Heidi: Just Hanging Out, Kids In Nursery

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

Have to agree about the rabies vaccination. It is not at all painful and very easy to get. Rabid animals are not always symptomatic and that is the time that they will spread the disease.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I too, was thinking about Trouble just yesterday after reading the antics over the past few days.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi Ruth! We missed you! I was thinking of sending out a search party, but kept reminding myself that there are things like vacations and such.

LOL at your description of the [notorious] cable folks. I like the rather new tv commercial in which 2 guys remove the ladder so the cable guy can't get down from the roof and then say, "Don't worry. We'll put it back sometime between 7 and 11 but closer to 12:30."

I wish you could have been there to see HRH's hurt and innocent look. I try not to be quick to ascribe human emotions and motivations to the animals, but the look was so unmistable. I sat their thinking, "Oh, no, he didn't just do that! ...Did he?" I try not to jump to such conclusions, but many times the looks they give me and each other seem so clear...like tonight when I kept showering Heidi with kitten food while trying to land some in the pool from 15ft away and after a while she stopped eating to give me that "What the HECK are you DO-ing?!" look.

I, too, was thinking of Trouble rather recently. Haven't seen him for a while. Of course, I miss him but am happy to think that he has gone out there, staked claim to his on territory and made a life for himself.

HRH is 2nd only to Fraidy in how much the ladies pick on him. I'm sure he can handle it, and is probably even used to it. Sometimes he deserves it because he can be a bit of a cad at times - stealing other's dishes and such.

With respect to rabies, thank you for caring enough to take a stand. Today I called the local Health Dept and was, quite amazingly, told that they don't do that anymore and haven't for quite some time. Later in the day I got a call back from an epidemiologist (at Health Dept) who again said that they don't offer those shots. However, she gave me the number for a doctor in a neighboring city who has been checking into ordering the vaccine because he's getting so many requests for it. I'm surprised to think that it could be so difficult to get in this area. I will keep checking. At least your words - echoed by others - got me to take action.

I double checked my facts on rabies in the area. Actually, in 06, Charleston County had the highest incidence of confirmed cases in the state - by far: 29 raccoons, 8 foxes, and 3 cats. Charleston County does, of course, cover a lot of territory outside the city where I live. Elsewhere in the state, most counties had only 1 of 2 of any. I think I may have gotten bad info for my earlier comparison with W Virginia. I can't find their stats right now but CDC shows a strip of extremely high infection going from FL up to WV but around SC. It looks like we are not in the area they consider critical and are not part of the federal oral vaccine program. Even if I was wrong about our numbers being higher than WV - and I sure hope I was - 1 is too many.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

tetleytuna -- you are right. thanks for caring enough to give me a little push.

Terese -- Seems like we were all thinking the same thing - missing Trouble. I just think of him out there somewhere having a happy life and lots of girlfriends.

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

You can be quite sure that HRH is used to being dumped on by the ladies. In their species (as in many), males are good for only one purpose; and when they're not in the mood, the male is raccoon non grata - and distinctly unwelcome.

I wouldn't fret about ascribing emotions to their behavior and expressions: in fact, I'm sure you're right on target. The mistake, from my viewpoint, is to assume that emotions are the exclusive province of humanity: that is so clearly untrue. I believe it's true that animals do not think of either the past or the future; they dwell entirely in the present, and the future in particular is an abstract concept they don't seem to have. But they are capable of the full range of emotions, and emotional expression, from bliss to extreme grief and everything in between. And yes, they are not only capable of manipulative behavior, but are quite darn good at it in some cases. And when that look at you like they think you've lost your marbles, I have no doubt that's exactly what they're thinking. If you live with cats, you become quite used to this; I think their entire species believes that the concept of humans as the dominant species is the height of absurdity.

Thank you for starting the process of finding out about rabies vaccination; I really can't emphasize enough how important it is. 29 rabies cases in one year is high - very high. So is 3 cats - very high - and cats are usually infected by raccoons when they hit the same dumpster/diner at the same time. I'm very surprised that the local health dept. doesn't offer the vaccines. Some suggestions on how to get information on where to be vaccinated. You could call your local animal shelter, animal control agency, or the wildlife agency you spoke to last year; ask if they have staff members vaccinated, and where the vaccines are available. Just tell them you're interested in doing some volunteer work with wildlife (that's true enough!), and want to know where you could be vaccinated before you'd train to work with species like raccoons. Although they might try to discourage you from working with "high-risk" species, they should be forthcoming with information to keep you safe.

Your last descriptions of Trouble's physical appearance (broader head, i.e. jowls, etc.) made it clear he'd arrived at puberty. This would have made his presence immediately unacceptable to both Heidi and HRH. We all hope he's found a new territory with lovely and willing ladies, lots of bird feeders, and maybe a kiddie pool that's unattended at night....

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

This morning I opened the back door to see my cottontail hop across the brief patch of lawn and disappear amidst the mix of black eyed susans, gaillardia, echinacea, yarrow, suflowers, and other wildflowers and weeds in the veggie patch. I find it interesting that what we humans consider a problem - a less than attractive garden bed covered in weeds and wildflowers - is quickly becoming a favorite spot for the wildlife in my garden. So far I've found a box turtle, a bunny, Snowball, and Fraidy hanging out there.

Today was one of those days. We all have them. The names, faces, and adjectives may be different, but I'm sure you will recognize my day as having happened to you many times before. It was the kind of day when I felt like I didn't have time to spend with the wildlife, yet it was the kind of day in which even a minute or two with them would be the breath of fresh air I needed to unwind, the kind of day when I would be reminded how relaxing my time with them can be.

I had been expecting a delivery from Lowe's. They called at noon to say they would be at my house in 30 minutes. Lunch traffic made it difficult to exit the parking lot at work, and the freeway was clogged and at a standstill. Even as they unloaded my new lawn tractor [and assorted other items in heavy boxes] the ominous, black clouds overhead were starting to spill a bit of their contents, and I found myself wishing I'd bought that cover for the lawn tractor. While I was rushing to cover the lawn mower with a bright blue tarp [that would surely clash with neighborhood standards], the clouds opened up spilling blinding, horizontal sheets of water like rivers from the sky. I stayed out in the driving rain working to make a space in the gararge for the lawn tractor and other items. Dragged out huge boxes stuffed with the flattened cardboard, I made two much needed trips to the recycling center to drop them off. By the time I got the darned thing inside, I was thoroughly soaked and had been forced to put the garbage container outside briefly in my quest to save the tractor from an almost certain death by drowning. At that point I looked up to see that the official HOA "police" had arrived to get my house number and write me up for some infraction probably involving the tarp and items that had been on the drive for a while or the trash container or who knows...but I'm sure I'll know in a few days. Frustrated, soaked, and exhausted, still needing to make up the work I'd missed when I left to receive the Lowe's delivery, I took a much needed nap.

When I awoke it was near feeding time and still raining gently. I still had lots to do, so I decided to run out and just leave the food. I put out the usual cat food split between 5 containers but this time I interleaved the cat food with sunflower seeds scoop for scoop. I put one extra scoop of sunflower seeds in the pool along with a handful of dog candies; the seeds floated on top of the water. I left, sorry that I would not be there to enjoy watching the raccoons fish out the seeds. I was just too tired and too busy.

At dusk when I ran out to get the bird feeder, I decide to just walk back there and see what was going on. I didn't see any raccoons back there, but I sat down and called to Heidi expecting that the raccoons might have gone back over the fence when they heard me coming [and fussing at the dog to keep him from accompanying me]. As soon as I called her, I became aware of movement to my left. I did a double take because the raccoon that came out of the weed covered veggie patch and made his way behind the potted plants toward feeding station #1 was the wrong color. I don't have any white raccoons, do I? No, it was Snowball the white oppossum.

I was pleasantly surprised to have Snowball (1) answer my call and (2) come out while it was still somewhat light out and with me so close by. I guess after spending so much time on the fence watching the raccoons eat around me he must have figured it was safe. As I sat there on my bench watching Snowball eat, I began to feel the cares of the day melt away.There is something so serene about the opportunity to commune with wildlife.

I don't know if I mentioned this before, but not only is Snowball white, he is also a runt - a cute runt, but a runt. He's smaller than Fraidy, smaller than my 4.5lb dog. His legs are very short. He probably stands about 8" tall. His face is closer to a normal length so that he looked a bit comical as he stood there facing me while eating. It seemed as though he needed to hold his head up a bit to keep his nose from dragging the ground. He's comical but cute. His head and face along with his legs, feet, and tail are all stark white. His back is a dappled combination of dove grey and white. His eyes are blue, and his nose is pink. For an oppossum, he's pretty adorable. I sat there, BTW, screaming at myself for not having brought that darned camera. I would have loved to grab a picture of him.

He did not seem at all concerned at having me near by, and I enjoyed spending a little time with him.Then suddenly, Snowball raised his head and turned to waddle back to the fence where, despite my attempts to call him back, he climbed the post and walked along the top of the fence down to his corner. Just as Snowball reached the top of the fence, Heidi started down. I had been unaware of her presence; Snowball had not. Since the beginning of Heidi's pregnancy Snowball had not been permitted to eat with the raccoons. He had heard her coming and had gone to his side of the fence to wait his turn.

Heidi walked up to her dish and then before she took her first bite she turned and headed over to the pool. None of the others were around to disturb her. It was a great time for a quiet dip in the pool. For a while she stood beside the pool catching sunflower seeds, her hind legs on the ground, body arched over the edge, front legs in the water fishing for seeds - the same seeds, BTW, that were also in the dish she had walked away from.

As Heidi scooped up sunflower seeds off the surface of the pool, I noticed that there were far fewer seeds there than there had been previously. That coupled with the food missing from one of the bowls nearby made me surmise that Fraidy had already been down for dinner and a swim. After a bit, Heidi hopped into the pool, drank, and then returned to her dish to eat.

For a few more relaxing minutes I watched her eat before retiring for the evening. Tonight I'd spent only maybe 15 minutes with them. I'd cut my time substantially but had benefitted from time to stop and reflect.

I've been wanting to mention that I've not heard Heidi cough at all in a very long time. For a while there, especially at the height of her pregnancy I had been rather concerned for her. Her coat is also looking much better now. I think some aspects of her overall form may show her age though.

Yesterday I found myself wondering if Juliet may have given birth already. I didn't get to see her well enough to say for sure but she seemed less "pouffy" and better able to descend the fence.

What a day! It's true, isn't it: if you can force yourself to pause for just a few minutes and quietly watch the animals, an element of calm enters even the worst day.

Interesting comment about Juliet. I didn't make note of when she first began appearing with HRH for dinner, so have no clue when she was due. This may well be the right time frame.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Again tonight I only saw Heidi. I'm sure the others will come around later.

When I went out with the food (cat food and sunflower seeds) Widget insisted the he needed to go out. It was pretty early so I thought there was time for Widget to do his thing before the raccoons arrived. I had just filled the dish at station 2, tossed a few handfuls of seeds into the pool, and was walking along the fence by the Heidi tree limb on my way to station 1 when I became aware of movement in the forest beside me. I was only maybe 1-1.5ft from the fence when I looked up to see Heidi walking back up the limb of the Heidi tree. She was about 1/2 way up the limb and only 2-3ft from the fence.

Realizing that she had likely turned back because of the dog, I called to her, "Heidi. It's ok, Heidi." When I spoke her body was facing away from me as she ascended the branch, but she turned her head to look back at me. I put one hand under the dog's tummy, picked him up, and started walking over to station 1 to finish filling dishes. An instant later and even before I could reach station 1, I was very surprised to see Heidi coming down the fence post and heading to station 2 to eat. Call me silly and romantic, but it was so clear that she heard me and understood.

Still holding the dog, I proceeded to walk around the feeding area filling dishes. It was daylight still, and I was walking around only some 10-12ft from her and holding a dog; but Heidi seemed relatively at ease as she ate.

I sat down on my bench, dog in hand. As you might imagine the dog was quite upset about having Heidi in his yard. Several times he started to growl. Heidi would look up at me (and the dog). Each time I would tell her it was ok (and gently tell the dog to stop), and you could just see on her face that she understood. She even seemed to understand the difference between when I was talking to the dog and to her. I always use her name when talking to her, and she seems to recognize it.

Heidi went over to fish seeds from the pool, take a dip, and drink. She had to come somewhat closer to us to reach the pool. That upset the dog even more. As Heidi reached over the edge of the pool to scoop up seeds, he growled ominously. She looked up at us, and for a moment it looked as though she would bolt, but when I spoke to her to say it was ok, I could just see the concern melt from her face. After that she continued to fish and even get into the pool.

Eventually, I was even able to calm the dog such that he put his head on my shoulder and slept while Heidi vascillated between eating at her station and fishing from the pool. When we left, she was still out there eating.

Now that's a peaceable kingdom: way to go!

Valencia, PA(Zone 5b)

Such great stories. I haven't put any food in the pool, just water. They like to drink and wade in it. I have to change it every 4 days since that's when they say the mosquito larva would be getting ready to hatch. Miss Maggie is still coming earlier (before dark) and eating all the cookies out of all the bowls for the other coons. Not too dumb. Then she haas a few bites to eat and then checks out the squirrel feeder for peanuts, which she eats to her hearts content. The others come later and do get some dog food and seeds on the ground left there by the squirrels. Not much else new here. Karen

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Thank you, Ruth. Some days it works out better than others. : )

Hi, Karen, Miss Maggie sounds pretty wise. Also sounds like she has a sweet tooth.

---

Not a lot going on here today either. We're having daily tstorms, rain. The local raccoon triathlon must have been today. Everyone showed up famished. Heidi was leaning WAY back and grabbing food with one paw while I filled her dish. I sat and watched as Heidi, Fraidy, and Juliet ate as though they had just been air lifted off some deserted island and offered food for the 1st time in weeks. I enjoyed watching them, their little paws scrambling to shove the food in fast enough. I could have sworn that I fed them just last night and watched as Heidi ate her fill; yet there she stood shoveling food in her face like a contestant in a hotdog eating championship.

Running out of food, I left when the 6th starving face arrived. ...I think I got out just in time...

Valencia, PA(Zone 5b)

It is amazing what they can eat. I watch Maggie eat for hours. I have no idea where it is all going. One thing tonight, another coon challenged her for the peanut feeder on the tree. Maggie lost. First time. I figured it had to be another lactating mother or Maggie would NOT have lost to a male or a younger raccoon. I watched through the binoculars, and yep, I could see large teats. I always said a bitch fight (in dogs) was worse than a dog fight. And that must hold for coons, too. So tonight I did throw some grapes and peanuts into the pool before anyone came. Maggie was first and ignored it all. Finally one smarty found them and kept going back to the deep end and fishing out all the grapes, then wading in to get the floating peanuts. They are just interesting to watch. Maggie chased off a large male--and he really took off, too. I did get to feed one little one peanuts. They get so cute as they keep coming closer to you to get the nuts, but finally Kent let our dogs out and everyone disappeared. So, I called it a night. Karen

It may be harder to find some of their "normal" food items, like bugs and small rodents, on a rainy day. Or they're just plain spoiled and don't feel like getting wet with a long, frustrating hunt in the rain....

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

LOL -- i go with spoiled.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

He-e-a-y! Now is that any way to talk about my little darlin's? LOL

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Oh, but they are CUTE adorable spoiled darlins... isnt that the way kids should be?

looking forward to tonights update

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Oh, deep...dark...despair...

I don't know if I've stressed this, but every day since the pool arrived pretty much every raccoon has taken at least one "spin" around the pool. They've never been quite as overwhelmingly enthused about it as that 1st day, but they've never failed to get my money's worth out of it either. They no longer fight over it, but they still use it. They've just worked out a plan for sharing it more or less amicably.

Today as I was out doing some yard work, I poured the water out and rinsed the pool. Since I'm planning to finish the yard work back there tomorrow and will need to move the pool around, I figured I'd wait until tomorrow to refill the thing when I'm through. I didn't figure it would be a big deal if the pool were closed for one evening. Was I ever wrong - again...

Just as I had never dreamed they would be so excited to receive the pool, neither did I have any idea how despondent everybody would be over the empty pool. One by one, as they arrived each raccoon went over to the pool to gaze longingly at the big open chasm where the water used to be. To the raccoon, each of them got into the pool - at least once - and waded, forlornly around through the murky atmosphere it held before hopping out again. A few made more than one trip over to gaze into the emptiness, apparently hoping they had overlooked the water on their last visit. Oh, the despair...the pool is empty...the water is gone...

Well, obviously I'll have to be sure to refill that thing tomorrow. Won't they be excited when they arrive to see that - it's back!

This morning I ran out to get some groceries. I filled up on grapes, peanuts, apples, and eggs - forgot the bananas - again. I got the jumbo raw peanuts in the shell, and took some out with me this afternoon. There excitement at having peanuts again might have been more obvious had it not been eclipsed by the sorrow over the broken pool...

If you could only have seen them walking around in the empty pool...

Other than that everything was pretty much the usual: cat food, a few arguments, Juliet was back, HRH was there. Oh, and Heidi was eating up in front of me. At one point she sat way back and I could see her bare tummy. I could see that it was skin but by that time it was too darkish out for me to tell much more. I was surprised, however, that she exposed that much even briefly. She's still grumbling a lot.

Oh, and no sooner than I said [the other day] that they don't soil the area than someone left me this little prize last night (photo below - don't look if you're squeemish about such things). It looks like some kind of seed. I think it's the black cherries. There are 2 black cherry trees along the forest edge. Perhaps more within the forest. This seems to indicate that they are eating food from sources other than me, and that there is plenty of good, natural food around. I'm assuming it was the raccoons who left it, but don't know that for sure.

Thumbnail by DreamOfSpring
Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

maybe it was from who ever was the most upset about the pool being empty.

that would have been something to see.... them walking around the empty pool.
but they sure will be happy tomorrow.

Sure looks like raccoon-sized scat. I'm with tcs; perhaps it was an editorial remark aimed at the pool maintenance people. How terribly sad for the poor dears (and how funny it must have been to see). If you had any doubt about the pool's popularity, I'm sure you no longer do....

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

LOL at you guys!

Quoting:
"from who ever was the most upset about the pool "

Quoting:
"an editorial remark aimed at the pool maintenance people"

It was beside the pool, maybe 1ft away

Yup, sounds editorial to me....

Lyndonville, NY

And to empty the community pool on a weekend! The community must be outraged for sure. lol

Debbie

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

teehee.... how hot was it last night?
too funny Debbie... i agree.

I'm sure "Ma Cheryl" will have special treats for the kids tonight.... dont want to find more poop in the AM.
I bet that just about sent Widget over the edge.

terese

Lyndonville, NY

And um, Cheryl, not to be pushy or forward or anything....

please remember the camera! LOL

Debbie

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

LOL -- yeah -- its right by the door. ROFL

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Oh, yeah, when I took the pool down for mainenance, I didn't think about it being a party night.

By dusk the temp wasn't so bad, but it was in the 90's out there yesterday and with high humidity to boot. I don't envy them the fur coat. (You can't even wear a fur coat around here in the winter without sweating.) I bet a little dip in the pool does feel good to them after a day of sweltering heat.

Now, about that camera...I took you guys a photo yesterday. Didn't you see it attached to the post above? ;-D (I slay me.)

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Ok, Debbie, Terese, I'm taking the memory card to the door to meet the camera. Sometimes I take the camera out only to find it has no card. Once i get out there and grumpy Ms Heidi shows up to scarf down her food and fuss about her day with the kids, there's no going back for parts.

I have to get back out there and fill that pool. Less than an hour and a half till sundown.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Big oops!

Somehow against a million to one odds and dispite the fact that I put the card in the camera and checked the battery...I still managed to forget it. Sorry, I'll try again tomorrow. I was so busy out there with the hedge trimmer and the weed trimmer clearing the paths and cleaning up. Just before dark I dragged out the new lawn tractor. I was determined - before the day ended - to take it out for a drive and make sure I could get it through the gate (It's a 50" gate and the measured OD of the tractor is 48" IF I hold the flap up on the side shoot, so it's a tight squeeze.). Then I drove the noisy thing around the tiny lawn section to mow that area.

Afterward, I came inside and grabbed all of the treats: eggs, peanuts, red grapes, and 2 apples. With my hands and pockets full and so much going on, I managed to forget the camera. Actually, even as I was headed out I told myself that i was carrying all that stuff out there for nothing because after I'd rearranged all of the furniture, run power trimmers, and even driven the lawn tractor around just a few feet from the fence only minutes earlier it seemed most unlikely that the raccoons would even show up. That's not to mention that the neighbors were having a cookout in the backyard and the folks across the street were shooting off fireworks that sounded a lot like gunfire.

When I got back there I was totally amazed to see the limb of the Heidi tree jiggling even before I had a chance to set up. I filled all of the dishes and called out to welcome whoever was on the limb. To the cool, clean water in the pool I added apples, grapes, and peanuts. I kept some peanuts for Fraidy. The grapes were perfect - sweet, crisp, fresh. I sat on my bench and began alternately eating one and tossing one or two into the pool.

Juliet was 1st down. As soon as she saw the pool with all the goodies she hopped in and claimed it. Heidi showed up only a minute or two later and took her place at Station #2. Juliet was having a blast fishing peanuts out of the water. Every few minutes Heidi would raise her head and look over toward Juliet in the pool and you could just see her little paw tapping impatiently and know that SHE wanted to chase peanuts in the pool, but Juliet just wouldn't get out of the thing and share.

After a while Heidi started walking around the perimiter of the pool as if to let Juliet know that , "eh-Hem!" there were others waiting to use the pool too! Not only did Juliet not get out of the pool, but she started walking around the inside of the pool growling at Heidi. At one point when Juliet was on the far side of the pool, Heidi started to get in. For a moment there it looked like we were going to have a cat fight for sure.

I threw a grape just outside the pool hoping to attract one of them to it. Juliet hopped out to get the grape, and Heidi jumped in. Since by that time Juliet had eaten well over half the peanuts and it was Heidi's turn, I felt that worked out better than I could have hoped. Heidi stayed in the pool for a while and ate the rest of the peanuts. Juliet tried to reclaim the pool but that wasn't about to happen.

While all of this was going on, Fraidy arrived atop the fence. As she surveyed the area from the fence, I held peanuts in my outstretched hand for her to see and called to her. She went around via the vegetable garden to reach the area beside my bench where she sat eating the peanuts and grapes I'd held back. A little while later I looked up to see Juliet outside the pool on oneside and Heidi on the other. The seemed to be reinacting some Clint Eastwood drama; I could hear that music playing in the background. Each of them wanted to get into the pool. It was a stand-off. There was that music again.

About that time I remembered the eggs. I called to Heidi. She paused the drama and looked over at me. She knows her name; she knows that when I say, "Heidi" I'm addressing her specifically. The others seem to view it as a generalized greeting. Heidi knows that it is for her. I showed her the egg. She walked away from the pool and took a step toward me. I put the egg down and rolled it toward her, but Juliet saw it, too, and ran to get it. Heidi growled, but that didn't stop Juliet from grabbing the egg and running off with it. Heidi quite literally stomped her feet and threw some kind of ultra-brief mini tantrum as she watched Juliet make off with her egg. It was a move I'd not seen before.

Then, an incredible thing happened. I wish you could all have been there to see if for yourselves. When I say that Heidi understands when I'm talking to her, you may think I'm just imagining that, but you should have seen what happened next. Immediately, I withdrew the 2nd and last egg from my pocket. I wanted to give it to Heidi to replace the one the one she'd "lost", but I couldn't roll it to Heidi on the lawn as I'd done with the 1st one because Juliet was in that area eating her egg. When they are eating they each have a personal zone into which the others are not allowed.

Not knowing exactly how to deliver it to her, I held the 2nd egg out in my hand and called to Heidi. She started walking in what appeared to be the opposite direction, away from me. In fact, she was walking around the pool and around Juliet to come down the alley behind the pots toward me. It was nothing short of amazing. When I showed her the 2nd egg and called her name, she understood. I didn't know how to get the egg to her given the layout and positions of everyone at that moment, but she had understood and had walked around the others to come to me to get the egg. We were communicating! It was awesome.

When Heidi got about 1/2 way along the back alley on her way to me she saw Fraidy there in the gap at the end of the pots beside me. Heidi stopped. Like I said, unless they want to fight they all honor the zone around each other while eating. Heidi had been planning to come down that alley to reach me. Now she saw that Fraidy was "hiding" there behind the pots. But there was another small gap in the pots at about the 1/2 way point, approximately where Heidi was when she stopped. If she came through that gap she could approach me from the front. I called to her again, showed her the egg, and put the egg down in front of me. Again, she got it. She came throught the gap at the 1/2 way mark, walked up to me, reached out, grabbed the egg, and then rolled it back to a more comfortable place where she quickly bit a small piece off the top like a coddled egg and then sucked the contents out as though she were drinking a milkshake.

At that point I ran back to the house for more peanuts and the camera. When I returned, however, they were all gone, probably frightened off by the fireworks, having no one there to let them know that the sounds were not a problem. I've noticed before that if I'm out there telling them "it's ok", they'll weather the scarey sounds but if I leave they leave. I called them and waited for a while, but no one came back. They left apples and grapes in the pool and several dishes of cat food around so I knew they would be back eventually, but the mosquitos were chomping on me something awful, so I gave up for the night. (A little while ago when I let Widget out they were back there. I could tell that by the light in his eyes as he saw them and gleefully took off after them. I went back there after him. The pool was empty as were all of the dishes.)

Valencia, PA(Zone 5b)

I found that same "scat" right under a bird feeder that only the blue jays use, but it is also near the LittleOne tree where the coons do feed at night....so I guess it could be bird or coons. It looked like little round blue/black type berries with red seeds in-pretty much just like yours. I think I'd better make sure I get it cleaned up tomorrow in case it is coonie poop. I did find one normal one near the garden. Usually I just find it behind one really big, old tree. That must be the designated latrine. And let nature take care of it. As for the pool, everyone likes to get a drink out of it. Many-especially Maggie, ruler of all she surveys, likes to wade the whole way in and drink a lot of water. She will chase other guys away from the water, too. In her world, everything is Maggies--she rules, and lets whomever she allows to eat. Tonight just one was allowed when I was out there, so several went up close to the house to eat bird seed off the ground and dog food at the LittleOne tree. There was a really cute little one-littlest one I've seen so far. Hair was darker than most of the others (except Maggie). No one would let her eat, so I got near her and started throwing her peanuts. That was a hit and at least she got some peanuts. Then I threw some for the older one that was eating the dog food, so he had to chase it down. While he did that, the little one snuck in and gobbled a few bites of dog food down. Smart one. But the pool still is a hit with: Raccoons, the turkey (we call Lullabelle-visits several times daily) and the little red squirrels. I haven't seen the big squirrels or the chipmunks try yet, but I'm sure they will as there really is no source of water here except puddles, or a creek at the bottom of the hill that dries up frequently. I definately have to change it every 3-4 days, not just because of the mosquitos but because of the mud that collects on the bottom during that time. but it is so much fun to watch them. Tonght I threw peanuts on the water-that was a hit, but I believe Maggie got most of them. She is the party guest that comes early (around 7:30-8pm) and stays late. She's usually there when I get to bed. At least she keeps numbers managable. I get a bit nervous when there are raccoons all around me. I usually have a support stick and peanuts in my pocket-I need the stick since I sprained my ankle anyhow. I haven't had any problems so far. Most of them back up if I get too close to them.
Last night Ms. Stubbie was here. Maggie allowed her to eat. In my observation that she seems to let older/lactating remales eat. I still haven't been close enough to Stubbie to check out the vital areas. ;-)
That's about it from here. Now, now Cheryl, closing your pool for fathers day?? What a shame. What were you thinking HRH should have been able to have a leisurely swim, anyhow....He should get something special for Father's DAy :-) Let us know how the grand pool reopening is welcomed. Karen

Valencia, PA(Zone 5b)

OOPS, we were writing at the same time. I guess the reopening went very well. Karen

Bloomingdale, OH(Zone 6a)

Have you considered getting some "feeder" goldfish for the pool one night? That might be a great interactive treat!

I just love these stories!

mg

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Karen -- Yes, the pool reopening was well received. Glad to hear that things are going well with your guys as well. I know what you mean about how large crowds start to get scarey. For me, 3 is a really good number. Hope your ankle gets better soon.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Thank you, mg.

Oh, that should really be a riot to watch. I must remember to take the camera out for that! I had been planning to get some kind of small fish or minnows. The night when I picked up the pool I was in WalMart eyeing the fish longingly, but as I went there in the middle of the night that dept was closed. Still, as with the camera issue, it pays to remind me of these things; otherwise, they tend to get pushed to the back of the mind somewhere.

This is great: raccoon pool parties in PA and SC - the habit is spreading! And feeder goldfish are a great idea, and great training for the kids; but in Cheryl's hot climate, she'd probably have to do it right after she fills the pool, or she'd be serving the fish cooked instead of live...

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Cheryl,

fabulous story from last evening!!

so many things.... Juliet stealing the egg from Heidi, Heidi knowing her name (totally awesome), the pool standoff, Heidi figuring out how to get to you and the 2nd egg without "getting into others eating space".

What an evening!!

but sorry -- i just had to laugh when you mentioned you forgot the camera.

Terese

Lyndonville, NY

Yes, I did the same thing about the camera...almost spit the coffee out laughing. Somehow, it just didn't surprise me! LOL

Sounds like a wonderful night. I wish it was safe to do that around here, but we have had so many rabid coons this year in our area. Just Wednesday on the way back from DS soccor game, we saw one walking the middle of the road. He was definately ill. Another was spotted down by the school and they called animal control....it was 1:30 in the afternoon and he was out walking in circles, poor thing.

Now thinking....giant note...in bright red on the back door...CAMERA? LOL One of these days Heidi is just gonna tell you to go get the camera.

Debbie

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

I have an idea! Tie the camera strap around your wrist like they used to do with string around the finger..........then you will surely remember! LOL

Lyndonville, NY

I was thinkin of hanging the camera up on the birdfeeder...maybe those talented "kids" will just take pictures themselves. They are a smart crew! LOL

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

I had to chuckle this afternoon when I read the camera comments. You guys are too funny. ;-)

Now about some of your ideas for remembering the camera:

The back door is a french door so it's all glass except for a thin strips of wood around the panes. No really good place for a sign - besides, I bet I could walk right up to and open a door with a 6ft neon sign on it and STILL forget the camera! :-)
(But I like this idea. Once when I couldn't get my late DH to turn the water faucet off completely or something like that, I took red lipstick and wrote "Did you ..." all across the bathroom mirror just over the sink in huge letters so he couldn't shave without seeing it. No more excuses. The same day, my DFL came over to visit. I forgot all about the writing on the mirror when he asked to use the restroom. He came out laughing like crazy.)

You guys are probably visualizing one of those sleek, thin, light-weight cameras - something that could actually dangle from a wrist without causing a sprain. My camera is a big, bulky thing. It has a strap to fit around your neck but due to its size it sits so far out in front of me that I end up bumping it into things - not good. It's so heavy that it hurts my hand to take a lot of pictures. I have to put it down and shake my hand out to get the feeling back. It's so big that it's too big for my small hand. I can't hold it [in shooting position] and still reach the zoom button with my thumb; I have to use two hands to change the zoom. It weighs 1lb w/o the battery. That may not sound like a lot but imagine holding a can of tomatoes up in the air for a while and...Here is a photo: http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Coolpix-8800-Vibration-Reduction/dp/B00061S2OO/ref=sr_1_1/102-6358999-2876918?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1182220752&sr=8-1

----BUT----
Here's the good news: Thanks to all of your efforts to remind me, I actually did get photos and video tonight! YAY! But the bad news is I don't think I'll have time to post it tonight...but will do so soon. I think you will like the videos.

Debbie, so sorry to hear you're having an urpsurge of rabies cases this year. I remember when I was doing animal control that rabies seemed to run in cycles: very few cases for several years, then a year or two when it seemed to be an epidemic. The bad years were really depressing and disheartening; not a thing you could do for the poor guys but stop the pain and misery.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.