Let's post historics

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

What a nice long tongue! Reminds me of Boojum the dog!

Thumbnail by boojum
Greensboro, AL

Hey, you guys! (girls) I thought I had my historic list all made up. Now I have to start all over again.

Gold Hill, OR(Zone 7a)

Maybe all of you historic Iris growers could help ID this one. hopefully I have it right ...
I have it tentativly ID'd as 'SAN FRANCISCO' (Mohr-Mitchell, R. 1927)
It grows about 40" tall, the flowers are large and very fragrant, (reminds me of baby powder), early-mid bloomer. Flowers fade as they age.

DebiV

Thumbnail by Scorpioangel

Love the reddish lines! But I'm new to historics so I can't help. Demi-Deuil bloomed (and bloomed and bloomed) today. This is the one you traded me, Laetitia, yes?

This message was edited Jun 2, 2007 12:18 PM

Thumbnail by boojum

Close-up.

Thumbnail by boojum
Texas/Okla central b, United States(Zone 7b)

Anita .....are you saying to put pea gravel around the rhizome or bury it around the plant?

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

It is part of my garden soil mix

Beaver Falls, PA(Zone 6a)

I love all of your historics! I got interested in them from a plant that my parents had at their house for years and survived neglectful gardening. I got it ID'd as Shah Jehan, Neel 1932 TB. Now, I am looking to increase my historicals. I also have Flavescens, which bloomed for me and still has one bud left to open, and Wabash, which did not bloom. Thanks to cbrandenburg, I just planted Helen Collingwood, Cherry Garden, and The Red Douglas.

I really like the idea of growing exactly the same plant that gardeners grew 50, 100, or even more years ago!

Here a picture of "the Shah," as I call him.

Linda

Thumbnail by Igrowinpa
Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

Hi Linda

My Shah Jehan and plum wine you gave me have not sent up a bloom stalk yet but Baby Blessed and Lo Ho Silver are blooming big time. Our iris season will peak next weekend. How's your Light At Dawn coming along? That too is a historic ensata. Can show you what that will look like. (Marx,1957) 34" M.

This message was edited Jun 5, 2007 12:51 AM

Thumbnail by Mainer

Hi Juliana,

I owe you an email and will be sending you one! I'm sorry that you didn't have flowers on Shah Jehan and Plum Wine this year. Your Plum Wine will probably bloom in the fall. Sometimes it takes a while for the Shah to get settled in. Once he does, however, you can't pry him out!

I am tickled to learn that Light At Dawn is an Historic Ensata. Mine is growing slowly and I still have hopes that I may see the flower this year, which is just gorgeous by the way. Thank you for showing your picture! Sky Wings is blooming right now - what a beautiful color it is! And daylily Destined To See has a scape already. I can't tell you how pleased I was to see SW bloom, and now to have a scape on DTS. Thank you so much for sharing with me!

Linda

Newfoundland, NJ

Boojum:
Yes, that is the one I sent you DEMI DEUIL (now don't ask me how to pronounce it..I just call it Demi Dweel).
It sure is a strange little one. Glad to see it bloomed for you.
Laetiita

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Seashell Music

Thumbnail by Elizabethtown
Madison, WI

Beautiful flowers! I was trying to find more information on historic irises posted, but
don't seem to get much luck with most. For example, I found nothing but 2 pictures of Favori by Cayeux 1934. What are the on-line sources that you use?

Laetitia, if pronounced as French: Doo (like book) mee-Duh-ee. (eu=uh, il=ee) (like "doy" only not as bright.)

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Ev,

Here's one I really like. These are the pictures for Superstition Iris Gardens. Go halfway down the page, and you'll see the historics. If you don't have a catalogue from them, this is one to get. The catalogue will have all the descriptions, dates itro'd etc. I have read numerous times their historics are amongst the best as far as being accurate. Their prices are excellent, also.

http://community.webshots.com/user/rickt103

Newfoundland, NJ

Boojum:
Thanks for the French pronunciation lesson. Do you know what it means? I think I read somewhere it meant half daylight or half day, half night, or something like that.
Laetitia

Madison, WI

Polly, Thank you for the info. Great resource!

I think it means mourning or grief. Maybe half grief is some kind of expression??

Sugarbean1, what zone are you in? I really like the colors on I Spy and am wondering if I could get rebloom here in zone 6a. Of course, even with no rebloom, a clump of I Spy would be a beautiful site.

Linda

I found out that there used to be very specific grieving protocols and after a chunk of time you would move to the demi-deuil period.

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Fyi - DEMI DEUIL means half mourning.

Greensboro, AL

boojum: that makes more sense. It must be an "idiom" not a literal translation.

Brewster, MA(Zone 6b)

Re: Demi-Deuil (Half-mourning)

In Regency times, after the loss of a spouse one would wear for a year what was called "full mourning," meaning one only wore black, followed by a six-month to one-year period of wearing what was called "half-mourning", during which one would wear only gray, or lavender, or some other non-black yet somber shade.

(Which is why Queen Victoria's choice to wear full mourning for the rest of her life after Prince Albert's death was so unusual.)

On a completely different note, here's i. subbiflora.

Well, that's what its marker says.

But now I'm wondering if it might not be -- Perfection?

(It's in a bed where perfection is supposed to be, and all these new iris have gotten very mixed up.)

Thoughts, anyone?

This message was edited Jun 8, 2007 11:17 PM

This message was edited Jun 9, 2007 12:02 AM

Thumbnail by constance22
Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Knotty Pine SDB 1959 Goett

Thumbnail by avmoran
Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

My mid-season Tb's are just starting to bloom

Cayenne Capers

Thumbnail by grannymarsh
Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

Java Dove.
The colors are so creamy and subtle

Thumbnail by grannymarsh
Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

This unknown, I think it might be Gudrun. Any other suggestions? It's very graceful.

Thumbnail by grannymarsh
Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Beautiful Marsha! It's nice to see them blooming in MI! :)

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Granny that might be White City or Anitra both begin a very light blue almost white and fade to white

Here is White City that I got from the Spoons

Thumbnail by avmoran
Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

It starts out white and stays that way. Impressive bloom size, almost 7 inches from top to bottom. It and 3 other oldies were here when we purchased the house. This is the first year the others have bloomed & I haven't a clue to their identities either. ( First they had to be unburied)
I like that little swoop action going on at the bottom of the falls. It's consistant on all it's flowers.

If anyone is growing Gudrun, would they consider fostering one of my white lovely lady rhizomes to make a positive ID ? I posted at HIPS with zero response. Mmmm.

Roni: How is the dahlia drowning going this year?

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Marsha: Go to the Need Advice on New Dahlia Bed thread in dahlias for a full report... :) Am trying to find the thread with the list of "great medians" for starters where you posted a list of "potential trades" I can't find it, but I want one of each maybe ;-)

Roni

Newfoundland, NJ

A few more.
Here is ALASKA...rare SASS IB. It has a perfect tailored form. New for me this year.

Thumbnail by Sugarbean1
Newfoundland, NJ

Here is ALMOND BLOSSOM. Gorgeous shade of baby pink.
Laetitia

Thumbnail by Sugarbean1
Newfoundland, NJ

Here is another one with unusual and interesting coloring .Golden Flare.
Laetitia

Thumbnail by Sugarbean1
Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

Demi-deuil

Thumbnail by grannymarsh
Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

Anne Newhard - close up and personal

Thumbnail by grannymarsh
Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

Amas
I like details, can ya tell?

Thumbnail by grannymarsh
Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

I love the form of Alaska and the colors on AN... just wonderful pics too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.