Photo thread two. It's peak season, share your pictures:

Denver, CO

Continued from:
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/726073/

This is why talk is bad- we are all bad influences on each other. I am the recent victim of my first Japanese maple.
'Asahi Zuru'

Thumbnail by ineedacupoftea
Denver, CO

A flakey picture of the leaves:

Denver, CO

Impulse buys are bad, too.

Denver, CO

And a suprise! This is my Southern/Sweetbay hybrid Magnolia today.
(K)

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

ok, Kenton, I'll bite - what's the name of the impulse buy? Why bad?

This is a part of the border that wraps around my vegetable garden.
I planted it last summer/fall, and is filling in quite nicely. Still looks pretty young, though.

Thumbnail by Katye
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Ever since you first mentioned Magnolia's on the Rocky Mt. Forum, I have been craving one. I am kind of at my property's limit for trees, though. The picture of that bud makes me crave one still more. I am going to have to look around again for a sunny spot. I think I would go with magnolia x soulangea, though.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

Ally, good spot on the Sphaeralcea munroana. I actually do have 2 of those, and am hoping to have lots of seeds. The only gripe I have with ti is the tendency to flop around, so you have to plant it among other upright things that will hold it up. Mine are presently leaning on Alliums, but next year I plan to mix them in with Walker's Low catmint.

Someone mentioned earlier that they thought the walker's low would self seed-- I have found a handful of self-sown babies in the rosegarden, but I have also found about the same number of russian sage sproutlets. I just transplant them were I want more.

Denver, CO

Paja, there are small and tiny Magnolia varieties out there, I don't know why I thought of this species, too:
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/77020/index.html
A Small hybrid with dark flowers:
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/80555/index.html

Katye, I think that bed is not overly juvenile looking, It probably looked mature two minutes after your picture. The rocks are nice.
Lilium 'Tango Halloween.' (Asiatic)

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Those are really lovely magnolias. Probably, if I cut down the weedy looking crabapple, I would select a zone 5 magnolia because I am chicken! There seems to be a nice selection for zone 5, but I admit that 'Vulcan' is knock-out. Maybe Magnolia 'Betty' would be a good choice.

Check out 'Betty':

http://www.lazyssfarm.com/Plants/Shrubs/M-R%20Shrubs/shrubs_trees_M-R.htm

This message was edited Jun 7, 2007 8:55 AM

Denver, CO

Mmm, not only does it look like a stunning small tree, it's a great namesake!
http://www.allisonvillenursery.com/MagnoliaBetty.htm

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

No ego on my part, of course. But I love the color, the fact that it tolerates shade -- the space I have is a bit shady, probably the problem with the crabapple, and it is a magnolia. Your tree might have been having trouble with the fact that it was its first bloom. I think sometimes plants a weak bloomers the first year. Let's cross our fingers for a really lovely flower this time. Maybe a little extra water right now won't hurt.

Denver, CO

You've got D-mail.
I'm doing that now. And it looks to have a second bloom. Geez, for a plant that I sited in a far too windy spot, it is so forgiving.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Two magnolia flowers in Colorado. That will be heaven.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

Jupiter's Beard & D.A. Rose "Brother Caedfel"

Thumbnail by greenjay
Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

D.A. Rose Molineux

Thumbnail by greenjay
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Oh, your roses are gorgeous, greenjay! I love Molineux.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

Molineux is my favorite yellow rose -- so far. But I planted a Graham Thomas right next to it, and it looks very promising in the catalogue. The GT specimen at DBG is not so fantastic, but I will give it a chance in my garden.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

How big do Molineaux and Brother Caedfel get in this part of the world? Not this year, but perhaps next, I will be interested in 3 or 4 rose bushes. Actually, I have one spot that could take one this year, come to think of it. Mine should be fairly large, at least 3 ft., 4 or 5 would be good. What would you recommend?

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

Molineux isn't too big -- about 3' x 3'. Brother C. can get very large, can even be used as a climber.

Both seem to flourish in FULL sun, as in 10 hours direct sun per day. I know they say that about all roses, but our intense high altitude is a bit much for some of them.

If you really need a big rose, and height, and cold resistance look to the Buck roses and rugosas.

Denver, CO

Our Trisha identified this for me, even with my flaky description.
Tenacetum densum.
A Xeric groundcover with fancy grey leaves.

Denver, CO

A common bigleaf hydrangea, white. Just planted...

Denver, CO

An annual, Plectranthus Mona Lavender.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

paja, I had a Magnolia soulangeana at my other place and lost the blooms to freeze at least every third year. I grow M. Jane here and am very happy with it. the blooms are very like M. soulangeana, and it blooms later and sporadically all summer. I will try to send along a photo.

Donna

Thumbnail by rutholive
Denver, CO

That's lovely; who is the very architectural tree behind it to the right?

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

It is one of three Sequoiadendron that I planted in1998. They have done very well.

Here is a photo of the basin for my garden Kaliedescope that My daughter gave me about three years ago. I wish there was some way I could take a photo of what I see when I look through the Kaleidoscope tube. It is so pretty. The brass kaleidoscope is about 4 feet tall and 30 or so inches wide,. It was built in Calif. and Cheryl had it delivered here. I have collected kaleidoscopes for many year, but this one is the largest. It has taken me these three years to find what is best to try to grow for color and in full sun. It is mostly small succulents now.

Donna

Thumbnail by rutholive
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Your daughter is very special.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

paja, You are very right, I just wish she lived closer. However she is talking retirement in a few years to the West Coast, probably somewhere in Oregon. She gardens under difficult conditions, She earns every bloom or veggie she gets from her garden.

I still have one flat of mixed seedlings I grew from seeds to get planted out in the garden. So that is my project for today. Here is a photo of my daughter by one of my Clematis.
Donna

Thumbnail by rutholive
Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Here is some mixed pots on my deck, early morning. The Heucheras are: on the left Carmel, and on right is Peach Melba. The fig behind is just showing tiny figs.

DonnaS

Thumbnail by rutholive
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Great picture! Both of the daughter and of the clematis. Nice that your daughter loves gardening as well. I still have many plants that need to go out. A couple of flats. I will be planting them today as well!

Denver, CO

Your daughter is very kind indeed. I hope you get to see more of her when she retires.

Those plants are all gorgeous. Which of the Heuchs do you prefer? Caramel or Peach Melba? The both do sound... delicious.

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

Donna, how lovely (both your gardens and your daughter). I hadn't seen any posts from you for a while (or wasn't on the right threads!) - good to hear from you.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Murmur too busy, playing with my daughter and trying to get all my seedlings into the ground. Finally finished that, the planting that is. Now I am again trying to get caught up with all the weeds.

Kenton, I think I like Peach Melba the best. Also have Marmalade planted out in the woodland garden area. I am surprised at how well the heucheras do planted in pots.

I will take another shot of the new this year, pots planted under and near the Autumn Purple Ash. The pots are beginning to fill out nicely now.

Donna

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Here is a photo I just took, not very good. It is difficult to get a good shot , as I have to take it early in the morning or wait for a cloudy day.

Donna

Thumbnail by rutholive

Fabulous collection of containers, Donna - beautiful!

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Thanks Murmur. Wish my daughter and I had had more time when we were on Whidbey Island a week ago. We only had 2 days and crammed as much as we could in those 2 days. Had a great time. Would have been nice to have met you. Which town are you nearest to.

Donna

I'm in between Langley and Coupeville (a little closer to Langley). I'm so glad you had a good time - what did you manage to fit in to such a short time?

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Cheryl was in charge of the coast time. Before we went to Whidbey we did the Chuckanut drive, very nice. Also drove most of the way to Mt. Baker. later in trip.

Then walked around sightseeing and some shopping in LaConner. Stayed two nights in Oak Harbor. Sightseeing thru Ft. Ebey State Park. The next day shopping stores not closed on Tues. in Langley. Lunch at Mike's place, excellent corned beef sandwiches Then shopping in Coupeville. Had a really nice meal at Christophers. We both have feet that make lots of walking difficult.

Cheryl gave me way too many birthday gifts on the 6th. then headed toward home. Stayed in Bothell and had a very nice meal at/jn the Bonefish. Spent some good time at Molbaks, where of course I bought some plants.

All in all a really fun birthday trip

DonnaS.

Denver, CO

Now that is an eventful and delightful trip, i'm glad you enjoyed it. Does your daughter like to garden as much as you do?

Those containers are marvellous- They look to me like they have a titanium glaze.

Annabelle Hydrangea, doing better than the mophead one, which wilted horribly and inexplicably.

Denver, CO

A friend's Clem. 'Jackmanii'

Denver, CO

Unnamed LA Lily. Longiflorum-Asiatic. These are the first to bloom for me.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.