Any blooms yet on your WS seedlings?

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

grampapa..when did you start that hyacinth bean vine seed? i have several that are outside that have been outside and have yet to grow an inch much less bloom:(

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

My Hyacinth Bean are slow too - but I've notice more leafing since the weather has warmed up. I have a feeling that they will shoot up now.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I was out back not long ago, and found that seeds that i direct sow'ed about 2 months ago, a few are BLOOMING and much bigger in size than my WS'ed seeds.

my bird&butterfly mix is taller (3-4") but not blooming yet. those are the only ones aside from sunflowers that are tall-ish.

now i'm more bummed than i was yesterday.

I'm thinking about just sticking them in the soil adn see what happens... but i feel that if i want color this year, i will have to buy plants/annuals.

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

anita...i guess misery loves company....but i am glad to know that i am not alone on the hyacinth bean vine lack of growth...i have fertilized it...hydrogen peroxided it...sang to it etc etc....i want it to GROW GROW GROW!!!

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

I started my hyacinth bean on 3/29. and I think that was way too early. I planted it outside, but it's not looking good. I also germinated some more seeds baggie method (after nicking/soaking) and planted them, but i think I left them too long and they began to ferment (yuck!)...anyway they didn't smell too good when I opened the baggie. they had shoots so I planted them, but I don't see anything coming up. I may try one more time. I really want to see these vines on my front light post.

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

well i have grown a couple dozen seeds....finally some made it about a dozen in fact....i have had them planted outside for about a month and they have grown about an inch...the ones i had inside grew about 2 feet but they were a different seed and i was planting them for someone else....:( finally i planted 3 more out yesterday...grrrrrr i don't give up easily.....GROW!!!

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

Here are my first blooms of the season!! You might have to get close to the monitor and squint a little bit but if you are persistent you might just spot a boom on my Nepeta x faassinii (Select Blue Catmint) plants. I have some Osteospermum plants that are about ready to bloom as well....stay tuned.

- Brent

Thumbnail by Brent_In_NoVa
Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

woohoo!!

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Yep! The first blossoms on the linaria! and Baby's Breath!

Chapel Hill, NC(Zone 7b)

I finally set out my Convolvulus Ensign (did not get too many from my seeds) and two are blooming, very pretty.

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

Got some more blooms!

Thumbnail by zone5girl
Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

I think the above one is baby's breath, and this one is a blurry pic of a poppy:

Thumbnail by zone5girl
Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

grampapa, where did you get that cute as can be fairy trellis your Black Eyed Susan Vine is growing on? I absolutely LOVE it and it looks PERFECT with your Susan. Great growin'!

Kim

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

kim ...what photo of grampa's are you talking about with a trellis?

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

It's the 9th post down, the fairy arbor/trellis that the Black Eyed Susan vine is on :)

Kim

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

ah....yes that is cute...i had seen it and yet i really didn't look; thank you:)

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

YES! Lots of little blooms - especially on the white baby's breath. This is tooo coool!

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Kim, I got the fairy trellis from a catalog 1/2 price. I'd try to remember the name, but they don't have it anymore. I think I've found the perfect plant for her (her name is 'Susan' now LOL). here's a pic of her outside now.

jan

Thumbnail by grampapa
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

I finally have a bloom on an actual w/s plant...bachelor's button

Thumbnail by grampapa
Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Gorgeous blooms everybody! When I'm able to go outside, I promise to take some pictures of my ws blooms!

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I still only have Babys Breath and Morning Glorys. But i did find the babys breath that was direct sown, and it actually looks BETTER than the WS ones. I have quite a few of the wild flowers blooming already.

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Jan, I simply LOVE LOVE LOVE Susan :) Perfect plant for her!

Kim

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Finally!

I swear I was the last one on the board to germinate so I guess I shouldn't have been surprised to be the literal late bloomer too. But at last I have blooms....and in case I need to clarify it's the baby's breath not the rose. LOL.

Thumbnail by Lala_Jane
North West, OH(Zone 5b)

And my "lavender" poppy made it's appearance this morning.

Thumbnail by Lala_Jane
Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

Isn't it exciting, Lala_Jane? I check everything everyday to see if I have anything new. Since I last posted I got some orange flower that I am not familar with, 'Milkmaid' nasturtium, and 1 dark pink Bachelor's button. Tamara

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

My Borage is in bloom..

Thumbnail by Anitabryk2
Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

So are my tomatoes

Thumbnail by Anitabryk2
Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Is borage really pretty in person? As pretty as the pictures?
I tried starting it from seed but I didn't get any to sprout :(
Looks beautiful :)

Kim

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I had great germination on my seeds. I'm wondering if it will reseed itself or if I will have to plant it every year.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Here's what the vegetation of the plant looks like..

Thumbnail by Anitabryk2

Congratulations on your wintersown beauties! Gorgeous pictures everyone!

From what I've read about Borage, it tends to re-seed in your garden. You might want to dead head the seed pods before they are scattered, but a wild flower garden is very beautiful too.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Thanks Shirley - I'll do that.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Here's one of my gaillardia and blue larkspur, both WSown last year.

Karen

Thumbnail by kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Ivory zinnia and black prince snapdragons

Thumbnail by kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

First coral zinnia

Thumbnail by kqcrna
Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

love em!

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

My seedlings are still soooo small - is it because I have delayed so long in planting them in the garden? Most were potted up into little paper pots. The petunias (which I started inside) are REALLY slow - any ideas why?

Excellent pictures, Karen! Your wintersoon blooms are beautiful!!

Seandor: Some seedlings just take longer than other to start growing. But once they hit their stride, they'll be off & blooming their hearts out for you. All you need is a little patience and you will be rewarded!

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks Shirley1md. I hope so . . . :-)

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

Yeah, more to post! Here's a California poppy (I think!):

Thumbnail by zone5girl

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.