what temperature can a large ficus benjamin go out ?

rhinelander, WI(Zone 4a)

outside ? 42F ? the next two nights are in the low 40s. Jim

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

I'd wait until temps stay in the mid 50's at night.

Tom

(Zone 1)

I agree with Tom .... low 40's is a bit cold for Ficus. It could handle a couple of nights in the high 40's or low 50's if it's not really dry, but it's better to wait until the temperatures are in a more stable, warmer range to leave it out. From my experience the Ficus prefer warmth and humidity.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Physiologically speaking, here's what happens to Ficus (other than F. carica - a hardy fig) when exposed to chill:

As temperatures drop below about 55*, the photosynthesizing mechanism of the plant slows dramatically. This forces the plant to run on "batteries" (stored carbohydrates - sugars - starches) the plant has accumulated. When a plant is using more photosynthate than it produces, the plant is in decline or stressed. Stress eventually leads to strain if uncorrected, and the death of the organism.

Additionally, after a return to favorable temperatures, tropical Ficus return to their normal ability to photosynthesize very slowly, so the chill you expose your tree to today may still be having an effect on the tree many days later.

I've often suggested that 50-55* be set as the lowest limit we should expose our Ficus to, only to have someone chime in with, "I keep my trees out all winter on the porch & it regularly gets down in the 30s and my trees are perfectly healthy." Hmmm - they may look healthy to that person, but they cannot see what is happening to the tree's energy reserves.

Temperatures that seesaw from high to low & back again seem to take a greater toll, and it's the quick chills (including cold drafts) that cause a more definite defoliation response.

Al

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.