My favorite local garden store(s)...

There are a total of 274 votes:

are listed in Go Gardening, and I've reviewed all of them
(66 votes, 24%)
Red dot

are listed in Go Gardening, but I haven't reviewed them yet
(34 votes, 12%)
Red dot

aren't listed in Go Gardening, but I'm adding them now!
(13 votes, 4%)
Red dot

aren't yet listed, and I need some help so I can add my reviews (let us know who they are!)
(7 votes, 2%)
Red dot

are listed, but they need editing (tell us who and what to fix)
(2 votes, 0%)
Red dot

What is Go Gardening?
(152 votes, 55%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

adding some now.....

wish I knew the names of some of the local places I pop into.... going to have to write down names and locations

Allison

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

As usual, I had trouble picking an answer. My absolute favorite is there and I have reviewed it (Menne's Nursery in Amherst, NY) Others are there and I haven't reviewed. Others are missing. I will try to take the time to add the missing and do the reviews because this can be an extremely valuable feature if we all take the time to contribute.

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

An ode(?) to GoGardening:

A hotbed of gardening grist,
I eagerly add to the list.
But my roll of errata
Is data non grata
In the few local nurseries I've hissed.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I've added most of the places I've been to. Some aren't in the yellow pages and getting the info is harder.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Well, until this question I never heard of 'Go, Gardening'.
I'll check it out and uundoubtly post after I do.
;)

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Out here, where the earth squares off, most of the address are very vague: North Road - no numbers. Or else the nursery has a PO Box as the address since the owner doesn't get mail at the nursery but at home.

Saluda, SC(Zone 8a)

What a great additional source of information. I never realized I had so many sources of plants, etc as near my home as the list already posted indicate!

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

I believe I've checked them all out over the years. No new ones lately.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Well, this quiz served it's purpose and got me to recheck my nurseries!
Thank goodness for Don Shirer. He kept my area up to date & created a poem!

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

I didn't see an option for my situation so I clicked 'are listed, but haven't reviewed them yet'. I've listed and reviewed many, but still have a few more to go.

Harper

Boxford, MA(Zone 6a)

HHmmm, I have added plenty of opinions to "Garden Watchdog", but I had never noticed "Go Gardening". I'll have to check it out.

West Bay, Cayman Islands(Zone 11)

There are numerous nurseries here on Grand Cayman and anyone that lives here knows where they are located....small island!!!

aurabest,
john

Rosemont, ON(Zone 4a)

I just took a look. Well, it would be nicer if Canada was shown on the North American map. Hey, guys, we are up here....somewhere.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7a)

We have few nurseries located near me in Albuquerque. Rowlands, an outstanding family-owned nursery just a few blocks from our home, went out of business two years ago. They could no longer compete with the "big box" stores. It was a great loss. High Country Gardens does have a new branch in Albuquerque as part of a place called Jackalope, but it is on a busy boulevard, difficult to exit from, and parking in their lot is very limited. We seem to be stuck with Home Depot and Lowe's here.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Went for "aren't yet listed, and I need some help so I can add my reviews" – I can't work out how to add Garden Centres.

Resin

Marin, CA(Zone 9b)

Not only are they listed; I added them!

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

Going gardening means doing lots of work in my garden, such as weeding, mulshing, dividing, dead heading, watering, etc. etc.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

My favorite nursery is where I work and it's actually a botanical garden. Lots of freebies.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Afraid my posts are prejudiced but none the less they are honest.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

I was previously unaware of the "Go Gardening" webpage. There are very few resources listed for my locale, even though there are a lot of nurseries around. I added one highly prejudiced, very favorable review of the Jacksonville Zoo and Gardens (where I'm now very happily employed in the horticulture department) in the "Public Gardens" section. I'll add some reviews of local nurseries as time allows and hope others in the Jacksonville, Florida, area will do the same. It always helps to know what experiences other DGers have had with nurseries and other garden resources.

Thanks, Jaxrever, for posting the link to the "Go Gardening" page. I couldn't find it elsewhere.

Jeremy

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

The link is a tab on the top of each page - next to Garden Watchdog.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

Thanks, kooger, I hadn't noticed it there.

Jeremy

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

YW! :)

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7a)

Interesting that several nurseries are listed for Albuquerque, although one of them (Rowland's) is closed. All the others are much farther from my house than indicated. With the cost of gas I'm trying to keep driving to a minimum right now. Will likely order bulbs this year from a DG co-op or by mail from one of the advertisers.

June

Brimfield, MA(Zone 5a)

This poll was a good reminder for me to get in there and post my reviews. I did a few reviews, but need to check back when I have more time because there was an awesome place I didn't see there, but maybe it's further away than I think.

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

I've reviewed the ones near me, and the others are too far away...but I'll keep them in mind if I'm ever out their way. Unexplored nurseries are always exciting!

Midland, WA(Zone 8a)

I coudn't select any of them: there's only 1 nursery I know of in Independence, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Go Gardening seems to agree with me: no nurseries in Independence listed at all, not even the dog.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

carrieebryan, take another peek here: http://gardens.com/go/advanced.php?type=&zip_distance=25&zip=64055&search_text=&sorter=distance

And remember, even if there aren't any garden centers in your immediate vicinity worth recommending....

1) If it's constructive, even a lackluster review is helpful to others and instructional to the company.

2) Favorite nurseries in other areas are also fair game (think back to places you've visited or lived);

3) Go Gardening is more than just garden centers - there are farmers markets, U-pics, botanical gardens, botanical gardens...and I bet there's something you'd recommend to a garden-loving visitor or new neighbor ;o)

(Zone 1)

I answered #1 that all are listed in Go Gardening .... but, actually ANY store that sells plants would be a favorite store of mine! I will even on ocassion, buy a plant at the Grocery Store!

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Out of curiosity, why does it come up with Bryan, TX as the default? Wouldn't it be better to have an instructions /info page as the default?

Resin

Midland, WA(Zone 8a)

Thanks, Terry! Unfortunately, if Keller's actually wants to run their shop as a tax loss, they'd welcome a bad review with open arms. Think of all the new potential customers, thinking they can't be that bad, whom they can be rude to! Well, not rude, really, more like -- weird. I'm not sure I wish to oblige them; I'd rather pretend they weren't there at all.

I get some seedlings at the hardware store, and most everything else, including hardware, online. And yes, I use the Watchdog, the only dog that belongs in the garden!

Stratford, CT(Zone 6b)

I never heard of go gardening prior to this poll, but about half of the nurseries I shop at are listed there.

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Resin - because dave lives in Bryan? just a guess...

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

Ooo, pepper, you work at a botanical garden? I am sooooo jealous!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

LOL. Not a gardener there, but I do hang out with the gardeners.

www.powellgardens.org

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

There wasn't an exact answer for me, so I answered they weren't listed but I'm doing that now.Since I moved there is my absolute favorite one and I posted that review as soon as I found Dave's Garden. There were hardly any listed in my area last I checked. Guess I have to visit some more.

Good flowerjen! I think that's the point that this thead is meant to convey - check for local places and add whatever you find, along with your comments.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

That is definitely the reason we ran this poll - to see what people think of Go Gardening now that it's becoming pretty sizable (almost 9,000 entries to-date); to encourage everyone to take a peek if they haven't already, and of course, add reviews for their local places ;o)

Pirl, you mentioned it was hard to find the exact addresses of places near you...will you please take a look at the places listed in close proximity to you? http://gardens.com/go/advanced.php?type=&zip_distance=25&zip=southold+ny&search_text=&sorter=distance - are there some we missed, or that aren't on the right spot on the map? Google doesn't always have pinpoint accuracy, we've found.

Corrections are most welcome; and reviews are incredibly helpful to other gardeners looking for local recommendations!

I just did, Terry, and will Dmail you.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.