Photo thread two. It's peak season, share your pictures:

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

You guys are always ahead of me so my pictures are reruns but this is the columbine busy making the garden alive.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

This is a Morden Sunrise Rose. I fell in love with these and plan a few complementary gallardia around to tie in the color.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Just another rerun but I thought this delicasy was worth a view.

This message was edited Jul 2, 2007 2:22 PM

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Had some fun at wall drug in S. Dakota last week.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Steve nice photos, especially the Thalictrum. Good picture of you and your blue hatted girlfriend. Here is a picture of my large pots area.

Thumbnail by rutholive
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Great flower pictures, Sof! I like the flower shirt, too. Here are some lilies surrounded by parsley going to seed. I think I sent a picture of them last year, but this is a brand new picture for this year. The pink ones haven't started. I will try standing on my head to photograph the tiger lilies later. I find it very difficult to photograph them due to their down facing blooms. Yet for the eye, I find them quite lovely.

Thumbnail by pajaritomt
Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

Kenton, the odd orange daylily (if you are not referring to the one labelled "Afghan Pride") is: Odd Orange Lily Obtained in a batch from Costco. Hemerocallis Costcoensis, to the botanically informed.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

One of the downsides of using horse manure (fresh or otherwise) is the seeds of the stuff the horses eat passes right through the horse and into your garden. The stuff I put on the rose garden was at least a year old, but I have had a number of truly fascinating "wildflowers" (a.k.a. WEEDS) that turn up, but there are also some cool things too. I have some giant wooley mullein, and a few thing that might turn out to be cool if only I knew what they were. Take, for example, this lovely thing, which grows about 3.5 feet tall, and has leaves like a rudbeckia, but flowers that more closely resemble wild gaillardia:

I just wish it hadn't decided to spring up right in the middle of some cerise and crimson and pink things. People will wonder if I have lost my mind and/or poked myself in the eye with a BBQ fork.

Thumbnail by greenjay
Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

Speaking of daylilies, is anyone in the Denver area interested in an outing to the Catlady's Daylily Festival on 7/21?

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Wow PJ your color AND texture are wonderful. Good combination!
Donna love the pots. I have some similar ones but they are for overwintering in the house and I don't put them outside. You know I have some stone work from Tonasket that is a georgeous red and yellow slate like stuff that I got when I visited our cabin last hunting season. (2 yrs ago) You need to go out and collect some and use it on the ground around those pots. That is before I come back and steal them all. LOL
We all have heard of nurse logs. So do you think this nurse log can fix my Serbian Pine?

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Sof,
Your poor Siberian pine looks hopeless. What happened to it? I have tried planting in a stump like that and it didn't work for me either. I suspect the log needed a lot of nitrogen to decompose and stole all the nutrients from the pine. What do you think happened?

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Steve I have to agree with paja, don't think your pine is savable. (didn't get the incorrect spelling) so guess okay.

Did you mean flat rocks in those colors or did you mean pottery. There was quite a bit of really lovely pottery made by a local potter many years ago. I have a couple of pieces. He has been gone now for too many years our loss.

There are nicely colored rocks in the hills around Riverside, but most on private land and the owner does not allow collecting. The flat rocks that were created by road blasting making new roadway up Mcglaughlin Canyon are pretty much picked over now. My husband and I hauled truckloads of rocks from that area in the 1950s. Wish i had them here now instead of at my other place.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Yes Donna there are lots of shale rocks up on Island Mountain. Behind where they have the big trade fair with all the hippies. A friend of mine has a cabin up there. Yes it is private areas.
No my serbian pine got killed last year from root strangulation ( I didn't check the root ball before I planted) and died in another location so I just put it in the empty stump to have the nurse log save it. I know that there is no hope just don't want to throw away a dream tree. I was real depressed loosing it.

Lolo, MT(Zone 4b)

My Mock Orange really put on a beautiful display this year. I trimmed back the honeysuckle to make it bushier at the bottom. It will grow up and along the chain link fence by fall.

Thumbnail by Florae
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

The combination of mockorange and honeysuckle is very nice. Mockoranges did very well here this year also. Not sure why so much better than usual.

Denver Metro Area, CO(Zone 5a)

Well, I've enjoyed all of the pictures (REALLY liked the Wall Drug shot of that Belle-flower)! Here are a couple from our gardens:

Thumbnail by mtnmama

Here is one of our pond-bloomers doing its thing:

Thumbnail by mtnmama
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

mtnmama,
Your flowers and butterfly are beautiful! A waterlily in the desert is so exiting. And that little tiny plant all over between the lilies reminds me of a plant we have in Louisiana and Mississippi -- Duck Weed. It gets so thick it looks like you can walk on it. They jokingly call it Cajun astroturf. I don't know if that is what you have but it sure looks like it.
Daylilies right after our 1 minute rain shower.

Thumbnail by pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

And this one is daylily, Strawberry Candy. It's color has improved with age.

Thumbnail by pajaritomt

Cajun astroturf, huh? My DH is from Louisiana! Yep...it's duckweed:)

Pretty pics of the daylilies, Betty! I'm inspired now. I'll get into my daylily garden one morning, soon....

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

Pretty classic picture of delphinium and lilies. Just wish I could get the delphinium to stand up straght. Next year I will resort to supports

Thumbnail by greenjay
Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

This swallowtail was absolutely in LOVE with Kenton's favorite orange daylily. He spent a good 10 mins. slurping up the nectar in this flower, pumping his wings the whole time.

Thumbnail by greenjay
Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

same as above, 5 mins later

Thumbnail by greenjay
Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

Jude the Obscure (foreground) and Queen Elizabeth (background)

Thumbnail by greenjay
Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

I like all of the different textures in this section -- it catches the light just after dawn really well

Thumbnail by greenjay
Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

Same section, from another direction

Thumbnail by greenjay
Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

Benjamin Britten & companions

Thumbnail by greenjay
Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

Red/Yellow border

Thumbnail by greenjay
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Those are magnificent pictures, gj. You have really done a wonderful job of landscaping that property. The roses are stunning.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Wow, haven't been to this thread in a while -- very lovely, everyone!

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

Oh, you ain't seen nothing yet!

Yesterday I got a preliminary go-ahead to create a budget & proposal for the white/green extension to the rosegarden next to the clubhouse. Seems th new treasurer on the board wants to make the clubhouse a profit center -- or at least make it break even. To do that (i.e. charge more for rentals & expand amenities) we have to spiff up the outside of the pool & clubhouse area. I've been working on the plan for over a year, and now I get to make it happen (probably). I want an area that will be comfortable for lawn parties (stone paths, seating under the trees) and picture perfect for May-June events like graduation parties & wedding parties.

Say good bye to more junipers, say hello to Sissinghurst West.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Wow GJ! Rose gardens are fabulous for weddings all summer. I, myself got married in the one at Los Alamos on Labor Day Weekend and the only regret I had was that Fuller Lodge, where we hoped to have the reception had not yet reopened from restoration. But it had a wide portal and we had our reception there and managed to stay out of the rain and to keep the harp dry. ( Getting married outdoors brings special musical problems.)
I say that you are in for a lot of work with a big payoff. Even if nobody rents it, think how much the residents will enjoy it. The kids might even learn to appreciate a nice garden.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Barbara Mitchell daylily.

Thumbnail by pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Hemerocallis WalMartensis pinkish

This message was edited Jul 10, 2007 3:08 PM

Thumbnail by pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Orange lily that snuck in with a bunch of other lilies. At the end of bloom season, it will move to the front yard with the orangey and short lilies.

Thumbnail by pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Orange tiger lilies among parsley flowers.

Thumbnail by pajaritomt
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Wow you guys it is a beautiful delivery of spectacular sites. Especially the 'Barbara Mitchell' daylilly Paj. I'm up in Juneau AK working and only have a large palate of green with massive amounts of Goats Beard everywhere in the forests.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

I certainly hope it is cooler there in Juneau. Yesterday got to 102 degrees here in the coolest shade. Today is supposed to be hotter with T & L strikes. We sure don't need any lightning started wild fires. The daylilies here are holding up pretty good but difficult to keep them watered.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Daylily All the Riches.

Thumbnail by pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Daylily Little Lassie

Thumbnail by pajaritomt

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.