Horn Farm Cannas Co-Op participants.. how are yours growing?

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Beautiful border Pheitmeyer, I haven't done very well with mine, but a few are doing well and I hope to get more next year to replace those I lost. I finally got a bloom on one and I see another that is almost ready. I think this is probably a Crimson Beauty but will have to look thru my notes. I'll post another pic tomorrow. Holly

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Very pretty!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Here's a better pic and the hummers have found it all ready this morning.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

nice blooms all!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Something Yellow this way comes!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Holly, that canna is going to have a huge bloom! Be sure to post a picture!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Here she is first bloom and more to come.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Another shot of the same plant. That should be a Cleopatra. I only have 7 canna that made it this year. This is the second one to bloom and there is a third that has a bloom comming up. I have to check my chart and see what it should be. It's not far enough along to even guess at this point. This looks very nice next to the Crimson Beauty. Can anyone say Canna Co-op for next spring?????

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Here is a pic of the area where they are planted. There is a hedge of Hollies that was put in last fall, (small bushes in background) and the ornamental grass in front. The area between was a pretty large dirt pile, that was moved some last fall when the Hollies were planted and the rest this spring. That's where the cannas are planted along with a few Scarlet milkweed and there is a butterfly bush to the right. We will be doing a lot of work on this bed area next year, but I really like the cannas there, and will be adding more. The Scarlet milkweed and the Ornamental grass will also be staying but moved around a little.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Ah, the third one is comming, If you look at the previous pic you can just see it as a white spot between the red and yellow blooms. And how appropriate being between the red and yellow, It looks orange to me. It should be a Stadt Feltbach, guess we'll find out soon.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

http://buggycrazy.vstore.ca/ery nice Holly, thanks for sharing...beautiful Garden Area!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Janet, Link didn't take me to the exact page you wanted me to see. It just redirected me to the Home page.

Here are a few more pics/Stadt Feltbach

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

A different angle on that bed, with some early morning haze. The other four cannas aren't showing blooms yet but there should be Maudie Malcolm and Wyoming still to come.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

LOL Holly I have no idea why I sent the link...what was I trying to share with you? Mind has left the skull...will advise when and if it returns....LOL

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

very nice blooms all!!

Rankin, IL(Zone 5a)

Red King Humbert was listed as a 5 foot canna, it has just about reached 6 foot. Very pretty though. I bought 3, 1 didn't come up, 1 is almost 6 foot and the last one is about 2 foot... all planted together. Interesting, isn't it?

Thumbnail by frans530
Rankin, IL(Zone 5a)

Question:
Do cannas produce seed? Is this a seed pod?

Thumbnail by frans530
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Yes, they do produce seed, and will grow from seed to flower in a few months time....that is a seed pod...it should ripen on the plant, will turn brown and split open to reveal the seed, normally three or four seed in a pod. Very pretty!!!

Rankin, IL(Zone 5a)

Hey Janet, is there anywhere on here your not...lol I should just start directing my questions to you via dmail.
Next question, a lot of those pods are falling off, a couple are brown (ripe?) but most are still green. Should I collect them and put them in a brown paper sack to finish?

One other question, if grown by seed, I assume they are not true to the parent plant, will they form tubers? OK, that was 2 questions.

This message was edited Aug 11, 2007 11:02 AM

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

No Fran, I am everywhere!!! That was what my children always thought too, couldn't get anything by me...lol

Look at ones that are brown and see if there are any seeds in them...I have had several that will form the green pods and be sterile (I guess) and not have seeds at all..they just drop off. As for them being true from seed. It is my understanding that they will come true from seed. But I could be wrong. I know they sell the seed on several places and they carry the parent names, so that is where I got my idea they come true from seed.

If you have seed they will be nice black round seeds about the size of a black eyed pea....

(Tammie) Odessa, TX(Zone 7b)

I finally have some pictures to share of my Horn Farm Cannas... they are almost overwhelmed by the zinnias that I threw in the bed before the cannas started growing. I just tossed a bunch of seeds in hoping one or two would grow. LOL That is the cleopatra blooming.

This message was edited Aug 11, 2007 2:45 PM

Thumbnail by LhasaLover

Here is my crimson beauty blooming.. it is the one to the right of the cleo in the first picture.. took it a couple more weeks to bloom.

Thumbnail by LhasaLover
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Very nice Tammie, I love the Zinnias too!

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 7b)

That one is nice and full! Have to remember that for next co-op

chris

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Your Cannas loo wonderful with those Zinnas. I have a friend that has a beautiful huge Zinna bed. I've already put Zinnas on my list for next year.

Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

No, cannas do not come true from seed. Just like lilies or daylilies unless you have a way to keep them 'to themselves' which most average gardeners don't have.

And I was told that you can't call the resulting canna by the cannas name that the seed came from. Like try to stop me!!! LOL

Usually the ones with striped leaves won't produce seeds, I don't know why. I have been getting a lot of seeds from my various cannas this year and I am keeping them separated BY NAME so if anyone wants some, let me know and I will share. And then you can grow some too.

I just picked some Lenape this morning.

Susan
=^..^=

Rankin, IL(Zone 5a)

Susan, why not call them as we do in the Hosta world, ie Red King Humbert Seedling.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks for clarifying that Susan. I wonder how the Canna growers do it....they sell seeds from different ones....do any of them come true from seed? LOL

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Susan, I would love to have some of your seeds! I forgot to add that..lol It is so dry here I am not sure a lot of mine are going to bloom this year, what a disappointment...but maybe in the Fall...when it cools a little!

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Cleopatra! I love this one!

Thumbnail by JanetS
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Another so you can see the leaves better...this is such a pretty canna!

Thumbnail by JanetS
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Here is another of my favorite....an old stand of Wyoming..these are not from the co-op, but they just make me smile!

Thumbnail by JanetS
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Close up of the flower....

Thumbnail by JanetS

That is an outstanding Cleopatra. Mine is about to bloom again. I just noticed this evening. I planted one at my mothers and found a bloom on it a few days ago. That plant was in a hurry to bloom.. it is only about 2 ft tall including the top of the bloom! It was hiding behind the cosmos flower plants!

Tammie

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I love Cleo..lol she is just a "proud Queen" in my backyard..lol

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

It's been a rainy and dreary couple of days. My canna bed sure is a bright spot in my yard. Here is a shot of my Cleo's and there are more blooms comming.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

WOW!!! Beautiful!!!

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

I finally got my first blooms this wknd. Cleo also. I really find it spectacular. I'm kinda disappointed in the Black Knight and (? name escapes me). I know i got them too crowded and we didn't have rain for 2 months so my guess is they didn't like city water very well. It's been raining almost every day for 3 weeks now and they're going to bloom in a few days.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

That is great, maybe Black Knight and the other will come through now that Fall is upon us....we have had such weird weather, and they do love rain and a good fertilizer too, I think they are pretty heavy eaters when they get started blooming..does anyone else know about that part?

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

I have three untagged cannas from Horn and need to try and get a name if possible.
First one two years old

Thumbnail by TARogers5

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.