over to threaten Heidi when she saw Heidi coming down; that didn't stop Heidi, however. It looks like they both want to secure the resources here for their kits; so it looks like we could have a showdown brewing. The fact that Heidi will be getting hers out sooner - we think - should be to her benefit. Still if Juliet gets much "worse" I'll be concerned to see how she behaves around Heidi's kits.

Juliet (below) looking for grapes in the grass:

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Between Juliet and HRH, I think the honeymoon is O-ver. Here is Juliet (left) accosting HRH (right) at station2. Juliet was eating at Station1. HRH was eating over there behind the compost pile, and minding his own business. As Juliet was leaving she walked by to pick a fight with him.

I think the look on her face says it all!

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

Had no online access again last night, so had lots to catch up on tonight: fun! Great photos in the pool. That area at Heidi's tail doesn't look like an injury; on a dog or cat I'd say maybe an allergy, but that isn't common among the wild critters. My guess would be that that spot is a remaining sign of coat quality going south with lactation: looks like the whole area is down to undercoat, and down to skin in a couple spots. I wouldn't be overly concerned unless it worsens in appearance.

It would be extremely foolish for Juliet to mess with Heidi's kids, and I hope she has better sense than to try it. Heidi would certainly attack with everything she has; and though Juliet is much younger, Heidi has experience and the general respect of all. It would be ugly, but I'd bet on Heidi; and after that Juliet would never be welcome at the diner again. As I said, it would be a really dumb move on Juliet's part.

Raccoons definitely play and mock-wrestle together as youngsters; and since these guys are adult siblings, it makes sense that they might still play on occasion, when they're not competing for resources. What fun to watch!

Fascinating that you were able to communicate with both Heidi and Fraidy on allowing access to food. As to who was leading whom, could be seen either way and doesn't matter: just enjoy.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Juliet up close. Although she looks angry and combative in the photo, actually, she is eating grapes. I was trying to capture a photo of her doing that thing I've mentioned where they stick there noses up in the air when they eat the cold grapes. I just happened to catch her with her mouth open (they don't seem to observe the rules regarding chewing with your mouth closed). (Note the teeth. There's a set just like them on the top.)

"I'm stuck with these kids all day and night: nursing, cleaning bottoms, babysitting, protecting. And here you sit, stuffing your face, you worthless cad." [Juliet]

That last is a great shot of raccoon food delight: cold, sweet wonderful grape!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Ruth, when the question about the 2 mom's came up, I thought of you, and then chuckled about you and the cable guy...didn't know that you might really still be having problems. I know that must be very frustrating. One of the [very few] good things about having so many neighbors close by is that whenever my router goes belly up or something like that (and I'm too lazy to go upstairs and reset it), there are always signals I can hijack for a few days to get me through. (Have you tried that to see if you have any "spare" networks around? I mean just for emergency use.)

It's always good to get your input. When I saw the bad spot on Heidi's coat up close in the photo I was a little concerned to think it might be a wound. Glad to hear that you think it's probably nothing too serious. I guess the coat is more likely to wear at the seams where the parts come together. ;-)

Juliet has been pretty ornery lately. Mostly she gives everybody else "heck" but leaves Heidi alone. Last night I was surprise and a little concerned when she ran over to the fence to growl and snarl when she saw Heidi coming down the tree limb. Heidi just came down as though Juliet weren't even there, however, and then Juliet went back over to her dish. Clearly, Juliet was bluffing and Heidi called her on it.

If you look at the recent video with Heidi and Juliet in front of the pool, the one where I was expecting them to fight, there is a moment when you can see Heidi walk toward Juliet and Juliet clearly gets down in a submissive position as if to acknowledge Heidi's position of authority - and avoid a fight. Still, watching Juliet, I think she acts like she's right on the borderline between accepting Heidi's position and trying to take over.

Heidi and Juliet are both about the same size. HRH is the only one who is bigger than them. All of the others are relatively small, with shorter coats, and look quasi-juvenile (that's a novice opinion, of course).

LOL at your take on the photo of Juliet and HRH. That's so funny. Every time I look at the photo I hear that now classic line "YOU did this to me!" So funny that you had a similiar perspective on the photo.

They really like grapes a lot. Right now I'd say the favorites are: cat and dog food, peanuts, eggs, grapes, watermelon, and hummingbird nectar. And just look (photo below) at what mother nature is brewing up for them. These are draped across the entire forest line, not just along the back of my house but as far as I can see on either side of me as well, and I see them all along the road on my trip to work each day. Ironically, they are consider an invasive nusance - by people, that is. I also have 4 types of domestic grapes growing along my side fence.

You know, the other day I was so excited when I was able to communicate with both Heidi and Fraidy and we were able to pull off both maneuvers. Then today I was thinking how silly of me to think they understood anything of what I was trying to do, to think it was anything more than coincidence combined with the fact that each of them wanted food. (I was still happy that it worked out, regardless)

...and then today happened...

Lyndonville, NY

Oh I hate cliff hangers......

I have to wait patiently.

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

And ? Debbi, I'm there hangin' with ya!
Joey

Lyndonville, NY

Ive gotten a drink, a small snack....and I am still hanging on....

tap tap tap

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

OMG! You guys! Originally I was planning to go right on to do the next post. But I had to move flower pics off my disk to make room to download the supporting videos...and before I could write them to DVD I needed to make sure they were organized so I could actually locate them again someday...and a few hours later...Oops! I really didn't think anyone would be waiting...

I just got back and read your posts and I'm laughing so hard that Widget is looking at me trying to figure out if he should run and hide in case maybe I do have rabbies now...LOL. I'm Sorry!

And the tapping just pushed me over the edge...LMAO!

Except - I'm still waiting for the DVD to finish and Widget just informed me that it's time for him to go out - or else.

Em...I might have to write it in the morning...

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Ok, now in my haste to take the dog out I closed the laptop and caused it to hibernate while writing the DVD - I can be so brilliant.

I have to get to bed before too late tonight, but I'll try to tell the story. I'll almost certainly have to wait until tomorrow for the videos and photos.

----

Tonight I came in smiling ear to ear. I don't know if I can articulate what happened well enough to really convey what happened. It was something you almost certainly would have to see with your own eyes to really believe...but here goes:

I needed to change the water in the pool, basins, birdbath, etc; so I went out pretty early. It was quite light out. I'd stopped by Outback on the way home. I saved one grilled jumbo shrimp for Heidi. I took out cat food, 15 grain bread, and 2 eggs.

Almost as soon as I sat down, I saw a tiny, adorable face peering at me through the foliage at the top of the fence. I couldn't tell who it was as I could only see 2 eyes, a nose, and a smidgen of mask here and there. I thought maybe it was Fraidy. I called and cajoled until finally Juliet stepped out from the branch onto the fence. Even then I wasn't sure it was her at 1st because in the bright light her color was different.

Juliet, as I've mentioned, isn't that trusting of me, and all of the raccoons are usually a bit hesitant to come out too early. When she came down she went over to Station 2 to hide behind the compost pile. I had the camera with me and the lighting was excellent. Determined to try to get some pics, I stood up and scooted my bench over to try to get a better view. I knew this would likely upset Juliet, but it was the only way.

As soon as I stood up she fled instantly for the fence so fast that she was 1/2 way up the thing by the time I could call out to say, "Juliet, Juliet. It's ok, Juliet" Considering the intensity with which she had run away, I was more than a little surprised when she responded by stopping where she hung 1/2 way up the post, looking back at me for a moment, and then dropping to the ground to walk back over and resume her meal. She and I have never had much of a relationship, and for the rest of the meal she seemed barely able to tolerate my presence. She left a bit sooner than she usually does. As she walked slowly but deliberately back to the post, she looked determined but not particularly afraid. Still, just in case she was leaving early due to some sound I'd missed, I called softly to her, "Juliet, Juliet" By that time she was at the base of the post and getting ready to climb. She turned to look back at me for few minutes, long enough that I almost thought she might decide to stay. Then she climbed the post and left.

Juliet doesn't interact with me - except sometimes to run away. She comes, she eats, she leaves. Even yesterday when I fed her grapes from some 15ft away, she ran away atleast 3 times. Considering the way that she fled today as though followed by a ghost, I was most surprise that she stopped and returned when I spoke to her, and I was really shocked when she stopped and looked back at me when I spoke to her as she was leaving.

A few minutes later (and probably why Juliet left so abruptly), I looked up to see Heidi sitting high up on the limb of the Heidi tree. I called to her to invite her down. She came down and started eating at Station 2. The light was still very bright, so much so that I was also amazed to see that Heidi's color was also much different.

Not wanting to waste such excellent light, I took the best photos and videos that I could considering that she was also behind the compost pile. While I was shooting video, a large and loud military airplane flew low over us probably setting up for landing and Heidi fled in terror for the comfort and cover of the Heidi tree. I tried to comfort her but the plane was so close and so loud that I couldn't even hear my own voice.

Even when the plane was gone, she seemed reluctant to return. I could see her sitting there on the limb, partially obscured by the foliage. I called to her and tried to talk her down, but she wouldn't budge. Almost in jest, I reached into my pocket, took out an egg, held it up to show her - where she sat on the limb in the edge of the forest a good 30ft or more away. Turning the egg around in my hand as I held it up in the air( to increase the likelihood that she could identify it), I said, "I'll give you this yummy egg if you come back." And with that she immediately started back down the limb and into the yard. And this time, as if she truly understood that I was offering her the egg, she walked around the dish at Station2 and around the pool to come over to the dish at Station 1. Since I'd moved my bench over that way earlier to get a better view around the compost pile, I was sitting directly in front of Station 1, maybe 10ft away.

She started eating. I tapped the egg on the chair leg to dent the end and rolled it over to her. For what seemed an eternity she stood there motionless, just looking at me. Eye to eye, as though trying to read me, trying to figure me out. It was a repeat of that moment we'd had once before. She wasn't afraid. She was confused. Her face said, "Who ARE you? I do not understand." There was a softness to her face that also said, "...but I appreciate you." (I started rolling the film. crossing my fingers it's decent) A minute or so later she picked up the egg and started to eat. No sooner had she eaten the egg I'd promised her and turned back to eat some of the cat food than the folks next door came out for the nightly cookout. They were talking loudly, as though speaking to each other from across the yard. Hearing people so close by and knowing that she was out in daylight, Heidi was about to bolt. I spoke to her, telling her "It's ok, Heidi, It's ok"

She had already taken a few steps away, she turned and came back to her dish. The voices kept getting louder and closer. She started to leave again. Again I spoke to her. The voices got louder still and now included the sound of chains and some kind of machinery. Heidi's eyes were huge, fear showed on her face. For an incredible time, minutes, but an incredible quantity of minutes under the circumstances, she danced in place. Leaving. Staying. Listening to me, Listening to them. As she vascillated between leaving and staying, between terror and trying to believe me, you could absolutely see the wheels turning in her head. She was torn between believeing me when I told her it would be ok and believing her instincts which said she should surely flee.Time stood still as she wrestled with the decision, grabbed a few more pieces of kibble, almost jogging in place. leaving. staying. As I spoke to her and she kept trying to stay but knowing that she should go, her face so expressive as she looked at me. In that few moments it was just so crystal clear to me that she knew that I was asking her to stay. She understood that I was asking her to trust me, and as she struggled mightily to do that her face said in that instant she wanted to please me...and she tried but, alas, she had to go...

And, so, she left, and I understood why she had to go. Her life was at stake. The lives of her babies were at stake. I was flattered that she had stayed as long as she had, that she had fought so hard to believe me... afterall, she didn't have to stay for the food. She knew that it would be here. She could hide on the other side of the fence until dark or until the danger passed. She could come back later, yet she had wrestled mightily with the decision and had really tried to stay as long as she could...

It was an incredible moment and one in which I knew that we were really connecting, one creature to another.

That's awesome, Cheryl; you are having some truly marvelous experiences this year. I really think we underestimate our ability to communicate with animals. Granted that true verbal communication isn't possible - I believe they understand our tone of voice and emotional content, but certainly not the specific words, for the most part - but we can communicate on so many other levels. They can read our moods/emotional state like experts, and I have no doubt this is why it works when you tell them it's okay.

Years ago while working in animal shelters, I read a tiny little book called "Calming Signals" by a woman who'd spent her life working with dogs, studying the way they communicate with each other and defuse conflict between themselves. Simple homespun wisdom, but profound in its way. One thing that really stuck with me was her observation that, when stressed, dogs will often yawn to calm themselves, and that it also helps to calm other dogs with whom they may be in conflict. She suggested it would also work for us to calm dogs. Okay, what the heck, I tried it first with our own dogs. When they would be going off like idiots at the window, carrying on about an intruder in the yard (usually a squirrel, god forbid), I'd go over to the window, look out, and then very calmly and obviously yawn (big rude open-mouthed yawn, you have to really act out here). The dogs would immediately hush and visibly settle down. Fascinating! So I tried it at work, first with dogs really stressed by being in a shelter kennel, pacing, anxious, etc. I'd talk quietly to them for a minute, and then start yawning; soon they'd be yawning, and the pacing would stop. [Of course this only lasts as long as you can stay with the dog. Made me wish in some cases that I could stand there and yawn all day, but alas, this is not what they paid me for...] Then I tried it with aggressive dogs, though always from outside their kennel, of course: same result, in most cases it would visibly calm and settle the dog. Who would have guessed? BTW, this doesn't work with cats: might be species-specific to dogs.

I guess the point is that our preconceived ideas of how communication works are based on our ability to use words: there are many many other ways to communicate, and I think we communicate in dozens of ways every time we interact with animals, even if we don't always understand how or why. In addition to the incredible diet you're providing, your body language, tone of voice, gestures, and probably lots of other things let the raccoons know you are safe and a source of good things and security. This is allowing you to build a really remarkable and enviable relationship with them: again, congratulations!

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Quoting:
Oops! I really didn't think anyone would be waiting...

OH Cheryl -- I think there is always someone waiting on pins and needles.
I happened to go to bed early - or i would have been one of them.
fabulous story -- i could actually see Heidi doing the tap dance deciding whether to stay or leave.
fabulous!!

I'll be heading home in a few hours [once the kids wake up] so by then you may have the video up and i can view them.

Lyndonville, NY

Ohhhh, the pain...the krink in my neck. I must have fallen asleep at the desk....waiting....

Oh its morning! There is posting!

Awesome story Cheryl, and I do believe your communicating to them. Not just with words...but the soothing sound of your voice wasn't showing fear...and she could read that in her own way, but as you said...her mother instincts won out.

Great news, I can't wait for the video and pictures, I think I will go take a nap first....in bed. (smile)

Debbie

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Ok, here are the videos. Sorry, I encountered all manner of grief trying to get them loaded on line so it took a little longer than expected. Some are on both webshots and youtube. For those I give both links so you can choose. (Now I need to buy a camcorder, too)

Juliet returning when called: (utube) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vu_-dghuLSs&mode=user&search=

Heidi eating at Station 2:
utube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrE-oidcefM&mode=related&search=

Heidi runs away (ok, she doesn't always listen):
utube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBC_EgZsvXg&mode=user&search=
webshots: http://outdoors.webshots.com/video/3091569110015894510lwGAUy

Heidi returns when I offer her the egg:
webshots: http://outdoors.webshots.com/video/3035717990015894510UhcMGV

Heidi eats egg (if you watch on full screen on utube it's grainy but you can actually see the egg white going from shell to mouth):
webshots: http://outdoors.webshots.com/video/3037189260015894510jYiulX
utube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aqh0kpA8bnM&mode=user&search=

Edited to correct incorrect link

Edited again to add: while you are on youtube you might want to check out some of the other raccoon videos. they will show you links to them automatically when you view these. many are pet raccoons, and are very cute.

Also, despite all of the jiggling in my videos, the videographer really doesn't have Parkinsons or a bad tick or anything like that; for one thing it's very hard to hold the camera absolutely still while swatting mosquitos!
This message was edited Jun 27, 2007 8:01 AM

This message was edited Jun 27, 2007 10:06 AM

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi, guys, sorry to have left you hanging. I do plan to come back to respond to your posts. I'm not feeling well, had to leave work early today. I'm just extraordinarily and inexplicably tired, frustratingly so. Tonight I found that I have a large abcess on a tooth. I had a root canal on the tooth years ago; that appears to have suppressed much of the sensation so that I was largely unaware of the problem that seems to be brewing in the tooth. I don't know if that may have anything to do with my lethargy. Anyhow, I enjoyed reading your posts and look forward to responding soon.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

OH Cheryl.... hope you get that "fixed" soon and you are feeling better. Get your rest. We can sit back and re-watch the videos.

Lyndonville, NY

Oh Cheryl, I just cringed at the thought of that. An infection like that can really wipe you out. Don't take any chances of it spreading.

I so loved the videos, and so did my kids. I think they have watched them a couple times now. I envy you for being able to do this, and am so thankful they have you to take care of them.

Now, get yourself better, so you can go visit them again. Don't want them moving in and taking care of you!

Debbie

Ouch! Get yourself on some good antibiotics, girl; don't take chances with an infection.

The videos are just great; especially loved the one of Heidi eating the egg.

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Cheryl, hope you feel better soon! The thought of a root canal makes My mouth hurt! :-O
Thanx for the web-shots! They were Great! :D
Joey

Rosemont, ON(Zone 4a)

Cheryl, please get yourself to a dentist or doctor soonest! I hope you are soon feeling better and have the tooth infection under control.

Hillsdale, NY(Zone 5b)

In comes Heidi with nurse's cap and a tray in those cute little paws. Juliet is way too busy to get involved, but Fraidy is hovering in the background, trying to be helpful. Don't you just hate it when Mom isn't feeling well?

Please (get and) take your medicine, and feel better soon!

Julie

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

LOL Julie -- what a vision.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Thanks, guys. I just came back from the dentist. The tooth is infected and abcessed. The root is broken. She thinks it probably cannot be saved, recommends removal. At this point, all I want to do is go back to sleep. Could barely stay awake at dentist office. I have an 2PM appointment with oral surgeon for removal. Might as well get it over with [so I can get back to sleep].

Cute image, Heidi taking care of me; but you guys haven't seen her when she's grumpy. In that case she might be the nurse ratchet type.;-)

Well, I'm off to see the wizard..em, surgeon.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

I'm back, but I think I'll probably be getting very, very sleepy soon. I told the surgeon to make sure that I would be able to feed my raccoons tonight. He said, "That's easy. Just leave the top of the garbage can." Then he added, "you don't have to FEED raccoons. If you just leave the garbage out, raccoons will feed themselves." I don't know if it was the way he said it, the fact that he looked like a clone of Mick Jagger, or the nitrous oxide; but it seemed funny at the time.

When I got my antibiotics and pain meds filled and saw the name of the medication I thought, "Oh, no, I don't want to take that stuff." I'd heard too many bad things about it on the news, etc. About 15 minutes later when the pain kicked into high gear I was like "Where's that pain medicine!?!!"

I may not be able to stay out with the raccoons tonight. I will put food out either way. The last few days I just left food out for them. If the pain eases a bit and I'm still awake, I try to write my responses tonight and post some more of the photos.

Bloomingdale, OH(Zone 6a)

Heidi to the rescue!

I hope you feel better quickly!

mg

Thumbnail by mornin_gayle
Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

LOLOL!!! (Ouch) mg, you're killing me! That is SO CUTE!

You guys are so sweet. : )

Valencia, PA(Zone 5b)

Cheryl. Hope you are feeling better. DO take the antibiotics and pain meds--and get better, for your "family." I have had some trouble myself so haven't been on here lately. I had been having leg and arm pain and weakness and was really sleepy, also. My blood tests were horrible so they sent me to a rheumatologist asap. She diagnosed "polymyalgia rheumatica." So now my surgery (for fixing up my bladder) is cancelled, and I will be on cortisone (prednisone) for up to two or three years. I have been soooo tired that mostly I am doing two things: trying/sleeping in bed or getting up the energy to go out and try to check the garden, clean up after the birds and the squirrels, and take care of the coons. Takes me about 3 hours now what used to take 45 minutes. DON'T GET OLD. Not spending much time at the computer at all. But I like to read this thread if nothing else. So...let me say, Cheryl, I am sooo impressed that you had the two episodes of mind reading with Heidi and Fraidy. That was so neat.
I haven't been spending much time at all with my group. I don't think I will ever get close to anyone because of the various ones that come around. I do interact with Maggie as she comes around early. So I watch her steal everyone elses cookies and I feed her some peanuts and talk to her. She responds pretty well to the "it's ok" phrase. But she still will not let me get real close to her-makes her nervous and she backs up and hides behind a tree or in the bushes until I move back. I keep asking her when she is bringing babies out, but she ignores that question. Only babies seen so far are the two of Stubbies. The other night, I looked out and there was Stubbie and two little ones eating bird seen in the front yard--the babies were scared to death and ran up a big tree--wayyy up. Stubbie, just said, "yeah, yeah" and kept eating.
I tried like crazy to keep the light on them because, of course, they are very, very cute. Little faces with little masks. Then I made a loud noise on the porch that scared Stubbie and she ran off with two little ones scrambling down the tree and running right after her. I guess Stubbie is a girl, afterall. Tonight I saw one way up the tree, but no one else. I am in for the night. (I may take a sneaky peek to see if I can see a little one--curiosity.) You all take care. Night. Karen

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Having more difficulty controling pain than expected, but I did sit with the raccoons for a while tonight. They have a very calming effect on me, and that seemed to help a bit at least as a distraction.

It was noisy out. Even after dark there was an almost constant stream of people talking loudly somewhere out at the street as well as the occasional barking dog, blowing horn, or revving motorcycle. At some point in the evening the neighbors on both sides came out, and the pitbull next door made an appearance. The drone of lawn equipment was almost constant. As a result, I found myself needing to reasure Heidi and/or Fraidy almost non-stop. Once Heidi almost left, but I was able to convince her to turn around. Another time she fled all the way to the tree and had to be coaxed to return.

I can't recall when I've ever seen Heidi eat so much. She didn't eat fast, just endlessly or almost so. Eventually, I began to wonder if she had been getting enough to eat the last few days. These days with the kits waiting for her she's less inclined to take risks with her safety, and after a few good scares will usually leave altogether. With no one around to help "interpret" the constant noise of summer activity perhaps she had been "forced" to retreat before she had eaten her fill. She was certainly making up for it tonight. Fraidy also seemed to eat and eat and eat well beyond her usual consumption.

Sugar, Panda, and Juliet were also present. In addition to the dry cat food I had also taken out a tiny 1/4c container of sheeba. This was the best of the grocery store offerings in cat food; yet, oddly, while almost every raccoon sniffed it, not one of them tasted it. Strange, but they all seemed to prefer dry cat food to the best of the canned options.

My thoughts are with you, Cheryl; I had an abscessed tooth extracted years ago, and remember the experience vividly but not fondly. That dentist didn't prescribe pain meds, so it was an interesting couple of days.

I think what you're seeing with Heidi, in addition to a couple days' unsupervised/unassisted feeding, is that the kids are now around 6 weeks old. That's a good size, and puts a huge nutritional demand on mom to provide enough milk to keep them happy and growing. They're also moving around more at this age, though still in or very close to the nest: again, more calorie demands. Heidi is probably going to eat like a famine victim for the next couple weeks until the kids become big enough and coordinated enough for her to start teaching them foraging/hunting skills. When that happens, you can be sure your yard will be the first stop!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Oh, Karen, SO sorry to hear that you are having so much difficulty lately. I had wondered about you, noticed we hadn't heard from you recently. Glad that you were able to stop by tonight.

I'm doing well except that, as mentioned, I'm having more pain than I had expected, but since the dr prescribed oxy, I guess he did anticipate this level of pain. I am being careful to take the antibiotic in a timely manner and I quickly learned that I do have to take the oxy - to stay sane. Am also having debilitating levels of nausea, a result of the strong pain meds I guess. But I am optimitic that these symptoms are temporary and will be gone soon - very soon.

I did also get a bone graft in preperation for an implant to replace the lost tooth. At one point I heard the surgeon telling the nurse that this was the worst case of necrosis that he had seen "sealed" and "growing" under a crown. Apparently the problem had been building for a while, and, ironically, the prior root canal had helped to obscure the problem by muting pain signals.

I can relate and sympathize with your comment about things taking so much longer for you now. I went through that for a year or 2 after my knee surgeries. In time I got so far behind with the house and garden that I thought I'd never catch up again. Hopefully, your DH will be able to help you some so that doesn't happen to you. In my case, I kept believing that I would get better much faster than I did. Ultimately, if I'd known it was going to take as long as it did, I would have hired people to take care of the major things for me from the beginning - before they got so far behind.

I could also relate to your comment about the difficulty of getting out there to take care of the feeders and such. At the height of my recovery and of what, for me, was a temporary disability that I failed at the time to acknowledge, I went months without feeding the hummers, abandoned the birdbaths for a year or more, and even failed to fill the bird feeder for quite a while. Whereas I had previously been most fastitious about the upkeep of my cottage garden, it quickly became a mass of overgrown and under fed vegetation along with a tangle of weeds. I am only now beginning to reclaim it.

I do hope that things will go better for you very soon and that you will be able to get adequate help from others in the mean time. (In my case not only did I fail to hire help when I really needed it but so great was my denial that I also turned down all of the sincere help that was offered me, always insisting that I could handle things. Please don't make my mistake.)

As for Maggie, Stubbie(s), LittleOne(s) and the others give them time. It really seems to me as though you've made incredible progress. With mine, I didn't move "forward" at all quickly. I don't approach them (even now Heidi is the only one who will stay out there if I approach from the house after they've arrived), when I take the food out I sit down and wait for them. That seems much less threatening to them. I started last year sitting much farther back and only moved my seat a little closer after they had become very comfortable with my location.

Take care.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi, Ruth. Oh, I can't imagine going through this without pain meds. As I mentioned earlier, my initial reaction to the oxy was that I didn't want to take it after all of the bad press it has been getting, 20 minutes later I couldn't get the bottle open fast enough. Even the oxy didn't control the pain. After an hour or so of thrashing about in agony (with the meds), I ended up taking a double dose. That's when I went out to feed Heidi and the gang. Even the double dose didn't completely ameliorate the pain. If you made it through this without pain meds I am most impressed, and I can certainly see why you wouldn't remember it foundly. In my case, the fact that the tooth had previously had a root canal was a further complication during the extraction. I would have expected it to make matters better, but, in fact, the remaining thin and fragile walls crumbled during extraction.

I had just completely under estimated the whole process. I had made all kinds of post opp plans that now seem silly. I thought I was going to work tomorrow, even argued with the nurse about this, and as I'd missed breakfast and was quite hungry I picked up a nice salad with grilled chicken, cucumbers, tomatoes, and mixed greens that I looked forward to eating after my extraction - LOL at me!

For the longest time, especially right after the birth, Heidi was eating so much less than I expected. I guess she was eating the least she could get by with in order to hurry back to the babies. She's lost a lot of weight. She's not skinny. Thankfully, I fattened her up "good" before hand. If she loses much more though, I'll be getting her confused with Fraidy.

I can't begin to tell you how very much I look forward to seeing a new group of those furry little cuties! I used to get annoyed with Heidi for destroying all of my bird feeders (at $40 a pop x 10 or more!). I still remember most fondly that 1st night when I rushed out to get the feeder and ran walked right up on the little fluff balls as they were dangling all over the feeder with Heidi on the ground beneath. My heart just melted at the sight of them. Suddenly I went from "Please stay off the bleeping feeder!" to "Ahhhh! Look at Heidi teaching the kids to raid the feeder. Isn't that adorable!" and I never went back.

I can't wait!

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

>>"Ahhhh! Look at Heidi teaching the kids to raid the feeder. Isn't that adorable!"

Too funny!! I think that would be my response too. I just love critters, and babies especially -- though it's a rare sight around here.... with the exception of bunnies.... we have a lot this year, of it just seems they all come out to play at once.... but the coyote will take care of that over the summer. sad, but that's the way it goes.

I hope for your speedy recovery.... my kids just went thru getting wisdoms pulled, one was in much more pain than the other, and he commented the pain meds just dulled the pain for him -- but they only had 4 days worth, and then it was just regular OTC stuff that worked for him to "dull" it. it's been 2 weeks and he's been OK for a few days now.... but obviously your's was much more extensive.

well -- gotta get packin' ... heading up north in a lil bit.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi, Terese,

Thanks for the well wishes. I feel pretty good this morning. So far, not having significant discomfort. Looks like the worst is over - hoping.

When I saw the kits on the feeder, I had to laugh at myself. Those little cuties gave me a whole new perspective on feeder raids. Suddenly, any damage to the feeder seemed a small price to pay for the magical opportunity to enjoy the antics of those adorable little "furbees".

Recently I've discovered a bunny living in backyard cottage garden. When I go out in the morning he scurries across the lawn to hide in the weed covered veggie garden. From time to time I'll find an echinacea bloom, calla lily, lily, etc that has been cut down by my new bunny friend. Somehow on Sunday afternoon when I was taking photos of my flowers I managed to sit down (in a chair) beside him.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I'm so glad you're feeling better, scutler. I had all four of my wisdom teeth (all impacted) taken out at once 10 years ago. They weren't abcessed, so I'm sure they didn't hurt as much as what you are going through, but it was awful enough. My ice bag was my best friend! My face was swollen like a chipmunk with a full mouth for over a week, and I couldn't eat solid food for a good 8 weeks. They knicked a nerve in there somewhere in the process of yanking the teeth, and half of my tongue was numb for about 6 months. Ugh.. It was awful. 3 months later my little sister had hers pulled, and she was eating hamburgers that night. It just wasn't fair at all! LOL Not that I would have wished my misery on anyone else, of course, but still... :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.