You Show Me Your Gardens . . . Part II

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Freezing.. thats why it only survives at the root level.. This hibiscus is considered hardy.. not tropical in which case it wouldn't make it :( I know... I've waited till spring to see if it would happen!!

Susan

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Murmur (and others),

Since Florida is so far away from where you live I thought I would share some photos of one of our local sites that I enjoy http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/739026/

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

Dale, that's gorgeous - and I do enjoy seeing flowers from all around the country . . . can't get much further away from me than where you are! Thanks for the tour on your link - sure makes me want to visit Florida . . . wonderful sights and excellent photos.

Trenton, MI(Zone 5b)

I haven't posted much, but have been peeking in once in a while, loving all the different pictures. Thought I post a few of mine from this year.

I lost the name of the dark red lilies. The golden orange one is called ______dorn. Anyone know the whole name. LOL
sharon

Lilies along my path.

Thumbnail by toofewanimals
Trenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Sorry, I took this picture at night.
Here is a portion of one of my gardens I'm really enjoying right now. Also using it as a cutting garden. I have several small bouquets of the Rudbeckias and the Daisies.
The daisies are 'silver princess' and the crazy daisy in back.
sharon

Trenton, MI(Zone 5b)

My Polish Spirit Clematis is in full bloom right now. I have a broken wrought iron chair that I convinced my husband not to weld together and let me use it as a trellis. But then the polish spirit decided to continue growing onto a 'good' wrought iron chair. Hubby thought that was 'ok' too. :)
sharon

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Nice photots, Toofew, The Clematis idea is a good one; I think they are happiest when they aren't growing straight up and can scramble a bit (and then go up).

Suzy

Lovely photos, Toofew - glad you posted and look forward to more!

Soulgarden, I don't know how I missed commenting on your incredible gardens - truly they are beautiful!

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Love the flowers on chairs toofew :)

Thanks :) I should take some more pics and share. New things are blooming :)

Susan

Yes, please do!!

Trenton, MI(Zone 5b)

I second that, keep posting pictures of your beautiful garden Susan.
Any new pics from you Murmur?
toofew

TooFew, I'm so happy to see your chair! I've dragged around this little chair for years thinking I would refinish it. Now every chair I see I want to drag into the garden. I found an old iron bench that I have roses growing onto the back and made a bottom out out of chicken wire to hold soil for annuals.

Thumbnail by

I think this is a Salvia that I got from the NPA (Northwest Perennial Alliance) Garden Tour last year - really unique bloom.

Thumbnail by Murmur
Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

cocoa....i WANT your chair....it is gorgeous..!!!

somewhere, PA

That is a really cool bloom Murmur! How tall is the plant? Are you
going to save seeds?

Here's the entrance to the old horse pasture converted to a garden
"room". The New Dawn rose is in full bloom across the trellis.

Tam

Thumbnail by Tammy
somewhere, PA

And the clematis is blooming in the center of my "rose garden" with
lilies, baby's breath and even some roses in bloom.

Thumbnail by Tammy
somewhere, PA

Another angle of the same "room"

Thumbnail by Tammy
Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

Your gardens all look beautiful! You have given me so many wonderful ideas! I just had 30 yards of fabulous soil delivered over the weekend. I started spreading it today and about fell over. Then I had a light bulb moment! I ran around the back of the house (where my hubby was weeding, what a great guy) and said "I know what I want for my b-day (it's 7/31) I want to rent a skid-steer to spread the dirt, all you will have to do is buy me a card!" He thought that was a pretty great idea :0) So tomorrow morning I am going to pick it up (can you tell that I'm a little excited :0)!!!! Hopefully I will have the new beds ready for planting by the end of the day. Wish me luck! I have attached a pic of one of the piles of dirt. In the pic you will see that I am extending the bed around our front porch.

Thumbnail by rachierabbit
Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

Here is a shot of the other soon to be flower bed. I will be filling it with David Austin roses, daylilies, iris, lavender, herbs, two quaking aspen and a japanese fir. :0)

Thumbnail by rachierabbit
Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

rachierabbit...is that white structure a greenhouse concept?

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

Sticks,
No that is our "garage" it's one of those white tents (made of tarp material) from Costco. We built our house two years ago this September, hopefully we will be building the detached garage this next spring (I better quit spending our $$ on plants and dirt :0). We are hoping that the "garage"makes it through one more winter :0) My greenhouse is behind the house. I will have to post a pic of it sometime. Rachel

Rachel, what a great idea - and can't wait to see the new beds!

Tammy, my goodness - glorious gardens!!! And the Salvia is not very tall at all - maybe 18 inches. And I'll save seed if I figure out how on this plant! Let me know if you want some - I'll get another picture soon . . . it now has quite a few blossoms.

somewhere, PA

Thanks Murmur... I love seed starting. If you are successful in saving some,
pls try to remember me. :-)

Rachierabbit - that is quite a pile o dirt/dirts! How fun to try a skid too...

Tam

Here's another photo of the Salvia (it is Salvia Sedorca - I found my tag).

Thumbnail by Murmur

And this is Honey Perfume, which lives up to its name.

Thumbnail by Murmur
Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

Murmur-
Those are both gorgeous plants. I love roses that have great scent :0) Yummy!

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Rachel, I have the exact same "garage" in the back yard :) Got mine at Sams Club.

Susan

Bucyrus, OH(Zone 6a)

My work in progress. Part of my border, from left to right. The plantings are not full enough yet.

Thumbnail by joegee
Bucyrus, OH(Zone 6a)

Farther up the fence line towards the house. Lilies, a four year old mimosa, and an old window frame that I really like.

Thumbnail by joegee
Bucyrus, OH(Zone 6a)

Looking towards the house from the same location.

Thumbnail by joegee
Bucyrus, OH(Zone 6a)

Further to the right, looking into the shade garden "room"?

Thumbnail by joegee
Bucyrus, OH(Zone 6a)

Detail of the shade garden, including my "bench" I made from a few field stones and a piece of sidewalk slate.

Thumbnail by joegee
Bucyrus, OH(Zone 6a)

My líl' Buddha. I gave him a nasturtium yesterday. The weather is so dry that everything is blooming sparsely, even with daily watering.

Thumbnail by joegee
Bucyrus, OH(Zone 6a)

Looking out my back door.

Thumbnail by joegee
Bucyrus, OH(Zone 6a)

WRONG PHOTO. Darn, it won't let me change it. :( Oh well, almost the same view is available from the photo below.

This message was edited Jul 3, 2007 3:04 PM

Thumbnail by joegee
Bucyrus, OH(Zone 6a)

The tall view of the path towards the garage.

Thumbnail by joegee
Bucyrus, OH(Zone 6a)

Everything is so dry this year, nothing looks lush, it's all spindly. On the bright side, mosquitos are almost non-existent, and our nights are very comfortable because of the low humidities.

-Joe

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

It's all a give and take, ain't it?

Looks great JG! I love your Buddha. I'm always looking for "just the right one..." I didn't know you had it, lol.

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Ah, Joe, love all the little touches here and there, but the big ole trees are to die for! What kind of ebvergreens do you have? They have such a nice shape and needle.

Suzy

Bucyrus, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks everyone for your comments. :)

The big white spruce in the back is called "Stubby". It was topped at around 75 feet by the previous owner. Why she did it, I do not know. It was probably planted back when the house was built in 1929. I pray it is immortal. I actually hugged it when I first bought this property, and told it how beautiful it is. I have always yearned for a big, old tree. Stubby needs a gnome door at his base http://cgi.ebay.com/Handcrafted-Woodland-Gnome-Door-Decoration-Garden-Decor_W0QQitemZ110145662400QQihZ001QQcategoryZ75598QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem . :)

The Colorado blue spruce in the 15' range has no name. Because it is placed directly under my power lines and it tends to invade my path, it also may have a limited future.

The neighbor's white spruce overhangs my patio and leans towards my house at a 15 degree angle. One good storm and my computer room is history. I keep making persuasive noises at the property owners, and once they took a good look at the tree they decided it does need to go. The climate in that part of my yard will change drastically with the removal of that tree. It will be brighter, significantly damper, and have much less acid soil.

Over in the shade garden the crab apple that is the primary tree seems to have some sort of blight. Its leaves come on deformed and spotted. They wilt quickly, yellow, and drop early. You can see all of the dead leaves at the edges of the path. It will probably go soon too. I'm not sure as of yet what might replace it. Perhaps a seven sons flower http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/2036/ trimmed to tree form? The crab apple that helps shade the patio is fine. I keep it trimmed to a low spreading form.

The two arborvitae I intend to replace with http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/54144/ , incense cedar. There are two burning bushes of mediocre quality and questionable merit that will get pulled out this fall, to be replaced by more shade-loving plants (I always need more foxgloves.)

Buddha came from Wal Mart. When he came in I bought him quickly before someone of intolerant regligious bent decided to complain to the powers that be ...

-Joe

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.