Hummers here?

There are a total of 628 votes:

No hummingbirds yet - but they'll be here soon!
(137 votes, 21%)
Red dot

Any day now, and I've got the feeders up for them
(52 votes, 8%)
Red dot

I spotted the first one this week!
(98 votes, 15%)
Red dot

They've been here for several weeks now
(187 votes, 29%)
Red dot

I live in an area where they stay all winter
(73 votes, 11%)
Red dot

There are never hummingbirds here
(44 votes, 7%)
Red dot

It's not summer here
(37 votes, 5%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Blyth, ON(Zone 5b)

My vote - It's not summer here. It's barely even spring actually - we're just barely beginning to stay above freezing every night!

Sheesh - can't spell this morning.

This message was edited Apr 30, 2007 7:25 AM

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

My vote - I spotted the first one this week! Actually, though, it was more like 2-3 weeks ago - it was hovering around my blooming aloe vera.

Franklin Grove, IL(Zone 5a)

There's nothing to feed them here yet.

Selma, AL(Zone 8a)

I need to get new feeders

Kalamazoo, MI

I plant the plants and put up the feeder every spring. Have only ever seen one on one of the butterfly bushes. :-( But we can go up north and see lots. :-)

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Yes and No. Feeding since early March. The first scouts came thru. An occasional bird in the evening will come to a feeder.

This is really late and odd. Hope they aren't going the way of the bees. We need some critters to do the pollination.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I voted it's not summer here, but I've been watching the ruby throat migration map and see that they are getting closer every day. Yesterday I did wash up the feeders and put them out just in case those that we had last summer remember us and come back early.

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

They've been here for several weeks. Just don't see much of them at this time since they're busy eating food that's good for them (like spiders and small insects) instead of all that sugar water! Have to get the body healthy to lay those two enormous eggs (enormous in comparison to their body weight!), so we see them less at the fast food feeders... I've seen them sipping from the salvia.

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

They're buzzing around and dive bombing me every day! We actually have an occasional Anna all winter long, but they're here in droves now, along with the Rufous, who are the main divers and bombers.

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

We plan to put the feeder out next weekend! Can't wait to see the li'l cuties!

Coast range of, OR(Zone 8b)

I've got to remember not to wear red while gardening...I like seeing them at the feeders but when they buzz by while I'm on my hands and knees pulling weeds like a maniac, it kinda freaks me out.

Cardiff, ON(Zone 4a)

I put that it's not summer here, however, I probably should have put that there are never hummingbirds here. It would be nice if there were though.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Supposedly they've been here for several weeks, but I just saw the first one this week. It was on the honeysuckle. Still haven't seen on at the feeders.

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

I put that they would be here soon. I'm not sure when they usually arrive this far north. Last year was the first year we had hummers. I'll have the check the reports and see where they are this week.

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

I voted for never any hummingbirds here, but actually that isn't true. The fact is, I don't ever see them. Other people do, but I can't seem to get my eye on the little buggers.

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

My feeders have been out for two wks havent really seen them until today when my cat got one lucky I was fast enought and got it away from her, hummer was o-kay
love to watch them.

Zolfo Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Have had hummers for about 3 wks now. Linda

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I've lived in Calgary all my life and have never seen a hummer here, though apparently they do come to Calgary.

Quesnel, BC(Zone 4a)

First one spotted two days ago. Late this year, but so is everything else. Pulmonaria has just started to bloom; that's our local sign that the hummers will show up. Last year had over 20 regulars; Calliope, Rufous and even a few Black-Chinned which are rare in this area. (Interior BC - Cariboo-Chilcotin)

Houston, United States(Zone 9b)

Fed them last year in another area....but they love the flowers anyhow. Trying to find replacement feeder as we had a beautiful one last year but it was glass and shattered during one of it's many washes and refillings. I don't care for the plastic ones but guess that's better than breaking!

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

The pineapple crops in Hawaii depend upon UNpollinated pines...and hummers LOVE pineapples... So, no hummingbirds in Hawaii and they are forbidden entry....it would be devastating if they got in!!! ;>(

Houston, United States(Zone 9b)

Well I love pineapples so I hope no one will be thoughtless or careless enough to let hummers into Hawaii!

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Yeah, the hummers are here....have both the plants they love and feeders going.....just can't get pics in time....

Corning, OH(Zone 6a)

The first male arrived here last Monday the 23rd. Believe it or not last year the first male arrived on the exact same day ! I already had a few feeders up and waiting. By summer there should be 40-50 hummers here with 10 feeders going strong.

Here he is............

Thumbnail by DiOhio
mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i don't put feeders out but they still come to my garden (for the flowers). nothing yet though for this year.

i read an interesting post somewhere last year here that if you spray the feeders with pam, you won't have any yellow jackets but it doesn't bother the hummers at all. just a little food for thought.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Don't get hummers here. A hummer in Britain - or anywhere in the Old World - would be the birding Event of the Century.

Resin

Spring Hill, FL(Zone 9a)

They have been here for a couple weeks. They seem to favor the orange flowers on the Aloe Vera.

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Mine are late this year. I usually see them at least two earlier. I hope they get here soon.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Never occured to me there was a season for hummers, I have living in California so long... they love the winter blooming Aloes in my yard.

Saluda, SC(Zone 8a)

Just checked my notes and realized we sighted the first one at our feeder exactly 1 month ago today!!
I have a total of 4 feeders around the house and I think there about six fighting over them right now.
Last year we thought we saw fledglings, so maybe they and their parents are back at the old homeplace this year to nest ; surely hope so.

Las Cruces, NM(Zone 8b)

the little guys have be here for two weeks feeding mostly on the red yuccas, some on the feeder. this year i have a pair of Scott's Orioles at the feeder. i have order an oriole feeder. hope it gets here soon so i don't lose the pair.

Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

Hummers are here in Danville, Va and have been for a week now.
Susan

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Saw a red throat today and 4 others get out more feeders.

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

I am so used to them so don't know exactly when the arrived but have seen them zooming around for last two or three weeks.

Stratford, CT(Zone 6b)

Where I am, I see maybe 2 or 3 a year and only in October when they are migrating.

Concord, CA(Zone 9a)

They are here year round. They make the smallest nests you have ever seen on my patio.
They hang out in the orange tree.

Hebron, KY

I voted for this one choice; "I spotted the first one this week!", but I actually saw the first one last week. DH and I are always thrilled to see the Hummers come back and stay for the Spring to Fall! We have 4 feeders (2 in front & 2 in back) that we refill daily besides growing lots of flowers in the ground and containers for them.

Marilyn

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I chose that I spotted the first one last week. That is not exactly true. I heard the first one last week. I haven't seen one yet but the sound of their wings is unbelievable, like a little tiny jet airplane!

Glennie, MI(Zone 5a)

They will be here soon....The cherry trees are starting to blossom. Our old cherry tree is about 40 ft tall,and it is usually full of them. Aleta

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.