JUNE THREAD 2007

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Well, I trying to get front step paint and it been raining for couple of days now.... Please make rain go away! lol...

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

NO!!! We need rain! Rain,rain, rain!!! LOL

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Our little Jack/Rat is an older dog tho I just got her out of shelter last July. She had been a puppy mill breeding dog and the owners drove off and abandoned about 16 dogs, mostly Jack Russells. She was suppose to just be 18 months but I knew better than that. It was obvious that she had just weaned a litter of pups but nothing was said about them. When you want a dog and they have the power to keep you from getting it you just go along and agree with whatever they say. This was a very small shelter, personally operated by 2 women with huge hearts for animals so they were just glad to have someone want the dogs and give them good homes. She was already spayed when I got her. I never did find the Frontline I needed in Sedalia so I got some Sargent's Gold for her. I hear great reports on that product. I gave her Benadryl this morning but broke another Claratin in half for her this evening. It will last for 24 hours instead of just 4 like Benadryl does. She seems more calm now. Melatonin is an odd med to give for allergies, isn't it? I'll have to do some research on that. I take it often to help boost the effects of the Restoril I take for insomnia. I would rather do something natural if possible. I used Nature's Best(?)for old Hogan a couple weeks ago. He smelled like a Christmas kitchen for a few days. It seems to be working ok for him. I also use a spray I got at MFA that is for livestock & dogs. He has learned that being sprayed is a good thing. Penny has yet to learn that. Your little Rat Terrier is a doll. We use to breed them many years ago. I love the terriers. They are so fearless, never seem to get old until they are really old and life has been hard on them like our little Penny, and are so affectionate. Our Rat Terriers never had flea problems tho. And that was before the days of spot on flea stuff. So Penny's problem is a real shock to me.

Brenda, I may have picked up that iris at PG yesterday. Someone had a lot of small rhizomes in a box for free so I got several. I think I already have it, but since few of the iris bloomed this spring I didn't see it. I think I know where it is tho. Anyway, I took the little ones from PG just in case I have lost the old one. I'll be glad to share with you.

I have been up since 5 this morning. I took an elderly friend to the food pantry this morning and we wanted to be there about first. We actually were first. So she got right in and I had her back home by about 10:30 at the latest. She lives about 30 miles from me so I had her call me at 5 and again at 6 to make sure I had really gotten up and stayed up. I spent most of the afternoon in town running errands, taking another friend to do some things, etc. Finally got home about 3:30 this afternoon. I went right out and started weeding while the soil is still nice and soft. It has been raining off and on since yesterday. Pretty hard sometimes. I heard someone say Sedalia had 3" by this morning and they had some good hard short rains during the day. I had to buy another rain gauge today since the old one now leaks. It is several years old tho. I got the same kind. Made in the USA. Just a large tube with a wide brimmed top and a red floater inside to show the level of the water. I forgot to set out a pail yesterday to catch rain so I could measure it. But the wheelbarrow is nearly full. I'm going to guess we have gotten about 4" out here in the past 36 hours. And it is still raining off and on.

Pepper, your new kitty is really pretty. Nice contrast in colors so the tabby pattern shows up well. We have one cat who doesn't get along well with other cats no matter how long they live here.

GOD bless and keep each of you.

EvaMae, those irises I brought in. LOL. My grandma has had them over 20 yrs in the same bed and needed to divide it. She still isn't done dividing that bed. lol.

Curly got his first shot today. He also has a tick in his butt that won't come out. He is still doing great. Whsikers disappeared today so he's still pouting. He does that sometimes. Just hope he does come back.

Went out and weeded one of my beds earlier. I was throwing the weeds behind me into the woods but instead of going into the woods they went right back into the yard. lol. Luckily most of it was grass.

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Oh my, I would be delighted to get some more of that iris if it's the same as the photo I posted EvaMae. And hilarious that it is Pepper's grandmother's iris afterall.

Let me know EvaMae and I'll send you postage if you wouldn't mind dropping them in the mail to me.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Pepper, Campho Phenique will make the tick turn loose pretty quickly with no pain to the kitty. I use it often for that. If it doesn't turn loose, just leave it on good and thich or put some thick stuff like vasoline on it. That will smother the tick and make it turn loose as it dies.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I'll be glad to share with you, Brenda. Dmail me your address & I'll get them sent out next week.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I took this pic this morning as daylilies bloom yellow!

It's about 7 inches in diameter... I got this daylilies at IARU last May 5, 2007...

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Here's what I found this in my long bedding pot...Tiny yellow mushrooms!

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

Brenda i think that iris is ' Indian chief ' its a oldie
Superstition Iris Garden caries it

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

ewwww those mushrooms look very different than the ones I see in my yard when it rains alot.

Thx Tazzy. EvaMae is sending me some. Good to put a name to it.

Well, I think we got over 6 inches of rain at work these last 2 days. We actually got flooded out in some areas. The island garden and the arbor were flooded when I left this morning. At the island the water was half-way up the wall when I left. Our roads were flooded in places and the lake was higher than I have ever seen it.

I left about 10:45 this morning since I was losing my brakes on my golf cart, it was getting treacherous, and because I was so wet I was squishy and left water where ever i went. My jeans were so wet it wasn't funny. My boss kinda laughed when he saw me and let me go home. I was really happy cause I was also getting cold.

When I finally left I went to take the gravel road that would take me to Z hwy and didn't get very far on there because it was flooded out really bad over by the bridge. I talked to some guys who were there then we all left and I went to take Z hwy home. Well, I get by a major subdivison there called Oakshire and there was water over the road there. Luckily it wasn't bad enough we couldn't get thru. We just had to be careful. I made it thru there and there weren't anymore high water spots. It was a crazy day for everything around here.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Here's next morning that I took this pic nice look alike umbrella mushrooms!

Thumbnail by JuJu55

They do look like umbrellas. lol. Well, my mom had to take Curly to the vet today to get a tick out of his butt hole. He got a checkup and another shot and is good to go. While there she found out that the vet there knows Yubi, our greenhouse cat at work, and also talked to a woman who is in charge of the fireworks every year at PG. PG must be even more flooded than when I left yesterday because from what mom understands the fireworks have been cancelled. I think the water even has made it to the Chapel but I could be wrong on that count. I am gonna call later today or tomorrow to find out.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Oh my, Pepper, that would be terrible if the chapel at PG got water damage. There seems to be flooding everywhere now. I need to check the basement. I haven't heard the sump pump running but one of the boys may have disconnected it or even used it and not replaced it. It has been so long since we have had water like this I didn't even think of it sooner.

The new rain gauge says we have had 2" of drizzle, hard showers, etc. in the past 2 days or so since I got it.

Must get ready for work. GOD bless and keep all of you.

I don't know for sure if the water has gotten that high or not. The Chapel does sit pretty high. If any of it has water it will be the basement. And actually my closet had water yesterday but when I was still there the bathrooms didn't. But that was early morning. I left before 11am so who knows. Gonna see if anyone is at work by email right now then in a little while call the front desk.

Ok, I went to the PG website and they have moved the fireworks to next Friday-July 6th.

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

I've had 4.4 inches so far since the rains started on Tuesday night. A little more than 1 inch per day average. Yuck!

Our backyard is starting to flood again. Thought we were getting awfully lucky not having standing water yet. The previous days were start and stop rain showers. Today it's been raining non-stop since about 8:30 am (maybe earlier) and so the water is starting to stand. We have a pump running but it's only able to keep up with the rain and is not taking the water down further. At least it's not going any higher.

God bless everyone and stay safe.

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

Lane is a small city surrounded on three sides by 2 branches of the Pottawatomie River. And now the rains have come.

The following pictures are are series of shots around Lane. They take place over 2 days- Friday the 29th (which is one day after the rain) and Saturday the 30th (it started raining again). To show where Friday ends and Saturday begins, the two days will be separated by a photo of phal orchid 'Uniwai Blush' which is blooming right now (whoo hoo!) Please read the captions because they explain where the photos are taken.

To get started, click on "slideshow" which is right above the first photo. Some photos require more reading time. Move your mouse and a "pause" button appears.
http://picasaweb.google.com/NuttySeedling/Flood20070630?authkey=ulx7FqAJInw

This message was edited Jun 30, 2007 4:01 PM

Wow!! My dad just got home from a job he had to do and he said the creeks are high but not flooding in most places yet around here. Course we are more on the northern part of the rain system. The further south you go the more flooding there is.

Lane was just on the news.

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

Wow!! I didn't think that a little town our size would make it even in the local news!

I managed to get a video of how fast the water is going. The East exit out of town is flooded. And more houses are going underwater. I said before that everyone is outside watching the water. When they saw the houses going underwater, they all started helping move furniture out of houses.

http://picasaweb.google.com/NuttySeedling/Flood200706302?authkey=2_RAd6o8f4Q

And still raining...

They talked to the woman who measures the river, a 73 yr old man, and a bunch of others. Showed a propane tank tied down, railroad tracks under water, some roads and signs under water, etc.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

How terrible for all those living in those areas of flooding. One is so helpless to do anything but watch and try to get as much as possible as high as possible or even out of the area. With flooded roads evacuation can be difficult too. A friend in Sedalia called this afternoon while I was at work and said Pettis and several surrounding counties are under flash flood warnings now. We have beeen under flash flood watch for a couple days already. No high water right in this area but I'm sure there is some not too far away.

There is now 2 1/2" of water in the rain gauge. The wheel barrow is running over. Water is standing in any low area in the yarden and fields. I will go out tomorrow and see more of what is under water here in the yarden. Makes for easier weeding unless the roots are holding tightly to the mud. In that case it is so heavy to lift and shaking it off is a real problem.

My poor little Penny dog is having a terrible time with the skin on her hip and pelvic areas. I have been giving her Claratin & sometimes benadryl and keeping heavy ointments on her skin but it is still getting worse. When I got home a bit ago I gave her 1/4th of one of my 10 mg. Prednisone pills. I've been putting a vits. A, D, E, and Omega oil suppliment on everyone's food but can't see that it is helping any. I don't see any fleas, so this must have something to do with the grasses, etc. when she goes out to potty. She does a lot of scratching as soon as she gets outside and often in the house. I must find time to get her to a vet Monday or Tuesday. I used a cortisone cream on her tonight. I wonder what her former owner used on her? Of course there is no way to find out since they abandoned all the poor dogs.

We had 37 at the cafe' tonight. Just a steady stream of people from about 5 pm until we closed at 8. I think the last order actually came back to the kitchen about 7:20 or so. It was a MW steak which was so thick it took almost 20 minutes to cook it. I bought one for myself and will probably use it as a small roast. I got frozen veggie mix for a roast at the food pantry this month and they will go well with it. Garlic cheese biscuits sound good to go with it too.

GOD bless and keep each of you.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Try for Cod Liver Oil for stop itches...

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

EvaMae - sounds like you may need to get her to the vet after all. I know there was something the vet prescribed for our Sunshine but can't for the life of me remember the name. Benadryl helped in mild cases. She had severe flea allergy but also a terrible grass allergy. Maybe that's what yr girl has too especially if she was in a cage all the time being bred.

Time to start a July thread.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.