Any blooms yet on your WS seedlings?

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

I have 1 that has flower buds, but I lost the tag and don't even know what it is! Tamara

Chapel Hill, NC(Zone 7b)

Yes, I am happy to report that I have several blooming - slightly. I have several blooms in my wildflower mix (from Trudi), it looks perhaps like a flax, but I don't know. And a centaurea cyanoides has one bloom open and several other ones have buds.

Then I have a cosmos with one bloom right a the top, very lonely, maybe I need to pinch it.
Also, alyssum has been blooming very sparsely, I think it is not very happy, I may have transplanted it too late.

Pretty soon there should be lots of reports of blooming, although I don't expect that most of the perennials will bloom this year (which I did not consider when I started sowing).

Tamara, you could take a picture and post it so someone can id yours flower.

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

I think when it actually blooms, I'll know what it is. I just don't recognize the foliage. I tried a lot of new things this year. Tamara

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Some of last year's seedlings are blooming for the first time! :-) So far, I've had blooms on a red/yellow columbine (came from a mix in the twisted robin box) and a white columbine (from gardengirl1204), and several other columbines have buds! Exciting!

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

funny thing -- remember the babys breath that i though had all but died during that cold snap (some of you commented that they may perk back up) ... well low-and-behold, one of them has what looks like a lil white bud on top. Most of them are not "standing tall" more leaning over.... but they look healthy-ish. The other batch of babys breath, i've planted already within my rose bushes.

but that is the only one that looks like it's gonna flower.

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

I noticed my baby's breath all have buds this morning! There's no pictures in plantfiles for this one, Gypsophila muralis, and the description says the flowers are pink/rose/mauve etc., but the picture on the pack of seeds was definitely white. It's also one of the few plants I have that prefers alkaline soil, so I guess I'll have to lime their particular spots.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

here's my babys breath... the ones i thought were toast.

i still can't get the close-ups on this camera... but you can see the lil blurry white balls... those would be the flowers ready to open.

Thumbnail by tcs1366
Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

the one in the image above, the lil white blur -- it bloomed yesterday. there are 3 lil flowers on it now.
I'm thinking these were annuals, not perennials, which i'd like to have... so i'd better get them in the ground.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

No blooms yet on anything from this year except some self-sown Johnny Jump-Ups... however...
I have a dozen quart containers of columbines from last year's WS on my deck now, and several of them are budding and blooming. 'Tower Blue' opened a bloom while I was away -- and the flower is huge, over 2 inches across!! What a nice surprise. Looks like I may have even more columbines from this year's sowing (started them in rows in 2 dollar store foil roasting pans plus 4 pint containers), and there's at least 15 or 16 additional colors/varieties among them. :-)

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

All I have blooming from seed is seeds sown indoors...annuals.

Black-eyed susan vine

Thumbnail by grampapa
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

hyacinth bean (and it will probably die when I transplant it out)

Thumbnail by grampapa
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

cypress vine

Thumbnail by grampapa
Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Congratulations on lovely blooms!

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

I have my first blooms! They are 'Imperial Antique Shades' pansies. Woo hoo! Tamara

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I've got a few little blooms opening on some Linnarea (toadflax) seedlings!

Woohooo!! for both of us, Tamara!

Seward, NE

I've got johnny-jump-ups, marigolds, zinnia (thumbelina), and nasturtium blooming!!

Woo hoo for all of us!

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

Here's a pic of the pansies...funny thing is, this isn't the plant I was referring to in the first post. That one still hasn't bloomed, so I still don't know what it is. Tamara

Thumbnail by zone5girl
Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I'm so bummed.... my seedlings are so tiny, i don't even think they will bloom this year -- much less get big enough to plant out.... and 90% what i have planted out, had been on the bunny buffet.... with the exception of my Bird & Butterfly Mix wild flowers.

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

Tcs, I have plenty that aren't even 1" tall! In fact, my eggplant and pepper seedlings looked so pathetic and puny I just went to Walmart and bought some eggplant and pepper plants. As for the bunnies, have you considered getting a Havahart trap? I just got one myself for all the stray cats who use my gardens as their litter box. Tamara

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I've started my bunny relocation program here also... I've got Grandpa's old wooden rabbit trap, which doesn't even need to be baited (it's shady and smells like bunny, so I guess they get curious and just hop in)... I do have a havahart trap for the groundhogs, because they are mostly too big to fit into the bunny trap. The groundhogs are much more destructive to my garden than the bunnies, but when I can see more than 6 (different) bunnies as I walk around the yard, it's time to get out Grandpa's trap.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I wouldnt relocate the rabbits... they (the family) has been here longer than I have. ... I just don't want to be the main source of their diet.

It's an open field, and where they live... I should just get some "spray" to keep them from eating the seedlings. They are not coming into my yard -- i just happen to be planting in their area.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Is it possible to reverse the situation and make bunny a main source of your diet?

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

If I had to "kill" my own food... I'd be a vegetarian.

If i could scoop up all the bunnies back there to "protect" them at my home.. .i'd do it. The local coyote keeps them from over populating.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

tcs1366 - same here. I once helped a friend who was slaughtering their roasting chickens - all I had to do was cut up the carcass (sp) into chicken pieces. The chickens had already been plucked. Never again. Both my parents grew up on farms during the depression - through to the 1950s. They would have been sooo embarrassed by my sqeamishness . . .

DH is a meat and potatoes kind of guy - otherwise I would already be a vegetarian.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

My Phacelia is in bloom... it's the darker purple flower

Thumbnail by Anitabryk2
Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

Very pretty! Is the blue one forget me nots? Tamara

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

yup - I love them and let them seed all over the yard

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I was "out back" this morning, and low-and-behold... my GrandPaOtt had bloomed... i guess the bunnies didnt eat all of them. beautiful lil purple flowers... i hope they continue to climb, as they are supposed to cover the 'bunny bush' out back.
I'll go back for photos in a bit...

So, i have a whopping 2 that have bloomed.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

here's a few pictures
GrampaOtt #1

Thumbnail by tcs1366
Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

some bug or something has been eating the leaves -- i noticed this on a few other MG's... there isn't much left of some others.

Thumbnail by tcs1366
Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

and -- when i say "out back" or bunny bush... this is what I'm referring to:

a very large "mass" of intertwined bush/shrubs and wild grape.. the rabbits us this as a 'safe haven'

Thumbnail by tcs1366
Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

I have my second WS bloom...it was the one I was referring to in post #1--it is Cupid's Dart. I'll take a pic tomorrow when the flower is fully opened. I really need to keep better records next year...that I was I had marked down as "never germinated"! lol Tamara

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

Oh grampapa love the red flowers, I lost all my cypress vines.

tcs, you have MG's already? mine are sooooo small and no buds at all. Did you grow them in a greenhouse?

zone5girl, I lost all my cupids dart and even my love in the mist :(

But looking forward to seeing lots of pictures of everybody's.

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

Oops, my bad. When I looked closer at my "Cupid's dart" I realized that it was really Bachelor's button! Here's the pic:

Thumbnail by zone5girl
La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

oh those are cute :o)

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

pepsi,

no, I ws'ed them, but when it got REALLY cold in April, I brought them in. (I lost a few to the 20° temps)
I planted them out in early May -- and what didn't get eaten by the bunnies are not growing very fast, but i found 4 that bloomed, and 1 additional one I did find a bud on... i'm hoping that one will climb the trellis i bought for it.

I have yet to find a Heavenly Blue that has bloomed.

terese

Behold, the mighty Marigold:

Thumbnail by claypa
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

ROFLOL... that is just too funny! and cute as the dickens, too!

I've got some self-sown MGs that are only now putting up cotyledons and maybe a couple of true leaves.

I learned last year to never underestimate a Marigold. Just give them plenty of fertilizer and stand back! It won't surprise me if they get knee-high.
It has been soooo hot (for May ) and dry here, I plant out what I can in the evening and keep watering. I think I've only lost one seedling to the heat. They've all been in full sun for months though. I literally water them every hour some days with the hose sprayer on the mist setting.
It remains to be seen what will and won't bloom this year, but barring some unforseeable cataclysm, next year should be truly spectacular!!!

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

the other day i told DH I was going to look for flowers... he was like, "Don't you have enough" meaning all the WS i did.
I tried to explain that most are perennials and probably wont bloom this year.... but i did tell him next year we will have TONS of blooms.

thank heavens we've had a lot of rain, starting this morning around 2am
i checked on my seedlings, and the babys breath took a beating [again] with the pounding rain
but all else looks ok.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.