Giant Pumpkins

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

I've become hooked on this thread too - GROW GROW !!!

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

growing like a tree

Thumbnail by CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

So, i cut that bigger female off and cut her in half and rubbed it on the cracks on SouthernBella so it would help heal the cracks. The sap from a fruit will help heal cracks.

This message was edited Jul 20, 2007 12:12 PM

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

This Castor Bean grows 25 feet from the pumpkin plant. It gives the garden a tropical look.
I don't know where else to post this castor bean. Its not edible as far as I know but most grow them in gardens to keep the moles away. Poisonous Plant. But so pretty. It does have tiny red flowers that produce seed pods. The flowers are so small that you cannot really see them from afar.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

This Castor Bean is also by far the largest I have ever grown. It is in full sun and they will grow much taller if grown in partial shade due to stretching. It now stands about 8 feet tall but I have not put a measuring tape on it.
The seed pod cluster is enormous. I have plenty to share this fall.
I want to grow many of these next year. Beautiful plants.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

This is my kind of daytime drama. Just amazing what can come of one little seed.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Yeah, Sally!!!!

The heck with daytime Soap Operas.......All fake drama!
THIS is real!!!!!

I am rooting for you too--cricket!

Gita

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

cricket - just wondering, how many pies can be made from a 300 lb pumpkin?

Toledo, OH(Zone 6a)

Why pie r squared!

Tri-Cities, WA(Zone 7b)

No, pie r round.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Tsk....tsk.....Such sharp minds around here.....
VERY clever comeback, Tropic!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Dea pointed me in the direction of this thread and I've spent the last twenty minutes reading it. I read parts aloud to my mother-in-law, who's sitting out here on the patio, showing her some of the pictures, too.

GO PUMPKIN!
GO PUMPKIN!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Isn't it so wonderful that cricketgarden shares this with us. Horay!!!!
Oh btw, may I reserve some seeds of the castor beans please.
Kim

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

I am just looking for a pie!

Los Angeles, CA(Zone 10a)

I'll take some roasted pumpkin seeds...and a piece of pie!

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

I don't know how many pies it would make. I wouldn't know where to begin figuring that one.
Saving Kim some castor bean seeds.

in the past several days the pumpkin seems to gain weight like this : 14lbs, 7lbs, 14lbs, 14lbs, 4lbs.
I dont know what I am doin wrong. maybe with all the rain, most nutrients have flushed away. I'll be spraying it with Vigor Calcium this morning. Applying mild dose of liquid fertilizer every day. (1 tsp per gallon).
I cut off all the tips of the vines yesterday except for two. Maybe this will bring the pounds back up per day.
Had sunshine til 11am yesterday, rest of the day was completely cloudy but no rain. It rained south of us. Next 4 days should be 100%sunshine. See if that makes a differance.
She growing awfully slow. Day 33: 99-68-77 244 OTT 304lbs.
Tomorrow better be higher or im goin to worry . I gotta push it.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I have been following this thread and am rooting for you!! I grew what I thought was a large pumpkin a few years ago for my grandaughter. It ended up weighing 120lbs. and she thought at the age of 5 that it was a giant. I'll have to show her this one......she'll be blown away!!
Good Luck and I hope you surpass your goal!!!!!!

Cochise, AZ(Zone 8b)

GROW!! GROW!! GROW!! GROW!! GROW!! GROW!! GROW!! GROW!! GROW!! GROW!! GROW!! GROW!! GROW!!

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Bake! Bake! Bake! Bake! Bake! Bake! Bake! Bake! Bake! Bake! Bake! Bake!

I'll gladly Eat Eat Eat Eat!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

So how fares our Bella today?

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

Dyson, you crack me up ! LOlololololololllllllll ☺

Barrington, IL(Zone 5a)

cricket, you are amazing!!! when do you sleep?

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

I sleep.
Sorry I been away from my computer. Have family from Iowa, and out of town family here. Tragidy in family. My Mother's twin sister's daughter(my cousin) was caught on fire by methane gas and has 3rd degree burns on 50% of her body. Beyond imagination.

Anyway, The pumpkin stopped growing. I dont know why. Maybe I gave it too much potassium and it rippened too fast. The bottom was not split or cracked.
I cut it off the vine yesterday July 25th measuring 100 "-68 1/2" -771/2" =246"OTT estimating 311 lbs. I didn't win state record but the Daily MOuntain Eagle News Paper will be here in the morning at 10am for pictures and interview. EKKKKK.
After the interview I will cut it open and take pictures. Hoping to make pumpkin bread and pies if its not too late.

Just as I cut it from the vine pic:

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Also on the same plant is two new babies about to blossom in a few days. I will pollinate them both and see which ones grow the fastest and keep the fastest. NEVER GIVE UP HOPE. Also dont forget that I have another plant that will also pollinate in another week, give or take a few days. ALL IS NOT LOST YET.

picture of the bottom side--no splits no cracks

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Picture sitting up right

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

another picture sitting up right

Toledo, OH(Zone 6a)

Whoever that is standing next to the giant pumpkin looks so small!

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Its final resting place for viewing by on comers

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Wow, still very large! Your cousin is in my prayers, as are the rest of you in the family. Wow, tragic is right. (((hugs)))

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

I'm surprised it stopped growing, the vines still look very healthy. They usually start to die back once the pumpkins ripen. :o(

Wishing your cousin well.

Red

Cochise, AZ(Zone 8b)

Know that we are thinking of you and your family. Take care, Sue

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

Will be keeping your cousin in my prayers. You did a great job on that pumpkin!

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Thank you for the prayers.

You can keep the vines growing way after the pumpkin ripens. Depends on the weather in each area and rather or not they get powdery mildew. Most get powdery mildew if not treated on regular basis.
This pumpkin plant is already 118 days old. Many don't get to live as long as this one has.
The average plant lives 120-150 days depending on the zone and cool temps.
Most all the main vine leaves have been cut off due to aging but all secondaries still look pretty good. If kept healthy--it would keep on growing as long as frost don't kill it. Just like an indeterminate tomato plant.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

It's had a good, long life for a pumpkin.

RIP (Rest in Pies)

Danbury, CT(Zone 6a)

That's the best looking giant pumpkin I've seen! They usually look so misshapen. Good growing.

I was wondering where you were and what happened to the pumpkin. Thanks for updating the thread.

Sorry about your cousin. It is unimaginable what she must be going through. Anything a person can say, just seems inadequate.

Jen

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Ditto to what Jen has stated. Wishing your cousin speedy recovery, and pray for the Doctors and their staffs on caring for her.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

I think things are back on track now. The family members are about to go home. I been sharing my computer with them so they could do their emails and mail pictures, etc.......

I have lots of pictures

Saturday there was a preview of the pumpkin for Sundays paper.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Saturday--son poses with pumpkin

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Another pose

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Wow, that last one really makes it look big!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.