Wildfires in South East

Donna in Douglas, GA(Zone 8b)

http://www.disasternews.net/news/article.php?articleid=3138

Ware & Atkinson Counties are Coffee Co/Douglas neighbors.
Today we got the worst of the smoke. Inside looking out as if it was a heavy foggie haze. But not the case here smoke, smoke and more smoke.
Saturday in Atkinson/Pearson Ga. a peat bog started burning. I've heard there's several spot fire burning also. Rain a maybe come Thursday, bigger chance on Saturday, if it doesn't fall apart before it gets to us.

The picture is my view across our pond. Is anyone eles see the smoke in your area?
Donna

Thumbnail by gapeahen
Hahira, GA(Zone 8b)

gapeahen - we have had smoke off and on for two weeks or so - some days it's so bad, many people have to stay inside; it even bothers my eyes & throat. Today is not bad, just D-R-Y! Everyone I know is praying - for the people & firefighters in harm's way, and for RAIN! Samantha

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

The smoke from the GA fires has reached Central Florida where my sister lives. Not as bad as what y'all have locally but still obnoxious.

Valdosta, GA(Zone 8a)

It was not to bad here today. Monday was really bad though....

GA, GA(Zone 7b)

Oh, that's scary. I hope you stay safe. On a positive note, your salvias look sublime! :)

I did get out after 5 pm this afternoon to do some much need planting.
Were told that the fire in Atkinson County has burnt it self out, altho we'll have smoke for several days. It does block out the sun, but it is HOT & Humid. I'll try to get more planting done tomorrow, hopefully!

Thanks Danita, that bed is mostly salvia purple majesty, which just started blooming.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Donna, be safe! That is a beautiful view, with the exception of the smoke!

Our fish/pool house over looks the pond (left side of pic)
which you can't see. Anyway that where we'll have our FALL Round-UP!

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

It is a beautiful spot...I know you truly enjoy that view! Sounds like a plan!

It's my veiw from my kitchen window! Love it so!
Yes,it's a plan for sure!!

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Yes, I would think that would be great from the Kitchen, or any other room for that matter! Can't wait to see it in person!!

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

HA!! I'm just like Danita... I was checking out the salvias in the picture and wondering how yours came up and bloomed so quick when mine are still coming out of the ground!! Lovely!! :) Great view!~!

We've had some smoke here.. nothing bad.

Susan

Susan, purple majesty seem to have bloom early this year, altho I've never record there blooming time. The only thing I did different this spring was burn off my beds. Which it did heat up awful fast here, no spring to speak of!

Wasn't Saturday RU GREAT!!

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Yes... I've been planting planting planting!! :)

I never made it over to your table!! :(

Oh well... I'll just dig it up from your garden this fall :)

Susan

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Heavy smoke here in Atlanta yesterday - I stepped out back and thought a neighbor's house must be on fire, from the smell. I had to go in and check the news to find out what it was. This is such a bad fire!!!

Sterling

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

It was all the way up here yesterday morning....not terrible, but could tell it was "forest and plants" burning from the smell!

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Please God, send rain!!

I do have front yard irrigation... and we do water when it is legal to, but one of my distant neighbors saw me hand watering in my newly planted roses during the evening.. which is allowed for 30 days, but she called the watering police on me and they've been coming up my street twice a day some days trying to bust me for illegal watering. It's so sad.... I wave and smile at them as I do all passerby's when I can. :) I know it was her in particular, as she strains her neck to see into my back yard when she drives by to see if I'm holding the hose and watering back there..... where I have newly planted stuff as well.. and she doesn't know the difference. I can see her do it from my kitchen window. I just wish it would rain! We are seriously looking at getting a well installed here and we wont be under the same outdoor watering restrictions. Have already had a company out. I don't know what I'd do in a total ban. I have bunches of new roses this year. Some parts of the state are down to one day a week.. and it could go to a total ban if it doesn't rain soon. I'm very concerned.

Here's today's AJC front page newspaper article:

Water usage rules tighten
Atlanta bans outdoor use during the week

By STACY SHELTON
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 05/25/07

With Georgia falling deeper into what could be a long drought, the city of Atlanta on Thursday banned lawn sprinkling and other outdoor watering during the week. The entire state is likely to soon follow.

In Atlanta, Sandy Springs and most of south Fulton, home and business owners are now prohibited from turning on their garden hoses from Monday to Friday. They can water only on Saturday or Sunday from midnight to 10 a.m., depending on their street address.

The Atlanta City Council is considering an ordinance to impose fines for homeowners for off-schedule watering. After one written warning, the fines would be $250 for the second violation, $500 for the third violation and $1,000 for subsequent violations. Ultimately, the city could shut off water service to a habitual violator.

Janet Ward, a spokeswoman for the city of Atlanta's Department of Watershed Management, said the decision to tighten watering restrictions was pre-emptive. There's enough water flowing past the pipe that withdraws water from the Chattahoochee, she said, but a storage tank in south Fulton — an area served by city water — has been running low.

"This is something we're doing to get ahead of things," Ward said. "It's because of growth in south Fulton, and because of the drought."

The director of the state Environmental Protection Division, Carol Couch, is mulling the same restrictions. The state is currently in a Level Two drought. If Couch decides to move to a Level Three drought, the watering restrictions would mirror Atlanta's.

A Level Four drought would trigger a total ban on outdoor water use.

EPD Assistant Director Jim Ussry said "we shouldn't be seeing this type of [dry] situation this early in the year. ... It's a serious situation. The outlook is for more dry weather."

It hasn't rained in Atlanta since May 16, and it's two weeks since it has rained more than a half-inch. May's dry spell follows the second-driest January-to-April period since 1930.

The first rain forecast by the National Weather Service won't come until Tuesday, when the chance is a disheartening 20 percent.

The dry weather is "nice weather for playing outside, but I'm starting to worry about the long term," said Mark Landers, a Georgia-based hydrologist with the U.S. Geological Survey. "It will take a sustained, higher-than-average rainfall to begin to return to normal."

Georgia is in the center of a severe drought that extends into Alabama, North Florida and parts of North Carolina, according to USGS data. For weeks, streams across the state, including Atlanta's Peachtree Creek and Alpharetta's Big Creek, have been running at or near record low levels. Both creeks feed into the Chattahoochee River, the primary water source for millions of metro Atlantans.

Lake Lanier, the federal reservoir that controls how much water flows down the Chattahoochee, is lower than normal and expected to continue dropping. With the river already straining to meet the demands of metro Atlanta's growth, and Florida and Alabama demanding more downstream, these are the conditions that give credence to the saying attributed to Mark Twain: "Whiskey is for drinking. Water is for fighting over."

But at least metro Atlanta has the 38,000-acre lake. The EPD's Ussery said state officials are keeping a close eye on some small water systems around the state that are completely dependent on small rivers or reservoirs, including west Georgia's Heard County. They're the most vulnerable to a possible water shortage, he said.

The state adopted a year-round outdoor watering schedule four years ago, but few people seemed to be aware of it. And few cities and counties enforced it. The idea of the permanent, three-day-a-week schedule was to get people ready for droughts like this one, so they would already be used to looking at the calendar before turning on their sprinklers.

Now that the state is firmly in the grip of another drought, word is finally getting out.

Shirley Adair, who lives on Palifox Street in Atlanta's Lake Claire neighborhood, stood in her dirt yard watering hydrangeas and other plants Thursday afternoon, using water she'd collected in her shower with a 5-gallon plastic bucket. Because of the drought, she decided not to plant grass when she landscaped in March.

She's prepared to wait until at least the fall for a pretty green lawn.

"My vanity doesn't bother me," said Adair, who grew up on a farm. "If we can't have water to drink, I could sacrifice that."

State rules, and Atlanta's, exempt personal food gardens and businesses that depend on water, including carwashes, plant nurseries and landscapers. Newly installed landscapes get a 30-day pass to get established.

In Sandy Springs, Jerry Lessner had just heard about the restrictions on the radio as she returned home from work Thursday afternoon.

"It's going to kill everything that's here, that's for sure," she said, looking out on the well-manicured lawn. "But, by the same token, until we get rain, we don't have any recourse."

The worry on Lessner's mind: "The money needed to replace [the landscape]," which will inevitably die without water.

So, you can be sure, she added, when Saturday arrives, she'll be giving the yard, "a good soaking."

Staff writers Cynthia Daniels and David Bennett contributed to this article.

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

Thanks for posting that Susan - I had missed it. We have been watering only on our day and time but I see folks watering any old time - like today, Friday is no water but of course someone was.

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Oh My Heavens!!!! I had no idea that you all in Atlanta were that restricted!!!!! Im so sorry! Have you all been told you cant water by other means? Like bath water or washing machine water, carried out to your plants in jugs????
SGL, I think Id be tempted to let that nosey neighbor have it, but in a nice way!!!! Ask them would they like to have your bath water to water their plants with ,they can even come and scrub the bath ring if they would like!LOL!!!
At any rate and on the serious side , Im praying for rain here in Eatonton too, but will say an extra or two for you All!

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I need to figure out how you can save the rinse water from the washer and the shower water too, what a great idea...how dohttp://shawssunshinegardens.com/gallery/h-l.htm you do that? LOL

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

There is a thread on the new Sustainability forum about collecting rainwater in barrels and down in the thread there's some discussion of greywater. Amazon has some books on greywater systems. https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_/102-1940303-0513703?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=greywater&Go.x=0&Go.y=0&Go=Go

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

We (Atlanta metro area) had a total watering ban in '86 and lawns took a beating but rebounded in the following year or two (not that I'd mind losing the lawn since this is a water hog anyway). The doom mongers back then said we'd never rebound or that it would take years to raise the lake levels back to normal. Hmmmm....

Two years ago we had severe flooding from Hurricane Dennis. We just have to roll with the punches.

Here is one of the images of that flood.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

... Yes, I remember that flood locally.

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

Wow, hcmcdole, is that your property?

I remember that flood too! My creek flooded and came very, very close to the house.

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Plantnutz, That was about a mile from us. This is part of Sweetwater Creek which flooded a new subdivision over in Austell. It's hard to belive the county and the builder were allowed to build there since I've seen that part of the creek flood many times over the years. I wonder if the owners sued.

Here was a house that luckily was built on a hill on the Hiram - Lithia Springs Road.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

I've been saving my sink water, boiled eggs water, and my drippy faucet water. I look like a bucket woman. I guess I'm going to put some in the showers too now. But I had no idea we were under restrictions until DH came home and asked me if I was aiming for a weekend in the hoosgow. I just looked at him like he was crazy...and then he proceeded to tell me I couldn't water the garden until the weekend...LOL!

I did have a nice rainwater collection site for buckets on the back porch until he fixed the gutter and now it all goes where it's supposed to :( Of course, we'd have to have rain for it to matter...

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

We have a woderful deep well and have no restrictions .. Yet!!!! but I still only water my vegetable garden and potted flowers! The lawn and such will have to just survive the best wasy it can! Im afraid to water it for fear it will get dependant on well water and not adjust to what the heavens provide! Now since we live in a rural area I do have a long pipe extension on the water coming from my washer and I let it run off around the thirsty trees and shrubs! ( Shhhhhhhh!)

Cordele, GA

Susan - put out soaker hoses. Your nosy neighbor won't be able to see you watering. Put a bit of mulch over them and she won't be able to see them at all.

Seriously, this drought is bad news. Our farmers are only allowed to irrigate after midnight. Most of the fields around here are not greening up yet.

My son's highschool graduation service was tonight in the school stadium. We had a beautiful night for it, but I would rather have been in the stuffy cramped auditorium with rain coming down outside.

Beth

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Congradulation Beth :)

Yes, I'd give up any day doing the most fun outdoor activity for rain and being stuck inside.. Heck.. I'd go outside and let it rain on me and wash my water blues away :) I might even do a dance :)

If it comes to it.. i will get some soakers...

My cousin is a farmer. I really feel for them...

Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

It appears from the restrictions that personal vegetable gardens are exempt even in Level 4 drought status. My flowers will just get my greywater and I'll save the watering for the veggies.

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

We are in the same shape in AL. I have been watering new trees far from the house with 5gal buckets of water, and as a result have pulled a muscle in my shoulder. If it don't rain soon I may just have to let them survive on their own. The Weather Channel says it may rain here Wednesday and Thursday, we'll see. It seems like the south had this same "high pressure system" last year that caused the rain to go north of us.

This past week has been another rough one for us with the smoke. Lord we sure do need some rain! I'm sending my prayers to all those in the immediate areas and to those who have been batteling these wild fires for so long now.

Quoted

"The South Health District issued a health advisory for Berrien, Brooks, Cook, Echols, Lanier and Lowndes counties because of the smoke caused by the current
wildfires. Public Health is asking that all outdoor events, especially recreational, be postponed until this health advisory is lifted.

The smoke from the area wildfires is a mixture of gases and fine particles from burning trees and other plant materials. Smoke can hurt your eyes, irritate
your respiratory system and worsen chronic heart and lung diseases. Small children, older adults and anyone with a chronic illness should take precautions
and limit outdoor time."

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

We can smell it in Cobb today.. I can outside working.

:(

Susan

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

We went to a family reunion in Al last weekend and stopped at a vegetable stand right outside Montg., so we could take dad some fresh vegs and the man told me they haven't had any rain there in 7 weeks.
After seeing the drought last summer, I planted a few drought tolerant plants that won't need much water. I sneak out and water after the neighbors leave for work Shhh....

I'm looking into soaps etc to make my indoor water friendly for my plants. I honestly can't remember when we've had rain. I posted somewhere on this forum when we got one tenth of an inch maybe 3? weeks ago, but that was the first we've had since the beginning of April.

Roopville, GA(Zone 7b)

the smoke was bad here this morning. i am in west georgia and can't believe it has traveled this far. i can't imagine how it must be where these fires are actually burning. i couldn't stay outside long because i have asthma and it was getting to me. i sure hope these fires can be put out soon. i feel for the ones who have lost homes and land.

Evans, GA(Zone 7b)

Today the smoke is the worst it has been in the Augusta area. It is very uncomfortable to be outside. I was told that this is because of the low cloud cover. I can only imagine how terrible it has been for people living in these conditions for weeks on end.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I cannot imagine either...it is really bad here today as well....

It is getting very depressing, and I'm probably a good 50 to 60 miles away but the visibility in the a.m. and p.m. is less than 2 miles most days. The smoke is thick with harsh fumes ... causing many allergies. I can't imagine what it's like to be closer. Health advisories have been issued for counties in my area. I can't stand to go outside again today. :-(

Roopville, GA(Zone 7b)

i pray these fires are out soon. rain would help so much! we have smoke here again today as well.

kelly

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.