speaking of Exotic Angels site

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

although these pics are not good, I have found more fun plants from these people at Lowe's....here are a few i have fallen in love with and so easy to propagate...........

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

these are all Fittonias....I have many kind just because I like them!!!

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

although the pic is blurry, the leaves stay real tiny compared to the other Fittonias....no matter how big the plant gets, it seems the leaves always stay the same size...

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Crozet, VA

HI gessie - Any hints for another soul who loves these plants but is not having too much luck with them? I have the pink and the white. The pink one has several long almost bare stalks coming out from the middle of the plant. The other day I pinched off a couple of them and stuck in water thinking I could root it. All it did was shrivel up and die? How do you propogate? Thanks in advance.

Ruby

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I just take a little miracle grow soil or soil-less mix and mix lots of perlite (at least half of perlite in the mix). This keeps it from rotting...I always stick about 5 cuttings to a six inch pot or 3 cuttings to a 4" pot. Then it really makes for another pretty plant. A friend sent me a picture of hers last night that I had propagated for her...........It is at least 8" tall and 6" across. She grows everything inside under gro-lights. I don't need to because I have a screened in front porch that is facing south......that is where i do my propagating.....Since Fittonias really like high humidity, you probably need to put a zip lock over the top of the cuttings until they root...
good luck

Gessie I love your Fittonias especially the green one. I have several in my office and find that they are easy plants, they don't need a lot of light and are very forgiving if you forget to water.

Susan

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Once they are rooted well, they are very forgiving plants about water....they just perk back up.....

Crozet, VA

Thank you so much gessie. I will buy some perlite and give it a try.

Ruby

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Just remember to keep a very light mix until they get rooted.....I even still leave mine in that light mix...just have to fertilize regularly....

Crozet, VA

Hi gessie - I bought some perlite the other day. I am hoping to find some time this weekend to pot some things up. I am realling staying busy lately with the inside and outside plant things that need doing.

We got a wonderful rain all night last night. Really steady rainfall that I am sure all the new plants were rejoicing over. Only thing is that it kind of put a damper on the plans that I had this morning. It will be too wet to plant unless I want to play in mud rather than soil. ha-ha

Anyway, thanks for your help. I will check back in some time and let you know things are going. I hope that you will have a great weekend.

Ruby

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

same to you, ruby!!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.