I know you all like pictures.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Just b/c I'm amazed at the teeny size of this one (this one is kept indoors though)

Thumbnail by Chantell
Shenandoah Valley, VA

Isn't Joey's flower a clover blossom? Chantell your cactus blooms are so pretty.

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Your're right ! hart! It is the common clover. I like to let the wild things bloom before I chop them down. Today they got the axe! Although there is one that I Don't cut down...it only comes up every 2 years...
Chantell, those are beauties! for sure! :D And that one is so tiny!

Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
Shenandoah Valley, VA

My foxgloves are blooming too. Isn't that color pretty?

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Thanx hart..I do love them. This one is only about a foot tall. Quite dainty.

Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Gonna drive everyone nuts with these...but I'm just amazed they survived the winter here and are blooming for me...here's another that opened up for me today.

Thumbnail by Chantell
Shenandoah Valley, VA

Mine are only a couple of feet tall. Is that a moss rose bloom? It has that kind of translucent look to the petals. I mean the annual, not the roses.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Diane - believe it or not it's a type of PP - Texas Black Spined

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Hey, take pity on those of us who don't grow C & S (cacti & succulents? I'm guessing)... Is PP = "prickly pear?"

Those blooms are just stunning!

Here's a happy accident... The first bloom on 'Indian Chief' bearded iris, and I planted it near a magenta columbine... perfect color echo!

Thumbnail by critterologist
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Oh Critter - how beautiful is that?!?!?! Sorry - yes, PP is prickly pear...my bad

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I'm enjoying all your pics. Chantell, beautiful! I grew some cactus seed from Burpee while in highschool. It was fun. I had those guys for about 25 years. Too bad this was before my total conversion to plant nut, I never gave them enough tlc to bloom, and they have all died . With kids, it was a concern having them around, that made it harder to give them attention.
This is spiderwort that came up in my yard that I don't remember seeding, but just might have collected locally and tossed out there. Its doing great! and coming to a swap near you! I am going to move it into my bed of lamiastrum as it will be tall enough to stand above that, and that will give a nice light backdrop under it.
Today the most beautiful things in my yard were the spicy sweet smell of late spring and the singing of all the birds!!!!!!

This message was edited May 29, 2007 3:43 PM

Thumbnail by sallyg
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Sally - what a gorgeous color!!!

Thank you! I liked it. I like it even better in person, it looks deeper and the yellow stamens sparkle. one downer- they close in the afternoon.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Wow, Chantell. Pretty color. I'm supposing it's not cold hardy.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Sally - looks like the pretties that like shade...do you know their pref? I'd love (if you had any extras) to have some if they tolerate part sun

hart - it's been in the ground since early last summer. So it made it through last winter. I always put a good deal of grit under my C &S soil that also has grit and contractor's sand mixed in with it. Seems so many cactus die more from moisture then the cold...just my thought on it. I can bring you a pad or 2.

Chantell -I have extras! I think you need to at least try them.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Yippeee, thank you Sally!!

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

One of my favorite flowers is blooming now. I got these on end of season clearance a few years ago for a couple bucks a pot and they have grown into large clumps. The color is intense.

Chris.......looks like things are blooming nicely "up north."

Joey.......Nice clover close-up!

Sally........Your spiderwort is beautiful!

Chantell........those cactus blooms really pop!

Photo........ My "Paula Fay" Chinese Peony. I look forward to these every year.

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Chantell, That pic should be used as a Biology specimen! Wow!
Sally..Love your spiderwart...It is so Pretty!;D
Critter..nice combo!
E_B, they really are beautiful! :D

A wild flower that I have no idea what it is, but I love the bloom...

Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Ahhh Joey...what a sweet bloom...looks like the petals are shaped like hearts!!! Thanks for the kind words...my camera does all the work..I just press the shutter button.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I have oodles of those peonies but I didn't know their name. Just finished blooming here.

Chantell, I'd love a pad or two. They certainly don't have to worry about it not being dry enough here.

I've been lusting after this hardy cactus at High Country Gardens. One of these days I'm going to order some because if it's hardy, I'm sure it will thrive here and I love the orange blooms and that it gets so tall.

http://www.highcountrygardens.com/catalog/product/46981/

Here's another one that's pink but much shorter
http://www.highcountrygardens.com/catalog/product/46939/

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

I LOVE their website - great selection of cold hardy cacti. Diane if you'd like me to make a copy of a catalog I rec'd last year, I'd be happy to. I can also dmail or email you with someone's email that sells privately as well as on ebay - very nice guy - patient with all my questions. I have not bought from either - as I was waiting to see what would survive the winter. :)

EB- back at'ya- those peonies are beautiful!
music- maybe a potentilla of some kind there?
Chantell and other spiderwort fans- comments in plantfiles seem to say it does fine sun to shade. Mine is great in shade, light dappled shade, and AM shade-pm sun

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Sally, I have no idea what it is. It's about 2 feet tall. I meant to go out this eveing to see if there were any more blooms, but have been busy inside. I will check it out tomorrow. Or Better Yet...check the plant files. :D
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Pretty Joey...very pretty!!
Early, how'd I miss those Peonies? Love those colors!!!

Joey- maybe Potentilla recta, rough-fruited cinquefoil. Now that I think about it, I think my mom has the same thing. LOL, she had no idea if she planted it or it just came up. ( Now I think choice B is it. )A European native, becoming a pest in places, boo hoo.
and I think I spy a birdhouse gourd- did you grow them?

Laytonsville, MD(Zone 7a)

Pretty peony. Gotta watch that spiderwort though. I planted a couple years ago and it just went wild and spread all over and it's got some tough roots too.

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Thanx, Chantell. :D
Sally Thanx, I'll look it up. I don't grow the gourds, but a girl I went to school with has a pumpkin farm & I get a couple every year for drying. My DB cuts them & makes birds houses for me.
I found this in the woods...the leaves were the size of baseballs! I had never seen them that large!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

I found this, too! :D

Thumbnail by music2keep
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Introducing my very first Gardenia Bloom...ok, that wasn't already on a plant prior to my killing it at least...I'm thinking maybe this one will survive despite me!! 'Shooting Star' from Flower Scent Gardens

Thumbnail by Chantell

music- what a good DB~~~
that neato second find- I've seen too. Not sure exactly but I think you could get away with calling it a Solomon's seal.

Chantell- ha ha! congratulations!

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Chantell, I'd love a copy of the catalog and the info on the ebay guy. Gardenias! I'll bet you're in scent heaven right now.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I started a thread over in Wildlife Gardening with photos of a robin's nest in my climbing rose... thought I'd post a link here... http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/729581/

Those eggs are just bluer than blue... and today is Hatching Day!

Thumbnail by critterologist
Crozet, VA

Oh wow - that was fun looking at all the pics. Thank everyone who has shared. I will attempt in the next few days to take more pictures and then post them here.

Sp...the question of the hours is......Sally, do you have enought spiderwort to swap with me at the get together? I saw a lot of others asking. If not, then many next year some one will have some for me.

If you still have some to share, you caan take a look at the list of things that I have to swap and choose something.

Anyways, thank you all who shared here.

Ruby

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Joey, that yellow flower is growing wild all over the place here. I'll look in my Virginia wildflowers book when I get a chance and see if I can get a name.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

OMG Critter...I would be beyond excited!!! Just LOOK at them!!!!
Diane - will send you the ebay guy's email and make copy of the catalog...know it's on my desk at home "some where..." ugh!!! And yes the scent is wonderful!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.