Wildfires in South East

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I know what you mean Elaine, my cousin that lives in Valdosta has two grandbabies that were hospitalized because of the smoke last week. I understand it gets in the house even through the air conditioning...it must be awful! I just can't imagine getting up everyday and being right there IN the same area with zero visability and the air quality must be horrible with the gas fumes and all!

It is bad enough way up here in North Georgia!!!

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

It's really bad here today too.

Was able to water some this morning and then it all moved in. Wanted to plant, but no way in this stuff. Kids are indoors and will continue to be. AJC says smoke will move out tomorrow. I guess we will watch movies and play games inside.

Susan

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

It came in Walmarts yesterday through the air return system here. It was really bad Saturday and almost as bad Sunday. Wasn't so bad Monday and Tuesday and yesterday but has returned again today. We need rain so bad.

Hi everyone, hope everyone is doing alright other than the smoke.

Hi Jim. How is Bobby doing? You are both still in my thoughts and prayers.

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Thanks for asking. She is some better but it is day to day with her.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i just wanted to say that i really feel for all of you georgia gardeners. we have received smoke from up your way and also some of our own from the fires here in florida. it's close enough sometimes that the ash falls down around us. we continue to pray for rain for everyone who needs it. we are heading towards a record drought here.

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

It was so bad here Saturday that you would think the next door neighbor was burning a large pile of brush and the wind was blowing it all toward your house.

Yes, it's terrible. We really really need some rain. My tomatoes and peppers aren't maturing like last years because they aren't getting enough rain or good sunshine. I feel for the farmers. I only have my backyard garden.

Cave Spring, GA(Zone 7a)

II live about 60 miles from Chattanooga and 15 miles from the Ala border, and I could smell smoke this morning. Maybe it will rain this weekend and clear the air a little.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

There's a huge low pressure building in the gulf that will bring rain to south FL and Cuba, and if it develops into a tropical storm or even a hurricane, could bring much needed relief to areas further north. There's a thread on the Weather Forum.

Evans, GA(Zone 7b)

I couldn't find the weather forum, darius. Please provide a link or how I can get to it. Thank you.

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

http://davesgarden.com/forums/f/weather/all/

You might have to be a member to access that forum. I don't know for sure.

Cordele, GA

The smoke was so bad here that we had to cancel an out of doors activity for the whole school. The worst was around one oclock when I noticed that the haze was so bad that I could not look out the front door of the school and see the trees on the far side of the highway (less than 2 city blocks distance).

We got a ten minute shower around 4PM this afternoon. The rain hitting the streets smelled so good. I know that it is really a combination of dampness and dust, still it was a welcome fragrance after all the smoke. We may get thunderstorms, isolated of course, this weekend. I just want it to rain.

Beth

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Amen! We need rain!!!

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

the smoke wasnt too bad here yesterday,I thought! I was inside most of the day and DH outside working in the yard! He came in and his clothes smelled of smoke! I thought he had set a fire to burn leaves he had raked up! Needless to say , of course he didnt! the smell outside,all the way from south Georgia, was so strong that it had permeated his clothing!
I cant even imagine what businesses are having to put up with, from smoke damage ! Health wise , we are all going to have to be extra careful! I pray everyone stays well, and that we get rain soon! Horrible to say... but even Hurricane reports now would be a blessing! Poor Georgia and Neighboring southern states are having a choice of being burned to crisp or saved by a storm!

We had a little 15 min shower yesterday. It was like heaven! Today the smoke isn't so thick. It seems wonderful to be able to breathe so early in the a.m. I hope and pray we can get more rain and that others in my area will get some. The water I collected was nasty with soot. It was amazing!Praying, praying praying for all to get rain!

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

Boy do we ever need rain, praying here!!

Donna in Douglas, GA(Zone 8b)

Hey Yall,
seen the weather report lately???? We gotta a strom coming our way!
Whoray!! Prayers have been answer! Which it hasn't rain here yet, altho my fingers & toes are across for tomorrow! 3" would be wonderful!

Sorry I haven't answer any d-mail this pass week, still trying to catch up.
Will chat with yall in a few days. Daddy is back in the hospital & doing well!

nite-Nite!

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Hey Donna!
Glad DAddy is doing well! PRaying for rain to put out those fires!!! WE need it too, but not as badly as those suffering with that fire and smoke!

Cordele, GA

It is RAINING!

Beth

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Its Sprinkling here but its constant, just what the ground needs!!! Thank you Powers that be!

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Giving thanks here,,,, it has sprinkled a slow rain all afternoon. I am sooo thankful that it rained on Florida and S. Georgia and hopefully put all those fires out.
Elaine

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Not getting much here yet...just a tiny misty sprinkle..not much....did it put the fires out? I haven't heard anything about it today...

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

we have had a nice all day steady rain here in jackson sc outside augusta ga. its been a blessing. i hope it moves down and puts the fire to rest.

We've already had around 3 inches ... praise the Lord!

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Has it stopped the fires? I have heard nothing on the news..

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

We had about 3 drops. Might have been 2.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I hear you! We had some misty sprinkles and then a little bit harder and nothing...I just hope it helped the fire situation, so noone has to suffer that smoke and terrible air any longer!

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Yeah some good will come from it. Hopefully we will be getting some predicted thunder storms tomorrow and the next few days. So glad that some on the areas got the much needed relief.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Me too....I will be looking forward to "listening" to it rain...soon, I hope! Hope you and Bobbie are both doing well!!! Think of you often. I got my butterfly ginger planted, can't wait for it to bloom...I still want that pink one! LOL

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

We got a slow shower all night long! It was exactly what we needed and there is none standing on the ground. It all soaked in right where it was needed! As you can see the old Wheelbarrow out behind the barn got filled to the brim with it! My Happy Dance is in progress this morning!!!!!
Im praying that the folks down south got blessed also!

Thumbnail by Eufaula
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

That will make a nice birdbath too..lol I hope it rained for them too..maybe we will get more tonight..it rained here as well, not much left on the pavement or deck, but it all got wet...

Evans, GA(Zone 7b)

Happy to say that the rain started lightly in the morning yesterday, increasing steadily during the afternoon and then all night and just tapering off now. I'm really glad because apart from obvious reasons, I persuaded my husband to turn off the sprinklers yesterday morning, against his better judgement. I'd never hear the end of it if we hadn't had rain!

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Does anyone know if the fires out OUT???

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Hey Janet, I pulled up this government site, and got a pretty deatiled area report on fire sites here in Georgia and other fire affected states!

www.nifc.gov/fire_info/nfn.htm-27k

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the link...not such great news though..wish they all were contained...four fires and none of them are 100% contained...WOW

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Janet I found you a pink ginger. I will try to get it to you as soon as I can. I had moved some and forgot about it until I was cutting grass this morning.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

You are a sweetheart!! Thanks for thinking of me.

Hi y'all!
I've been out of town, so haven't been able to check in. We've gotten a lot of rain while we were gone ... not sure exactly how much. We just had another nice shower a few minutes ago. It hasn't put out the fires, but I'm sure it has helped. Thanks for asking and for posting that link. :) Thanks also for all the prayers. I hope everyone gets some. I know it's dry all over the state. Hugs all way round.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Hope you had a good trip, and glad you are home safely!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.