Let's post historics

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Gypsy Queen

Thumbnail by avmoran
Brewster, MA(Zone 6b)

That's the best picture of Jacquesiana ever. Beautiful.

Maybe we need a thread for sledgehammer historics. My Accent is like a weed -- I used to hate it, because it had completely overrun the garden. Now we're on better terms. Usually Wabash runs wild, too, but not this year, or not yet. Lots and lots of Velvet Dusk, suddenly, if that's what it is. Go figure.

Or how about whiny historics, like Ma Mie. It came out shyly last year for the first time ever, so I moved it to a sunny spot to make it happy. It's not happy. It's sulky and refusing to bloom at all. Looks just as half-dead as ever.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Hmmm .... It's not Gypsy Queen or Bold Imp. It's an older variety. A rather small flower. The standards are a grey poupon mustard color and the falls are a deep purple with white background. Both heavily veined.

There are some real beauties in the historics.

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Caliente TB 1967 Luihn

Thumbnail by avmoran
Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Cayenne Capers TB 1959 Gibson

Thumbnail by avmoran
Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Cherry Garden SDB 1966 Jones

Thumbnail by avmoran
Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Comanchero TB 1963 Tompkins

Thumbnail by avmoran
Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Concord Velvet TB 1952 Crosby

Thumbnail by avmoran
Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Copper Strike MTB 1968 Witt

Thumbnail by avmoran
Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Crimson King IB 1893 Barr

Thumbnail by avmoran
Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Eleanor Roosevelt IB 1933 Sass/McDade

Thumbnail by avmoran
Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Fall Fullfillment TB 1972 Smith

Thumbnail by avmoran
Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Faustine TB 1859 Lemon

Thumbnail by avmoran
Greenwich, OH

Avmoran:Your irises are stunning!I ordered the cherry garden iris.How tall does yours get?
The Blue doll,cayenne caper,Comanchero has to be my top 3 favorites.

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Wow Anita -- how'd you successfully capture the brown in GQ. I know mine is GQ because it came from you several years ago, but how'd you do that with the photo?

I have Crimson King but I'm not wild about him because it flops everywhere. :(

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Elizabethtown:
The best time to take pictures and get near perfect colors is to do so in AM before sun fully up especially for light pastel colors and more especially for whites (actually all bets are off with whites I get very few good pictures of White Iris unless there is some color in them). I am lucky becasue I have hugh oaks on the eastern edge of the property and have a natural filter from the bright sun until about 9 AM. Cloudy days are also good as long as not too cloudy or dark clouds.

With Crimson king Divide and give off often and LIME alot he loves high pH ~ 7.5+ also give him some pea gravel to wrap his roots around. Keeping the clumps small and liming I think you will see a BIG difference. This is true for a lot of the iris that fall they either need something as far as lime, food etc. need little stones or pea gravel to grab onto or in some cases they are just weak. There are too many of the moderns with stems that are just not strong enough to hold up a big flower
:)
A

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Thanks I'll try that.

Greenwich, OH

Indian chief always blooms nice for me.

Thumbnail by skimper
Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

My iris bed grows moss which I'm always pealing off in the spring. What would keep moss off? Would the pea stones help?

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Moss loves neutral or acid soil
get soil tested and if acidic add lime in fall and spring

Skimper Cherry Garden is about 12" in my garden but some of the stocks do get 14"

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Is this JACQUESIANA? http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/62222/

I thought it was PROSPER LAUGIER. http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/613980/

Thumbnail by boojum
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I get moss in my Japanese and sib beds, and just leave it. It's caused by the acidity that these iris like. Doesn't seem to hurt anything.

Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

Loving seeing the historics placed here. Cherry Garden gets about 10 inches in Maine on cold years but I have seen it go up to 14 inches on warmer years. Very hardy in my area so I have several extras this year. Enough extra to make a good clump of six rhizomes.

It does not look like Gypsy Queen, Indian Chief or Crimson King will open this year. Amas and Faustine will though. Like Belle Prairie and Comenchero tones, not really seen browns yet in person. I ordered Jaquesiana to add to the Lemon section, beautiful old iris.

Julianna

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Frontier Marshall TB 1964 Schreiner

Thumbnail by avmoran
Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Gingerbread Castle TB 1967 Tompkins

Thumbnail by avmoran
Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Golden Alps TB 1952 Brummitt

Thumbnail by avmoran
Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Golden Fair SDB 1960 Warburton

Thumbnail by avmoran
Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Golden Forest TB 1958 Hutchison

Thumbnail by avmoran
Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Golden Russet TB 1945 Hall

Thumbnail by avmoran
Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Happy Days TB 1934 Mitchell

Thumbnail by avmoran
Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Headlines TB 1959 Brummitt

Thumbnail by avmoran
Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Helen McGregor TB 1946 Graves

Thumbnail by avmoran
Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Honorabile MTB 1840 Lemon
This one is unique in that it has several registered "Sports" which are natural deviations from the parent plant some remain and reproduce the same charateristics others revert tot he parent plant.
Some more notable sports are
Joseph's Coat Katkamier, Kaleidoscope, Sherwin-Wright and Sans Souci

Thumbnail by avmoran
Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Kaleidoscope MTB 1929 Katkamier
I will post some more picture of this one later there are no two falls that are the same it is a really cool plant to have

Thumbnail by avmoran
Peachland B.C., BC(Zone 5a)

King Tut Sass 1926

Thumbnail by oltmanns
Newfoundland, NJ

Gotta put some more up. these are blooming now. First one is FESTOON.

Thumbnail by Sugarbean1
Newfoundland, NJ

Here is Blue Valley

Thumbnail by Sugarbean1
Newfoundland, NJ

And here is HALLOWE'EN NIGHT

Thumbnail by Sugarbean1
Newfoundland, NJ

And here is I SPY...very prolific. Its a TB but doesn't have nice long or graceful falls. But the color and patten are interesting, and it is the only one that has actually rebloomed for me in NJ.

Thumbnail by Sugarbean1
Kingsley, IA

HIPS says... yep that is i.pallada

Thumbnail by iairis

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.